The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I saw just rewatched the TV series and End of Evangelion for the first time this week. The first time I saw them was in the late 90s when I was in high school. My feelings about the following parts changed the most:

First Viewing

Show in general: This show has great art, writing and music, and is a great example of why anime is cooler than American media!

Shinji: Wow, this guy is exactly like me! How did they read my mind?

Rei: Oh man, she's the coolest girl I've ever seen on a screen! Drool...

Asuka: She's really annoying, but in a fun, anime kind of way.

Misato: Shinji's kinda unfortunate to have been brought into the life of such a slob.

Kaji: ...

Rewatch

Show in general: This show holds up, but it suffers from Citizen Kane syndrome thanks to stuff like Xenogears and Pacific Rim.

Shinji: Middle school and high school sure were depressing. I'm so glad those years are long gone and I've become a better adjusted person.

Rei: My god, what did I ever see in her? I struggle to even see her as a human being now. If a real girl was this unemotional and introverted she'd be in intensive therapy, not piloting a giant robot. Good thing this show doesn't dwell on her any longer than it has to or I might want to hang myself.

Asuka: Dayum she's hot! She only annoys Shinji because she wants him to be the best he can be! Too bad her underlying problems are as bad as everyone else's and she never helps Shinji figure her out. Also too bad I avoided girls like her when I was in middle and high school, but then again I wouldn't have been able to figure them out either.

Misato: Misato has her problems but she's really generous to take in a lonely, neglected teenager.

Kaji: He knows what level he's on with the ladies. He gets it on with Misato, only flirts with Ritsuko and acts stone cold towards Asuka. Smart.

I'm going to watch the Rebuilds next. I posted this before reading this thread, so I'm looking forward to catching up on the conversations you guys had about this show eight years ago.

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?