The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Text bellow presumes having viewed through s5e4:
Regarding healing fluids, I'd assumed Steven and Rose had healing capabilities in most any fluid of theirs, but like all of Steven's powers, it remains tied to emotion, so the grief of losing Lars is what made his tears finally able to do something so strong as raising the dead.

Regarding the trial, I've long thought Pearl might turn out to be the actual killer of Pink Diamond, and that Rose accepted the blame to spare Pearl being targeted, and to rally the rebellion, which also further contributed to Pearl's sense of devotion and obligation to her. I hadn't considered Eyeball's testimony that she witnessed the murder, but Rubies on the show thus far have left me less than convinced by their testimonies, and it's completely possible Rose poofed Pink Diamond immediately followed by another shattering her (probably to Rose's surprise)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Not a Beer

I could see Pearl shattering an already-poofed Pink Diamond in a moment of emotion if she was convinced that letting her live would lead to Rose eventually being defeated and probably shattered herself. Maybe. Not completely sure why Yellow would want to cover that up as well if she knew (as her actions in the trial seem to hint), except maybe due to the fact that as Pearls aren't even warriors it would be an even more unthinkable act and more upsetting to the status quo than a rogue Quartz.

And tangential to something Johnny asked, it seems like White Diamond just isn't around in corporeal form much in recent history (aside from never seeing her nobody even refers to her as someone anybody would run into or report to). Yes, she might be a fusion, but that raises other questions, and we have so little to go on with regards to her it's hard to say.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 PM
Bob

It is at all possible that since White Diamond is Pearl's Diamond, that White Diamond was the one who contacted Pearl, somehow, and gave her the chance to shatter Pink Diamond and prove herself to Rose once and for all? It would be weird, considering we know next to nothing about White Diamond, but it would make sense given that we've heard next to nothing yet about Pearl and White Diamond's obvious connection.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 AM
King Of Space-Time

I did theorize earlier that our Pearl was White Diamond's. You'll note that Pearls match their owners in hue and gem placement. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll edit in a link to that post later.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 AM
Bob

Er, yeah. I think we've all said multiple times at this point that White Diamond and Pearl are related in this way. Hence my use of the word "obvious", although I suppose we all could still be wrong.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Oh, oh, oh, I forgot to mention my favourite theory (which I'm sure others have had) that seems obvious in retrospect (pun intended).

So Padparadscha can only see backwards in time. But how far. Right now she's only talking about things that just happened, but what if through concentration, practice and/or fusion she can extend it. Like way far back. Like thousands of years. Like to the events of the shattering of Pink Diamond (if she goes to the scene of the crime). Also, if her power can do that like I feel it might, that's a crazy useful power in life.

And if that is an episode, I feel like there's just the one formula: she sees it and it is as everyone says it is... but then she sees the same event from a different angle and learns an entirely different story.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 AM
>MAGIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Oh, oh, oh, I forgot to mention my favourite theory (which I'm sure others have had) that seems obvious in retrospect (pun intended).

[...]

And if that is an episode, I feel like there's just the one formula: she sees it and it is as everyone says it is... but then she sees the same event from a different angle and learns an entirely different story.
Or what if she sees events in reverse order? Because, at least in Blue Zircon's supposition, the mystery is at the beginning of the encounter. So, Rose shatters Pink Diamond, Pink Diamond steps down from the palanquin, Rose steps forward... then the twist is, where did she come from?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Sudden chomper

I can never read this thread, because I'm watching the show through iTunes and I'm always one week to one month behind the discussion.

ANYWAY, the soundtrack album came out! It's really cool to have official versions of songs that I've been listening to for a couple of years now - though sometimes it's weird when the final mixes bring out instruments that were barely audible in the TV versions. I'm pretty impressed with how thorough it is; Peace and Love on the Planet Earth is clearly essential, but stuff like the Jam Song and Destiny would have been easy to overlook. As far as I can tell, the only song that was omitted was the little ditty that Steven sings at the end of Serious Steven, though maybe I'm forgetting something. Of course, there's a TON of great incidental and background music in this show courtesy of Aivi and Surasshu, but that's what sites like Soundcloud Downloader are for.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
It is at all possible that since White Diamond is Pearl's Diamond, that White Diamond was the one who contacted Pearl, somehow, and gave her the chance to shatter Pink Diamond and prove herself to Rose once and for all? It would be weird, considering we know next to nothing about White Diamond, but it would make sense given that we've heard next to nothing yet about Pearl and White Diamond's obvious connection.
Yeah, there is the possibility that this was a conspiracy of White Diamond's all along, and Yellow perhaps suspects it but prefers the official narrative for reasons of societal stability and/or her own peace of mind. But it's awfully hard to speculate about White with so little to go on.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:57 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

So is Lion just a normal lion that Rose brought back to life with her abilities? Or is Lion the result of attempting to resurrect Pink Diamond after she was shattered? I think the Lion Is Pink Diamond Theory has been around for quite some time, and this might be another point in its favor.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Not a Beer

I dunno, I feel like it could be a point against that theory just as easily. Now that we've seen the power at work, occam's razor would suggest it's just on of the Lions we saw following her around in a flashback that died, she cried on it, now it's magic pink portal lion. Though that's not to say there might not be more to it, just that's what it looks like with current information.

As a side note, this also implies that Lars is now more or less immortal? So that could be something he'll need to deal with eventually.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 AM
the :motion: stands

And also he may or may not still have emotions. It's unclear as to whether he was just in shock, or if he's attained a whole new state of being. Emotional zombie as it were.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Not a Beer

I kind of doubt that. We've only had a short time with him after the incident, but mainly from a writing perspective I can't imagine them just hitting a reset on his whole emotional arc/growth so far.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:03 PM
>MAGIC

And everyone has emotions, even the people who say they don't or seem like they don't or whose job it is to not have emotions. And Lars is an emotionally volatile teen who's been infused with pink emotion magic. He doesn't have blunted affect, he's upset about being pink and feels "freaked out" and is worried about being a zombie - what he doesn't feel is hungry or sore, bodily things, implying that he's, like, partially a light-construct or some such thing.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Highway To HFIL

Every story I've ever read where someone doesn't have emotions almost always ends up being about how they definitely totally do.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 PM
beech i told u

OK I'm all fucked up on SU and I'm ready to get ~~crazy~~:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Where the fuck is White Diamond.

That's a very good question. We've never heard of her, ever, and reportedly she's the most powerful of all the Diamonds.

So, the fanbase has a theory that she's a Fusion of White/Pink/Blue.

But what if she wasn't.

The other thing is, that our Pearl is definitely not Pink Diamond's. She was White's, going by her colour scheme. Both other Pearls we've seen share their masters' colours.

And going from Blue Zircon's deduction, it sounds like a Diamond can't easily be shattered by a "lower" gem. Only another Diamond could probably do it with the ease and swiftness attested to in the incorrect historical record.

So what if there was a Shattering, but it wasn't the one we think? What if it was White that was shattered, by Pink? Now whether you think Pink Diamond somehow became Rose Quartz (because face it, it would be deviously easy for a Diamond to maintain a shapeshifting illusion for thousands of years, plus the way Steven's gem is cut is similar to the top view of typical diamond cuts), or that Pink Diamond did commit suicide out of guilt and sorrow?

Either way, the gem we know as Rose would have felt immense guilt.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:06 AM
Smudged

That seems a bit convoluted? We've seen other Rose Quartz gems bubbled in Pink's chamber, and Rose Quartz the Rebel was a known quantity at the time of Pink's death. Also, Blue made at least one visit during the early stage of the colony, and was attacked by Rose. It'd be odd if Pink were pulling a Mrs. Doubtfire at that point.

Also, according to the Moon Murals, White owned more planets than the rest of the Diamonds combined. Someone probably would have noted her destruction by now.

White probably is involved in some way, though. The Yellow implication is a bit too obvious for the mystery they're setting up. I just hope Rose is at least complicit so Steven's character development over his mother is still based in truth.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe