The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Is there not one thing

Tulip Fever attempts to mirror personal greed with societal greed in a story of doomed love. It fails.

I would love to have seen earlier, longer cuts. The film reeks of studio meddling - it even has voiceover narration that it uses to stand up a happy ending ala Blade Runner. Characters and plotlines just vanish, or land suddenly in the middle of the action as though they had been there all along. Someone paid good money for Zach Galifianakis, but he's onscreen for all of 90 seconds. The main character takes refuge in the home of two friends we have never seen before and who have one line.

Tone is all over the place. The movie starts out slow and mournful, almost like an Amy Tan adaptation, then turns into a sex farce (complete with a case of mistaken identity that leads to a bar fight,) and closes out like a clumsy melodrama (that hinges on everyone in the movie turning into a giant idiot for about ten minutes of screentime.)

Cut to some b-roll with a side character talking about how everyone lived happily ever after. What a mess.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Goodbye!

Watched The Founder. I was tempted to say that it failed as a film by simultaneously wanting to glorify and condemn Ray Kroc, but I think maybe that's exactly why it succeeds. The main issue is that any implicit criticisms is that the movie bathes the entire era in technicolor glory and nostalgia, which utterly defangs any sense of a negative portrayal.

Truffaut once said in interview with Gene Siskel that "I find that violence is very ambiguous in movies. For example, some films claim to be antiwar, but I don't think I've really seen an antiwar film. Every film about war ends up being pro-war." I think this is maybe true of capitalism in American movies in 2017. I think The Founder demonstrates this: Kroc steals a business, a wife, and a name, and while he's occasionally shown to be self-centered in his upwards arc, at no point does that impede him in ANY WAY. In fact, in casting aside his wife and not giving her any part of his business, the narrative of the film basically rewards him for upgrading to "the new model."

In this, the sun-drenched, colorful film actually MIRRORS reality rather than reflecting the fantasy of nostalgia; the victor rewrites the history, and while the ugly parts are obviously, immediately evident, they're also easy to gloss over. Just like in real life. By all accounts, Kroc died a rich, happy man, while the McDonald brothers died knowing that someone had stolen their business and name.

This is the perfect movie for America in 2017. It's The Wolf of Wall Street as directed by Steven Spielberg, without the mollifying veneer of ethics. It should make us very angry.

Last edited by KCar; 09-05-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: made my point a little more clear
Old 09-05-2017, 01:59 PM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
For example, some films claim to be antiwar, but I don't think I've really seen an antiwar film. Every film about war ends up being pro-war." I think this is maybe true of capitalism in American movies in 2017.
We* are so dependent on capitalism for our self image that thinking it might not be "good" is intolerable. Did The Smartest Guys in the Room or The Big Short question it, or was the message more "capitalism is fine, these [very clever] men just used it in an unethical way."

*for certain values of "we"
Old 09-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
We* are so dependent on capitalism for our self image that thinking it might not be "good" is intolerable. Did The Smartest Guys in the Room or The Big Short question it, or was the message more "capitalism is fine, these [very clever] men just used it in an unethical way."

Big Short is a hard one to read, but the central message seems to be that bad people are at fault, and not capitalism as a whole. But you can also read it as saying that the system is irredeemable.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM
This Guy

I pretty much agree with KCar about The Founder. I really liked it, I think I called a perfect American tale up thread somewhere. It presents itself as something of a hagiography for Kroc, a movie about his greatness and his triumphs, but even though the movie is essentially from his pov I don't see how anyone could watch it and come away with a positive opinion of him.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post

I think The Big Short definitely condemns the finance industry. The entire thing is a document of the way that capitalists think they're winning at a fun game where for most people it's just steadily-increasing misery they have no control over. I don't have time to rewatch it right now so I don't have much more to say about it, but that was my reading of it.

I think overall the Truffaut quote is true, at least for most people. Tons of commenters spent their time pouring out bile for Skyler in Breaking Bad, Tony Soprano and Michael Corleone were considered awesome bad asses no matter how much trouble their creators went to to show what monsters they were.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Blue Comet

Just watched the new 2017 version of Stephen King's IT. I think it's better than the original, if only for the production values. The new Pennywise isn't quite as good as Tim Curry, but Bill Skarsgard is almost as good, and his monster forms are much scarier than they were in the 80s. Maybe that's to do with better special effects and a bigger budget Aside from that, it hits all the major plot points from the original miniseries (Richie the comedian, Bev's abuse from her father, etc.) while, as expected, leaving out the odder (the Turtle thing) and straight up bizarre (that weird-ass child orgy, what the fuck was King on? Aside from cocaine) bits from the book. It also incorporated humor very well--pretty much the entire audience laughed at Richie's jokes and pratfalls, along with some of the sight gags like Ben's love of cheesy 80's songs, but nobody laughed at any of the deaths or anything--a marked contrast to some of the other crappier horror movies I've seen, like "Wish Upon." I'm quite satisfied

Last edited by Vendrick; 09-08-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinosaur View Post
I think The Big Short definitely condemns the finance industry. The entire thing is a document of the way that capitalists think they're winning at a fun game where for most people it's just steadily-increasing misery they have no control over. I don't have time to rewatch it right now so I don't have much more to say about it, but that was my reading of it.
Even if TBS condemns finance, it stops short of repudiating capitalism. I might give it a look this weekend. I do recall that Michael Lewis' original book fairly bulged with admiration for the traders, and that may color my reading of the film.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Gesundheit!

Streets of Fire: It's still unbelievable to me that this was the subject of a How Did This Get Made episode. It's dumb and cheesy, but only in the most surface-level way, and the songs are awesome. The new Blu-ray from Shout Factory is a really beautiful restoration, too.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Just watched the new 2017 version of Stephen King's IT.
Hey, me too!

I have a lot of affection for the mini-series, despite it's many flaws and problems. However, a younger friend of mine (who may be seeing it soon) said everything except for Tim Curry's Pennywise sucked. Harsh, but I could see it for some one who is just seeing it for the first time like 5 years ago.

On the other hand, I kind of feel the exact opposite. Just about everything except for Pennywise in this is great. I'm bagging on Skarsgard, though. I think he did fine, he just did as he was written and directed to do. Tim Curry's Pennywise worked great because you could buy him as a real clown that kids would be drawn to, love, and laugh at/with--then crap your pants in terror a moment later. You could even laugh with him as he terrified the losers. This Pennywise? Yeah, he never is anything except a monster. He just keeps his fangs hidden most of the time. Compare the drain scene in original and this. The first appearance of Pennywise in the new version is glowing eyes accompanied by Horror Movie Music Sting. You'd have to imagine Georgie is the stupidest child in the world to not get out of there right away.

The biggest problem with IT 2017 Part 1 or whatever the hell you call this to distinguish it from the miniseries--it's a 2017 horror movie made by Hollywood. It's way, way, waaaay better than most of the pack, though (it is R-rated, thank Gan). However, while 90% of the time it oozes mood, and atmosphere, and has great direction and sets--the actual scares are awful. I never blinked, I never flinched at the scares, and I laughed at stuff I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to laugh at (not the only one, either--there were patrons probably my age who felt the same way).

Basically, jump scares and music stings ahoy. I calls a scene basically beat-for-beat before it was through. The part where Richie walks up to the little coffin thing. I whisper "fake scare incoming." Then he opens it to find the Richie-doll. A little gross but not scary. Then "wait for it..." and then he closes the lid and there's Pennywise. Same thing with the scene in the bathroom when Beverly knocks out her dad. The scene got really quiet, but didn't end. Lingered on it, and then Boo! Pennywise!

Maybe will work better for younger crowds who don't watch Italian horror movies from the 70s and 80s and old school slashers frequently--but YMMV. The really obvious CGI stuff that usually popped up when Pennywise did just made me laugh, though. Like, the version of the leper I always imagined when reading the book wasn't basically a rotting corpse that moved in fast motion as it hobbled.

However, I think it works great with most of the rest of the scenes, and the finale was done quite well. Really good acting for the kids (which it really, really needed or the film would have fallen apart). I worried the R-rating would just be used to amp up the gore effects--and it doesn't really do that. It just tackles the mature subject matter a little better. They still gloss over things or omit them, but I think they got the point across. Surprised that I don't think Henry ever called Mike the "n" word--maybe that was cut considering recent events. Also, less animal cruelty is always fine with me--although they tease or reference moments from the book.

Many scenes or things that were cut from the novel seem to be referenced, as well as other things fans may appreciate. The turtle, for instance. Also, I believe I saw carved into the side of the kissing bridge Rich + Inez--referencing Mr. and Mrs. Bachman.

So overall--a more faithful version of the original novel, that takes good advantage of the R-rating. However, the parts with Pennywise may or may not work for you based on how you feel about modern horror movies and blatant cgi.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Blue Comet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Hey, me too!

I have a lot of affection for the mini-series, despite it's many flaws and problems. However, a younger friend of mine (who may be seeing it soon) said everything except for Tim Curry's Pennywise sucked. Harsh, but I could see it for some one who is just seeing it for the first time like 5 years ago.

On the other hand, I kind of feel the exact opposite. Just about everything except for Pennywise in this is great. I'm bagging on Skarsgard, though. I think he did fine, he just did as he was written and directed to do. Tim Curry's Pennywise worked great because you could buy him as a real clown that kids would be drawn to, love, and laugh at/with--then crap your pants in terror a moment later. You could even laugh with him as he terrified the losers. This Pennywise? Yeah, he never is anything except a monster. He just keeps his fangs hidden most of the time. Compare the drain scene in original and this. The first appearance of Pennywise in the new version is glowing eyes accompanied by Horror Movie Music Sting. You'd have to imagine Georgie is the stupidest child in the world to not get out of there right away.

The biggest problem with IT 2017 Part 1 or whatever the hell you call this to distinguish it from the miniseries--it's a 2017 horror movie made by Hollywood. It's way, way, waaaay better than most of the pack, though (it is R-rated, thank Gan). However, while 90% of the time it oozes mood, and atmosphere, and has great direction and sets--the actual scares are awful. I never blinked, I never flinched at the scares, and I laughed at stuff I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to laugh at (not the only one, either--there were patrons probably my age who felt the same way).

Basically, jump scares and music stings ahoy. I calls a scene basically beat-for-beat before it was through. The part where Richie walks up to the little coffin thing. I whisper "fake scare incoming." Then he opens it to find the Richie-doll. A little gross but not scary. Then "wait for it..." and then he closes the lid and there's Pennywise. Same thing with the scene in the bathroom when Beverly knocks out her dad. The scene got really quiet, but didn't end. Lingered on it, and then Boo! Pennywise!

Maybe will work better for younger crowds who don't watch Italian horror movies from the 70s and 80s and old school slashers frequently--but YMMV. The really obvious CGI stuff that usually popped up when Pennywise did just made me laugh, though. Like, the version of the leper I always imagined when reading the book wasn't basically a rotting corpse that moved in fast motion as it hobbled.

However, I think it works great with most of the rest of the scenes, and the finale was done quite well. Really good acting for the kids (which it really, really needed or the film would have fallen apart). I worried the R-rating would just be used to amp up the gore effects--and it doesn't really do that. It just tackles the mature subject matter a little better. They still gloss over things or omit them, but I think they got the point across. Surprised that I don't think Henry ever called Mike the "n" word--maybe that was cut considering recent events. Also, less animal cruelty is always fine with me--although they tease or reference moments from the book.

Many scenes or things that were cut from the novel seem to be referenced, as well as other things fans may appreciate. The turtle, for instance. Also, I believe I saw carved into the side of the kissing bridge Rich + Inez--referencing Mr. and Mrs. Bachman.

So overall--a more faithful version of the original novel, that takes good advantage of the R-rating. However, the parts with Pennywise may or may not work for you based on how you feel about modern horror movies and blatant cgi.
Yeah. Honestly, though, I liked the CGI in this film better than the effects in the original miniseries. I know it sounds weird, but hear me out. In the original miniseries, the strongest parts of Pennywise were how Tim Curry carried the character--the sarcastic but gleeful clown who elicited fear by how cruelly yet jauntily he mocked the people he aimed on killing. "Under" Pennywise, though...those parts were always pretty weak. When Tim Curry wasn't acting anymore, and we got to see what was beneath IT's exterior, it was always...either goofy "80's bright light" or that slimy spider thing that looked like a cheap ripoff of the thing from Creature (which was already a cheap ripoff of Alien).

The CGI in 2017, on the other hand...regardless of its quality, or whether or not you think it had too many teeth, conveyed the sense of something far more alien underneath the Pennywise exterior. Considerably better than the original miniseries did, IMO. Remember, in the original books, Pennywise is supposed to be a very Lovecraftian entity--a cosmic horror whose true form is incomprehensible, so much so that to even glimpse it is to go mad. If you ask me, a Pennywise with thousands of thousands of teeth, whose eyes can barely seem stable, and whose head splits apart into yet another ocean of teeth in which the Deadlights lurk...is a more Lovecraftian entity than one which just has a lot of weird light inside it and/or can turn its limbs into standard insectoid creature appendages.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

No, I totally agree on that. It's part of why I said the finale was done quite well. I think the direction was great overall. I think where the problems came it were probably producer mandates to "make it like a modern horror film," or "make Pennywise more scary." There are far too many nods and Easter eggs for me to think that there was love for the source material. The has too many teeth thing sounds like some one else's criticism. But yeah, I read the novel, too. A buddy of mine joked "he's the original killer clown from outer space." Also, I mentioned to the friend I went with that this was a good time to be afraid of clowns. Killer Klowns in 88 is what he thought of, but I meant Batman '89, and the miniseries, of course, was 1990. Is it any wonder that kids my age claim to be coulrophobes?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Family Man

An It without Tim Curry as Pennywise sounds about as unimaginable as the monster's true form.

It's weird how It is a cosmic force who's eternal enemy is a turtle god that barfed up our universe, and yet he spends all his time in Maine eating kids.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Yup, but that makes sense in much the way that 99% Marvel comic book characters and stories take place in or around New York City.

I think we just don't know what Skarsgard could have done as a Curry-esque Pennywise. The director of this one loathes the miniseries so it probably was intentional.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29 PM

I just came from It. Unless Bladerunner 2049 is amazing, It will probably be my favorite movie of the year.

I thought the Losers Club actors were all great. I liked Pennywise a lot too. The scariest scene for me was when Bill goes down in his basement and Pennywise and Georgie are there together and then Pennywise comes for Bill. Pennywise moves fast and chaotically when chasing Bill which I found unsettling.

I also loved Pennywise's Lair with the Dancing Clown Circus car, orange lighting, and floating children.

I've read the book, but it has been ages. Is one of Its forms in the book a giant spider? Was that omitted, happen with the adult Losers Club, or am I misremembering entirely?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Find Your Reason

Just came out of It, and loved It. Been a while since I saw an actually scary horror film --and I had never seen, watched, or read any other version before this, other than the ubiquitous film stills of the old Pennywise. But the audience absolutely lapped it up, jumping and screaming and going "oh fuck" and laughing in catharsis after every scare. The one when Pennywise grabs Beverly, while I saw it telegraphed by the shot, made the entire theater scream (My favorite was the Ring-style "coming out of the screen" one, though. I jumped hella high at THAT one.)

Is there any reason Pennywise's true head looks like an actually well-rendered version of a TV Langolier? I thought he was supposed to be a spider.

And, man, if there is a sequel, they set up a HELL of a conflict between Ben, Beverly, and Bill.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Better be the real thing.

It does appear as a giant spider, or at least that's the closest way of approximating a description of It.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I thought the Losers Club actors were all great. I liked Pennywise a lot too. The scariest scene for me was when Bill goes down in his basement and Pennywise and Georgie are there together and then Pennywise comes for Bill. Pennywise moves fast and chaotically when chasing Bill which I found unsettling.
It reminded me of the scene in Killer Klowns from Outer Space when one of the klowns uses the sheriff as a puppet. Whether that or just the scene itself, it was pretty funny I think. Didn't care for Georgie's performance in that scene. The part where he's screaming over and over "you'll float too!" just was awful, I think. Didn't work at all for me, at least.

Plus the trailers used that scene and it just lays there and dies for me when I saw it in the trailer.

The chase part didn't either, but that's a subjective thing. Part of that is that when I see fast-motion, it usually doesn't scare me, unless it's a misshapen, non-human thing i.e. Jacob's Ladder. Otherwise I think of Benny Hill and the Munsters, and I can't take it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
It does appear as a giant spider, or at least that's the closest way of approximating a description of It.
Yeah, sort of like one. He didn't use that form in the movie's ending, but I think we saw something like that in shadow, from a distance, in one of the scenes in the Neibolt house. Also, my buddy said there was a spider puppet or something in the cellar but I missed it.

The spider in the miniseries is frequently mocked aspect of the miniseries, so I think they intended to avoid it entirely or any comparisons.

Last edited by Andrew; 09-09-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
[08/09/2017 3:43:45 PM] Andrew Allen: SO! It is out in theatres
[08/09/2017 3:44:02 PM] Ada Bee: What's out in theatres?
[08/09/2017 3:44:10 PM] Andrew Allen: It
[08/09/2017 3:44:24 PM] Ada Bee: What is it?
[08/09/2017 3:44:34 PM] Andrew Allen: Stephen King's It.
[08/09/2017 3:44:59 PM] Ada Bee: I don't care if Stephen King is it, just tell me what's out in theatres!
[08/09/2017 3:45:55 PM] Andrew Allen: It! That it, they very definition if IT, the only it that it can be... It.
[08/09/2017 3:46:39 PM] Ada Bee: You still haven't told me what it is.
[08/09/2017 3:46:59 PM] Andrew Allen: !@$@% #$%^@! #%&*$%^&#@$%$^ #$^#$^& @$%^!#$ @$%& $#%^*&@#$#%!@#$^ $..... A clown...
[08/09/2017 3:47:19 PM] Ada Bee: Are you calling me a clown?
[08/09/2017 3:47:39 PM] Andrew Allen: No?
[08/09/2017 3:48:03 PM] Ada Bee: Then why won't you tell me what it is?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

Third Base!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Another thing that was at the back of my mind with It. While being more violent, bloody and direct with much of its content and themes, it was just as hesitant to actually show kids getting killed, or the results of that.

You assume it would be more explicit, with the opening scene with Georgie. However, while we see Georgie had gotten his arm bitten off, and a bit of him thrashing around, his whereabouts are unknown rather him being just dead (presumably from bleeding out). As are most of the other kids.

In fact, the missing kids seem to be uninjured and their bodies intact when we see them at the end of movie. It's always been Pennywise's thing to "feed on fear," but in the novel bodies showed up maimed and partially eaten. I had assumed that probably he still somewhat physically sustained himself on the flesh and blood, but actually needed hormones released into the body when victims were terrified, or something like that.

In the new movie, it seemed that, yes, Pennywise could maim and injure for sure, but that he constantly held back. Like he more literally fed on the fear rather than the victims themselves. When they were paralyzed from the deadlights, I assumed he would just continue to feed on them until their bodies just gave out from starvation and dehydration (which would explain why their bodies were intact. If the kids were dead why were they still floating around? Probably just for the visual, I guess. If they were dead, I would think letting the bodies go to pass through the sewer system would aid his end goal--dead kids showing up all the time would make the kids more afraid, you know? Yet, it seemed like the losers didn't even know kids disappearing constantly was a thing until Ben pointed it out. Maybe it was just an exposition device (the novel recounted multiple cases of the disappearances, seemingly random acts of violence, and directly imparts this knowledge to you). Presumably the parents would have tried to shield kids from knowing. However, that kind of runs at odds with what we know about the 80's--it was the era of "stranger danger" being talked about constantly. The curfew was in place at the very least a year after Georgie's disappearance.

Oh well, probably at least the missing kids' fate will be explained more in the follow-up. Henry took a seemingly impossible to survive fall, but we don't 100% know if he is dead. However, if he didn't survive, and Patrick was just freed from the Deadlights, he could have gone insane and fill a similar role in Part 2 as Henry did in the novel in the present-day.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

I don't know jack fucking shit about It outside of this movie and I thought it was an excellent monster movie/coming-of-age story. All of the kids were likable and every adult in their lives was grotesque, unreliable, and "off" in some way that put me off almost as much as Pennywise himself. Bill Skarsgard is perfect in the role.

I'm guessing that further King knowlede would have made this more rewarding, of course. I came to that conclusion after the fourteenth or fifteenth close-up of Billy's bicycle.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Just talking about the book rather than the movie, since I haven't seen it yet, but I took it that Its true form wasn't a spider, and It wasn't trying to look like a spider, but the kids just convinced themselves It was a Spider, so that's what It wound up being. It was established throughout the story that all of Its shapeshifting is based pretty much completely on whatever you believe, so they turned that against him and made him something theoretically beatable.

Not very beatable, as its still a billion-year-old demon god made of entropy, but still pretty beatable.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Not very beatable, as its still a billion-year-old demon god made of entropy, but still pretty beatable.
I've only seen the miniseries, but don't they just throw a rock at it?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I've only seen the miniseries, but don't they just throw a rock at it?
Nope; theres a complicated magical ritual that destroys him.

Though, to be fair they also throw a rock at It
Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Was it a big rock?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Family Man

I'm glad this turned out well. Maybe I'll see it soon.

Pennywise doesn't look scary at all, however.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
It reminded me of the scene in Killer Klowns from Outer Space when one of the klowns uses the sheriff as a puppet. Whether that or just the scene itself, it was pretty funny I think. Didn't care for Georgie's performance in that scene. The part where he's screaming over and over "you'll float too!" just was awful, I think. Didn't work at all for me, at least.

Plus the trailers used that scene and it just lays there and dies for me when I saw it in the trailer.
If that scene didn't work for you that is fine. It worked for me. I also put myself on media blackout for It once I saw one trailer and some images of Pennywise.

One of your chief criticisms is that the movie lacks any real scares. What is the last movie that genuinely scared you?

As an adult I find it very difficult to be scared by horror movies in the same way horror movies scared me as teen. For me, It had scary moments within its run time. When it was over I didn't have many lingering thoughts of dread or discomfort. But I would say the same thing for the Witch, It Follows, and most every other horror movie I see.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:56 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

That's cool! I liked the majority of the film and appreciate a lot of what they were going for here. Not trying to sandbag it for anyone who loved it 100%.

I originally didn't like thought of any new, mainstream Hollywood re-adaption of It, and found myself pleasantly surprised. I am fully admitting I'm a jaded eye (and know the story already), and yet still mostly dug it.

I'd agree on The Witch as far as recent. However, if I only liked horror movies that scared me, I wouldn't be a horror fan. However, the specific type of scare that major studio horror films do anymore, jump scares, just make them repetitive and boring. It's even worse when the soundtrack tells you what's coming from a mile away.

Few horror movies scare me, in the moment. I know I'm watching a movie. However, the great ones stick with me, make me think about its content, and show up in my nightmares. Too many modern/major studios just design them mechanically. Where with other scripts an action beat or a comedy beat should appear every so many pages/minutes, they think a "scare" needs to be just the same.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Find Your Reason

I didn't pay attention to the credits, so I just found out the director of It is the same guy who created the Mama short, then feature film! No WONDER a good 80% of Pennywise's jump scares involve him standing still, then SUDDENLY RUSHING THE CAMERA in jittery, stilted motions. That was basically the principal scare in the original Mama short.

(And no wonder he's so good at directing children.)

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road