The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
As someone who also doesn't like horror movies, but frequently likes the trappings of horror movies, a seemingly edge case like Green Room can be enticing.
Yeah, this is about where I'm at with respect to horror movies.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, I can count the number of movies that I Like and Are Scary on one hand.

But you toss a Dracula into a fantasy movie or The Goonies or something and I'm all over it like wow!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:02 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
you toss a Dracula into [...] The Goonies
You just described The Monster Squad.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Mystery Contraption

I certainly did.

Also Dracula Untold
Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
I didn't go see Crimson Peak because it was advertised as a horror movie, but I couldn't wait to see it when I found it was a gothic romance.
Yeah the publicity campaign for that was so, so wrong. I'm not a horror fan either, but fortunately I've been heavily linked into del Toro fandom via social connections since Pacific Rim, so I knew what was up and went to see it immediately.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Yeah, I can count the number of movies that I Like and Are Scary on one hand.

But you toss a Dracula into a fantasy movie or The Goonies or something and I'm all over it like wow!
I make every movie better!

Except Blade.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Death Note American Style is better than I think most people were expecting but also not great. Making Light somewhat redeemable and L more emotionally unstable/less psychic takes a lot of the fire out of the story and makes Light's actions seem more justifiable which is super gross, but it's a different enough adaptation to make it worth checking out I suppose.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Gesundheit!

Good Time is awesome but also extremely tense, claustrophobic and unpleasant. I enjoyed it, but I'm going to be seriously on edge for the rest of the day.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 PM
This Guy

The Founder is the perfect American story, proof positive that if you work hard enough there's nothing you can't steal.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

xXx is apparently the key to understanding the subtle shift in the narrative arc of the Fast and Furious franchise.

It tells a tale wherein Samuel L. Jackson has come to the conclusion that the key to being an effective secret agent is that one must be preternatully skilled with skateboards and dirt bikes, and should also be an internationally recognized extreme sports star. In this case, his first choice for being a new secret agent is Vin Deisel, best known for a series of internet videos where he steals something valuable from a jerk and then breaks it.

Hilariously, this is established when he steals a sports car from a stodgy politician that has a bumper sticker that reads "SKATEBOARDING IS A CRIME!"

Mr. Deisel also proves his secret agent skills when Samuel L Jackson drops him in Columbia, and he then proceeds to steal a dirt bike, and then (in the movies best scene by far) looks for a ramp so he can jump up to the top of a tower and punch Danny Trejos teeth out in midair.

Later Mr. Deisel goes to Russia under the vague pretext of looking for information about a bio-weapon that a mobster who seeks a world where Extreme Sports Stars will be free to operate without the government breathing down their necks (establishing him to be an evil counterpart to the more
Noble Vin Deisel), but mostly he sleeps with lots of beautiful women while Everyone delivers awful dialogue.

At the climax of the movie, Vin Diesel punches a submarine to death while screaming his awful catchphrase "WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE" and then goes to a beach in order to enjoy a back rub from his new girlfriend A Russian Lady. And Samuel L. Jackson calls him up because there's a sequel afoot!

Smash cut to end credits.

The movies script was so terrible that at no point was I sure whether or not I was watching an advant-guard comedy. At its best it was like a PG-13 Starship Troopers, but with motorcycles instead of bugs.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 AM
kill

I recommend everyone go see T2 3D in theaters. They actually do a good job with the 3d and it looks outstanding. They fixed colors and made it 4k I believe. The only downside is that it's the theatrical cut, so no smile scene. Still, it's all worth it for the nuclear bomb scene. Devastating.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Video Monster

I remember seeing the 3D re-cut of Jurassic Park a number of years back and being very impressed by how well it worked. Still one of the best 3D movies I've seen, weirdly enough.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I remember seeing the 3D re-cut of Jurassic Park a number of years back and being very impressed by how well it worked. Still one of the best 3D movies I've seen, weirdly enough.
Seconded.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Sometimes it's appropriate to sit down and watch Kung Fury.

Actually, wait, that's not true.

Sometimes you might find your in a situation where it's not appropriate to
Drop what you're doing and watch Kung Fury. Such as when you're performing delicate surgery, or officiating a wedding.

If you aren't presently doing either of those things, run, don't walk, to your nearest Netflix player and get that sucker underway.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:03 PM
This Guy

Hey Octo, have you seen Turbo Kid? If not, you should watch Turbo Kid. It's on Netflix (in the US at least) and while it likely isn't quite as Octo as Kung Fury, it is in that same neighborhood.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Hey Octo, have you seen Turbo Kid? If not, you should watch Turbo Kid. It's on Netflix (in the US at least) and while it likely isn't quite as Octo as Kung Fury, it is in that same neighborhood.
It's way better than Kung Fury, imo.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 PM
Video Monster

I love both Kung Fury and Turbo Kid and recommend them.

it's possible that i own the soundtrack to kung fury on vinyl
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

I only knew the basic premise of Death Note as a series before sitting down to watch the movie and, well, it wasn't bad, but well, it certainly felt like they were trying to cram an entire seasons worth of a supernatural detective show into 100 minutes.

Which is exactly what it was, but it made the plot hard to follow; Turns out you can't make a movie that is equal parts Donnie Darko, Final Destination and Catch Me if You Can and expect it those pieces to blend together seamlessly. Even ignoring the really disjointed plot, a lot of the characters' personalities felt cartoonishly broad, which was fine for L, the eccentric detective, or Magical Murder-man Willem DeFoe, but every other character just felt jarring.

To its credit, the movie looked cool and Willem DeFoe knocked it out of the park as a terrifying, murderous Beetlejuice, but that's kind of perfect casting choice anyway. They didn't even need makeup on him.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:13 PM
It's all good, man

Adam Wingard gotta stop adapting other peoples' work
Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM
who's she

The Japanese live action Death Note movies are the best form of that story because they come to an end before the premise completely runs out of steam, and also Light's dad is Iron Chef.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Half-Ninja

One of the biggest problems with the Death Note movie was there was no reference to the single greatest scene in the show:

Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Find Your Reason

"So every time your son eats a potato chip, a criminal dies."

"..uh-huh."

"Tell me: are those Frito-Lay."
Old 09-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

You'd think that they'd have at least included throw in a shot of him eating some chips during the murder/sex montage.

There's a murder/sex montage as well, by the way.

It's a... questionably appropriate response to the events of the film.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 AM

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) is a weird movie. A buddy heist/road trip movie starring Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges that meanders its way through the extremely 70s-looking sights before gradually focusing in on the plot promised by the movie's poster. If the idea of seeing Eastwood and Bridges on screen together perks your interest its worth a watch just to see them interact. Otherwise it's not really worth going out of your way to watch.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:56 AM
>TRANCE

It's weird to hear that Ryuk is a terrifying murder enthusiast in the movie, because in the original series he's the hapless audience insert character who Light can explain his clever plans to.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Ironically, one of the few things that really worked in the movie, and which also went no where in this adaptation is that Ryuk has complete agency over his actions. The book has pages and pages of rules and regulations for its wielder, but they don't apply to Ryuk, he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants. He only hangs out with Light because he loves the kids creative streak.

This comes up in one scene and is almost never acknowledged again
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Robot Jox tells the story of a world that took the lessons of Rocky IV to heart and now all wars are resolved by the outcome of boxing matches, except this time the boxing matches are fought between giant robots.

And that's an easy sell, except that the robot fights can't hope to compete with the visual spectacle of any given episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Even one of the episodes that were badly edited together from several different series so you never see the MegaZord and the monster interact with one another.

That being said, the movie revelled in its low budget and cartoonish character. The Evil Russian Jox Pilot wants to keeeel everyone, and wanders into the bar where the hero is drinking and brags about how he wants to keeeel him in a fight. The Hero retires from Giant Robot Fights the after he tripped over the stadium seating for spectators to his robot fight and gets replaced with a new superhuman who doesn't understand emotions. In the end, both American and Russian giant robots get demolished and the pilots hop out and decide to murder one another with pipes. Then they become friends.

And then the credits roll. Because the Cold War finally ended, through the magic of attempted pipe-murder
Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 PM
oh my car

I watched Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha. A gorgeous, layered film full of gorgeous, layered shots. Significant for a film whose premise is based on appearance and performance to have so many scenes filmed over the shoulder of someone watching something significant unfold. Nobody does it like Kurosawa did it. Nobody.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I think Johnny was just mentioning the other day that we should watch that, as well as Ran.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM
is Earnest

Ran is gorgeous.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road