The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Even the change log is 30 minutes long.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 AM
King Of Space-Time

Coming soon...

Old 09-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

It was only a buck and I already had the credit in my Google account somehow, so I downloaded Talisman for my phone.

How far board games have come....
Old 09-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Chief

Did anyone who made it to GenCon or any other sneak peaks this year have a chance to try Ex Libris? It sounds fun from the preview write up I read but the Amazon preorder price is ludicrous so I was hoping for some more impressions before trying to track down a copy when it comes out in the fall.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:02 AM

3X Caverna

This game is really fun. I've experimented with all the game's systems by now. Although I still haven't won, in 4 games played

I can't wait to play again. In my next game I'm going to build a lot more rooms in my cave, and less mines.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 PM
and ermine, too

PAX West:
1x 1846
1x Quartermaster General
3x Sheep 'n' Sheep
2x Black Friday
1x Medici
1x Spirit Island
1x Wind the Film!
5x Codenames Duet
5x Downforce
5x Magic Maze
3x Aton
3x Sticheln
2x Familiar's Trouble
1x Dice Forge
1x Exit: The Secret Lab
1x Notre Dame
3x Onitama (new)
2x The Climbers (new)
2x Sagrada (new)
1x Adrenaline
1x Clank! (new)
1x Ghost Court (new)
1x Dread (new)
1x Ex Libris (new)
1x Dice City (new)
1x Twins (new)
1x Unpublished Prototype (new)

Turns out you can play a lot of things in 5 days at a convention ;]

As you can see there a lot of things we played a lot in our extended friend group... most notably Black Friday, Downforce, Magic Maze, and Sticheln.

Thursday is when everyone arrived, and I first had the chance to play Codenames Duet, which is easily my favorite way to play Codenames, now. Keep in mind that I'm unusual, and preferred to play the Codenames 3p variant.

Friday Anthony and I slipped into the "GenCon games" room and played a few things - The Climbers, Ex Libris, and Twins. The Climbers didn't appeal to me, and Ex Libris only feels like Sheep 'n' Sheep grafted to some frustrating worker placement. I liked Twins more than Kobayakawa, but only barely - and I don't care for Kobayakawa at all.

The GenCon games room wasn't a waste of time, because I like learning new games! But it didn't result in any purchases (we already own Lisboa, Spirit Island, Festival of Thousand Cats).

Anthony had learned Sagrada on Thursday, and we played a 2p game. I enjoyed it, but now I know I don't need to own it.

Saturday Anthony and I made it to the convention center early and learned Onitama and Dice City. Dice City was a bit too slow for me, Onitama was fine, which is very good if you adjust for my lack of enthusiasm for 2p perfect information abstracts ;]

We had a little single elimination Aton tournament on Saturday, which I lost (of course) because I've only ever played against a single opponent, but we had a blast.

Sunday was packed with longer games... Scott had a prototype, Anthony had Spirit Island, I had 1846. After dinner we all played Exit: The Secret Lab. I'd like to make these disposable escape rooms a 'convention thing' now that we've done 3/3 Exits and 2/3 Unlocks that are currently available...

I didn't plan on it, but I was pulled into two RPGs over the weekend, Ghost Court and Dread. I'll absolutely play either game again. I would have preferred a more traditional 'slasher movie' scenario for Dread instead of the pulp Cthulhu game we played - I played with a group of strangers thrown together as a pick-up game, and I was self-conscious about crossing boundaries without an x-card. Everyone just went gonzo anyway. I really wanted my character to get run over by a car in the climactic scene but it didn't feel right to use Dread's 'heroic sacrifice' rules to kill myself off. Fun times.

Monday is when I learned Clank! (second favorite new game after Codenames Duet.) Then we finished off the convention with Magic Maze and Sticheln at the hotel bar before everyone went their separate ways. :]
Old 09-06-2017, 06:36 PM
d.o_o.b

Looks like Consentacle is finally getting printed (through Kickstarter).
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
An Animal of Joy

I got Dark Souls at the NOVA Open. It has great minis and the game is a fast and lightweight dungeon crawl with a deep equipment/upgrade deck. The random encounters seem simple and there aren't many monsters yet, but they can function as deadly puzzles. The boss fights are tense, and they come with different move sets and patterns every time you fight one. I played a half game with my bro and beat the Bell Gargoyle on our second try (barely), and can't wait to see the rest of the bosses.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM
King Of Space-Time

Via SUSD

Quote:
Paul:hey Quinns, do you want a virtual reality version of Catan–

Quinns: no

Paul: okay yeah me neither
Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 AM
d.o_o.b

the more i play board games the more i find that i really don't like dice
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM
An Animal of Joy

Maybe you aren't rolling enough of them. Failing on a single 50/50 dice roll feels bad, but when you're rolling 40 dice and you get 20 successes it feels great! So what I'm saying is wanna play Warhammer with me?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Maybe you aren't rolling enough of them. Failing on a single 50/50 dice roll feels bad, but when you're rolling 40 dice and you get 20 successes it feels great! So what I'm saying is wanna play Warhammer with me?
I'd be pretty damn tempted, and there's that current book bundle going...
Old 09-15-2017, 07:56 PM
d.o_o.b

I'm sorry, but I already tossed all my money into the MtG bonfire.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:08 AM
An Animal of Joy

I have plenty of mans for everyone!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM
TARANTUL

I have 10k points of Dark Eldar sitting in various stages of assembly/painting in the garage.

I can field maybe 220 points of finished stuff?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM
King Of Space-Time

LIONS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

Old 09-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Space dad

The new Through the Ages app is Very Good. (iOS and Android, and you can get it running on a PC with BlueStacks and on a Fire with a file manager and the right APKs for Google Play)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 PM
Manic Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
the more i play board games the more i find that i really don't like dice
My hatred of dice over time formed a bell-curve over time, where I first got into modern board gaming and was impressed with stuff like Catan, and then peaked in hating dice when I was heavy into euros and enjoying BattleCON and Dungeon Twister a ton (which I still think are great).

Now I realize I like dice if the game designs well around them. In games with combat I heavily prefer combat tables over "hit on a 5+" buckets-of-dice, because combat table games tend to have a wide variety of results rather than hit-or-miss (though dice with custom facings can do a similar thing--see Earth Reborn). Stuff like in addition to hit and miss you might have extra status effects and event triggers that can occur on certain results. Buckets of dice tend to just be determining a how many hits you scored and not much else.

For euros I still appreciate Castles of Burgundy where the dice are more options you're rolling rather than determining how good of a result you got.

What this all means is only play games with good dice I guess.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
We just don't know.

I like dice in general, mainly for the pleasures of shaking a bunch in your hand, rolling them out, the sounds they make, etc. I am generally pro-dice. That said, when rolls are your power—D&D, where maybe you whiff a bunch of attacks in a row or get minimum damage on your hits or something for no necessarily discernible reason—it can be really frustrating.

~Seasons has big chunky dice that form resources to draft from, so the randomness only rarely comes down to make-or-break luck-wins-the-day, especially later on in the game when you have more cards. That's a pretty good compromise.
~In general, something where you roll A Bunch Of Dice instead of A Few Dice helps even out randomness spikes too. Bonus: you get to roll a bunch of dice, which is great
~Rerolling mechanics also help, like in King of Tokyo/New York, because it lets you make some choices and decisions before locking you in.

What are some of your favorite games with Good Dice, TT?
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
What are some of your favorite games with Good Dice, TT?
Hero Quest has the best dice, because they have skulls and shields on them instead of numbers.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

My favorite dice game is Elder Sign. Bonus! it is also co-op.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Liar's Dice is all dice and all great.

Qwixx is like, what if Lost Cities were dice?

Dice are juuust fine in short games like those. In longer games (hi Risk), dice can be aggravating.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Dinger!

Games with good dice:

Alien Frontiers
Quantum
Any game that takes its inspiration from Yahtzee

That said, there are plenty of games where I don't think the dice are particularly innovative, but I still enjoy them. I quite like dice-based combat in games like Risk, Star Wars: Rebellion and War of the Ring. I get why people don't like the frustration that can sometimes come along with dice in that context, but for me, the excitement that dice bring is often worth the trade-off.
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
We just don't know.

How could I forget Quantum?! It's on the shelf right in front of me!

I've played Alien Frontiers once. I liked it but I forget much of how it worked, including its dice.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it