The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
It's the saw of the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
This series looks pretty interesting. Are they available for download somewhere?
Great question! All the games are available at the Caravel Games website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
If so, which game would be the best for a new player to start with?
Complicated question! I'll do my best to summarize.

There are three major releases of DROD; each release has an official set of levels (a hold) that tells part of the canonical story of DROD and an engine that can be used to play the official hold and any compatible user-created holds.

The first game was called Deadly Rooms of Death, but its hold has been retronymed to King Dugan's Dungeon. It went through a few iterations until it finally gained a level editor, and that version was called "DROD: Architects' Edition." This engine is usually called DROD:AE or DROD 1. Here's a picture of a room of King Dugan's Dungeon, as seen in the DROD engine.

DROD 1 and King Dugan's Dungeon were open-source, so they are freely available. Engine and hold together can be downloaded fromhere for PC and Linux (I don't think this version has Mac port). You can also download the KDD hold separately here, and play it in later DROD engines. There's also a remastered version of the hold called King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 that updates the levels to include character dialogue, scripting, and secret rooms. KDD 2.0 is does cost money, but I recommend it over the original version.

Journey to Rooted Hold, the hold for this LP, was released with the DROD 2 engine. I'm also playing on that engine now, since it's what Merus started with. As you can see, it's a major graphical upgrade from DROD 1. It introduced conveniences like the clock that lets you plan for roach spawning and other timed events. It also introduced the rudimentary scripting tool that allows characters to talk to each other (though it's still mostly used for Beethro to talk to himself).

DROD 2 is backward compatible with DROD 1, and the demo for Journey to Rooted Hold allows you to import and play any hold for either engine. (However, the demo has a limited stock of music and graphical skins for levels.)

The City Beneath is the most recent game, and it includes the DROD 3 engine. The graphical upgrade isn't as stark as between 1 and 2, but there's a lot of little flourishes in things like lighting and player conveniences. The scripting system was overhauled (the game now has more events that are closer to cutscenes), and a whole host of new monsters and dungeon elements were added.

Like DROD 2, DROD 3 is fully backwards compatible, holds can be imported using the demo without buying the full game, and the demo doesn't have access to the full variety of graphics and music.

So asking which game to start with means asking which engine to start with and which hold to start with.

For the engine, I firmly stand behind DROD 3, which you get by either buying The City Beneath or downloading the demo. I much prefer playing in DROD 3, and if Merus hadn't started this LP in DROD 2, I'd be playing JtRH from the upgraded version. (If I get frustrated later on, I may switch back anyway.)

As for what hold to start with, that's really open for debate. If you care about the story (I do, but in a puzzle-centric game like DROD it's really not necessary) and are willing to pay for the official holds, I'd recommend doing KDD 2.0, JtRH, then TCB. But the story's kind of fungible, so you should be fine if you want to do them in any order.

For free user-created holds that are good for beginners, I'm going to have to punt you over to the DROD Forums: Beginner's Guide to DROD. Unsurprisingly, you'll see a lot of overlap with this post, but the "Which holds should I play" section is invaluable in listing lots of holds for beginners.

Other Premium DROD Stuff

Caravel Games occasionally releases official holds that are smaller than the ones listed above. These are called Smitemaster's Selections and can be downloaded for nine dollars per set. These future voice acting and tie in (mostly canonically) with the story of DROD. Also, the Smitemaster's Selection Journey's End features "Smitemastery 101," a good beginning hold.

CaravelNet is the online component of DROD. You get a free month when you buy one of the official games, or you can buy a one-year subscription for twelve dollars. CaravelNet is necessary if you want to upload your scores to the leaderboards. Also, it allows for one-click downloading and importing holds from within the game.

DROD RPG is part of the same universe, but the gameplay is very different. Again, it's more of an optimization-puzzle take on an RPG. DROD RPG also has user-created holds.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM

I started in the DROD 2 engine because I wanted it to be as close to the 'release' version as possible.

Two things I want to highlight: you can play any user-made hold in the demo, so while you won't be able to follow along with the LP for very long you can still play with all the game elements (this was done initially for source code reasons, and it's been kept that way because it's a great community builder); and that the Smitemaster's Selections were one of the few episodic releases in the industry, which I'm pretty proud of. We succeeded where a lot of other companies failed.

I have my objections to CaravelNet; you need an active CaravelNet subscription to retrieve your purchases, and I feel that's overreaching.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Default DROD Hates Us All

Quote:
"It can often be a surprise when on first discovers that, no matter how skillful one is or adept at one's craft, it is almost certain that, somewhere, there are others who are of equal or even exceeding skill. Whether this competition is eelcomed, or whether it shall lead to antagonism, it is almost always educational." - Professor Tampuk Lobblus, Dean of Education at Mellenfral University
Welcome back to Let's Play DROD.

First, some housekeeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Is the secret to your 2S2E win entering from the north? I can't see how it can be done that quickly otherwise.
That is precisely the secret.

If you leave a room without clearing it completely, it will be completely reset when you return. So by exiting the room without killing the second queen, I can come back in from the north and take on the whole thing from scratch, only this time I'm not fighting the arrows.

As Merus mentioned, later levels will make it a lot easier to take rooms in whatever order you like, and in those cases, it's usually trivial to pick the optimal entrance point. But for a few levels like these, you have to do all the work of getting through the room, with the added danger of leaving things alive that can kill you, in order to shave off moves for the leaderboards.

The Entrance

Welcome to Third Level. This level doesn't have stairs back up, not all of them do. Also, when you enter a level, a little swirly thing circles Treehead briefly, which you can see in this shot.

So what do we find on this level?

Once West

Twice West

Some stupid door puzzles.

Seriously, I have nothing to say about them except that it's not possible to leave the second room via the northwest passage. (Note to Self: Think of an appropriate Canada joke before posting.)

Instead, let's take a moment to talk about room coordinates. In DROD, all rooms are referred to by their distance from the room you start in. So as we've moved west from the entrance we've gone once west, then twice west. Once we've moved north, we'll be in room Once North, Twice West. This information is displayed in a scroll at the top of the screen, but I'm cropping it out of my screenshots, so I'll list it when I introduce each room.

The naming conventions are also rather fanciful. They start out with the normal "once," "twice," and "thrice" and move on to more outlandish terms. The official progression is: once, twice, thrice, quarce, quince, sence, septence, octence, novence, tonce, elevonce, twolce, thorce, quartonce, quintonce, sextonce, septonce, octonce, noventonce.

Unsurprisingly, most players just use numbers (like Gerad did in the quote above).

Once North, Twice West

Quote:
Hey, how'd you get over there?

I don't know. I was just exploring.

Well, explore over here with me!

I can't. There's an arrow blocking me.

Dummy! Why'd you walk over it?

I don't know.

Just stay there. Maybe I can come around and get you.
More roach queens. Nothing too difficult if you take your time. Or if you hurry, really.

Quote:
Halph! Stay put!

I'm gonna see what's in the next room.

No, stupid! Just wait here!
Aaaand Halph's gone again. Perhaps it's the verbal abuse Treehead's heaping on him, in addition to the child labor.

Twice North, Twice West

I'm pretty sure you can figure out how this room works.

Thrice North, Twice West

Oh, what's this now, another negotiator?

Quote:
Here comes our silly delver.

He's going to strike the orb.
No, it's . . .well it kind of looks like Prince, a bit, but with red hair and collagen implants.

Quote:
No! The delver can't be that stupid.

Just watch! Just watch!
In the grand videogame tradition of James Sunderland sticking his arm into Satan's glory hole, there is no way to advance the game without Treehead hitting the orb.

Quote:
See? I know my delvers.

Indeed you do! How funny!

It's fun to watch him, but we should get on with my presentation.

Certainly.

Hey, look. He hit that orb with his funky cane, just like Treehead does with his Really Big Sword. Nothing about this is ominous in light of the level's opening quote.

On the way out, the toady hits the last orb to toggle in intersection. When you hit an orb, waves of lightning briefly shoot out from the orb to the doors it affects.

I guess we have to see the presentation, now. It's probably in Powerpoint, too.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM

Thrice North, Once West

Quote:
Students of the slayerly arts... Oh, privileged pupils! Pay close attention, for today I will demonstrate the techniques of removing delvers. Unfortunately, we have just one delver with us today, so our lesson will be painfully short. But more painful for him than us, of course!
So this is our Slayer, eh? Well, Treehead'll show him. The roach queens cluster together fast, so it's not hard to clear them out. But then there's a door we can't open and Halph is off discovering his changing body. So Treehead demands the Slayer opens the door.

Quote:
Open the grebbing door!

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes.

Students, please watch now and take notes later. You will miss important points if you are busy writing.
Allow me to pause here to talk about voice acting. Journey to Rooted Hold introduced scripting so that characters could talk, as well as voice acting for all the major characters. It's not the greatest acting in the world, but everything sounds vaguely appropriate, so it's a nice complement to the game. Treehead sounds like a blue-collar guy, and Halph is voiced by an actual ten-year-old. And the slayer sounds like this:

Ogg File

It's almost a reverse falsetto, using a breathy, throaty, overly deep voice that is not unlike the voice one might use if you were parodying a sex-line operator.

Now think about that voice saying:

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes.
It sounds as horrifically like he just had an orgasm as you imagine.

(Not to knock the acting though, because it does fit the character and the silly setting well enough that its easy to go through the whole game before some asshole points it out to you and suddenly the slayer always sounds like you're being charged 3 greckles per minute.)

Ahem. MOVING ON. The slayer opens the door and situates himself just in front of the exit. Then he . . .

No, no, no! I said we're moving on, and now you're shooting out a stream of white spirals at Treehead?

And only after this strange white projection attaches itself to Treehead does the Slayer start moving.

Fine, let's just go around and EEEEAAAGHHHH!

Meet your new opponent, the slayer. Think of Michael Meyers in Halloween, the serial killer that walks slowly toward you as you flee in terror: that's a slayer.

We've already seen that the slayer has a Really Big Hook with the same abilities as Treehead's Really Big Sword. It also has the same disadvantages; the slayer has to spend a turn to rotate the hook, and he can't kill other than with the hook. For movement, he uses "The Wisp" which are the white spirals. The slayer stands still while the wisp moves closer and closer to Treehead. Once the wisp reaches him, the slayer will begin following the wisp directly to Treehead, making it difficult to escape. The slayer will always be following you.

However, you don't need to defeat a slayer to clear a room. You just need to avoid him long enough to kill everything else and leave. And the slayer's patience helps make that easier.

Quote:
This is outstanding! Pursuit will be necessary!
The main tactic to use against the slayer is to make the wisp nice and long (I usually think of it as the slayer's leash). A long leash means you've got time to do things other than run away. The other useful tactic is to make sure that the path of the wisp leads the slayer to somewhere you can manuever around him.

Notice that sword positioning makes a difference if you try to move in close like I did. The slayer is as wary of your sword as you are of his hook.

Now that we're out of danger, let's get out of here. Heading north.

Quarce North, Once West

A blue door already. Guess we're heading south.

Twice North, Once West

Quote:
Treehead, wherever you go, my wisp will find you. Come back into the auditorium. I want the students to see us.
Because it's always better when someone's watching.

Dear readers, if you would like me to stop pointing out sexual subtext between Treehead and the slayer, you will be disappointed. Ever since I made the joke about the wisp being semen, I can't take off these dam slash goggles.

Quote:
Listen, I've got my own plans. They don't need to involve you bleeding all over the floor, but if that's what you want, that's what you'll get!

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? I am 39th Slayer! You've met your Unmaker. I shall remove you from the beneath. And I'll do it with flair! You will be applauding my impeccable maneuvers, the likes of which you've never seen.

You talk too much.
For the hero of a puzzle game, Treehead really doesn't much like people talking.

39th Slayer generally enters a room on the same space that Treehead did, five moves later. However, if Treehead is too close to that space, the slayer will wait another five turns. This can sometimes help you squeeze out a little bit of a lead on him.

In this room, there's plenty of space for the wisp to create a really long leash for 39th Slayer. That's plenty of room to move around the room opening doors and killing roaches.

Quote:
Good! You're returning to the auditorium.
Quarce North, Once West

Quote:
Good students, A delver can always be found by the tendrils of the wisp. With patience, it will always reach him, and your route will be clear. You see how it is impossible for our delver to escape the wisp's touch?
In general, the best way to manage a slayer is with circular movements. When you backtrack directly, you shorten the length of the wisp very quickly. But if you keep moving forward in a wide circle, you can get back to where you needed to go without the slayer getting closer to you. That's how you deal with the close quarters and bottlenecks of the little maze on the right.

However, I decided to be badass, went straight for the orb and walked right back out with only a few moves to spare.

Quote:
Now he has sealed himself in. But eventually he will again expose himself to the wisp.
When 39th Slayer has no way to get at Treehead, he'll follow the wisp as far as possible, then just try to get as close as possible. So he moves around outside while Treehead clears the roaches inside.

To get the last roach free, Treehead has to hit all three of the orbs inside this room. Each one opens one of the entrances to the room Treehead's in and shuts the other two, as well, as opening one of the doors blocking off the roach (and the exit orb) in the northeast corner. Everytime 39th Slayer sees an opportunity to grab Treehead, the wisp will start up again, so you want to hit these three orbs quickly,

In this picture, you'll notice the coloring on certain doors, which is one of the conveniences that the DROD 2 engine offers. If you use the mouse to click on an orb, the doors that it affects are highlighted to indicate how they are affected. Blue means the door is always opened, red means the door is always closed, and orange means the door is toggled (it closes if it was open, and opens if it was closed). I'll try to make more use of this feature for you guys, especially when the doors are confusing.

Quote:
He comes out of the little chamber.

Our demonstration will continue in the west end of the auditorium.
I'll also try to remember to get rid of the door coloring afterward, since it stays until you deliberately clear it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Quarce North, Twice West

Quote:
Always trust the wisp! Its path is perfect and should not be questioned. I lay my judgments aside and follow the wisp. I know it will not fail me.

Another way in which 39th Slayer's Hook is like Treehead's Really Big Sword is that it will destroy crumbling walls; the damage over by the western orb is a result of Treehead and 39th each taking a pass at those walls.

Treehead moved quickly to strike the two orbs that would release the sole roach that needed to be killed in this level. A little too quickly, given that he trapped himself into that final room with no way to reach the now-freed roach. His only hope was for 39th to keep following the wisp into the little corridor, taking him right to the roach and killing it. But how likely is that?

Quote:
Gah! My mistake was made... intentionally, for uh... illustrative purposes!
Quarce North, Thrice West

It's actually not that difficult to keep the slayer at a nice distance in this room. The last trick of slayer avoidance is that 39th Slayer can't move his hook and the wisp at the same time; that's why he usually avoids turning the hook at all. But when Treehead gets close--either because the slayer has caught up with his prey, or because Treehead is independently threatening him--39th Slayer will turn to focus on him, giving Treehead a chance to escape. Once he's free of the wisp for even one move, Treehead can spin out another long leash.

My biggest problem with this room is that the slayer's hook kept activating orbs when I didn't want it to (but none of the screenshots of it turned out interesting).

Thrice North , Thrice West

Any reasonable player should immediately see that there's no way to build a lead long enough for Treehead to kill the southeast roach and then get out again before 39th catches up. (I mean, it is possible, but it's really hard, and the demo I had of someone else doing it didn't load correctly.) Luckily, there's an easier way.

Quote:
Oh no! I'm sure someone will come along soon and let me out.
By leading the wisp over the door, Treehead can guarantee that the slayer will plow straight into Treehead's waiting box.

I mean . . . oh forget it.

Twice North, Thrice West

Entering this room, Treehead had a simple plan: Get through the door and close it behind him. The slayer would be stuck on the other side of the wall, too dumb to know that the orb next to him would let him through.

It was not a very good plan, though.

Being sealed in is one thing, but if 39th Slayer can get to the orb that'll let him get to Treehead, he'll find it, activate it, and return to the task of bringing Treehead his tainted love.

But Treehead has already moved on to a new plan: in this one, he leads 39th around to hit the orb, so that he doesn't have to deal with the ambush. That plans worked so predictably well that we'll move on.

Once North, Thrice West

Hey, it's Halph! Waiting for Treehead exactly one room west of where he ran off the first time.

With the green door in the way, this can be pretty close quarters to have to avoid the slayer and kill the queens and roaches. But it's still not too bad. With the green door clear, Treehead makes tracks away from the slayer toward the exit.

Quote:
A bad way to go, delver. That door doesn't open from this side.
Oh, that's right. We haven't introduced 39th Slayer to Halph yet.

Quote:
(sigh) This really make me look bad.

Halph, hurry up!

Hey, don't leave! Wait!
And down we go to Fourth Level!

Quote:
Psssst:There's a cracked wall on the west side of 2E

Oh, right, there certainly is.

Second Level: Once East

Like in the last secret room (1L:1N4W), the amount of debris lying around gives Treehead multiple safe areas in which to plan his nest move. Unfortunately, there are a lot more roaches trying to attack him in this room, and the queens will keep spawning more, so it's another good place to learn efficiency tactics.

Next Time: Ackbar Was Right!

Last edited by Tablesaw; 06-21-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Holy Swine

I've always felt that the Slayer lesson really drives home the point that you're not in King Dugan's Dungeon anymore. It's a simple piece of scripting, but it introduces a new enemy type and is an interesting setpiece at the same time.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Default It's a Trap!

Quote:
"The Trapdoor, for all its simplicity, is an extremely useful device for any dungeon architect, and, properly used, it shall lead to fame and wealth. Not only does it allow the architect to create masterly traps, it also enables him to receive an ongoing maintenance stipend to ensure that dropped trapdoors are replaced regularly." - from a keynote speech given at a Dungeon Architect's Association dinner
Entrance

Quote:
Don't think you've gotten away. I'm always watching you.
It's Fourth Level. And our stairs are gone. But 39th Slayer followed us, somehow ending up waaay over there. Well, at least Treehead wont have to worry about running in circles trying to avoid him for now, so lets just step over this curiously colored floortile to the left and kill those roaches.

Um, okay, that's new.

Fourth Level introduces a new dungeon element: trap doors. Treehead can stand on one as long as he likes, but once he steps off of it, it falls into the dark pits below. The gap that's left can't be passed by Beethro or the monsters.

But it only applies to Treehead; all the monsters can do whatever they like on them. So it doesn't take too long for Treeead to lure these roaches to their doom.

Quote:
Runner #82 reporting for duty!

Yes, there's a delver here that's causing trouble. Send word down to the Empire: "Beethro Budkin is approaching. Send reinforcements."

Yessir! Right Away!
Once East

Now, before we let Treehead kill hordes of giant insects, let's talk about level design. Merus has already mentioned that the first three levels are pretty linear compared to others, and Fourth Level really makes a point of showing it. Other than the entrance, all the other rooms in this level can be completed in any order, and several of them require that you enter the room from a particular point in order to be solvable.

To demonstrate this point, let's take a widdershins tour through Fourth Level without clearing any rooms. Treehead hurries east out of this room before the roaches can spawn.

Twice East

Coming upon a fork in a deserted passage, Treehead went south.

Once South, Twice East

Quote:
Rubber #124! The 39th Slayer has a message for the Empire. Tell them that a delver named Beethro Budkin is coming. He might be trouble, so send reinforcements.
Interesting. That's . . . not exactly the message, but probably close enough. Treehead ran west over the collapsing bridge to see what else was around.

Once south, Once East

Only one entrance here, so Treehead backed out the way he came.

And the bridge had been miraculously rebuilt!

Trap doors always reset when you re-enter a room, even after you've cleared all the monsters.

Thrice East

A nice garden theme here. Fourth level is also the introduction of a new set of graphics. The closely trimmed gras has always been my favorite of the standard floors. Treehead took the upper passage to take him west then north.

Once North, Twice East

Treehead hurried by all the queens, thinking that it would probably be safest to enter from that arrow anyway.

Twice North, Twice East

Quote:
Them secrets--they're aboundin'
but I seldom ever found 'em
even when I was around 'em
What could that song possibly mean?

Last edited by Tablesaw; 06-21-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM

Default It's a Tarp!

Twice North, Once East

With the roaches threatening to attack from the south, Treehead wondered if it would be best to make a stand right here. But the two of the queens scurried north into areas protected by trap doors, so he pushed on.

Twice North

Hey, while Treehead and I are looking at the rest of the rooms, you guys might want to read up on Eulerian paths, okay? (Don't worry, there won't be a quiz.) Let's detour south for a moment.

Once North

And here's the exit, with the blue door immediately in front of it. On the other side, you can see some more blocked-off stairs. Presumably that's how 39th Slayer got down and then ran away to write in his diary about how he was humiliated by Treehead. Back up north and west.

Twice North, Once West

Treehead thought he might be blocked in this direction, but he smashed through some walls and continued south. With all the running away he'd been doing, it felt good to smash something, even if it was inanimate stone.

Once North, Once West

And we zoom south, along the western path.

Once West

And that's everything on Fourth Level. To the east is the Entrance room again, though this time Treehead would be on the side the slayer was on. So we might as well work our way back, and clear all the rooms.

As you can see very clearly in this room, trap doors allow for some more traditional puzzles of graph theory (or, if you don't want to sound to much like a nerd, mazes). In this one, you have to get down to kill the queen, and then back to the exit. Not the most difficult maze, but a good warm-up. In particular, the tight spaces in the southwest corner force you to learn how to move diagonally to avoid blocking your return path.

Once North, Once West

Like the entrance, this is room is about leading roaches to you, since there's no way for you to get out of the maze if you try to enter it. Also, as you can see, the only way to solve this puzzle is by entering from the eastern entrance from the south.

Twice North, Once West

Having already maneuvered along a tricky pathway and manuevered roaches toward him, Treehead had to do both at the same time. This one also has a few arrow traps for roaches (and for Treehead). The arrows near the roaches are such that you have to enter the room from the eastern south entrance if you want to defeat it. (In fact, the whole level is easier if you go clockwise instead of counterclockwise.) The other arrows mostly remind Treehead that he can move diagonally to cut corners along trap doors.

Twice North

Okay, so now you guys know all about traversing undirected graphs so that all edges are visited exactly once, right? Because that little red door that's got the roach trapped will only open once every trap door in the room has dropped. It's not particularly difficult here, but red-door problems can get more complicated (and occasionally more tedious).

Twice North, Once East

Ah, here we go, a real smity challenge. Entering from the west means that all of the queens are running in the right direction, but Treehead still has to be careful. Roaches can cross trap door with immunity, but they can't cross the gaps that Treehead makes. So by intentionally dropping this trap, Treehead keeps the next queen from getting away from him. And at that point, it's just blood, blood, blood.

Last edited by Tablesaw; 06-21-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Default It's a Part!

Remember how I said there would be no quiz on Eulerian paths? Well pop quiz on Hamiltonian paths!

Twice North, Twice East

When it comes to red gates in DROD, Eulerian paths don't come up as often as Hamiltonian paths, since it's more common to have awkward clusters of tiles than nice long paths. So each tile (vertex) has lots of possible moves (edges), and it doesn't matter which moves you make, as long as you can get to all of them. Challenges like this--where Treehead has to maneuver to a particular orb, then get back out--are common.

Once North, Twice East

Treehead was right about entering from the arrow, as he was able to wipe out one entire line of queens before they spawned. Then he used those force arrows to guard his back while took out the line to his right.

Thrice East

Hey, Halph's back, and just in time. Funny how he always seems to wander back around whenever Treehad needs an inconvenient door opened.

You'll notice that, like the monsters, Hapl doesn't drop trap doors when he walks over them. (Actually, the first time you see it is at the very, very end of Third Level, but I didn't want to get bogged down explaining trap doors during Treehead's daring escape.)

Once East, Once South

The moment Treehead drops that lone trap door, the walls of the maze will disappear completely, and any roaches left alive will be able to swarm him. So, as tedious as it was, he killed every single roach he could find on this side of the trap door, until there was only a small number left.

And here's the badass shot of Fourth Level, Maurog didn't want to muck about in corridors, so he dropped the trap door and took on all these roaches gladiator-style.

Once East

And so we're back where we started. A very, very common theme in DROD rooms is to make Treehead go back and forth dealing for a bit while enemies keep spawning and attacking him. In this room, this is accomplished by making him run to the four trap doors before he can get to the north portion of the room where the queens are.

Once North

And down we go.

Next Time: The Monster in the Mirror!

Last edited by Tablesaw; 06-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Holy Swine

Good stuff. There's definitely a secret room north of 2N2E, as evidenced by all the cracked walls along the right and top of the room. The question is how to get into that passageway. Do any of the cracked walls at the top-left of 3E lead to 2E, then up to 2N2E?

The rooms are still easy enough for now, but I think it'd be really interesting if you showed more screenshots for difficult rooms, especially if you've got a cleverly optimized solution. It can be tough to tell what the key step in beating a room is from one screenshot.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Good stuff. There's definitely a secret room north of 2N2E, as evidenced by all the cracked walls along the right and top of the room. The question is how to get into that passageway. Do any of the cracked walls at the top-left of 3E lead to 2E, then up to 2N2E?
"Where ya going, Unka Treehead?"

"Quiet you," grumbled Treehead as he backtracked through Fourth Level. The voices in his head would not let him be.

"But if you cross those trap doors . . ."

"I know what I'm doing."

Sure it was a risk, but there were secrets to be had; he knew it. Just over this little bridge were the walls he'd batter down to find secret passages. And once he made his way to another room, he'd be able to get back down her and the trap doors would reset!

For the first week, Halph tossed him food across the gap. After that, there was no one at all.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 AM

Hey, I'm not sure if you're aware but I have serious problems with loading the images in the LP. I think that makes it difficult to see where the cracks are. (I know, but I'm not telling unless everyone else gives up.)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Holy Swine

I didn't mean to get you killed, Treehead. Forgive me.

How about the bottom-right corner of 1N2E? If so, that's a tricksy cracked wall.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Hey, I'm not sure if you're aware but I have serious problems with loading the images in the LP. I think that makes it difficult to see where the cracks are. (I know, but I'm not telling unless everyone else gives up.)
What kind of problems? I see that there are a few images that I need to re-upload, but everything's moving smoothly for me. Anyone else?

ETA: I corrected a quirk of tinypic where it likes to rename .png files as .jpg for no good reason. Most browsers seem to be unfooled, but I went through and changed a bunch of the extensions to match the actual file types. Let me know if that fixes your problem.

Last edited by Tablesaw; 06-21-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Nope, they're still not loading.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Democratic Robot

They work just fine for me.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

The thread page takes forever to load for me, and after it's "done" it'll usually still have quite a lot of pictures with the bottoms cut off. A refresh or two of the page will generally get most of the pictures loaded.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Wubba Wubba Wubba Wubba Woo Woo Woo

I have lost the draft of this goddamn level so many times, so forgive me if I sound bitter writing about everything that happens in the first few rooms. AGAIN. I . . . I don't even know how this happens. Am I naming things too creatively? I swear I save them, and then I go back and nothing. It's all cloud from now on, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sayings of King Orin the Pessimistic
Danger lies in the most unexpected places. Also, it lies in a lot of the expected places.
Entrance

Hey, look, stairs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Webbly Poppelfleck, Renowned Ageologist at Mellnfral University
Often, as one grows older, one feels a strong desire to revisit familiar places, even if one isn't entirely sure what to do there.
Wooooooooooooo! That was fun. Woo. Now let's get going.

Quote:
It's quiet here.
Quiet and cold.
It's a new level palatte, too, to enforce that sense of coldness in blue and white. As you'll see soon, the bottomless pits in these levels have bright clouds obscuring their depths, which is beautiful, if incongruous with the whole "underground" concept.

Once South

Quote:
Peaceful here, but I won't be lulled. I'm unlullable.
And, indeed, Treehead was not lulled. He carefully noted the blue door to the west and the arrows to the east and knew he'd be back again.

Twice South

What's this? A piece of paper lying on the ground?

Quote:
Beware! Wubbas!

Quote:
Like I wasn't going to be careful anyway.
In DROD 1, scrolls left on the ground were the only way to communicate any sort of text to the player, which meant they were the only sort of "story" you really had moving through. In player-created holds, there are sometimes whole corridors of scrolls to express Beethro's inner monologue. Obviously, with the scripting available in Journey to Rooted Hold, they aren't as common any more. When they do appear, they tend to be either in-character (that is, something an dungeon-dweller might reasonably leave on a piece of paper) or meta messages from the constructor to the player.

Scrolls also have a few odd qualities when it comes to monster movement, but I don't think they'll come into play this game.

Quote:
Scarbations! That wubba's charging me!
. . . Treehead exclaimed, readying his Really Big Sword to strike a killing blow.

Quote:
Gah, they're so puffy . . . my sword just goes right through them!
Treehead hacked and slashed and slacked and hashed, but none of it had any effect on the wubba. It was like trying to brutally murder a marshmallow, but without subsequent sugar rush. Finally, he fell to his knees to await his horrific death.

The wubba licked him.

Fortuitously spared, Treehead collected himself to push past the wubba.

And the wubba licked him harder.

See, Wubbas can't be killed by Treehead's sword. Luckily, unlike most monsters, wubbas don't actually want to kill him. They just like running up to him, then passionately nuzzling him. So in a tight corridor like this, there's no way past a wubba.

Treehead backed out of the corridor into the open space so he could get around the wubba as it followed him around. "Stay here, you bothersome bonbon bag!" he yelled. And to his surprise, it did.

And now, a word about monster movement. Most monsters want to get as close to Treehead as possible. They do this by figuring out which adjacent space is the closest and moving into it. Because each room is laid out on a grid, that usually means moving along a diagonal. But what if that diagonal space is blocked?

When roaches (and most basic monsters) want to move diagonally but can't, they have a backup plan. First they try to move vertically, then they try to move horizontally; if both of those fail, they stay put. This lets roaches "slide" along walls to find Treehead.

Wubbas have no plan B. If they can't move diagonally, then damnit, they're going to stay right where they are. This means that they have a tendency to get "stuck" along walls, like above.

Quote:
Think I got a handle on these critters.
Treehead rushed forward ready to kill the roach behind the yellow door, but then he paused. "I suppose," he thought, "just in case there's some invisible creatures who have nothing better to do than count how long it takes me to clear out a dungeon and then give me some sort of ranking, then I might as well let this roach live, so I can kill it faster in a little bit." Despite the outlandishness of this idea, Treehead did it anyway.

And guess what, there's still more technical information to talk about in this room. Notice how the wubba managed to get in between Treehead and the roach? How that happened relates to another quirk of DROD: monster turn order.

With everything moving around the board, there has to be some sort of order to resolve conflicts. Obviously, Treehead gets to move first, so that he can kill monsters reliably. But the monsters take their turns in a particular order too. Monster order is based on when a monster was placed into the room during character creation (or when they were spawned), so you can't rely on it to be the same from room to room. High-level players use the quirks of monster order to do predict unusual movement. I . . . usually ignore it.

But it explains what happened in this picture. At one point, both the wubba and the roach had the opportunity to move into the space directly east of Treehead, and because the wubba had a higher priority, it got to move in first. But there's no guarantee that future wubbas will move before roaches in other rooms.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Wubba Wubba Wubba and a Doodly Doo

Twice South, Once West

In this room, the two groups of roaches in the northwest and southwest are easy enough to handle by Treehead forcing them to come through the corridor one by one. But the other roaches are in a good position to flank him once he comes out.

But wubbas can act as a meat shield for when Treehead's nephew isn't around.

Let's see what's west.

Twice South, Twice West

Yeah, this is one of the most pointless things in the game. I've never understood it. Moving on (or back, as it were).

HAHA! Victory always tastes best when it's allowed to ripen!

Twice South, Once East

Whoa. That's a lot of wubbas.

With the wide passageways between "chambers" in this room, it's easy for Treehead to get around. Wubbas will get stuck in the little alcoves, preventing them from overpowering Treehead. But backtracking can get a bit trickier, like the situation I got myself in right here. But even this wasn't too hard to move around.

Once South, Once East

This doesn't look like it's so many Wubbas, I'm sure Treehead will be out of here in no time.

*nuzzle*nuzzle*nuzzle*death*

There are a few less wubbas than in the previous room, but in a wide open space, it's a lot trickier to get around them.

Treehead's best bet is to use very, very wide circles to flatten them out along the wall and hold them still while he goes in for the queens.

Well, that was easy enough. Now let's get through the blue door and head for the exit with absolutely no further complications.

Once South, Once West

Oh god. Oh god. It's this room.

A long, long time ago, after I'd beaten the game, I thought I'd play through it from the beginning on a new character and take the opportunity to optimize some of the rooms. That playthrough ended when I reached this room.

This is, I think, the first really challenging room of the game. There's lots and lots of stuff going on at the same time, including a number of deathtraps, and the wubbas constrain your movements pretty severely.

There are lots of places that need special attention, but I want to highlight this area in particular, which I saved mostly for last. It's designed as a pretty cunning deathtrap. If you rush in to get the queen, the wubba will close in behind you. You have to draw out either the queen or the wubba to have a shot. And that gets really complicated once the queen has blocked up the passage with a bunch of roaches.

With judicious use of the save point, it's far from impossible. From here, it was simple to scare out the queen, lure out the wubba, then remove the last roaches, but it still took a while. This is the first room where you've got to deal with multiple problems and lots of chaos.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Do Not Wubba Me or I Will Wubba You

Once South, Twice West

Oh boy, it's Halph again.

Quote:
Hi, Unka Treehead.

Halph, what are you doing?

I was just playing with the wubbas. You never told me about them.

But you . . . well . . . I . . . Ah . . . Come on, let's go.
Halph, being an idiot, doesn't understand how to use the tunnel to open the gate blocking the wubba in the center north. But if Treehead does it, the wubba blocks off the passage before he can get out.

So we arrange a meat-shield party. To protect Treehead from the other meat shields. This game is weird.

Also, there's nothing to kill on this screen, thus there's no high score to be had. So don't waste your time trying to optimize like I did.

Twice South, Twice West

Quote:
I learned my lesson! I'm not touching that arrow.
It's okay. Come with me.
Of course, he doesn't.

Quote:
Oh no, Unka Treehead! The wubbas are blocking my way to the stairs.

Halph!

Quote:
I'll go through that passage!

Wait!
Helpful for one room, then disappears again? Is Halph Tuxedo Mask or something?

Anyway, we've got stairs to go down, and a Sixth Level to explore.

Quote:
I didn't mean to get you killed, Treehead. Forgive me.

How about the bottom-right corner of 1N2E? If so, that's a tricksy cracked wall.

Well, would you look at that.

The secrets on levels with this set of graphics can be really hard to spot. I had a hard time spotting this one when I was replaying through, even though I knew what I was supposed to be looking for.

The passageway empties out south, but . . .

It doesn't go anywhere. This little divot only exists because, without it, it's possible to get trapped in the secret corridor if you rush into it before cleaning out the room. So let's go back north and head to where we're actually going.

Now this is a promising secret passage.

And it leads us directly to where we're going, too.

Thrice North, Twice East

And where we're going is hell, apparently.

Hey, guys, mind if I finish this room after my vacation? You don't? Wonderful. That room on Fifth Level is what made me stop my previous replay, but this is one of the rooms that gave me nightmares the first time around. Secret rooms are going to start ramping up in difficulty compared to the main dungeon, and in retrospect this isn't even close to the worst this dungeon has to offer, but it still takes a while to get through.

Next time: Amadeus or Sexy Jesus?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Holy Swine

I liked that secret room! Sure, it's tricky, but it's no tar in terms of frustration. Also, there's a cracked wall at the south side of 2S1E, 5th floor.

Last edited by Gerad; 07-04-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Wrong Room
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 PM

Default Delving Again

After over three years of trying to find time and resources to resume this LP, I know have a streaming/recording setup, so I'm going to try this LP again. I'm going online in a little bit to start catching up with the thread so far.

http://www.twitch.tv/thesawofthetable
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM

The first two levels are up on YouTube:

Part 1: Going Down?

Tablesaw introduces things, creates a Treehead Woodfist profile, and fixes the sound quickly. Beethro enters the dungeon via a back entrance and clears First Level without much trouble.

Part 2: Child Labor Laws
Beethro confronts a few hordes of roaches, finds his first roach queens, forces his nephew to risk his life opening doors, and confronts a negotiator. We also optimize some rooms and visit the settings screen to turn on infinite undo.

[Updated]:

Part 3: Show No Mercy
On Third Level, Beethro encounters 31st Slayer who speakings in a creepily husky voice. He outwits him several times to make his escape with Halph. We also double back to find and complete secret rooms on First and Second Level.

Getting ready to continue in just a few minutes at www.twitch.tv/thesawofthetable

Last edited by Tablesaw; 07-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Abandoned

Last edited by Falselogic; 12-31-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Soon to be revitalized by Gerad!

So, look forward to that!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
So, look forward to that!
I absolutely am!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Holy Swine

Thanks for that lead-in, False! I’m neither Tablesaw nor Merus, but DRoD is one of my favorite games, and this here abandoned DRoD LP seems like as good a place as any to try to show you why I love it so much! It fits nicely in an intersection of several things I like in games: puzzles, optimization, the freedom from the need for manual dexterity, and a fun aesthetic.

I’m going to handle this the same way as Tablesaw: running through all the main rooms to the end of the game. If you see any spots that look like they might have secrets, let me know, and I’ll tackle them as they come up!

So, without further ado, let’s pick up where Tablesaw’s screenshots left off!

This seems ominous.

And yet the entrance is completely empty. Guess this level is going to draw it out.

Quote:
Golem 1: Golem, what’s that?

Golem 2: Is it a rock?
Once East has the answer: some new ugly rocky enemies with scary glowing eyes. What’s their deal?

They die with a stab, just like a roach, but upon death, they leave behind a rock that basically functions as a wall. I guess that’s why 43rd Geozoologist urged caution in the opening quote! In this wide-open room, the rocks are no trouble at all.

Once North Once East removes that room to maneuver. Killing a golem such that it blocks the way out of the room, or in any other fashion that makes the room unsolvable, requires a room restart.

Quote:
Golem 1: It is not hard like a rock.

Golem 2: It is soft.

Golem 3: If it is soft…we must crush it!
Big thinkers, these rock golems.

As the screenshot shows, golems move like wubbas. The bottom one has found a path toward Treehead and has advanced; the middle one would have been blocked from advancing even if it were a roach. But the top golem, unable to move directly toward Treehead on a diagonal, has refused to move rather than get closer by only moving vertically.

This is property is very important when herding rock golems and attempting to make sure their bodies don’t clog up any important passageways.

It’s just a matter of dancing along rows the golem can move on in order to lure it into a safe spot to be killed without blocking the path.

And again, with the next two. Can you figure out where Treehead can leave their bodies?

Anywhere he can move diagonally past them will work well. The middle golem has a few placement options, while the third one has only a single safe killing spot.

2N1E is a crossroads. Having learned well how to solve mazes as a child, Treehead keeps his left hand on the wall.

The result? Lots of golems.

Due to their wubba-like movement, and that breakable wall in front of them, these won’t move until Treehead steps north or south.

Which he delays as long as possible. With clumps of golems, you often get this type of zigzag pattern: step diagonally, killing the one on the diagonal, then turn your sword to kill the one in front of you. Rinse and repeat until they’re all behind the zigzag wall. Then find a new spot to start and do it again. You can can also move sideways only, turning your sword back and forth with each step, to create a straight line.

In this case, Treehead wants some protection from what will happen when he steps on that lone trapdoor. So he makes sure one of the lines of golem bodies provides him with that.

Indeed it does…but the walls formed by the bodies of Treehead’s defeated foes will protect him.

Wheee!

As long as Treehead makes sure not to box himself or any golems in a corner, the rest of this room is a piece of cake.

North from the fork has golems as well, if considerably fewer of them. Most of the golems here are straightforward to kill; only the four in the upper-right pose some difficulty. If Treehead steps in to attack them, one of the others will jump on him. The only way to lure one of them out is the trapdoor on the right side of the room.

That trapdoor allows Treehead to lure one golem out, leaving a manageable three golems in that corner.

East from the fork has an empty path; looks like Treehead will have to come back from another direction for those golems. In the meantime, a cutscene:

Quote:
Runner 1: I’ve got an urgent message for the Empire! 39th slayer says a troublesome delver, Beethro Budkin Treehead Woodfist, is going down to the Empire. He’s asking to send some help.

Runner 2: Okay, I’m on it.

And it’s back through the other side of 1N1E to new territory.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Holy Swine

Golem-filled territory. Like 2N, these golems won’t move until Treehead steps north or south.

Then it’s standard golem-fighting procedure: make a line all the way down, and then loop back around to clear out the rest.

Once they’re all piles of rock, the green door will open and Treehead can continue north, then east along the path the two runners were on.

On to another room where Treehead has to exploit the golems’ movement to avoid blocking himself in.

As long he leaves himself some room on a diagonal or at the edges of each formation, he’s fine. The golems at the bottom are a little tricky, as Treehead comes down into the middle of them from above; the answer is to lure the two nearest golems out a step, then backswipe them and use the cover from their bodies to take out the rest.

With that down, the rest is easy. The orb opens the yellow door, and after clearing the room, Treehead heads south first.

But south is a dead end. Back north he goes.

North has (of course) more golems. This is the tightest space yet in which multiple golems need to be dispatched; it’s important to try to leave diagonal lattices of golems, through which Treehead can slip with diagonal movements.

With that in mind, it’s just a matter of luring the golems to their deaths and then hitting the orbs to open doors.

Oh, Halph is here too for some reason. As Treehead moves through the game, Halph sometimes shows up just to make a better puzzle, and sometimes for the vestigial story.

So Treehead sends Halph on the long walk to the northeast orb to open up this door. Kids these days, so lazy; they need to be put to work every now and then.

The golems in the twisty passages, like the one south of Treehead here, need to be lured out so that Treehead or Halph can go hit the orb they’re guarding. It’s the trickiest part of this room, which isn’t saying much.

Eventually, all the doors are opened, and Treehead can move on to the west.

Here’s where things finally start getting a little less tutorial-y, and we actually see some things that aren’t rock golems. Here, Treehead needs to lure the rock golems out of their spirals, so that Halph can open doors and he can step on trapdoors to access the enemies hiding in the corners. In the meantime, the roach queens are sending roaches his way, so Treehead has to kill them while he’s circling the spirals.

The golem in the bottom-right is a little tricky to get out with killing Treehead; Treehead’s sword comes in handy to hold it up from exiting the spiral for a little bit, so that he can backswipe it later.

Once he’s done, those four golems from earlier are just south, finally letting Treehead clear 2N2E.

4N2E has many more golems, and the (re)disappearance of Halph.

The first couple chambers are another exercise in golem herding and killing, though in a little tighter quarters than before. They can get you if your golem-killing skills aren’t up to snuff.

The second one has the added complication of this line of golems at the bottom. Be careful where and when you lure them out!

You don’t want to end up trapped, like Treehead here!

*reset*

OK, much smarter with the diagonal patterns this time. Cleaning up the left side is fairly elementary: just dig to a golem group, kill them, and repeat until done.

Like so.

With all required rooms now clear, the blue door is open, and Treehead can return to 1N3E for more of the same golem goodness.

This room, though, has a twist; 39th Slayer is back again. This adds some urgency to the proceedings.

Try to move efficiently and keep moving and you can stay ahead of him. You can also circle back to the start of the room, lose the wisp, and then run out a big lead on him if you’re nervous, but that’s slow.

This level sure has some superfluous little passages.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Holy Swine

Here’s another “kill the golems in specific spots” challenge, this time with a Slayer about to enter the room close behind. Can you spot where the golems need to be killed?

One in each of the corners, and one in the extra square where the path jogs.

Then one on the extra trapdoor, and another next to the other trapdoor, sealing off the Slayer behind. But this golem is a problem; there’s nowhere safe to kill it!

*reset*

The answer is to avoid spending too much time in the same row as the bottom middle golem, keeping it stuck in its vertical row. Then, when Treehead gets down to the bottom, he’s able to kill it next to the extra trapdoor, and kill the last one in the middle of the last trapdoors, and then (finally) finish the room.

The last room is another Slayer race; Treehead has to hit the orbs to open the doors and kill the golems, all taking as little time as possible. Try to move your sword as little as possible in situations like this to keep your movement efficient.

Then it’s more of the same, until the last orb closes the door behind Treehead, allowing him to exit the level in peace.

Next time on DRoD:JtRH: sounds like another enemy introduction! Until then.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Holy Swine

With that lead-in, Treehead is dumped into the middle of a curiously peaceful leafy garden. How peculiar. The minimap is clear, so this screen really is clear already. Let’s find some enemies to stab.

To the east is this enigma. Looks like Treehead is going to have to come back later from another direction for this one.

To the north is this mess. Surviving all these roaches is going to take some crazy footwork…

…yeah, clearly not possible from this entrance. Another one for later.

1E is another one for later (this is becoming somewhat of a theme for this level). 39th Slayer is talking about some Beethro guy, but nobody knows who that is. In any case, he’ll eventually be a problem with those cheap staircamping tactics of his, but that’s a problem for later, when we figure out how to come back from the southeast. Going in the front door renders the room unwinnable, as Treehead has to go down the long windy path to hit the orb to open up the stairs down, and there’s no way to get enough distance from the Slayer to do so without him sealing Treehead in.

1N1E is, at last, a solvable room. In fact, it’s trivially easy; you can make life easier on yourself by killing the roach queens first, but unless you’re truly reckless, you’ll solve this one eventually.

On return to 1N, Treehead can now reach that inviting purple potion. Let’s chug it.

Whoa! The purple potion is an invisibility potion of sorts; when Treehead drinks one, only enemies five squares or less from him can “see him”; other monsters don’t react at all. Those roaches off on the left won’t follow him, and the roach queens in the corners won’t spawn roaches like the normally would. As you can imagine, this is quite useful!

I mean, in this room, the convenient bushes on the right side of this little hut did the trick, but in general: quite useful.

The invisibility definitely makes the cleanup easier, though! DRoD: Tactical Espionage Action.

Finishing the room opens up the green door to the west, but Treehead opts for the north path instead.

Invisibility potions are going to be a thing here. This room looks pretty straightforward; it’s not even clear what the invisibility potion is for, since Treehead can withstand all the roaches from the entrance hall.

But…there’s no way to get at the roach queens once they make it inside the little clusters of arrows without getting stuck on the arrows and unable to leave them room. Of course it’s not that easy. Reset!

OK, back again. This time, Treehead hustles straight to the potion.

Hmm…the roach queens still made it to the arrows, and this is as fast as Treehead can get there. First order of business: kill off the nearby roaches.

Once that’s done, the rightmost roach queen can be killed by approaching it from the west and killing it while stepping off one of the arrows.

But that won’t work for the left roach queen; stepping on the arrows that will let Treehead kill the queen and escape will also cause the queen to flee north and require a reset. And yet there’s no way to prevent the queen from getting to this point. So how can Treehead kill it? Take a second and see if you can think of a way.

The answer is to let the queen spawn a roach! The roach blocks the queen from fleeing north, and then it’s a simple matter of stepping onto the arrow to kill it, then off and back on to kill the roach.

This is really an excellent room. Aside from the well-executed invisibility tutorial that fits in well with the whole floor’s theme, there’s a great puzzle riffing on the additional wrinkle of how invisibility interacts with roach queen spawns – and since you had to enter this room from the south, you’ve spent the last room and a half trying to use invisibility to prevent roach queens from spawning, so it’s easy to forget in this context that they can.

To the west: back to the theme. Treehead obviously needs to pick up the nearby invisibility potion to keep from being swarmed by all the roaches those queens will spawn. But there’s no other invisibility potion in the room to turn the effect off, so he also needs to make sure all the roaches can get, if not off the trapdoors, at least within invisibility range.

That should do it. Now to clean up all those roaches.

But there’s a problem here…can you spot it?

One roach queen has escaped onto the trapdoors. And while Treehead can go to get it, he’ll get stuck on a trapdoor island if he does so. Let’s try this again.

Turns out there was an upper limit to how long Treehead could wait to grab the potion. Wait too long and that roach makes it onto the trapdoors. But if it’s even a step short of them…

…Treehead can approach directly from the south and take it out safely. With this room a dead end, Treehead circles back around and below to 1N1W.