The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 09-09-2017, 11:02 AM
I. Love. It.

Wishing all you Florida Tyrants the best.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM
King Of Space-Time

Via thrillist
FLORIDA GROCERY STORES ARE SELLING HURRICANE IRMA CAKES AND PEOPLE DON’T KNOW HOW TO FEEL

. . .
Old 09-09-2017, 01:22 PM
I like tribbles

What in the actual.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Space dad

Stay safe and good luck, Florida folks!
Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
What in the actual.....

It's both great taste and bad taste
Old 09-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Find Your Reason

They won't make cakes for gay couples but they'll make cakes for deadly storms that have killed and will kill people.

Bakers, I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm gonna go with frozen Sara Lees from now on.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Unreliable Narrator

My wife sent me a picture of "Go Away Irma" decorated cookie cakes, which at least don't celebrate the storm. But my Publix was out so I didn't get to witness this first hand.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:00 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I assume that cake would be for someone's inevitable and possibly tragic hurricane party.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
They won't make cakes for gay couples but they'll make cakes for deadly storms that have killed and will kill people.

Bakers, I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm gonna go with frozen Sara Lees from now on.
I might agree with you if these were from Mom and Pops, but these are from Publix, the biggest grocery chain in the southeast. I'm guessing they're pretty inclusive, but I don't have data on hand.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
I posted this in the weather thread, but if you need to evacuate and are willing to drive up to Southern Virginia, the roomie and I can provide some shelter. We don't have a whole lot of room, but the offer still stands! (You may need to bring air mattresses, as we live in a 2 bedroom house)

Likewise, it's probably way too late for this to be relevant, but my place in NC also has room.

Stay safe, everyone.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Likewise, it's probably way too late for this to be relevant, but my place in Birmingham also has room.

Stay safe, everyone.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Note to Readers
The Post is providing free digital access to hurricane-related coverage.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Looking at the news right now.

Stay safe west coast. : (
Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 AM

Update: the wordt has 0passed over where I live. Lotta branches in my yard and no power. But otherwise I'm fine.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 AM
actually an eevee

Glad to hear it, beat. Now to hear from my people on the gulf coast
Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Good to know your status as an Invulnerable Halloween Monster remains untarnished, skellyman.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Update: the wordt has 0passed over where I live. Lotta branches in my yard and no power. But otherwise I'm fine.
Thank God.

Similarly my family in and around Orlando has given the all clear.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Yes, let's feast!

From a co-worker:
Quote:
I’m scared. Those are words I never thought I would write when referring to St. John. But I’m scared. We’re only four days into this mess, and we’re hearing some awful things.

For starters, Joe’s Rum Hut was broken into the day after Irma hit. The ATM was stolen. They attempted to get cash out of the register, but it was empty as Joe’s closed for season earlier this month. The ATM next to Cruz Bay Landing was stolen. The ATM at the ferry dock was stolen. Scoops has been broken into. St. John Insurance has been broken into. They hold almost all of the insurance policies on this island. Makes you wonder the intentions of that burglary, doesn't it?

Dolphin Market in Coral Bay was looted the very first night. The very first night. We heard this morning that the Customs building in Cruz Bay was broken into and that guns were stolen. We heard that there was at least three robberies at gunpoint on Gifft Hill.

This is not St. John anymore. I’m not sure what it is. What I do know is that I am scared. My friends are scared. And we don’t know what to do.

Last night I was able to go home. What I failed to mention was that we had to install a bar on the inside of our door so no one could break in. This is our new reality. Last night, for the first time since moving here, I was afraid to walk down the streets of Cruz Bay. And it was only 6:30 p.m.

People are getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures from some unfortunately. We are only on day four. What’s going to happen next? I have seen absolutely no aid today except a few boxes of MREs walking down the street. I haven’t seen one helicopter land today. We hear help is on the way. Let’s hope so.

We need the military. We need men and women guarding our streets with guns. Our police force does nothing. They sit in their cars and yell at people over the loudspeaker. I kid you not. They’re not even helping with traffic in areas where it’s needed. You know who is? Our homeless people. Our homeless people are directing traffic, and our police are not. Let that sink in for a minute. Several police officers can be seen constantly at Ronnie’s Pizza - our new cell phone spot - and they’re scrolling through Facebook rather than patrolling our streets. I'm shocked they actually got out of their cars for that. I took pictures and I cannot wait until I have internet so I can share them with the world.

We need help. We need the United States government to step up. We need military. We need security. We all survived this monster storm. But will we survive the aftermath? No one knows. And that’s not me being dramatic at all. That, unfortunately, is the new reality of St. John.

This is no longer paradise. This is no longer my happy place. Please share this folks. Share away. Please get us help.
(paragraph breaks added)

St. John is part of the US Virgin Islands -- it is a US territory, like Puerto Rico.

Another co-worker posted a link to a GoFundMe for St. John. I can't personally vouch for its authenticity, so do your homework before you throw your money at it or anything else, since there are sadly all too many people willing to make a buck off of crises like this.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Still alive (but with no Internet and limited cell data). But we have power!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Whew; glad to hear you guys are pulling through!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Your life is forfeit

These "we are alive" updates are very good content, please continue posting them.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Power was out for half a day. The house is fine. We picked up a lot of branches outside. I'm going in to work in an hour, probably to inventory spoiled food. We're in good shape!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
These "we are alive" updates are very good content, please continue posting them.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
From a co-worker:

St. John is part of the US Virgin Islands -- it is a US territory, like Puerto Rico.
Man, that's awful. I hope the US sends the organized help they desperately need soon. I've been to St John, long ago when I was a kid. It was a gorgeous place. I hope it can be that place again.

Meanwhile, good to hear things seem to be pretty okay for our folks on the mainland.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:48 PM

I have nothing but seething, white-hot rage for our President and leadership with how the Irma response has been handled. US Troops and aid should have been swarming our Virgin Islands to help our fellow citizens days ago. Like, why the fuck are we spending trillions for a military and bureaucracy if they can't do a single useful thing or be deployed at a moment's notice??? I actually just can't.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 AM

Posting this from work because we STILL don't have power at home, and because I managed to break my cell phone in an unrelated, very BEAT-esque moment of sublime clumsiness lol. My office is actually officially closed today, as are many other offices in the area, but my employee ID/keycard still gets me in just fine and they have power and internet and air conditioning like they always do.

It's kinda fucked up that my street still doesn't have power, especially since the street right behind me apparently never lost power at all. Driving around yesterday after the curfew expired, my wife and I marveled at just how completely inconsistent the distribution of electricity seemed to be, with areas with no visible damage not even having working streetlights and areas where the roads had a good 6 inches of water yet to drain were lit up like Christmas. Orlando's power grid must be a gogdam clusterfuck.

Aside from being cranky and stuffing our freezer full of icepacks to keep our food from spoiling, we're fine. Patito hung out with us during the storm, and we actually managed to use the weekend to marathon ALL FIVE Sharknado movies. Patito and my wife thought they jumped the Shark at 5, but I personally think that was the point where the movies finally fully embraced the crazy and became what they always should have been. But I'm rambling now.

Hang in there, Florida.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Just enjoyed the Retronaut's Zork episode while collecting eight bags of leaves and sticks from my back yard. Podcast was just the right length. Even a nice tie-in with the taking the pile of leaves in the intro!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Is there not one thing

Word from Cape Coral is that damage is very light.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Fifth Business

My family and I ended up evacuating once the near-final projected path estimated its eyewall to be passing right through our county, which was an experience...our already kinda last-minute exodus was delayed by our car needing last-minute repairs before it was even up for the journey (and big thanks to the brave, bold mechanics at the only shop not already closed by then), and our whole area was mostly a boarded-up ghost town, and while we thankfully didn't have too horribly much traffic except for a few jams here and there (since most folks were already either long gone or bunkered down behind storm shutters to wait it out) almost every single gas station was completely out of fuel, and one even ran out while we were in line, making it pretty touch-and-go about if we could make it to a rare precious fuel oasis before we ran out of gas the whole way up the peninsula. ALSO, amidst all the pre-evacuation hubbub, my wife fell and broke her shoulder. Soooooo...yeah. But she is a badass, and kept on keeping on in spite of it. "I wanna get the HELL away from that giant-ass hurricane!!!" is a powerful motivating factor, as it turns out!

Luckily, we did manage to make it out before the storm hit, and good thing, too; while Irma was thankfully (like, you know, RELATIVELY thankfully) no longer the Category 5-would-be-6-if-hurricanes-went-that-high monster it previously was by the time it landed on our place, it still did a number on the town; from what we've heard about the status of things back at the ol' homefront, power's been out everywhere since, street signs all swept far away to direct traffic miles away, no place open for business, and trees blocking roads all over. They apparently even had the county's borders on lockdown until today, not letting anybody in or out, and there's still a curfew and nobody's quite sure when things will get normal again (and Florida Heat plus no Air-Conditioning is something at least close to approaching hell on earth). We're staying with some very kind and welcoming buddies in another state for the time being, and will probably wait to make the loooong drive back until the weekend, when hopefully things are a bit less wild west, and my wife's shoulder is in a bit less fragile and painful a condition.

We're grateful to have made it out rather than be stranded in all that, especially because our younger kid is autistic and those circumstances would be extra-tough on him. I was hoping to make a proper "Yup, still alive!" post earlier, but things have been pretty crazy and intense, and being a family of four plus our cat and our incredibly confused turtle, the room we're crashing in has been a wee bit crowded and hectic. But we are all alive, safe, and among friends, and that's the important stuff.

Very glad other folks on here are doing alright, though yeah...INTENSE STUFF.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Mystery Contraption

Didn't realize so many posters were in the path.

Glad no ones suffered anything worse than discomfort.

Tags
hellbent for weather , hurricane , keyboard vomit from beat , psa