The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 AM

Ecco The Dolphin OST is definitely not my music style at all. Though I was expecting a lot of music of this style to show up here. After all there are many people claiming that the Chrono Cross OST is good.

I hope a few electro/hardrock/techno/trance OSTs make it too.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 AM
It's all good, man

If this list was "best game songs" instead of "best game soundtracks" and I still forgot Baba Yetu I would have thrown myself off a bridge
Old 09-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Video Monster

I hadn't heard Baba Yetu until this thread, so it's already a success in my eyes. Or, ears, I guess.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM

tbh i don't really care that much for baba yetu but I generally like the civ iv soundtrack. I kinda get the accusation it's all just flavor music but it's good flavors.

And the ecco soundtrack is a masterpiece.

Also rya could you at least wait for chrono cross to show up before trashing it
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM
-ryn

I missed the deadline on this one, but I'm still following along and will comment on as far as I got in making my list.

Wind Waker - I have played much of it. I do really like the dragon roost song
Cave Story - I haven't played it, but I have listened to several covers of the main theme and its one I always tap my toes and enjoy listening to.
Civ 4 - probably would have been on my list. In the end, PB is right, a single song doesn't make a great soundtrack, but I love Civ so much I probably would have listed it anyways.

I really liked that Super MES band that Umby linked. I hadn't heard them before.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Umm, wow.
That was awesome. Somehow the Ecco the Dolphin soundtrack slipped by me and I'm glad it hasn't, now. I agree that it's mostly atmospheric and not exciting, but I am one of the people who appreciates that sort of music!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I really liked that Super MES band that Umby linked. I hadn't heard them before.
Glad to hear it! I'll continue to throw some covers up here and there just because I can't help myself and I hope y'all enjoy and learn about some of the bands.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:39 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Brian Coburn - Sound Effects and General Weirdness
life goals
Old 09-11-2017, 09:43 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

I knew Ecco wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm happy to see it's found an audience!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Mystery City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Ecco The Dolphin OST is definitely not my music style at all. Though I was expecting a lot of music of this style to show up here. After all there are many people claiming that the Chrono Cross OST is good.

I hope a few electro/hardrock/techno/trance OSTs make it too.
You don't have to comment on literally all music that's discussed, especially if utter negativity and contempt is all you can muster to contribute. This is, still, a thread about celebrating video game music.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Out Of Warranty

I honestly envy those of you who are listening to Baba Yetu for the first time. It's one of my favorite tracks. It is only one track, which is the main reason whi I placed Civ IV so far back in my list, but it is one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

Ecco is one of those games I should like, in theory, but I have never had the patience to play. And I do own it in several formats. I do enjoy what I've heard of its soundtrack, but I lack the proper context to appreciate it.

Anyway, let's go back to the countdown! Today's entries have just a few mentions, but they were highly placed mentions, enough to push them into Top 50 territory.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Out Of Warranty

#46 — Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
84 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #3 (Beta Metroid)

Featured track:
Grassland Groove

Busted BayouMangrove CoveTitle

Composed by:

David Wise
Daisuke Matsuoka
Minako Hamano
Shinji Ushiroda

Platform: Wii U • Release date: February 14, 2014
I just can’t wait to be Kong!

One of the most pleasant surprises for Donkey Kong fans (besides Nintendo announcing an entire new game for the Wii U out of the blue) was that Tropical Freeze’s soundtrack was being scored by the original composer for Donkey Kong Country, David Wise.

And a welcomed surprise it was. While the game itself didn’t set the sales charts on fire (the platform of choice might have been a factor) it was critically acclaimed, and many of those acclaims were directed toward Wise’s score - heck, Wired went so far to say that the game was worth buying just for its soundtrack.

Now, I’ve kept my involvement with the DKC series the barest minimum necessary to be able to hold a conversation with my Nintendo-crazy nephew, but I’ve spent this weekend listening to Tropical Freeze’s soundtrack and liking it a lot. What really strikes me is that there’s so much variety in it - echoing the game’s diverse settings - and each of them has something of note.

The featured track is “Grassland Groove”, a track filled with a great drumline and a joyful chorus that instantly transports you to the middle of a savanna - I’ve heard it described as Lion King-y, but it does impart you a solid sense of the setting in just a few seconds. And if that’s not your groove, then maybe you’ll prefer the guitar and the sax jamming along in Busted Bayou or the tropical island beat of Mangrove Cove. There’s something here for everyone, and I’m honestly pleasantly surprised by the variety and quality of this songs.

Maybe I should borrow my nephew’s copy of this game.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Bob

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a treat all around. Fantastic platformer that is incredibly challenging in a good way, and of course Wise's soundtrack is superb. I'll admit I forgot about Tropical Freeze on my list, it probably would have come in on the back end just because I don't really feel like listening to these tracks outside the context of the game, but they work well as level themes. If you haven't had the pleasure of playing Tropical Freeze, please do so. It's one of the games I wish Nintendo would port to the Switch so it'd have a wider audience.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Out Of Warranty

#45 — Saga Frontier
85 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (Rya)

Featured track:
Last Battle ~ Asellus

DoubtLast Battle ~ T260GTheme of the Cygnus

Composed by:

Kenji Ito

Platform: Playstation • Release date: July 11, 1997
Trivia: no other Squaresoft game has an inter-galactic lesbian overlord ending.

Ah, the black sheep of Square's RPG series. Let’s face it, Akitoshi Kawazu’s games are an acquired taste, but they are usually top-notch art-wise, with great soundtracks, and I honestly think they’d be more popular if the games themselves were a bit more accesible. Alas!

SaGa Frontier was the first exposure the Playstation generation had to the SaGa games. I honestly wonder what people new to RPGs - thanks to FFVII - thought of the weird mechanics Kawazu loves to pepper his games with. I, who had already had been exposed to RPGs since the NES era, found them interesting but… dunno, the words “slow” and “experimental” come to mind when I think of SF, and of the seven storylines you can play the only I bothered to finish through was Asellus’.... Which has a killer soundtrack.

The SaGa Frontier score was composed by veteran Square composer Kenji Ito - I see his credits were all over the place after this game, but he was the SaGa go-to composer, and he brings his familiar style to the PSX. The score’s instruments are inflicted with the familiar issue of sounding a bit too artificial as Square’s early PSX games did, but it still sounded amazing for the time, and the composition makes up for it.

While I personally find the soundtrack of the game being a bit too functional in places, that is perhaps a consequence of having so much music - each character has its own battle music and anthem, and some melodies only appear in specific scenarios. But the high points are really good, and you can find several styles in here tailored to each character, including the baroque layers in Asellus’ scenario (Doubt), or the techno beats and synth of T260’s sceneario (Last Battle ~ T260G) or some traditional orchestrated tracks in Red’s quest (Theme of the Cygnus)

Asellus’ scenario is the one that comes to mind when I think of SaGa Frontier, for obvious reason, and you can find all the goodness of that part of the soundtrack condensed into a single amazing battle track, our featured song “Last Battle ~ Asellus”. It starts with an amazing somber organ and harpsichord piece which then evolves into a more traditional battle theme with chords and drums - and then the harpsichord comes back carrying the main melody, and the song really becomes something else. If I ever have to duel somebody to the death in a mystic castle, this is the track I want playing in the background.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-11-2017, 12:29 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I have DKC Tropical Freeze, and I liked it, but I couldn't force myself through it because I have a rather large distaste for the Wii U. Here's hoping they release it on Switch; what I remember of it was impressive.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
life goals
im livin the dream baby
Old 09-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Video Monster

Haven't played either of these games. Tropical Freeze sounds great!

SaGa Frontier seems a bit pedestrian compared to what we've had already, but I can kinda see the appeal.

ETA: I listened to a couple more of those tracks and it's grown on me some.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Bob

I agree on Saga Frontier, it's certainly good but it doesn't really differentiate itself from other games from its time, I feel. I'm really liking Doubt, though! It's a thought-out composition.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Mystery City

Yay, SaGa Frontier! I had a hard time limiting myself and picking a favourite of Ito's works, and while I think Frontier doesn't always reach the absolute highs of some of the tracks found in other games, it's the most consistent and varied complete score he's done. He's always been a tremendous, top-of-the-line battle theme composer, with less success in environmental and incidental themes, and Frontier generally has a good assortment of both. The character leitmotifs are also really strong, and beautifully cascade into the final battle themes. Hearing Asellus's central themes arranged into one medley like this was revelatory, and increased my enjoyment of the original versions as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Saga Frontier is one of the ultimate soundtracks. I can't believe I forgot to vote for both I and II.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM
-ryn

DKC TF - I don't remember the music having a big impression on me, but I enjoyed listening to the linked tracks. I agree that there's lots of variety. I didn't really love the grasslands one, but really liked the bayou.

SaGa Frontier - I liked Doubt. I've never played the game, but if I had some nostalgia for it, I could see myself voting for it.

Bastion is growing on me a little listening to more of it.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
He's always been a tremendous, top-of-the-line battle theme composer, with less success in environmental and incidental themes
Uh. This is a good summary of the SaGa Frontier OST, IMHO... The battle tracks are very good, but most of the other tracks just fade away in the background. But there are some very good highlights.... "Doubt" is incredible, and I was amazed to realize I still remember it vividly - the last time I had heard it was almost two decades ago.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM
TARANTUL

I'm a pretty big fan of Last Battle ~ Asellus and Battle 4 (which I believe was also what played on the old prerecorded demo disk that most of us saw before playing this) in addition to the tracks you guys listed on the SaGa Frontier OST. Though really most of it's pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Uh. This is a good summary of the SaGa Frontier OST, IMHO... The battle tracks are very good, but most of the other tracks just fade away in the background. But there are some very good highlights.... "Doubt" is incredible, and I was amazed to realize I still remember it vividly - the last time I had heard it was almost two decades ago.
Asellus' quest is easily the game's strongest and there's some really good music composition and motifs holding it together thematically.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Saga Frontier! I voted for it, and I'm honestly surprised it made the list. I was torn between it and Romancing Saga 2 as my Saga/Ito rep, but the decision went to Frontier ultimately because it's the most well-rounded of all the soundtracks, and it just has a lot of really good themes. Asellus' last battle track was my pick too; it's just such a good, melodramatic theme, and encapsulates everything about that storyline really well.

There's more to say here too: besides the other great songs linked, there's also Opening Title. While there's no text or anything else to introduce you to the story, just hearing this song fills me with excitement. It promises adventure, grandeur, drama, and more!! so powerfully, I couldn't help but be fixed while it played the whole time. Or how about Fight! Alkaiser, a really good riff on heroic Kamen Rider/tokusatsu themes. And I know the usual consensus is that Ito isn't as good at environmental themes, but things like Dungeon 1 and ALONE tug at my heartstrings with their beautifully sombre melodies.

Saga Frontier is the gift that keeps on giving, and I could go on forever about all the themes in it and how much I love them.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Tropical Freeze with no Windmill Hills? Outrageous!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Bob

Well it sounds like I'm going to have to mine more into Saga Frontier to really get its impact! Sorry for being so glib about it before, it sounds like there's a lot to love.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:50 PM
#deadfish2017

SaGa Frontier has its moments but I had to vote for Frontier 2, Lord of the Leitmotif.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Tropical Freeze's music is good stuff. I find it a bit overwhelming outside the game, but it's a delightful score in-game for sure.

I'm not as blown away by SaGa Frontier, but I really like "Final Battle ~ T260G". Robots are good.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Good stuff! I especially like Saga Frontier and Ecco the Dolphin; might have to play those someday...
Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Tropical Freeze with no Windmill Hills? Outrageous!
I went Mangrove Cove instead, but that one was a close second. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece and the music is just as good as the rest of it.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON FRIEND View Post
This is adorable.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation