The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Out Of Warranty

Default Beeps and Boops: Top 50 Video Game Soundtracks Nomination Thread

The soothing orchestra that lulls our avatar to sleep in the town’s inn, the boop sounds that accentuate the rhythm of our machine gun as is bullets punch holes into the aliens, the prog rock chorus that confirm us that this really, really is the ultimate form of the final final boss…. Music is one of the most memorable parts of the gaming experience, and now it’s time to officially find out which game has the best tunes. Tyrants, it’s time to vote for the best Videogame Soundtrack of all time.

Just pick the games with your favorite soundtracks, sort them in a list and send them to us. But! We’d also like to know what you consider the highlight of each soundtrack, so we’d appreciate if you’d also include the name of your favorite track from each game with your entry. For example:

Quote:
1. E.T. (Atari 2600)
2. UHF (Commodore 64) “Gandhi II”
3. Brave Sauce The Victory The Game “Hotness / Love Theme”
….
25. Wonderful Generic RPG (PSX) “Behold My True Form!”
Send us your Top 25 Videogame Soundtracks (ordered and clearly numbered, s'il vous plaît) through PM to Positronic Brain and Conchobhar (either of us is fine, but things will go smoother if you cc: to both of us). Please keep your submissions in plain text, with no YouTube embeds. The deadline is September 2nd, 23:59:59 GMT. Yes, GMT. Embrace globalism, baby.

So, any questions? You. Yes, you, in the back.

Do arranged soundtracks count?

No, they don’t. We’re talking about original soundtracks - the music as it was in-game. So keep that in mind before you start debating yourself which of the two dozen Ys Arrangement Albums is the best.

Does that mean we’re voting for official releases?

No. We’re looking at music by its inclusion in a videogame. So games whose soundtracks have never been officially released are still eligible, and games whose soundtrack has been split across multiple CDs still only count as one.

Do licensed soundtracks count?

Yes, if they were used in-game, they totally count. So if you would like to nominate Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix, you could. Theoretically.

What about ports? Do I need to specify a platform when I send in the game?

No. Only specify a platform to disambiguate between different games (like E.T. for the 2600 from E.T. for the PS2) or if you consider that a specific release of a game has such a different soundtrack that it is a different experience to any other version. If you think the soundtrack of Wonderful RPG for the PSX is completely different to the release in N64 because the former used Redbook instead of Sampling, then vote for “Wonderful RPG [PSX]”. If you don’t think there is any notable difference in your experience, then just vote for “Wonderful RPG”. We’ll group the votes for game title, and if one platform rules over any other we’ll take that in consideration when we tally the votes.

Do I need to include my favorite track in the vote?

No, if you don’t have one or are having trouble deciding or just don't want to do it don’t worry about it. Including your favorite track will make the final list more memorable, but don’t feel forced to.

I can’t come up with 25 tracks! Can I just send ten?

Sure. Send ten, or one. We want to hear about your favorites, even if they don’t amount to 25.

I don’t want to vote.

That’s not a question! But it’s OK, you don’t have to. I hope you enjoy the list when it is released. Just remember that it’s your fault that E.T. for the 2600 ended up at #1.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Out Of Warranty

By the way, a disclaimer: both Conchobhar and I are voting too, but we have already elaborated and sent our lists to each other so we won't get influenced by your vote. And at the end, as tradition dictates, we'll be releasing the complete list with all the votes.

We're eagerly waiting for your lists, and if you have any questions, well, that's what this thread is for!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Outer Spacean

Well shit there's my weekend
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
Well shit there's my weekend
Accurate.

Can I just list Chrono Trigger 25 times?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Not a Beer

Seriously. Making decisions for this was already gonna take a bit. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
But! We’d also like to know what you consider the highlight of each soundtrack, so we’d appreciate if you’d also include the name of your favorite track from each game with your entry.
...now it's gonna take quite a bit.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Accurate.

And Chrono Cross.

Real question, does Final Fantasy Threthymamroo Curtain Call (spelling, I know) for the individual games or just itself or not all because it's cheating to put forth a game that has the best songs from a series known for its music?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Seriously. Making decisions for this was already gonna take a bit. But...

Quote:
But! We’d also like to know what you consider the highlight of each soundtrack, so we’d appreciate if you’d also include the name of your favorite track from each game with your entry.
...now it's gonna take quite a bit.
Heh heh heh.

This was definitely the toughest list I've made so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Real question, does Final Fantasy Threthymamroo Curtain Call (spelling, I know) for the individual games or just itself or not all because it's cheating to put forth a game that has the best songs from a series known for its music?
I'll check with Positronic Brain.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:44 PM
meaningless [C]ode

For games with expansions, would we count music from each expansion separately, or as part of the main game? For example, FFXIV has two expansions- Heavensward and Stormblood. Would they all be considered the same soundtrack, or would we consider them 3 different soundtracks?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Not a Beer

Oh man, I hadn't even considered Theatrhythm. Games that are explicitly collections of tracks from other games does seem a bit like cheating... And yet, also a tempting way to sneak in a vote for an entire franchise. Hmmm.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:52 AM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
And yet, also a tempting way to sneak in a vote for an entire franchise. Hmmm. split the vote.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
We've decided that Theatrhythm and its ilk are ineligible for this list, in the same way that it's unsporting to choose Sound + Vision as one's favourite David Bowie album (someone once tried to do this to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
For games with expansions, would we count music from each expansion separately, or as part of the main game? For example, FFXIV has two expansions- Heavensward and Stormblood. Would they all be considered the same soundtrack, or would we consider them 3 different soundtracks?
How to count expansions, DLC and other additional content is a tricky one. For expansions, we've ultimately come down on the side that expansions are, well, expansive enough to be considered distinct products and experiences, and so— for the purposes of this list— are separate entries from their base game. On the other hand, we view DLC as not being substantial enough to merit a separate entry, and they're lumped in with their base game.

Of course, the line between DLC and expansions is a blurry one; if anyone has an edge case, contact one or both of us (ideally both) about it, and we'll judge it on a case-by-case basis. But the rule of thumb is that if it was marketed as DLC, it still counts towards the base game; but if it was marketed as an expansion, then it's separate.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 PM
whatever it takes

I'm limiting my list to one game per series and it's still impossible.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Outer Spacean

I think I've got it down to 30. 5 too many. You monsters.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

A question* for conchobhar and Positronic Brain - can we include soundtracks for arcade games and computer games? Or is this just for console games?

Quote:
Do I need to include my favorite track in the vote?

No, if you don’t have one or are having trouble deciding or just don't want to do it don’t worry about it. Including your favorite track will make the final list more memorable, but don’t feel forced to.
Well, that's going to make this a lot less difficult. But it will still be difficult (as Vaeran and WildcatJF have stated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Yes, but you have to list a different track each time.

*Which could make things even more difficult.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
A question* for conchobhar and Positronic Brain - can we include soundtracks for arcade games and computer games? Or is this just for console games?
Arcade and PC games are definitely allowed!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Arcade and PC games are definitely allowed!

Yup. And as a reminder, you're voting for the entire soundtrack. We're asking you to mention specific tracks just to have a little more fun (and torture you guys).
Old 08-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Outer Spacean

Okay, down to 25. So long my poor children 26-30. I still love you.

Now to rank the rest OMG
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 AM

I mean, it's rather pointless to vote for it (since nobody else will), but what if the EU release had a different OST than the US release? Can I vote specifically for the EU version?

Also good thing I've listened through pretty much all OSTs on youtube during my vacation (while programming all day on my game project). That really helped me realize some good OSTs I didn't think of before, because I didn't like the actual games so much. Otherwise my list would have been pretty much identical to my favorite games list.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
I mean, it's rather pointless to vote for it (since nobody else will), but what if the EU release had a different OST than the US release? Can I vote specifically for the EU version?
You sure can - this is grandfathered in the "different platforms" rules - but how different it is from the US version to consider it a separate soundtrack? Any specific examples in mind?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Fantavision

The EU OST is completely different and amazing, it really made the game one of my favorite games of all time. It even has a different narrator.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6aqyigyzk

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da7RYUSU5-8

Edit3: Also pretty sure all Dance Dance Revolution and Karaoke games have local OSTs.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Not a Beer

Here's an edge case I thought of that I don't think I can talk about without naming the specific series: Smash Bros.

On the one hand, they do have some original tracks, but on the other hand those are far, far outnumbered by tunes taken from different original series. But on the third hand, most of those tunes are significantly remixed from their original game versions.

Verdict? (I dunno if I'm even voting for any of them, the thought just came to me while I was pondering games...)
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM
whatever it takes

It all plays while you're playing Smash Bros., so it's the soundtrack to Smash Bros. I say it counts.

EDIT: Also, if a song being a rearrangement or remix of a song from a previous game disqualifies it, then large chunks of soundtracks from many series have to get axed as well, and I don't think that's in the spirit of this poll. Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania are all examples of series that lean heavily on their musical legacy, and I guarantee they're all going to place in the top 50.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 AM

The Smash Bros soundtrack is stellar, but the music is used better in the original games, so i ended up not voting for it. I mean, Midna's Lament is in Twilight Princess and Smash Bros, but in the latter it doesn't make me feel anything.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Bob

Figuring out the games I thought were worthy of Top 25 weren't too hard. Figuring out the order, though, was soul-ripping.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 AM

@Positronic Brain
Would a link to youtube help you for the favorite song?

Man, making this list would be much easier for me if it was per series and per composer rather than per game.

Edit: Wonder if I should order by best song or order by best overall impression. By best song is much easier because I can compare fast. Hmm.

Edit2: Thinking about which song is my favorite of each OST is actually pretty fun, but this will take a while. For half the OSTs I know the song right away, though.

Last edited by Rya; 08-22-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
It all plays while you're playing Smash Bros., so it's the soundtrack to Smash Bros. I say it counts.

EDIT: Also, if a song being a rearrangement or remix of a song from a previous game disqualifies it, then large chunks of soundtracks from many series have to get axed as well, and I don't think that's in the spirit of this poll. Mario, Zelda, and Castlevania are all examples of series that lean heavily on their musical legacy, and I guarantee they're all going to place in the top 50.
Vaeran has it right. The difference between Smash Bros and Theatrhythm is that, while both consist almost entirely of pre-existing compositions, Smash Bros features new (and exclusive) versions of the songs. If Theatrhythm is Sound + Vision, then Smash Bros is The Mix.

Ideally, a vote for Smash (or any soundtrack that heavily features remixed tracks) is a vote for those specific arrangements and their new context, not strictly the compositions. But of course that's impossible to police.

Quote:
@Positronic Brain
Would a link to youtube help you for the favorite song?
We prefer plain text submissions. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 AM

Okay, I'll get the links anyway. I'll remove them when I send the list to you.

Now, I'm in the trouble that I really like an OST, but my favorite track from that OST has a remix in another game that's even better, hm!

Edit: And sent! I probably could shuffle them around forever and wonder which of the 30 OSTs I really like I should include, but I was pretty satisfied with the order so I decided to just send it before I change my mind again.

Edit2: Damn, I totally forgot a game. =/ Oh well, nobody else would vote for it anyway.

Edit3: If you ignore / delete my PM I can send you an updated list tomorrow I guess.

Last edited by Rya; 08-22-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
If you ignore / delete my PM I can send you an updated list tomorrow I guess.
Don't worry, we accept corrections - just be sure to state clearly that your list is a correction and not a new one, so we don't accidentally skip it thinking it is a duplicate.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:21 AM

Oh cool, I was already giving up on it because conchobhar already applied my list, but I have an updated list ready.

I actually changed quite some things. I now have 32 titles. Though the last few games on the list are mainly games where I only really liked a single song from, so I gladly just cut them out.

I really want to talk about certains OSTs now but I guess I better wait until this is through.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Not a Beer

God damn this is hard. I just started in on this in earnest, and so far my draft list has fifty-two soundtrack entries, most of them with multiple tracks for consideration. And I know I'm forgetting things because it's just been seeded from previous game lists plus a skim of my iTunes sorted by ranking.

Can... can we submit more than one "favorite" track per entry?

*buries head in hands*

Tags
democracy in action , democracy was a mistake , top 50