The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Default Art Clubs, Forums, and maybe Classes

I drew a lot a long time ago. I'd like to get back into it but I haven't felt any inspiration for a long time.

I made most of my artwork in school. I took a lot of art classes in college as well. It would be great if there was a local art hobby group. My local makerspace is great about helping people get started on various projects in technology and practical arts (woodworking, metalworking, laser cutting, 3D printing) and it would be happy to have a volunteer run art events, but if I ask them about it they'd probably want me to lead them and I don't feel up to that. My town also has a small arts district. Most of the stores there have art supplies or finished works for sale, plus a museum. I'm not sure if it has clubs or classes for creating anything.

What are the best online forums for sharing art its members have created? Are there any online art classes? Is that a thing?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM
An Animal of Joy

It's a thing, but I don't think you'll get a lot out of online junk. Go into the art store and ask about classes, or get on their mailing lists. Also search your area for Drawing Co-ops, which are usually put on by schools but are open to anyone who wants to pay a very small fee to do some figure drawing or painting. Usually they're like $10-$20 to join a session.

If you're wanting some kind of online community, I haven't really found a good one. Most people get either complete silence in return, or a lot of useless "That's so great!" if you did a Mario or something. It's really hard to find conversation about art that is analogous to what you get in real life.

That said, if you want to post some stuff here I'll do my best to respond constructively.