The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
you should come to california and see DEG in concert with me.
I am strongly considering staying a few extra days when I fly down to see the family for Thanksgiving, since they're playing in L.A. on the 29th. I could probably even sweet talk my parents into paying for the tickets! now that I'm out in the big scary world fending for myself, I don't feel so bad about mooching every once in a while.

I don't know how I could possibly make it to the San Francisco show, though. :[ things are complicated when you don't have a car.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I heart Devin Townsend. I don't listen to a whole lot of metal these days, but I can always listen to Devin Townsend.
Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, or Strapping Young Lad? Or all of the above. I find that I enjoy The Devin Townsend Band. I have some SYL, but I don't like it as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
...Dir en grey...MUCC
I've heard snippets here and there from both bands and they didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I haven't heard the right snippets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks
(well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.)
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet? Their drummer is the most metal of metal drummers. But beyond that I'm mostly into the "classic metal" of the 1980s and early 1990s. Metal these days! I just don't understand those kids.
Incorrect. He's the most jazz of metal drummers. I find Mastodon to be awesome, but sometimes tiring. I'm anxious awaiting their new album, though, which apparently is done or mostly so, but not coming out until much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv
Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death
Not at all....although I don't like them.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, or Strapping Young Lad? Or all of the above. I find that I enjoy The Devin Townsend Band. I have some SYL, but I don't like it as much.
Devin Townsend (along with the DT Band). I don’t mind the odd SYL song, but I enjoy his other work a lot more.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I've heard snippets here and there from both bands and they didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I haven't heard the right snippets?
it's possible! early Dir en grey and modern Dir en grey might as well be two different bands, and MUCC do so much genre bending I don't even know how to explain what kind of band they are.

Quote:
Why not?
you don't get audiophile cred unless the music is in the shape of a disc. (the exact amount of cred is directly proportional to the size of the disc.)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

Coming from the country of True Metal, here are some of my favorite albums:

Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon - One of the most well-known Norwegian black metal bands. Epic black metal and silly costumes. Here's the video of their most well-known song, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. Their newest album, In Sorte Diaboli, is pretty good too. Check out the vid for the song The Serpentine Offering to see their version of the christening of Norway.

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical - More Norwegian Black Metal. The album starts out "radio friendly" as the youtube commenters remark, but gets progressively harder. Here is the first track of the album, quite catchy.

The Kovenant - Animatronic - Norwegian band playing "Space Metal" with lots of synth. They are not very big fans of organized religion! I posted a song from them earlier, here's another one, with them totally massacering their guitars.

Masterplan - Masterplan - This band likes power ballads. Mostly Swedish band members, but the vocalist, Norwegian Jřrn Lande, sings like an angel. I saw him singing Queen live, it was fantastic. I really love the last track, When Love Comes Close.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Armageddon March Eternal: A Symphony of Slit Wrists - Melodic Death Metal with angry growling dude and nice singing lady, with song titles like "The Bleeding Eyes of a Breeding Whore", "I See Nothing But Flesh", and "Resurrected for Massive Torture". And tell me this isn't one of the most metal album covers ever.

I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills. And of course there's Judas Priest, Motörhead, and the German band Arch Enemy. Even if you don't like death metal, look at this video of Arch Enemy if only to be blown away by the vocalist.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Gettin' dizzy

I love Metal, but I havent really found any recent bands that I really wanted to latch on to. Last time I got started on a band was Soilwork, and they were pretty good until Figure Number Five, then it was downhill from there.

So anything new that I should pick up?

Thinaran, I love that Dimmu album you mentioned.

Last edited by SlimJimm; 10-28-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Dimmumumumumu
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

I'm more into ballsy modern metal than 80s thrash (much as I enjoy Megadeth or Anthrax). This mostly consists of bands like System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Protest the Hero, or of course....

Quote:
Mastodon
Boom.

What really bothers me is this sudden influx of doom "metalcore" (ugh) bullshit. A good example is that awful, awful Visions track from Rock Band 2. There's lots of stuff like that, and it just boggles my sanity. Okay guys, I get it. You have speed. You can play really fucking fast. But can you make your dreck appealing to listen to?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Implies Authority

Quote:
(the exact amount of cred is directly proportional to the size of the disc.)
I think 3"s are pretty specialized/audiophile cred-getting. (for those that don't know, they are mini cds that will not work on PCs and can get crushed in Macs)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
it's possible! early Dir en grey and modern Dir en grey might as well be two different bands, and MUCC do so much genre bending I don't even know how to explain what kind of band they are.
i gotta say this bums me out. early DEG is my favorite japanese band of all time, and one of my favorite anywhere bands of all time. post six ugly, and they're a damn mess.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me.
This. Very much this.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet? Their drummer is the most metal of metal drummers. But beyond that I'm mostly into the "classic metal" of the 1980s and early 1990s. Metal these days! I just don't understand those kids.

Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death? Come on guys, Scum is a really good album.

I have Blood Mountain, and love it, ut am currently looking for something that sounds like the song they did yor the Aqua Teen Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsRddk_cb0

If anyone can direct me to something that sounds like that please let me know

Currently listening to:

GWAR - Beyond Hell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m285kyg8x8
Gorgoroth - the one with carving a giant, whatever its called - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q88Ix6q_ho
Stovokor - Klingon metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZROp3xVSI
Amon Amarth - With Oden On our Side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhptP8j-t-M
Old 10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I have Blood Mountain, and love it, ut am currently looking for something that sounds like the song they did yor the Aqua Teen Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsRddk_cb0

If anyone can direct me to something that sounds like that please let me know
I have pretty much all of their stuff and don't recall anything with vocals like that. If you have Blood Mountain, you have a decent idea of what their other output sounds like. I'd suggest Leviathan as a follow-up.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
who's she

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet?
Great band. I don't think Leviathon quite lived up to Remission, but Blood Mountain was fantastic and really showed off just how good those guys are with their instruments. Check out Remission, I just listened to it again yesterday and it's awesome.

Quote:
Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death? Come on guys, Scum is a really good album.
Not at all, my good man!

Speaking of which, check out this custom Guitar Hero 2 Napalm Death song. (Note: I can't actually view youtube at work, but I think this is the right link. If it's only a couple seconds long, it's the right one.) Makes me laugh every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinaran View Post
Coming from the country of True Metal, here are some of my favorite albums:

Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon - One of the most well-known Norwegian black metal bands. Epic black metal and silly costumes. Here's the video of their most well-known song, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. Their newest album, In Sorte Diaboli, is pretty good too. Check out the vid for the song The Serpentine Offering to see their version of the christening of Norway.

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical - More Norwegian Black Metal. The album starts out "radio friendly" as the youtube commenters remark, but gets progressively harder. Here is the first track of the album, quite catchy.
I don't know the other bands you mentioned, but these two are both great. When black metal is just right, I can't get enough of it. (Personally, I prefer Emperor.) I thik Dimmu takes the "symphonic black metal" angle a bit far at times, but there's good music there.

Quote:
I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills. And of course there's Judas Priest, Motörhead, and the German band Arch Enemy. Even if you don't like death metal, look at this video of Arch Enemy if only to be blown away by the vocalist.
Pantera is one of the best metal bands. Period.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
kill

and the German band Arch Enemy. Arch Enemy is Swedish. But still pretty good. Also the band Death is pure metal awesomeness. They are not nearly as well known as they deserve to be. Too bad their main songwriter/singer Chuck Schuldiner died. Also does anyone else here like blasting american technical death metal? Like the bands Origin, Hate Eternal, Nile, Brain Drill etc. Origin is from Kansas (like me) and they're pretty sweet. They even got a video on Mtv somehow. Also everyone, check out my band on myspace www.myspace.com/depravedheretic they are only crappy demos with just guitar and drums but we will have better recordings up before long with vocals and everything. Critiquing is accepted and appreciated! And we wrote those songs when we were like 18 or 19 so yeah.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
A No.1

Man, Origin and Nile are both sweet.

Ok, so: who here hasn't heard Neurosis? Because they might be the best band ever.

Quote:
Oh, right, I forgot to comment on the others: Priest and Motorhead are classics, how could you listen to metal and not know them?

Arch Enemy is pretty good, too. I admit they're a bit over-the-top and cheesey, but a)everyone's got something like that in their musical closet, and b)the singer is hot. Wages of Sin is, and always will be, a fantastic metal album. Their last record wasn't half bad, either.

...the problem with Arch Enemy is that I think of Michael Ammot, who then makes me think of Carcass, and I'm reminded that Carcass is a much, much better band. Heartwork is one of my favorite albums of all time.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Level 10 Roustabout/Knave

I'm mostly into The Locust and Genghis Tron as far as my taste in people screaming nonsensically goes, although the latter owes a significant amount to progressive and electronica.

Also, it probably doesn't count, but has anyone heard the new Fucked Up album? It's pretty tops. Probably the best _____core album that starts with a flute solo this year.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhhh View Post
"and the German band Arch Enemy." Arch Enemy is Swedish.
Oh shit, I confused them with Kreator. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Peaked early

I take my metal with a hearty dose of electronics, when possible. Has anyone heard Rabbit Junk? Dumb name, but a really great post-digital hardcore outfit.

My favorite "new" artist of the past few years is Aaron Spectre's project Drumcorps. It's a blastbeat breakcore take on metal that never gets so abstract that the groove is lost. Lucky for you and me, he just released a high bitrate EP of Animosity remixes. It kicks ass. BONUS: It's called Altered Beast.

I love black metal, but not entirely without a touch of irony. I'm particularly fond of Carpathian Forest and related project Natterfrost - they are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but not a joke band.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Goodbye!

Welp - might as well plug my brother's band.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 PM

talking about the new Dir en grey album upthread willed an internet leak into existence! I am listening to this album right now, you guys! time travel is amazing.

EDIT: opening the album with a 9-minute epic? awesome.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Just Talking Meat

I feel like I should have a lot to add to this topic, but after two gigantic Best of 19__'s lists I'm still kinda metaled out. Besides, this year has been kinda shitty for metal.

The new Gojira album is the bees knees though, and anyone into old school death metal needs the Hail of Bullets debut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor
I'm more into ballsy modern metal .... Killswitch Engage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
What really bothers me is this sudden influx of doom "metalcore" (ugh) bullshit.
These statements make no sense to me at all.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
talking about the new Dir en grey album upthread willed an internet leak into existence! I am listening to this album right now, you guys! time travel is amazing.

EDIT: opening the album with a 9-minute epic? awesome.
pm me a link.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 AM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

I'm more into the mainstream stuff, really. Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, that sort of thing.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Cthulhu View Post
I'm more into the mainstream stuff, really. Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, that sort of thing.
I'm pretty sure calling Audioslave metal would get you lynched in some of the seedier parts of the internet (screen noose! hangs you from monitor!).

'Course, you're where folks treat folks right, so you're in no immediate danger. Just a heads up.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

Thanks, Sheriff.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
What I've heard of these guys has never done anything for me. The whole symphonic thing leaves me cold. It also brings up the discussion of keyboards in metal: can they ever not water down the aggression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinaran
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
I've heard two songs from this (the other was "King") and kind of dug them. At the risk of blowing my metal cred, I struggle a bit with the more blatant "Hail, Satan!" aspects of some metal (especially black metal). I'm not hugely religious, but it's just something that gives me pause. Maybe I'll elaborate on this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinaran
I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills.
Pantera are required listening in my view, but only up to VDoP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletSon View Post
I take my metal with a hearty dose of electronics, when possible. Has anyone heard Rabbit Junk? Dumb name, but a really great post-digital hardcore outfit.
This strikes me as the bastard child of Big Black and Fear Factory.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:22 PM

57 posts and no mention of Opeth?

I'm really into progressive metal, some death metal, and black metal these days...especially where the two intersect.

Currently I'm into:

Diabolical Masquerade (progressive/avant-garde black metal)
Bloodbath (death metal)
Opeth (progressive death/folk?/awesome)
Burzum (black metal)
Immortal (black metal)
Between the Buried and Me (progressive metal)
Amon Amarth (viking metal)
The Super Metroid Soundtrack
Metroid Metal

I'll be more than happy to provide song suggestions/links for prospective listeners of any of these bands
Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Nonplussed

I didn't go much into a listing of what I'm into, since the original thrust (heh heh) of the thread was what you're currently listening to. Opeth is, indeed, quite enjoyable, although I'm very saddened by the departure of Martin Lopez. He had an amazing ability to bring a swing to the heaviest grooves that I found delightful.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't go much into a listing of what I'm into, since the original thrust (heh heh) of the thread was what you're currently listening to. Opeth is, indeed, quite enjoyable, although I'm very saddened by the departure of Martin Lopez. He had an amazing ability to bring a swing to the heaviest grooves that I found delightful.
Right, I meant I'm kind of focusing on prog/death/black metal right now instead of prog rock, Uematsu, etc.

You aren't kidding though. The new drummer is amazing in his own way, but I don't think Lopez's performance on Damnation will ever be matched.

Tags
koЯnsyrup , music , \m/