The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM
#deadfish2017

I LttPed Arkham Aslyum this week. After hearing so much sugar about it over the years I was surprised but how underwhelming it was. Just about every aspect of it came up short. Gameplay was tedious, graphical design obnoxious, story and writing stupid. The best part was the atmosphere, and that was undercut by all the other stuff. The ending was especially limp, and left an aftertaste of "what was the point?"

To fight a Todd McFarlane clown I guess.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
STATACTATON

Maybe it's a case of expectations? I had nothing but fun with that game. First game that felt like it successfully translated that scrolling beat-em-up feel to 3D, and first Batman game that makes you feel like Batman.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM
#deadfish2017

Maybe it's just me. I like batsman more the less he punches.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Maybe it's a case of expectations? I had nothing but fun with that game. First game that felt like it successfully translated that scrolling beat-em-up feel to 3D, and first Batman game that makes you feel like Batman.
There's also the fact that the combat may very well feel tedious by this point, given every single game has stolen it at this point.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM
STATACTATON

For me, it's also true that I play far less current-to-recent console generation titles than older ones. So when I play something like the Batman series, it feels super new to me, even if it's got lots of mechanics that are old hat for people who've played lots of other games of the same era.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
There's also the fact that the combat may very well feel tedious by this point, given every single game has stolen it at this point.
The detective view has also been copied here and there, and back then when not every other game was Open World or Dark Souls Clone, its level design was considered novel. Oh, and it had 3D back when 3D TVs were not a thing yet.

In other words, you had to be there.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM

I was having a complete blast playing Symphony of the Night, like "Wow I'm so glad I've finally played this game" and then I beat Richter for the bad ending, then got the inverted castle and now my desire to play further has dropped out and I wonder if I can consider that beating it.

I wanna face Dracula and do the real final boss but I'm finding the upside down castle pretty tedious with having to fly a lot of places...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 AM
STATACTATON

The highest quality parts of SOTN are arguably in its front half, so I think you could safely put it down at that point. Enjoying the inverted castle hinges on your enjoyment of seeing the new enemies/bosses they put in there, and maybe farming for rare loot. Since the metrovania elements kinda go away in favor of just an open exploration.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM

If you haven't beaten the whole thing, you haven't beaten it. Get back in there, slugger!

(SotN is in my top 5 games of all time, so never mind me.)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Maybe I'll just stop being a completionist about getting above %196 for the best ending and just watch that on youtube

Maybe it was because I had gone everywhere except the silver ring before I faced Richter and so was overleveled but it was a stupid easy fight
Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM
The Great

452.7% or bust.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

The backhalf of the game is clearly the weaker section, but to call any part of SOTN worse, even if factual, is way more negativity than I feel comfortable lobbing at the game. Call the content of the Inverted Castle the Least Best.

If you're in a rush to see the Good Ending, the bosses you need to fight are in the same rooms where you fought Karasuman, The Hippogriff, Doppelgänger, Cerberus and Orlox. Every other boss is optional.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

The bosses are the only good part of the Inverted Castle. It's everything else about it that's bad.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Little Waves

I like that it has quite a few areas where regular enemies pose a threat for once (assuming you don't farm up a Crissaegrim).
Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 AM
STATACTATON

I also enjoy the traps and enemy placement in the inverted Marble Gallery, where it can be pretty easy to die if you're not being careful. It's almost an "oh yeah, this is Castlevania again" moment.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Video World 14 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I LttPed Arkham Aslyum this week. After hearing so much sugar about it over the years I was surprised but how underwhelming it was. Just about every aspect of it came up short. Gameplay was tedious, graphical design obnoxious, story and writing stupid. The best part was the atmosphere, and that was undercut by all the other stuff. The ending was especially limp, and left an aftertaste of "what was the point?"

To fight a Todd McFarlane clown I guess.
Arkham Asylum is a great game that was progressively bettered by each subsequent game in the series (no need to disagree - I know I'm alone on this one). Asylum to City was such a joke that I have been completely unable to go back to the restrictive, linear Asylum since I played it. I just miss swoopin' around.

I understand not liking Asylum though. It's very stiff. I liked it a lot though.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Bertolli?!?...

My only experience with the entire Arkham franchise was renting the first game for a weekend back when it was new, and I recall really digging the heady thrill of, as Dracula said up-thread, feeling like Batman for the first time. No idea if that feeling would have been enough to carry an entire game/series for me, though.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Going directly from Asylum to City is jarring. It's a Mega Man/Mega Man 2 kind of progression.

Time has dulled the wound of the stupid, stupid plot as well, I was happy to learn.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM
It's all good, man

I still think the original is the best but I also haven't played it in eight years.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 PM

The character designs throughout the series are hideous, but GOOD GOD were they ugly in that first game! But anyway, I liked Arkham Knight (the only one I played to completion), and look forward to what comes next.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Cool Bunny

I was reading the GB TMNT LP and there's a link in it to this great interview about Steel Empire which made the setting sound really interesting, so I looked the game up and found out there's a 3DS port. Unfortunately it's not available in my country, but I dug out my US 2DS and picked it up (I also found out that I can now use my Australian credit card to buy stuff on the US eshop, which is convenient). About an hour later I had beaten it on normal without continuing. It's pretty fun, though fairly easy (there are higher difficulties though).

It's set in 18XX and you control either a small plane or a small Zeppelin to take on a range of steampunkish enemy airships. The plane is faster and has a smaller hotbox, but the blimp gets more HP and I used it for most of the game. The stages take you through a mine, over the ocean, into a city, up a cliff into a hidden base and then you get fired out of a cannon to the moon. In a Zeppelin. The minimal story and scenery are pretty good. Apparently it makes use of the 3D pretty well, but I was using a 2DS so I can't say for myself. Lots of parallax and things seeming to come in and out of the background. It's got two fire buttons: one forwards and one backwards (only one can be fired at a time), which I think opens up the enemy patterns a bit (I'm not much of a SHMUP player though, maybe this is more common than I think), plus a bomb that I probably dropped accidentally more often than intentionally (buttons are configurable, though).

I had a look on TT to see if anyone had had much to say about it, most of the mentions related to it costing 30 or 40 dollars for a 25 year old genesis game. It now costs ten dollars, and I got my money's worth from it. If I come across a mega drive copy I'll probably pick it up too.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Come, noble knights!

When the competition in the 2D SHMUP department ranges from $5 to $20 and Sega's selling 3D-ized Genesis and arcade titles for $6, it can be hard to justify paying $30 to $40 for a remake of a Genesis era SHMUP that'll be over in like an hour, give or take.

That said, I may give it a look now that it's dropped in price.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Shantae: Pirates Curse is still super good.

Like, super duper good.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Finished Bioshock 2 recently but then remembered I didn't do Minerva's Den. So I went back and rushed through it. It was pretty good!

I'm not sure what more they could do with the Rapture space but I love these individual stories. I wouldn't mind Bioshock getting the Telltale treatment.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:11 AM
Mystery Contraption

Finished Dragonball Fusions, which was a surprisingly solid RPG with a novel combat system and unexpectedly good visuals. Difficulty was pretty low for the most part however, owing largely to how absurdly overpowered you could make characters by fusion. The actual end-game battles threw in some extra wrinkles that reinvigorated things however, so that was nice.

The final boss is also suitably absurd for this franchise.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 AM
STATACTATON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
About an hour later I had beaten it on normal without continuing. It's pretty fun, though fairly easy (there are higher difficulties though).

I had a look on TT to see if anyone had had much to say about it, most of the mentions related to it costing 30 or 40 dollars for a 25 year old genesis game. It now costs ten dollars, and I got my money's worth from it. If I come across a mega drive copy I'll probably pick it up too.
The 30-dollar price tag was honestly what kept me away from that game, but I'm glad to hear both that it was good and that the price has fallen. I own the Genesis title (I think I provided the link you mentioned) and I love it - and I had a similar experience, completing the game on normal difficulty on my first go-round. I might have continued once. Good stuff.

I really enjoy the between-stage newsreel footage of your aircraft taking off, and the little briefings you get before the level starts. It helps sell the world the designers were trying to create.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

The final boss in Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap is a big ol' weeny if you fight him as a Lion and with the Muramasa. You can take out most of its life bar with every hit.

That being said; it was a very impressive example of Metroidvania for its vintage, and the remaster looks so good. Just sooooooo good.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Cool Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I really enjoy the between-stage newsreel footage of your aircraft taking off, and the little briefings you get before the level starts. It helps sell the world the designers were trying to create.
It's got a lot of nice little touches. I like the scrolling musical score on the title screen, and the end of stage cutscene after the airship gets blown up. The last stage is kind of absurd, but I love the explanation given in the interview, that the game is based on a fictional old sci fi novel and so the world follows the rules as they were understood in the 19th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The final boss in Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap is a big ol' weeny if you fight him as a Lion and with the Muramasa. You can take out most of its life bar with every hit.

That being said; it was a very impressive example of Metroidvania for its vintage, and the remaster looks so good. Just sooooooo good.
This has me even more interested in playing this game. In the original you could only fight the final boss as the hawk, and it was a challenge. Well, there was a way to get there as other characters, but not something you'd encounter in normal gameplay. Looking forward to its release on a platform I have and my getting way deep into it.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 PM
This Guy

I'd like to know how he got there as Lion-o, because I did as the bird and it took me two tries and really soured me on the that whole last level. Still, I had a lot of fun with the game; its really great.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

If you equip the Tasmanian Sword (which I think is hidden in a secret shop in the caves), you can change your form whenever you want.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon it and didn't realize that was what gave me that power until the final dungeon.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner