The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Especially Angry

Default Beating Games

Well folks, I just finished the story in Super Paper Mario. I have more collecting to do, etc, but I thought we could use a thread to celebrate these victories that help to justify our expensive hobby. I can't remember the last time I beat a game.

So yeah, it took me some twenty hours, but I "finished" Super Paper Mario.

Go me.

EDIT: I love Post-Game stuff.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Getting Equipped

Last Friday I beat Black and Kirby Squeak Sqaud. Yesterday I beat Feel the Magic.

The backlog barely felt it, but I will continue forward.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
A No.1

My backlog's getting trimmed a tiny bit. I beat God of war 2 a couple weeks ago, and then, FINALLY, I beat Earthbound. Now I'm just killing time until Persona 3 comes out, a game I want to beat, but I'm fully aware of the time sink involved, and with the gaming release schedule being what it is for the rest of the year, I worry about finishing this one any time soon.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Especially Angry

Congratulations Swordian and CalorieMans for your completions. Now I think I'll move on to the copy of Twilight Princess I've been sitting on.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Wretched Fellow

I'm doing a little better at completing games lately. Probably has something to do with not having very much disposable income at the moment. Anyway, I've recently beat Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ys Ark of Napishtim, Wild ARMs 4, GTA: Vice City Stories, and FF3.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Your life is forfeit

New rule! All games can be no longer than 12 hours. Except RPGs, those can be up to 40.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
New rule! All games can be no longer than 12 hours. Except RPGs, those can be up to 40.
Hear, hear!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Better call Sqeenix; I don't think they got your memo.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
gatchapon 3*

bah. games aren't meant to be beaten. they're meant to be lovingly displayed on a crooked stack next to your dusty, underused sytems.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Will this rule lower the price? I'd be willing to purchase more games if so.
Someone tell Nintendo.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Hawkguy

I beat Bookworm and Bejeweled.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Remembers Love

I recently burned my way through a string of indie games, the most recent being Within a Deep Forest (recommended), and I beat another difficulty level on Elite Beat Agents.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Space Prez

My future lies with arcade games. Beating your personal best is where it's at.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Does that have to include cinematics? MGS1 and 2 fell under that rule but were just unsatisfying while MGS3 went to 25 and finally gave me enough to be content.

I've beaten a bunch as of late, but I've kinda sucked with sticking to an RPG and beating it. The only ones I beat this year are Lunar Knights and Pokemon, and while I beat it I don't feel /finished/ with Pokemon. Guess I'm sick of the way the genre's been as of late, but I'd at least like to get through the FF and MegaTen titles.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
(should be working)

FF12 two weeks ago. Seventy hours spread out over seven months. I had only a vague idea of what was going on in the plot. I have recently started Twilight Princess. I anticipate similar results.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
For blood and gold

I just finished up my nostalgia run of Wing Commander 1 and Secret Missions 1 and 2 and Wing Commander 2 and Special Operations 1 and 2.

I may finally finish up Pokemon (or save that for visiting my sister next weekend) or start up some other game.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Fear the Dragon of Dojima

The most recent games to be completed by me are CoD 2, Condemned, God of War II, Sam and Max: Hit the Road and Maniac Mansion. I have played a ton of games in between, but haven't finished most as I tend to get bored fairly quickly of late. I am at a point in Growlanser II that I don't think I will get past as I am getting my ass kick and infuriated in the process because of the cheapness of it. It makes you go through two very difficult battles in a row with no rest or saving in between them and I keep getting near the end of the second and then dying.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
A No.1

So I tried to go back to DMC3, seeing as how the last time I'd left it, I was on Chapter 18 (out of 20, I believe). I didn't give up because it was hard, but simply because something better came along before I had a chance to finish it. Now, however, I'm convinced I'll never finish it. Jumping into the harder end parts of a hard game you haven't touched in a year and a half is not good for your health.

Hell, I was making some progress, then hit the standard Capcom "You're almost done, so fight every boss again!" part. After spending over an hour to relearn how to beat one of the easier ones, I've decided to permanently call it quits on this game.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Loves to overthink.

If you don't have the SE version, might not be a bad idea to just pick that up and restart. I wanted to play through the game with the American difficulty but the Japanese save system, but for some reason they only want Normal to be immediately available. Ah well, the last few bosses were hard as hell anyway and I just barely beat them.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
A No.1

Yeah, I have the SE version. I, too, wanted the American difficulty, and planned ot burn through the game, unlock it, and go through again...this is why I reached Chapter 18 in a week, then was side tracked (I forget by what, now). Ah, well. There's always DMC4, I guess.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Sung Tongs

In the past month-ish, I beat Contact and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I tried and tried and tried to beat Elite Beat Agents, but the last level (well, the second part of the last level) is just impossible.

I'm about to beat Resident Evil 4 for probably the 6th time...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Soul searching

I just finished Perfect Dark Zero, Castlevania SotN and Lost Planet. I'm about to finish Ninja Gaiden Black (I'm in mission 14). Also, I have no job, so go figure.

Well, I do have some freelance jobs, but have a lot of free time.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:01 PM

I'm slowly working towards beating Phoenix Wright 2 (certainly weaker than the first one) and I might pick Twilight Princess back up as I'm pretty much at the end of that. I'm also working towards beating The City Beneath - I think I'm halfway on that one but I can't be sure.

So, recently? I guess I hit level 70 in WoW which in my book counts as beating it; I beat 5 of the Sam and Max episodes, working on Bright Side of the Moon, and I've beaten Rocket Slime.

(I accidentally skipped a puzzle in Reality 2.0: you have to customise your virtual car at one point to a particular colour combination, and I just slapped some colours on there randomly that so happened to be the combination I needed.)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Especially Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I'm also working towards beating The City Beneath - I think I'm halfway on that one but I can't be sure.
Do you recommend the DROD games? Their site is clean and organized.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Literalist

Most recently, Avatar: The Last Airbender on PSP. I was reviewing it, so it wasn't exactly voluntary. Long story short: it's not good.

I'm finally digging into my backlog, and should have FFXII beaten within the next week or two. I'll be happy to beat it, but, damn it, I love that game! I'll probably keep playing it long after I beat the main quest.

I really need to finish Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'm six dungeons in, and I've heard that those last few dungeons are kind of short.

Once I finish Zelda, I'll finally feel right about moving onto Okami -- it is basically a really pretty Zelda game, after all.

I need to do all that before mid-August. That's when the game flood starts, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to drown.

(Games in my lungs. Weird mental image.)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I'm allergic to beating games.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

I went on a game-beating streak recently, finishing off Fallout, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, FFXII, Super Paper Mario, and Phoenix Wright 2. I was currently playing through Zelda II on the VC (never beat it), Rainbow Six: Vegas, and RE4 (somehow missed it on the GC) when I got trapped again by stupid WoW. Now I game a lot but seem to accomplish very little.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Literalist

Leave WOW beind! The freedom will make you a better person!

*Returns to reading about the latest-and-greatest MMOs*
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrambledGregs View Post
I tried and tried and tried to beat Elite Beat Agents, but the last level (well, the second part of the last level) is just impossible.
I feel your pain on that one. That one defies you to make any mistakes. If you do, only way you can recover is if you score lots and lots of 300s. Ironically, I find the third sequence is actually easier on 'Hard Rock'; Since the circles aren't on screen as long, you aren't bombarded by a whole slew of them and risk tippity-tapping the wrong one.

That is if you get that far into the level. I've only managed to do so a few times and I still ultimately always blow it.

But beating games? Uh, no, not really no.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Soul searching

Done. I've beaten Ninja Gaiden Black!

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner