The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-09-2008, 03:53 AM
There's no thread shortag

Default Like what you're playing?

This is the anti-griping thread.

In contrast to that thread, in here, when you like something in particular about the game you're playing right now, tell us.

Negativity is not the answer! Yeah...

Mega Man IV
So far I really liked the music in the Bright Man and Skull Man stages and the boss fights with Ring Man and Skull Man. Ring Man, because he has got such a clear pattern you know you can somehow learn if you put effort in it, and Skull Man, because he felt like a MM2 or MM3 robot master, where I only need to dodge enough of his attacks and get enough shots with the Ring Boomerang in to win.

Last edited by DANoWAR; 08-09-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Preventing "I liek game!"
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Ecclesiastic Ecdysiast

Persona 3: FES: Yeah, someone is bound to mention it, but it's all I'm playing right now anyway. Besides all the game's other high points, I love the characters. Not many games make me smile with dialogue alone. Of course the excellent voice acting only helps, like when Iori says "'sup, dude?" when you return to the dorm. It really does make you feel like you just got home. If for no other reason, I will buy Persona 4 for a whole new cast of memorable characters.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Final Fantasy IV: Except for the loss of the extra dungeons, this is pretty much everything I wanted in a remake of FFIV. It's largely identical, but enough things have been changed that it feels new.

Soul Calibur IV: I have to applaud any game that can finally let me see Carman Sandiego fight Captain Planet.

Assassins Creed: It feels like Prince of Persia. Prince of Perisa with more violence and innumerable collectables, but Prince of Persia nonetheless.

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors: It's a rail shooter with DQ characters. There's not really a whole lot to dislike there.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 AM
Goodbye!

The World Ends With You: I'm not far in, but I'm beginning to unlock all the sundry systems of the game, and I'm starting to get the hang of the combat. I don't feel like I'll ever be good at it, but I can get the fusion attack off most of the time now while dodging randomly with Neku.

Half-Life 2 + episodes: a great string of action set pieces, with characters that really do seem to exist around you.

Etrian Odyssey 2 (On Hold): You know this. I just need a break for a while. As soon as I have some spare time again, I will me mapping my face off.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:08 AM
It's all good, man

Morrowind's real good.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
...we're shy.

Digital Devil Saga: I stopped playing Nocturne, and picked this up. While I have every intention of returning to Nocturne, so far I haven't looked back.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Geometry Wars 2: Unlike Pac-Man CE, all six modes are fantastic. I'll never beat Mr. Nuts' Pacifism score, though I'm having an absolute blast trying.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Morrowind's real good.
What in particular do you like about it? I remember people talking about the desolate landscape, the few people and that no one has really much to say (except important NPCs).

EDIT: I modified the original post to try and prevent posts just saying "I like this game I am playing." (No offense ;-) )
Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 AM
It's all good, man

I know, I was just being a jerk.

I really like the philosophy of letting you go anywhere you want, and you can be guaranteed there will be something interesting happening there. It's not as dynamic as Oblivion, but probably deeper.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 AM

You know, our avatars should combine. We just need a few others and then we can create Super Feminine!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Cure Space Marine

Izuna 2 By far the most personality of any of the many Roguelikes I've played.

Final Fantasy XII: It made me finally forgive Square for betraying Nintendo. ;)
Old 08-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Space Prez

Dragon Warrior VII: the "worst" DQ game is still the best RPG I've played all year. I may even finish it this time!

SoulCalibur: I feel like an asshole for never touching this series before. I picked Ready 2 Rumble over this!?!?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:06 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Like what you're playing?
I should hope so!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Curious Young Gent

Wow, so, to avoid having a "whatcha been playing?" thread we have two themed versions. Speshul.

Final Fantasy IX - Anyone who doesn't make Quina and Viva get married is a video game criminal.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Soul Bubbles is simply wonderful. It's a joy to play, and while it's not exactly difficult, it's also not without its challenges.

Etrian Odyssey 2 is just as compelling as the first one. Alas, my schedule means I can't afford to steamroller through it, so I have to take it in short blocks.

Lego Indiana Jones is the sorbet of the video game world. Simple and straightforward, it cleanses the taste buds after more complex offerings.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Bald Gendou

Final Fantasy IV DS - Loving it. Just started to understand the Augment System and now may have to use a guide so I don't screw everything up. Kinda lame. Dreading the magnet cave.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:09 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Braid - A puzzle game I like (that's not Tetris)? This is one for the record books.

Soul Calibur IV - As much as I hate what they've done to my favorite characters, it's still Soul Calibur and it's still (mostly) fun.

Rock Band - Everything about it. I played for two hours or so last night. It's still just as fun now as it was when I got it.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I really like the philosophy of letting you go anywhere you want, and you can be guaranteed there will be something interesting happening there. It's not as dynamic as Oblivion, but probably deeper.
Even though I love Oblivion, there are some things I prefer in Morrowind, mainly involving the amount of freedom you have. Also, I actually like that there isn't a fast travel option, since it makes exploration feel more natural. My main problem with the fast travel in Oblivion wasn't that it existed, but that you had access to every major city from the beginning: I think it would have been cooler if you had to find your way there on your own. Also, I love that the item drops aren't based on your level; getting a full set of Daedric armor is an accomplishment (since there's only one full set in the entire game, scattered throughout the world.)

I remember hearing recently that someone created an Oblivion mod that lets you import all of the Morrowind files, allowing you to play Morrowind with all of Oblivion's features/graphics/etc. It sounded really amazing.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Panicking

Shadow of the Colossus: Oh man, you guys, this game. This game. This time through I'm appreciating the music a bit more than I have previously. I mean, I always liked it, but I find myself intentionally prolonging the fights to listen to stuff longer.

FFT:WOTL: Finally picked this up after EBStop cut the price down to $20. I got dealt some fairly mediocre generics this time, but I'm sure they'll pull through, crappy Faith and all. Also: the new cutscenes are very nice and I want to keep going just to see more of them.

Pokemans(various): I just caught a Pikachu in Fire Red, all's right with the world.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
gatchapon 3*

ticket to ride, any time i want, with people who want to play? FUCK YEAH.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Conquers the World

Final Fantasy IV: Awesome! I'm hoping after I'm done with the Giant of Babel that I'll be strong enough to withstand more than one of Leviathan's tidal waves.

Grand Theft Auto IV: I never thought the GTA franchise would produce one of the most lifelike games I've ever played. Driving takes some getting used to, though.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

Soul Calibur IV It's less clunky than III, and that's a good thing. But I especially love the character creation system. I made Kat, the goth ninja girl, and she's more awesome than any of the standard characters. Just watching the ending of story mode with her was great. Also, the SC games always have great end credits music.

Final Fantasy IV The first time I walked into Troia and heard the reworked version of the theme. Freaking beautiful.

copypasta'd for maximum laziness
Old 08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Spear of Justice

Pokemon Diamond: All that grinding I did for the Pokemon League really paid off in the post-game. There's just so much more for me to do now with the Sinnoh region completely opened up; I am continually impressed with the longevity of this game.

I've caught nearly all of the non-event Legendaries. GIRATINA, you're next!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Find Your Reason

Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL: I'm mixing and matching Jobs that have very little do with each other, and now my party is extremely balanced despite the game's efforts. Master Black Mage with high HP/MP and who can Rend the enemy's stats? White Mage who is also a master Thief? Time Mage who can refresh herself with Chakra (or, conversely, Monk who can Haste herself and Immobilize foes so the White Mage steals their stuff)? I've spent far more time in the Party Roster screen than actually battling, and I love it.

Final Fantasy VI Advance: The Dragon's Den is pure gravy for experienced FF6 players. I love how the Dragon battles require actual strategy other than "buff yourself and whale on the enemy."

Super Mario Galaxy: It's just so... pretty... *_*

Final Fantasy XII: I can find good things to say about the kids (Vaan and Penelo) tagging along on the real heroes' adventure. If I can do that, I probably would never run out of praise for this game.

Smash Bros. Brawl: Moments like this:

Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
23 ski-dook

Okami - I just love how much stuff there is to do! Also, when the 2nd region was opened up, I was blown away because I thought, "Well, that was a pretty easy final boss and a 12 hour game, I guess it's time to- HOLY SHIT THERE'S MORE."
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Super Smash Bros Brawl It's sort of a nightly staple for me. I have a hated rival who uses the handle DLV. We fight with violence most cruel.

Contact I took a little break from it, but I still love it.

Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA) I beat it by warping to world 8 before I even finished world one. My current goal in the game is to go through every single level without getting a single game over. I'm at world five now, and I can happily say that this game richly deserves it's vaunted reputation.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Savage 2 - Picked it up during the $9.99 weekend and it turns out it is really good. Sort of an awesome mix between TF2 and Warcraft.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM

Metal Storm for the NES.

This game is PURE GENIUS.

If you don't know it, it's an action platforming game. You're piloting a mech (just an excuse for a guy in a robot suit) and can control gravity! Like Prey, but without indian stereotypes. The game's stages are completely built around the gravity feature. One boss is constantly coming towards you, so you have to run in circles (including the ceiling) to evade him.

WARNING: This game may not be the prettiest there is.

EDIT: Oh, and it gets HARD.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I loved Metal Storm as a kid, but could never stand the godawful sound effects and music.

Also: I am liking the Vesperia demo, despite the boss battle being obviously rigged in the boss' favor. I think I killed one of the minions before the boss and the other minion steamrolled me. The skill system looks more refined, and they've done some work on combat Artes too.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
WARNING: This game may not be the prettiest there is.
Yeah but... it is.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity