The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Okay, ran into a REALLY FRICKIN' WEIRD glitch in Cosmic Star Heroine.

Loaded up a saved file and, instead of the forest I was last played the game in, I was in a city. Confronted with monsters well above my current level and some of the dialogue included a character I hadn't seen before.

So... luckily I wasn't too far along so I can restart the game, no biggy, but still, the hell?
Octo, I need to inform you that you are so good at Cosmic Star Heroine that you accidentally began speedrunning it.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

Sleep-speedrunning.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I appreciate Blur more now that I've played Wipeout HD. Blur at least has a meaningful easy difficulty setting. Wipeout HD grinds you into paste no matter how you play it. It's especially aggravating because there are tracks from Wipeout Pure in here. They look gorgeous on the Playstation 3 but you can forget about actually enjoying them because the difficulty level borders on murderous.
I would recommend playing on the lowest speed class (if you're doing free races instead of the campaign) and using Feisar craft, and focus on doing the cleanest possible laps you can. A lot of speed can be wiped out by a few hits on the walls, so racing clean can be much more meaningful than a higher top speed.

I love the high skill ceiling in Wipeout, but it would be nice if they were more helpful to beginners. I've definitely had to give this advice to many, many people.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
A lot of speed can be wiped out by a few hits on the walls, so racing clean can be much more meaningful than a higher top speed.
This is why I generally prefer the newer Mario Karts (or in some cases sandbox games) over actual racing games. The AI in these games tends to be stacked against you, and from my experience with these games the AI's gonna get ahead whether you brake around a corner or crash into a wall 'cuz it doesn't seem to obey the same laws of turning as you do.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Lucky In Love

The tightest craft in Wipeout handle similarly to the loosest, fastest ones in F-Zero, so it's not really comparable to a lot of other cart racers. I will say that I never feel like the computer is cheating in Wipeout in terms of how they handle turns. Since they game has standard turns + directional airbrakes and you can use either of them alone or in combination, you can do some amazing stuff.

There are a few moments where the AI can pull of boosts off of some very shallow jumps, but to balance it out a lot of tracks have some jumps that the AI doesn't seem to able to do (i.e. pulling from the outside to the inside of a steeply banked hairpin just so.) This only comes into play on the higher speed classes though.

Anyway, now I want to play more Wipeout.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
This is why I generally prefer the newer Mario Karts (or in some cases sandbox games) over actual racing games. The AI in these games tends to be stacked against you, and from my experience with these games the AI's gonna get ahead whether you brake around a corner or crash into a wall 'cuz it doesn't seem to obey the same laws of turning as you do.
Mario Kart's rubber band ass AI is horrendous. You tellin' me they fixed it after Double Dash? (Also, being good grants you the weakest weapons, so...clearly being bad is the way to go?)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 PM

I loved DQ7 on 3DS when it was the JP version, but not as much in English. I realize how important the streetpass stuff was for making it fun, since you could run dozens of quick dungeons on the train.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Mario Kart's rubber band ass AI is horrendous. You tellin' me they fixed it after Double Dash? (Also, being good grants you the weakest weapons, so...clearly being bad is the way to go?)
The single player campaigns of Mario Karts 7 and 8 are generally easier and much more beatable by human players than past Mario Karts, even on 150cc.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 AM
I like tribbles

The stupid guardian puzzle in Twilight Princess is PISSING ME OFF. I never remember how to do it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
The stupid guardian puzzle in Twilight Princess is PISSING ME OFF. I never remember how to do it.

I look it up any time I replay. Not worth the frustration.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 AM
I like tribbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I look it up any time I replay. Not worth the frustration.
I just like to try solving puzzles on my own. I'll have to look it up later tonight.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Back in your Head

Quote:
I remember butting against that a bit when I played it last year. I think I just persisted at it until it magically worked out.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 AM
#deadfish2017

Which one is this?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 AM
I like tribbles

The one when you try to get the Master Sword.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 AM

Currently replaying the original Kingdom Hearts and I'd forgotten how fucked up the camera controls can be.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Is it me or are Wilys Castles really all bad? I just played through MM 4 and up to the real castle in MM 5. 4 contained some obnoxious stuff, especially Wilys last form, the one where everything is dark and you only see him a short time. I needed gamefaqs to tell me what to do, wasn't interested in experimenting while dying. Also, why don't I respawn outside of the boss chamber? If I die to one of these jerks I don't want to replay half the level.

5 has really easy robot masters, except for the jerks who just run into you. Main offender here is the guy in the first Protoman castle level, who wouldn't even give me a decent time to shoot him. I gave up (read: made a savegame for later, it's the Legacy collection) on the first boss in the real castle now, who has these two platforms with spikes on the side, who he would need to shoot one after another, so that I even got a chance to shoot the head, but he always only shoots one platform at me. I guess the super arrow thing could help here, but I tried that and failed. I have no problem with dying in the regular levels if I died against a robot master, but the castle levels and bosses are both too anoying for me.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Howling forever oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
I gave up (read: made a savegame for later, it's the Legacy collection) on the first boss in the real castle now, who has these two platforms with spikes on the side, who he would need to shoot one after another, so that I even got a chance to shoot the head, but he always only shoots one platform at me.
Shoot the bottom platform so he fires it. Shoot the second platform to make him fire it. You can jump on it and then jump and hit the head. Crystal Eye demolishes him.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM

I am SO fucking motion sick after trying to play the Sonic Lost World 3DS special stage. The game was already making me a little queasy, but having to move the 3DS in huge sweeping motions all around my room made it much worse.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
Is it me or are Wilys Castles really all bad? I just played through MM 4 and up to the real castle in MM 5. 4 contained some obnoxious stuff, especially Wilys last form, the one where everything is dark and you only see him a short time. I needed gamefaqs to tell me what to do, wasn't interested in experimenting while dying. Also, why don't I respawn outside of the boss chamber? If I die to one of these jerks I don't want to replay half the level.
Naw. For me, except for Powered Up and some of the X games, a MM game has ended when I beat the Boss Master stages.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is one hell of an impressive shit show. It has exactly four enemies: Stationary Turret, Slow Guy With All The Health, Flying Asshole, and Guy You Just Slide Through. My favorite thing in the world is getting into a room and seeing three Slow Guys With All The Health and immediately knowing it's a dead end with a HP / MP / Heart Max Up at the end. Every. Single. God. Damn. Time.

The game also has three room types: Hallway, Vertical Hallway, and Vertical Hallway With A Power Up Somewhere In A Corner.

Not to mention, the only ability that actually feels like an upgrade that I've gotten so far is double jumping. I have earned the ability to move faster than a crawl, the ability to break rocks, the ability to do a really shitty wall jump, and the ability to push boxes. I got them in that order, too.

Like, holy fuck. This might be the worst Castlevania game, and I'm not even complaining about the dumbass randomly-dropped card dealio, because I'm abusing that card swap glitch to use ones I don't have anyway. Hell, the only DSS combos worth using are Ice Whip, Strength Up, Luck Up, Move At A Decent Pace, Mutual Invincibility, MP Instead of Hearts for SubWeapons, and EXP Up anyway. Which sounds like a lot of combos, but this is out of one hundred possible combos.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Shoot the bottom platform so he fires it. Shoot the second platform to make him fire it. You can jump on it and then jump and hit the head. Crystal Eye demolishes him.
Thanks, with that knowledge he was pretty easy. I guess I was already tired after playing for some time, the other one or two times I beat MM5 I realized how that guy works on my own.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
Answers come in dreams

Arrrg.. It really bugs me that you can't save anywhere in Persona 5.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Gesundheit!

I like the Wily castles mostly for the aesthetic appeal — not so much the levels themselves (which are pretty drab), but more the cool map screen and giant bosses. I'll never understand why the X games didn't do a map for the Sigma levels, there's just no sense of place or progression without them.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
Arrrg.. It really bugs me that you can't save anywhere in Persona 5.
...The only places you can't save are the dungeons, no? And even then there are safe rooms where you can save. The game is certainly a lot more flexible about saving than the prior two games.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
I just like to try solving puzzles on my own. I'll have to look it up later tonight.
I did it once on my own the first time I ever played the game, and on all attempts since, I just look up the answer. I feel like I've already proven I can actually do it, so there's no sense beating my head against the wall on it again.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Out Of Warranty

Default Gripe about what you're playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
...The only places you can't save are the dungeons, no? And even then there are safe rooms where you can save. The game is certainly a lot more flexible about saving than the prior two games.

I was surprised to find out you could save in the subway! A way to save anywhere, even if only in a suspend file, would be appreciated, but it ia more generous regarding saving than your standard JRPG.

No, P5's real sin is that I can't name the main character "Hiro Protagonist".
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
Are You Sure About That?

You can just suspend the PS4?
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
This only works until you want to play another game (or if you don't have a power failure or your wife accidentally shuts the PS4 off).

Heck, it only works if you have a PS4. PS3 players are screwed.
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Yep! As long as the console's in rest mode, it'll keep track of your suspended data. I generally use it if I'm about to head out for a grocery run or I start to feel drowsy while playing a game I can't just save anywhere.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Speaking of Persona 5, I've finally burned out because SMT games are universally too damn long. This happens with every SMT I play not named "Soul Hackers." Oh well, I'll come back and finish it in a few months.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games