The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Evocative

Persona 3: FES: It isn't portable, so I can't bring it to the beach with me. I don't even particularly want to go the beach for a week, as it means I miss seeing some friends at home. Plus one of my friends from Ireland is near home now, and I might miss seeing her. Damn overrated beach. At least I have a DS and books to keep me company.

Seriously though, I love this game. I'm one day away from another full moon, and I'm told interesting things happen during this one. Trying to figure out if I'm over leveled or not - I certainly got to the top of the fifth block a month-and-a-half before Elizabeth's deadline. Maybe I'm just good. One more level-up and I can fuse Uriel, the angel from Paradise Lost. I do wish they'd put in some Arthurian Personas though... maybe later on?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
There's no thread shortag

All of them NES games:

The Lone Ranger - God I wanted to like this game, it is really solid, the graphics are okay, the music is good...but when I had, for the third time then, to navigate a maze in first-person perspective with the controller while simultaneously shooting at countless hordes of gunmen with the Zapper (mouse) I gave up on it. Also, in retrospective, this was an oh so very average game. You can only do so much with constant brown backgrounds.

Magician - Trying this out at the moment. God, those controls are awfully unintuitive. Why do I have to push SELECT to change position in the sub-menu? Why do I enter the menu with SELECT and leave it with START? Why do people ignore me when I talk to them so that I have to wait for a minute before they come back so that I can try again? Why am I only able to talk to the same person once? Why do I have to press UP to talk to someone? Why does he have to face me? WHY?!
Still, I will try this game a little more...I must be a masochist.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Hoo?

The World Ends With You: That...that was a huge mindfuck of an ending. What the hell?

Goemon 2 (SFC): This is a game you play with a friend, because you get auto-restart. Otherwise, it's a lot harder then it should be >_<
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The Lone Ranger - God I wanted to like this game, it is really solid, the graphics are okay, the music is good...but when I had, for the third time then, to navigate a maze in first-person perspective with the controller while simultaneously shooting at countless hordes of gunmen with the Zapper (mouse) I gave up on it. Also, in retrospective, this was an oh so very average game. You can only do so much with constant brown backgrounds.
Yeah, those pseudo-FPS stages killed the game dead. Shame, too, as it's a neat Castlevania / Metal Gear mashup otherwise.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
worse than last time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
MP2's kinda screws with Metroid gameplay in that it isn't fully connected anywhere like the light world is and the constant damage was just obnoxious in that kind of game.
What bothered me most about it was that from a game design perspective, optimal play style ended up involving standing in one place for minutes on end. A game should never, ever encourage tedium like that.
Quote:
I tried to give the game another go but I'm afraid this may be a case where aesthetics actually kill a game for me. Then again maybe it was more all those little problems the game had adding up.
Another relevant criticism would be the stupendously frustrating bosses. Making you fight while in Morph Ball form was a clever idea, but the clumsiness of the control scheme in that situation made things hair-pullingly painful.

I enjoyed it enough to finish it, but only barely. If I didn't have the needless desire to finish 2 before playing 3, I may have given up on it.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
23 ski-dook

Megaman ZX - The stupid-ass map system is really making this game a thousand times more confusing than it should be and not being able to duck in mega-mode is really irritating.

Call of Duty 4 - I don't know why, but the shooting just feels a little awkward to me.

Rhythm Tengoku Gold - The visuals sometimes make the game harder than it should be, with the ping-pong minigame being a good example of this.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji-Fox View Post
Call of Duty 4 - I don't know why, but the shooting just feels a little awkward to me.
I don't know why either, since the shooting is really excellent in that game. Are you using the aim button effectively? Without that you'd find it quite imprecise.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Ecclesiastic Ecdysiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreCat View Post
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES: Whoops, enemy used a spell I'm weak against. Now I get to set down the controller and wait for the game to take five minutes deciding the coin flip of "Game Over, redo the last hour of gameplay" vs. "You get to take a turn!"
That's exactly why I shut it off last night. It was a mistake for me to split up on a floor I am perfectly capable of fighting in alone. Just one hit from the enemy, and it never stopped.

Shadow Hearts 3: Why, after introducing such an awesome battle system, must I be bombarded by insanity? Maybe some people like purposelessly following a clueless ninja from New York to Chicago while having a couple of (literally) gay vendors stalking you, but I just can't do it anymore. I know I'm going to recruit a giant cat soon, and I had enough of that in FFVII.

Lost Odyssey: The framerate. If it weren't for that one gripe, I might have kept playing this game. Some of the cutscenes blew me away.

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga: I traded it in so I could afford a birthday gift for my bro. Ironically, I bought him Lost Odyssey. Which he never beat. Nor did I. Damn it all...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I don't know why either, since the shooting is really excellent in that game. Are you using the aim button effectively? Without that you'd find it quite imprecise.
I found the shooting to be much better on the Sixaxis than on the 360 controller. There's something about how springy the 360 triggers are that makes it hell to rock and roll on a semiauto.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I'm using the aim button as effectively as I can; maybe I just need to crank up the aiming sensitivty.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post

Magician - Trying this out at the moment. God, those controls are awfully unintuitive. Why do I have to push SELECT to change position in the sub-menu? Why do I enter the menu with SELECT and leave it with START? Why do people ignore me when I talk to them so that I have to wait for a minute before they come back so that I can try again? Why am I only able to talk to the same person once? Why do I have to press UP to talk to someone? Why does he have to face me? WHY?!
Still, I will try this game a little more...I must be a masochist.
Okay, I give it up. I just unlocked a chest lying on the floor, opened it, couldn't take everything in it and decided to use a few of my items to free space. As I was done I saw that the chest was gone. With everything in it.
BAD GAME! Get lost!
Also, I have to use magic to kill people, BUT only certain magic works on certain people. WTF?! So you have to try the spells until the enemy flashes...Which involves navigating the inventory again and again. It's Mega Man without the fun!
Looking at the FAQ, the game consists of dead ends, obtuse puzzles and vanishing objects. Whoohoo!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Kerberos Panzer Corps

It seems we need a Magician Let's Play!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 PM

To see another one trying to force his way through this game, starting over multiple times?

I'm in if it's NOT me.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji-Fox View Post
Rhythm Tengoku Gold - The visuals sometimes make the game harder than it should be, with the ping-pong minigame being a good example of this.
you shouldn't be relying on your eyes anyway! TRUST YOUR EARS.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
you shouldn't be relying on your eyes anyway! TRUST YOUR EARS.
That's how I got past the ping-pong one
Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
To see another one trying to force his way through this game, starting over multiple times?
You're referring to me aren't you? I'm the one who gets the LPs full of obtuse puzzles and counter-intuitive design.

Well, I'm one step ahead of you, I owned* Magician, and know first hand that there is no way on Earth that I am ever, EVER going to play it again.

ON TOPIC TALKING!
Final Fantasy IV: Why did they change the Spoon to a knife? I liked being able to deliver a devestatingly powerful strike by throwing a spoon at someone.

Soul Calibur IV: Everyone in Ranked matches is much, much better then I am, so I don't think I'm ever going to get that "Win Consecutive Battles" achievement.

Assassins Creed: Everything that doesn't involve running around, all Prince of Persia style isn't nearly as good as the rest of the game. Also, holy moses, the collectibles are plentiful and largely uninteresting.

Final Fantasy: My Life as King: Umm... I've only played this for about 10 minutes so I can't really comment too much. I wish my Wii didn't throw so many artifacts on screen when I'm playing it?

Yeah, I don't have good complaints.

*I got it for about $1.50 at a pawn shop. I returned it and demanded my money back. In the end, I got Swords and Serpents for the NES, and was satisfied
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM

Swords and Serpents is gold to Magician's shit.

Anyway...

Mega Man IV
Yeah, I know, the funclub is over, but I didn't start the game until now. Sue me! So, what the fuck was up with Toad Man's stage? It's like they only put in those resilient enemies to justify the Mega Buster right at the beginning. "You didn't use our new shiny feature? FOOL!" And what was up with the stage music? That one really sucked.
Then, Bright Man. I really like the stage concept with light and darkness, but Bright Man himself is bad game design when he fucks you constantly with his flash stopper and jumps right into you. You literally can't win this fight without taking damage. WTF?!

Oh yeah, I really like this thread. It should be stickied FTW.
After all, this IS Gamespite.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Final Fantasy 2 - For forcing me to lodge weapons in my face, repeatedly!

Soul Calibur 4 - http://toastyfrog.com/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=5346 . What I said there.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
How ironic, I checked out Magician again a few weeks back. I never finished the game back on the NES, and trying it out in retrospect, I'll probably never finish it now, either. It's like the game was originally planned to be a PC title, but dumped onto the NES at the last moment. The game feels like it has the potential to be better, but the annoying controls and interface issues kill any possible fun that could be had. What a shame.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM
stream monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I found the shooting to be much better on the Sixaxis than on the 360 controller. There's something about how springy the 360 triggers are that makes it hell to rock and roll on a semiauto.
oh man complete opposite for me. I don't like the feel of the sticks when i need to sprint/knife on the ps3, I just feel like I have less grip/control. Also the triggers are more ergonomic than the PS3's shoulder buttons.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
who's she

I would do a Let's Play of Magician where I die by drinking too much at the tavern at the start of the game.

(This is an actual possibility in the game)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
We just don't know.

FFTA2. The Bazaar/items/abilities/jobs system. 'nuff said.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Inherently Stealthy

LostWinds - It was fun, but the controls were surprisingly picky. It would've worked so much better if they'd let me completely pause time while using wind abilities, rather than just slowing it down. It was good enough for Okami, dammit. That made using the wind abilities, particularly throwing rocks around, much harder than it should've been.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
A Love Supreme Dreaming

Odin Sphere: Ugh, fuck making potions!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Slammaster

MGS4 Replay for Foxhound Emblem: Fuck you, motorcycle chase. Fuck you in the ear.

Mega Man 2: I'm doing a full replay of the main series (1-8+Rockman & Forte) leading up to Mega Man 9. My only gripe is that after this, it's all downhill.

Apollo Justice: Fifteen characters have already said the kid couldn't have fired the revolver without dislocating his shoulder, and how, exactly, did he carry that big bastard up to that platform where the body was found? But Apollo is apparently just too fucking dense to mention any of this in court.

FFIVDS: Want to finish stupid Apollo Justice before getting into it. Fuck you, Apollo Justice.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I've already gotten the major gripes out of the way for the two games I'm playing in their respective threads, so I'll be a rebel and post things that I like about the games.

Soul Calibur IV It's less clunky than III, and that's a good thing. But I especially love the character creation system. I made Kat, the goth ninja girl, and she's more awesome than any of the standard characters. Just watching the ending of story mode with her was great. Also, the SC games always have great end credits music.

Final Fantasy IV The first time I walked into Troia and heard the reworked version of the theme. Freaking beautiful.

Mega Man VIII/Chrono Trigger I'm waiting to see whether MM8 is coming to Fun Club anytime soon before I decide which one to start up.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Final Fantasy IV DS: If you skip out on the Mythril equipment before returning the Earth crystal, thinking you could go and get them with a black chocobo once the airship becomes destination: Zot-only, then you THOUGHT WRONG.

In the original, you could land in the forest next to Silvara/Mythril, but in this version, you can't even fly over the forest for some stupid reason. So I had to beat Zot with suboptimal equipment.

Last edited by Eetzamii; 08-07-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: feeling "bold"
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post

Apollo Justice: Fifteen characters have already said the kid couldn't have fired the revolver without dislocating his shoulder, and how, exactly, did he carry that big bastard up to that platform where the body was found? But Apollo is apparently just too fucking dense to mention any of this in court...
That always seemed like it was part of the point of the games overarching plot to me, that the justice system in these games just picks a person and anyone else is pretty much invincible regardless of how illogical it is for the suspect to remain a suspect. Seemed that way to me anyway
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Persona 3: Most of the characters' in-battle speeches improve after gaining their new Personas, but NOT AIGIS. Her "I need your heeeelp!!" is like jamming an icepick into your ear.

Etrian Odyssey 2: I'd really like to be playing this, but can't fit it into my schedule. Why isn't this game warping the very fabric of space-time to accommodate my every unspoken wish? Lazy programmers.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Ghost of Starman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Mega Man 2: I'm doing a full replay of the main series (1-8+Rockman & Forte) leading up to Mega Man 9. My only gripe is that after this, it's all downhill.
You've obviously forgotten Mega Man 6, the best in the series. I think MM2 is pretty overrated and is only hailed because it improved so much upon the original while MM6 is overlooked for coming out so late in the NES' lifespan, despite fixing the major flaws of MM1-5.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games