The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Dino Crisis - How did anyone ever play this game without whining at how abysmal the controls are. Why haven't they made a Resi 4 style update of you and slapped the Jurassic Park label on it.
Answer to the first part: cuz we were playing Resident Evil already before it.

Too bad Dino Crisis 3 went off the rails strange and they pretty much scuttled the series. I loved DC2.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Loves to overthink.

I have possibly too many little gripes with games, but only one REALLY comes to mind right now to warrant a post here.

Final Fantasy IV DS - Too many invisible walls and quite a few come off as kind of lazy. Especially a shame since part of the appeal of the original and ultimately RPGs period was the ability to explore a world and those barriers hamper immersion. I suppose it's so people don't get lost behind walls or something, but it's jarring when I'm backtracking through the Tower of Babil then hit an invisible wall while crossing a bridge, and I'm in the middle rather than off to either side completely.

Last edited by Eusis; 08-06-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: A bit of tweaking.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Placeholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Hey Oblivion, thanks for having 5-minute load times at random a lot yet not giving a good enough reason for me to not use Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, which I'm pretty sure is why that is happening.
I need to upgrade to 1GB RAM soon.

Also, thanks NWN 2 for somehow running badder than Oblivion.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
You know, this would actually be legitimate reason to rip your savestate and keep playing on an R4 or something similar in my book, if that's even possible with review copy ROMs.
Yeah, that's something he should do. Rip a review copy of a Square Enix game. Jeebus, that's just begging to be fired!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Yeah, that's something he should do. Rip a review copy of a Square Enix game. Jeebus, that's just begging to be fired!
I'm not saying do it at WORK... or let anyone else know he did it. Or do it on a PC hooked up to the internet. Or fucking put it up on Mininova. Parish isn't an idiot - Larry Hama comics have doubtless trained him in the arts of ninja-esque secrecy.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM

Puzzle Quest: The more I play this game, the more I notice how poorly it's designed. Take armour. There's a hard limit to how much armour you can see - it's regenerated every day of game time, I think, and there's only so many towns. This means that finding a new strategy if the one you've got doesn't work so well for the enemies you're fighting is hellishly expensive in both time and money.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

I'm replaying Metroid Prime 3 for the first time since it was released and I keep getting annoyed. Basically, I realized that ANYTIME that the Space Pirates show up in the Prime series I find myself unhappy. The music that ALWAYS plays when they're around drives me crazy, they require too much shots, and so on.

The boss in the Bryyo meteor is annoying, too. It takes like ten minutes before he's even vulnerable to damage. Trying to aim at those four little spheres is tedious and annoying, and the worst part is after you break those open: you have to use the morph ball to bomb his feet. While doing this, if you get TOO close to his feet you take damage, and he keeps moving around. Worse, he keeps using the shockwave ability, and I never have enough time to turn back into regular Samus and jump over it. And even if you finish bombing his feet, you have to use the Phazon beam to shoot.... those stupid little targets again! Only THIS time it drains your health!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

You know that if you flick the Wiimote up in morph ball form, you'll jump. Right?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Puzzle Quest: The more I play this game, the more I notice how poorly it's designed. Take armour. There's a hard limit to how much armour you can see - it's regenerated every day of game time, I think, and there's only so many towns. This means that finding a new strategy if the one you've got doesn't work so well for the enemies you're fighting is hellishly expensive in both time and money.

the best stuff is to build your own or use quest items.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sampson View Post
You know that if you flick the Wiimote up in morph ball form, you'll jump. Right?
Funny thing is, I re-learned that earlier today by accident, but forgot it for this fight. Thanks, although all of my other gripes still bug me.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I am being eaten?

Alone in the Dark - Overall enjoyable, but the end is sad. Free roaming in Central Park to burn evil trees, with hardly any healing items, explosives, and cars that flip the fuck out on the uneven terrain that just loves to put obstacles into areas of the map that look clear.

Assasin's Creed - I've barely started it and it already seems like it'll be a lot of repetitive tasks.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
gatchapon 3*

assassin's creed is a game that i got on the hype train for, and put down almost immediately. It's really pretty, but it's not prince of persia.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

Pokemon Diamond: The battles are just...so...s l o w.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
the best stuff is to build your own or use quest items.
Can't build armour, shivam. Only accessories, and that's damn useless because I don't want to give up my Troll Ring. (If I could build weapons and armour, I would be all over that.)
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Designated Antagonist

Quote:
Can't build armour, shivam. Only accessories, and that's damn useless because I don't want to give up my Troll Ring. (If I could build weapons and armour, I would be all over that.)
You can build weapons, actually, but the problem is that nothing you can craft will ever be better in terms of damage than the bow you get as a reward for, like, the second or third quest in the game.

I vaguely remember being able to craft armor too, but it's been over a year since I played, so I could well be wrong about that.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
It's the reason I stopped playing after only ten hours or so!

(And sorry, even after speeding up the text, turning off animations, ect. it's still too slow.)
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 AM
23 ski-dook

Space Invaders Extreme - the final boss on 5-C is an exercise in hair-pulling madness. I can only fear 5-D's boss.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - sometimes, the game gives you absolutely no clue as to what you're supposed to do.

Sonic Rush - too many stupid instant-death pits/obstacles.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Placeholder

Quote:
EO is pretty much how fast First Person battles should be, really.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 AM
In the Hall of Judgment

A bit late to the party, but I'm playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for the first time right now. It's like the developers said "Hey! Let's make Metroid Prime again, except I think what the players want is more brown and green corridors!" Ugh, I loved Metroid Prime so much, in part because of it's interesting and varied environments, and MP2 has taken all that and shoved it in the crapper.

Also, I don't ever want to see another game with the light-world/dark-world dynamic ever again.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Also, I don't ever want to see another game with the light-world/dark-world dynamic ever again.
Admittedly MP2 was probably the single worst case of it I've seen. LttP's presented an alien sort of fantasy I would like to see more of, SotN's (if that counts) put a new perspective on those places you visited, HoD's was just boring, and MP2's kinda screws with Metroid gameplay in that it isn't fully connected anywhere like the light world is and the constant damage was just obnoxious in that kind of game. I tried to give the game another go but I'm afraid this may be a case where aesthetics actually kill a game for me. Then again maybe it was more all those little problems the game had adding up.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey guy.

Quote:
Sonic Rush - too many stupid instant-death pits/obstacles.
Yeah... you might want to try Sonic Rush Adventure instead. None of that crap!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
It's the reason I stopped playing after only ten hours or so!

(And sorry, even after speeding up the text, turning off animations, ect. it's still too slow.)
Oh... oh man... with everyone raving... I thought it was just me. All this time I thought it was me!

SotC: hard mode time attack! Fuck you, bearded colossi! Stop leading me on with a goddamn half-beard offering only to pull away at the last second! You tease!

FFXII:
Deep in the jungle dungeon, and damn if my entire party doesn't get petrified every other fucking battle. And I'm tired of wasting my MP once my softs are used up! Screw you, tentacle wolf puma... things! Also, I'm pretty sure I overdeveloped my abilities/attributes license board and underdeveloped my weapons/armor one. It's just... abilities are so much cooler.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by locit View Post
FFXII:[/B] Deep in the jungle dungeon, and damn if my entire party doesn't get petrified every other fucking battle. And I'm tired of wasting my MP once my softs are used up! Screw you, tentacle wolf puma... things! Also, I'm pretty sure I overdeveloped my abilities/attributes license board and underdeveloped my weapons/armor one. It's just... abilities are so much cooler.
If you overdeveloped your abilities, then you'd have the ones that restore your MP. And then you wouldn't be concerned about "wasting" your MP since you'd have an essentially limitless amount.

They're practically giving MP away in that game. Don't be afraid to use magic.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
I one-hit-KOed a Chansey yesterday and I swear I watched its HP drain away for a full fifteen seconds before it finally hit zero and fainted.

The only way I am buying Pokemon Platinum is if Game Freak speeds up the goddamn battle system. Oh hell, who am I kidding. I'll buy it regardless...
Old 08-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Sudden chomper

Let's see...

Phoenix Wright 3 - Occasionally falls back onto the classic PW "logic". Dammit, guy, I know you were at place X, now which one of your statements can I use to somehow convey this knowledge to the game? Also, the chef in case 3 is creeeeeepy.

Trauma Center 2 - It's Trauma Center minus the frustration! Plus terrible character portraits and annoying voice acting.

Contra 4 - Keeps killing me.

Etrian Odyssey II - See above.

Castlevania: SotN - The inverted castle is pretty dull compared to the original.

So that's what I'm playing. Despite my griping, I actually really like all these games. In fact, it's time to go to work, which means playing more DS on the bus, yay!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Trauma Center 2 - It's Trauma Center minus the frustration! Plus terrible character portraits and annoying voice acting.
Next time, they just need to give up on the "plot" entirely - I think I just started skipping segments about five missions in. Giving up GUILT would be nice as well, but they know how happy everyone would be and the series has always been more about dispensing pain rather than joy (New Blood, I'm looking at YOU).

Quote:
LttP's presented an alien sort of fantasy I would like to see more of,
Also, let's face it - LttP's was more a case of "this is the only way we could get an overworld the size we wanted into the cart space allocated" than anything else. The best gaming comes from working under restrictions, after all.

Mine:

NHL2K8 - WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU MORONS AVOID CORRUPTING FRANCHISE MODE SAVE GAMES!?! Aaargh. The game's not as good as NHL08 (big shock, that was pretty much perfect), but the season mode is incredibly good. Until you get to, like, season five and it starts locking up every time you hit date (x). And I had *SUCH* a great team last time - AO as a 70-goal-scoring 99 centered by Malkin and with Michalek on his other wing, a new rookie goaltender rated at *90* (allowing me to trade MAF for a bunch of picks) and every player on my team locked up until 2018 or so with 20 million of cap space lying around just so that I can screw with other teams by making outrageous free agent offers.

(Well, that and they didn't model the NHL salary cap correctly - they went with the NBA "global" model, while the NHL's is actually a neater "projected expenditure" model that rewards teams for being under at the start of the year by giving them more cap room on the tail end)

PixelJunk Monsters - It's too easy to miss jewels that fall behind towers / trees.

CivRev - Map size no longer annoys me, but the AI is still too dependent on unit quantity over quality, turning every war into siege actions rather than guerrilla.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefor View Post
You can build weapons, actually, but the problem is that nothing you can craft will ever be better in terms of damage than the bow you get as a reward for, like, the second or third quest in the game.

I vaguely remember being able to craft armor too, but it's been over a year since I played, so I could well be wrong about that.
Hmm. The setup I've got increases my damage for each of my mana tanks at max mana, and adds 2 mana to the other tanks. I can generate mana very quickly with this setup, but it takes a while to get going and it's very vulnerable to across the board mana draining, like, uh, diseases, which half the enemies in the expansion inflict. I think I sold that bow, I should create a new character and check it out.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
Similar complaints about Pokemon D/P battle system.
They really, terribly need to speed up the battles in these games. I love everything about Diamond except for the fact that it takes an eternity to finish a fight. Even running away takes forever, because you have to wait for the entire battle startup sequence to finish before you can run. If the fights moved twice as fast I'd be so much happier.

It only makes things worse when you get hit with Confuse or the like. I'm at the point where I can no longer contain the profound sigh that wells up any time I get hit with Confuse Ray or something similar.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Gettin' dizzy

Im somewhat regretting picking up Shiren the Wanderer because Im never going to beat this game!! I swear to god, I never find good enough drops to make it past floor 25.

And then I find out if I do power up a weapon I dont want to take it out of my storehouse for fear of dying and losing it. Damn me and my pack-rat hoarding instincts! D:
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Come, noble knights!

Final Fantasy IV (DS) ~ My gripes aren't with the slowed-down pace, but with the implementation of the augment system. About half of them are crap I'll never use because they're only useful in a certain situation (and not worth swapping out a more vital ability for), and the whole "discarding augments on temp party members to get more augments" gimmick is really counter-productive.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker ~ More a cosmetic complaint than anything, but it's a shame that there's no physical representation of the weapons I equip on my monsters. I understand it'd be hard to implement due to the numerous monsters and weapon types available, sure, but I would've loved to know just how a 'lil slime would wield a whip.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
uh, you can build anything and everything.

also, you shouldnt be using a troll ring anyway. I have a helm that gives +5 morale and +40% poison, and an accessory that does the same. People die well before i need any armor or anything.

how far in are you? Use the armor you get when you win quest battles.

Tags
a whiner is you , every game is good , fer me to poop on , first world problems , gettin' mad at videogames , literal slap in the face , mm loz castlevania , too bad so sad , waaahhh my video games