The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Fifth Business

Among 'too many damn games I am interested in playing all coming out at once' I see that 'The Silver Case', a vintage Suda51 game I've long wanted to try but gave up as an impossible dream, is now out on PS4 in sweet readable-by-me English.

TOO MANY GAMES.

Reviews say, that though possessing surreal goodness, it can be a bit unwelcoming as a gaming experience, but...I mean, I figure if I managed to not only beat but also GENUINELY, SINCERELY ENJOY 'Flower, Sun, And Rain', I can handle this, right?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Random guy

I booted my PS2 for the first time in forever today because I was in the mood to play some Katamari Damacy. (For the record, I did consider paying $10 to get the PS2 Classic version on PS3.)

The game is fine and plays fine on my TV (with an RGB cable, no the yellow/red/white kind).

The weirdest thing? Having to get up to shut down the console. I was trying to hit the non-existant PS button on the controller. Duh!

Last edited by bobbywatson; 04-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
I disagree that it's impossible to account for that. As developer you might have some subject blindness and won't realize that there are issues, but you could learn about it by watching other people playing your game for example.

It's definitely a sign that the explanation isn't good enough, even if others didn't have that problem. It's also a sign that the game designer didn't put enough effort into investigating and testing this.

There are much more problems with that tutorial too. For example it doesn't even tell you in the first place that you are supposed to actually avoid an attack (the screen that tells you about it pops up after you succeeded the tutorial). All of this is just objectively bad, really.

I'm also at least not the only one that had the problem: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1670...seria/74934513
I found a playthrough video of the tutorial you're talking about so I could get a better look at how it's done. The guy playing also seemed to have some initial problems doing it, and the language it uses could be misunderstood a little bit: "Provoke the enemy to attack, then perform a quickstep with LB+stick." To me that wording implies you're going to be dodging an attack, and from an avid action-game player perspective, that kind of combat mechanic would be second nature to me: you hold the block button and try to dodge before their attack hits you. That's a really normal thing to have in an action game and it's been in other Tales games too.

So yes, it is still a failure on Namco's part to have awkward tutorials (and it's definitely awkward, the enemy doesn't have nearly enough wind-up time on her attacks to really telegraph that she's about to hit you, but that's also a consequence of how Tales games generally are designed too), with no work arounds if the player doesn't get it, but on the other hand, I'm sure they expect their players at this point to have action game experience and/or have played previous Tales games. That's what I meant when I said it's basically impossible to account for everyone: you always have to assess if it's worth accommodating players who are less (or more!) savvy in whatever genre your game is. And, well, tutorials in most games are pretty bad in general. So there's that too.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
I don't know what it is, but I have many hopes for what it could be.
It looks fine, I GUESS, but it also doesn't look half as cool and stylish as this trailer was! https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mo.../1100-6449475/
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 AM
Blue Comet

Seems like it's anime dark souls wif vampyres. Why don't they just make Bloodborne 2?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 AM
The Great

The main reason is probably because Bandai Namco had nothing to do with Bloodborne.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM
Howling forever oh oh

Oh my shit Hot Shots Everybody's Golf for PS4. I love these fucking games.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
The main reason is probably because Bandai Namco had nothing to do with Bloodborne.
This. Bloodborne was developed by FromSoftware (like the Souls games), but published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Bandai Namco published the Dark Souls games.

As for Demon's Souls, it was published by SCE in Japan, but Atlus in the US, and the PAL region saw it via Bandai Namco. That's likely why we haven't seen a remaster or PS Now release of it.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
This is excellent news.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:20 PM
yum

I bought a fanart Triple Triad deck off of etsy and I'm very happy. The art's not amazing but it just feels so good to have a physical deck. And not pay $1000 for it.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM
Red Mage

Did it come with dice and tokens for the element spaces of the board?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
120 Days

Hey!
Is anyone playing Kero Blaster?
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Blue Comet

Anyone heard about that new Phoenix Point game from Julian Gollop (original creator of X-COM)? I saw a campaign video for the fig crowdfunding platform but it seems it wasnt ready to go public yet. I can't wait, I'm so hype!!!
Old Today, 01:07 AM
..and his little cat, too

Looking back up the thread a little bit, I just wanted to say that flying with the red star in Super Mario Galaxy was excellent, and Super Mario Galaxy 2's biggest failing is not bringing it back and making better use of it.
Old Today, 09:24 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Hey!
Is anyone playing Kero Blaster?
There's definitely been some Kero Blaster discussion here recently in a thread. I don't remember which one, though!
Old Today, 11:47 AM
Sudden chomper

We talked a lot of Kero Blaster in the Like What You're Playing thread a week or two ago. I've cleared regular mode 3 times in the last 10 days or so and am slowly working my way through Zangyou. It's a very good game!
Old Today, 12:30 PM
"FRE SH A VOCA LOID"

I was reading the ol' Sky Render KQ6 LP. Obviously there are a lot of "hero's journey" narratives out there in videogameland, but KQ6 is the closest you get to a straight-up Zelda game where the combat has been replaced with a series of inventory puzzles. People give it grief for wearing its references on its puffy tunic sleeves, sure, but the only difference between it and Zelda's referencing those same sources is that they didn't change the names as much.
Old Today, 01:04 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
We talked a lot of Kero Blaster in the Like What You're Playing thread a week or two ago. I've cleared regular mode 3 times in the last 10 days or so and am slowly working my way through Zangyou. It's a very good game!
The look of it gives me vibes of early famicom stuff i'd play on those 150 game hong kong carts!
Old Today, 02:56 PM
Howling forever oh oh

Scanner Sombre looks like something I need to experience.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage