The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Back in the 90s my posting gimmick was that I used the rhetorical structure of Cicero's Catilinarian Oratory. (Thank God the board I did this on has been nuked into non-existence.) Speaking from experience this took hours, resulted in nearly unreadable walls of text, and made me the single most hated person in that corner of the internet.

I don't recommend classical dialogues as a model for online gabbing, no.
This is The Best Thing (Also the Worst Thing, incidentally).
Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Back in the 90s my posting gimmick was that I used the rhetorical structure of Cicero's Catilinarian Oratory. (Thank God the board I did this on has been nuked into non-existence.) Speaking from experience this took hours, resulted in nearly unreadable walls of text, and made me the single most hated person in that corner of the internet.

Ample let us cast aside all earthly cares and run away together
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

well now I'm gonna have two-mix in my head forever, thanks for that, talking-time
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

An inappropriate tag was removed from this thread. Thank you to those of you who pointed it out to the Moderation Team. Belmont in the future please refrain from using the tags to insinuate posters have a developmental disorder or mental condition.

Thank you
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM
-ryn

Rya,

I would like to thank you for your post on points to create discussion. I find that I frequently drop into a thread, post my feelings on the topic and then nobody responds to me. This is partially my own fault because I'm not engaging with people (and also because I tend to forget what I posted and forget to check back on a thread i posted in).

So, again, thank you for your feelings and for taking the time to express them. I agree and I want to work on using your points to make better posts.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah I don't think Rya's primarily talking about things like the Top 50 threads, which are very much centered around discussion, usually focusing on one or two items a day. What he's describing is more like the "list your top 10 games for 2016" or whatever, which - yeah, 90% of the traffic in those is just people posting un-commented or sparsely-commented lists with little discussion, and it does feel like you're lucky if anyone actually spends any time reading your own list.

Those certainly have limited value compared to more discussion-focused threads, but as Rivers pointed out it's not necessarily no value, as you can still get a quick overview of things the community likes that you may have overlooked, and do it faster for a broader selection of things than if you were trying to digest a whole discussion.

Anyways, the obvious answer is as usual, if you don't get anything from them, don't bother reading or posting to them. I really doubt their existence takes anything significant away from other threads, so I can't see any reason to actively discourage their existence.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Safe Space

Quote:

I dunno, Ample. From what I remember of the place, that'd fit right in on the Stardestroyer.net BBS.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

O tempora! O mores!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:08 PM

I think there can be some value in list threads, provided they have some kind of theme or restriction (such as top 5 of the decade, or game of the year for every year). I enjoy seeing what friends, and other posters I respect, list. They definitely should be done sparingly, but I don't think TT really has an issue with this.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:36 PM
poisonous thread snake

I think sometimes people just are like- into different things, don't see things the same way, don't wanna talk about or get into things they aren't interested in, etc.

I mostly just post in the comics threads to the pleasure of nobody. I've never really found a community who was very into the things I like, though. I've had a little bit of luck messaging other weirdo deep-divers on Tumblr from time to time and met some interesting people that way, but other than that the Internet has convinced me that my High School experience was actually correct- I'm on the outside.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM

Just wanted to dip and say this is a really interesting thread.

I don't have much to say or add beyond the fact that I do feel old on the internet, and feel like forums are about the level of communication I want out of the internet. You can find a group of people who like the same stuff you like, no rating system so there's no benefit to posting more or louder, and is always updating to there's always a reason to refresh.

I also feel like the forum is dying, if you don't count reddit as a forum (i don't)
Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 AM

I used to sign every forum post on the Unicorn Jelly forums with

"Yours very sincerely"

And yeah I'm glad that is blasted off the net
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 AM
whatever it takes

I used to post on the Gamingforce forums, which uses custom board software coded from scratch as the founder's college project, and which at one point added a script which automatically appended either "Ciao." or "Cheers." (alternating) to the end of every single post, with no user-side option to disable or change it. it was pretty good

Ciao.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I used to post on the Gamingforce forums, which uses custom board software coded from scratch as the founder's college project, and which at one point added a script which automatically appended either "Ciao." or "Cheers." (alternating) to the end of every single post, with no user-side option to disable or change it. it was pretty good

Ciao.
That sounds really annoying.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I dunno, Ample. From what I remember of the place, that'd fit right in on the Stardestroyer.net BBS.
God has a plan for me, and my evidence for this is that I never encountered stardestroyer.net at the time when doing so would have consumed my soul
Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ceterum censeo Sonic esse delendam.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

TT is strong in Classical education
Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM
twinkling photon

In my opinion: there are threads that are fun to post in (list threads), threads that are fun to read the posts of others in (LP/analysis/art threads where the OP is running the show), and threads in which both activities are engaging. Nuanced conversation only happens in the third, but that's alright, because there's room for all three.

Tags
communication , conversations , dogs , internet , just wild beat