The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukyn View Post
I had Epic Pinball, and two tables from shareware versions. I loved it, especially the andriod table where you had to activate the android through table goals. Never did wake the thing up, but it was fun trying.
Ah, right! Epic Pinball was good too, but Super Android was the only table in that one that I put any serious time into. I remember enjoying Extreme Pinball slightly more because it had faster/looser movement physics on the ball.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
One Must Fall 2097
God I played so much (and got so mad at) OMF2097. But is that a DOS game? I remember playing it in like 1997.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukyn View Post
I had Epic Pinball, and two tables from shareware versions. I loved it, especially the andriod table where you had to activate the android through table goals. Never did wake the thing up, but it was fun trying.
I was just thinking about Epic Pinball last night! Pretty sure I had a cracked copy with all the tables unlocked. It's probably the pinball game that I've spent the most time playing.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Inherently Stealthy

While we're talking about fantastic techniques of the DOS era lost in subsequent technology...

iMUSE.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
noble beast

twisted

Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

I love the sierra death compilation videos so much. I've written at length about the one from king's quest v here somewhere
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Sometime in 1997 or maybe 1998 my family got a very outdated desktop with Windows 3.1, and inherited a small set of games from the previous owner. These included Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and one of the Lucasarts Indiana Jones. It was kind of a nightmare trying to get any of these work on that PC - Monkey Island would crash shortly after arriving in the first town area, and Sam & Max didn't have sound.

It's still my goal to play through at least the original Monkey Island one of these days...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Sometime in 1997 or maybe 1998 my family got a very outdated desktop with Windows 3.1, and inherited a small set of games from the previous owner. These included Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and one of the Lucasarts Indiana Jones. It was kind of a nightmare trying to get any of these work on that PC - Monkey Island would crash shortly after arriving in the first town area, and Sam & Max didn't have sound.

It's still my goal to play through at least the original Monkey Island one of these days...
MI1 is still totally approachable today, and it's pretty easy to find. My first adventure game was MI2, and as much as I loved it at the time, in retrospect I probably should've started with something a little more straightforward.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I never really thought of it at the time, but DOS games really were the Wild West, weren't they? I remember we had a few CD-ROMs floating around the house that had boatloads of shareware games to try. A lot of them were pretty garbage, but a handful were actually decent.

Our first PC was a Packard Bell 386SX which initially came with a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drive (the latter of which was never used until I got loaned copies of the first few King's Quest and Space Quest games from a friend). The 5.25" drive later got replaced by a CD-ROM, and we also got to add a Soundblaster. Going back and playing a lot of the old games with the new sound effects and music was pretty amazing.

A lot of our games were pirated, also, which I didn't realize at the time. We had a copy of Prince of Persia which was cracked, so we didn't need the manual for copy protection. Unfortunately, the manual also explains that the Shift key performs a variety of actions in different contexts, which I didn't know. I struggled with that game for a long time.

Also played a lot of Xargon, a lot of Duke Nukem (from back when he wore purple and wanted to save the world from Dr. Proton in time to get home and watch Oprah), and a fair bit of other stuff. I remember absolutely loving Monkey Island II and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Thank God for ScummVM, DOS Box and D-Fend.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Video World 14 is out!

Someone else played Xargon.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
God I played so much (and got so mad at) OMF2097. But is that a DOS game? I remember playing it in like 1997.
Yup, definitely DOS, although I do think it was rather agreeable in Windows '95. Not native, though. Came out in 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Must_Fall:_2097
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I loved the look and feel and soundscape of Xargon. It's probably one of my favorite DOS games of all time.

I'm also super amused about there being no attack animation of any kind. Like someone sat down in a meeting and was like, "So, uh... Is it okay that we don't have an attack animation? Because right now, the lasers just... kind of... You know."

"Know what?"

"Well, you know... They just sort of, like, come out."

"Out of where?"

"Uh, well... his crotch. Do we want to maybe, like, do something about that? Because, you know..."

"Nah, it's fine. I'm sure it will be fine."
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
twisted
Laura Bow videos
If I ever did a Lets Play here, Laura Bow 2 would be what I would want to do. I even recorded the intro to LB2 and wrote an opening post one time... (that or Civilization)

I totally had OMF2097. I think it was the only 2 player game we had. I don't remember the controls, but somehow my brother and I had a way to fight each other. I think i would use the one that shot fire and he would use the one that had metal roller wheels and flails on its shoulders. We figured out a lot of the combos and got pretty decent at it. Probably the only fighting game I think I ever put any significant amount of time into. I think I was also pretty good at one that had either a diamond or electricity in its chest... this is all from memory. I'll google it in a bit...

EDIT: it was the diamond (his name was Chronos)

Last edited by Taeryn; 04-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Skyroads is weirdly hypnotic and more than a little existential. A soothing game about inevitable death.
The music really helps it along in that regard too. Some very subtly mournful stuff in there. Some tunes in Pulseman that are strikingly reminiscent, too.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Safe Space

Default uh oh, that last step was a doozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
king's quest v
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

I've long considered making that my phone's ringtone. Never gotten around to it though.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
I totally had OMF2097. I think it was the only 2 player game we had. I don't remember the controls, but somehow my brother and I had a way to fight each other. I think i would use the one that shot fire and he would use the one that had metal roller wheels and flails on its shoulders. We figured out a lot of the combos and got pretty decent at it. Probably the only fighting game I think I ever put any significant amount of time into. I think I was also pretty good at one that had either a diamond or electricity in its chest... this is all from memory. I'll google it in a bit...

EDIT: it was the diamond (his name was Chronos)
My brother used to use the Shadow mech a lot. That double-tap down grab move was pretty nice, and he'd rip the AI to shreds. I'm not sure I had an absolute favorite mech, but I used the Jaguar a lot in the tournament mode, and I liked the Katana a lot as well. But all of them had some move you could abuse pretty well. The game did a ton with only two buttons.

(The Jaguar's roundhouse kick was vicious, by the way.)
Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM
-ryn

looking at the move list, i'm guessing my bro and I got into OMF because the moves weren't too tough to sus out.

I remember you could turn up the "gore" of the game by increasing the amount of pieces of metal fly off of the robots when they get hit and we'd turn it up higher to slow down the game so it was easier. Get in one good hit and you could basically juggle the opponent for the rest of the match.

We also really liked the arenas that had hazards. Easily win by throwing opponents into the wall in the electric cage.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Did anyone ever play Frontier Elite? I experienced this game for the first time a couple years ago after perusing a huge list of best PC games. I didn't get too far into it, but I was impressed with how seemingly enormous it was and also how complicated the...everything was.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Inherently Stealthy

I played it a bit, yeah. It was baffling and complex and I was never able to get into it. Has there ever been a technical teardown of it? It pulled off tons of stuff that other games of the period struggled with and only managed by gimmickery.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM
gatchapon 3*

i fucking love dos based games so much.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM

There was another game I played briefly, Lethal Tender, either a Wolfenstein mod or a close clone, was hilariously cheesy. You had a map of your body that showed damage, and if your leg was damaged you'd go slowly, etc. If it got really bad you could lose the limb, and then you were walking in circles. There were times you could even lose your head (??) and then pick up a medkit and it would be OK again. Also, the enemies let out the funniest "WUUUGGGG" when you killed them.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Star Control 2 which you can enjoy today! Either through GOG or for free at Ur Quan Masters

Then you can print this map out as a basic guide, get yourself a big piece of sheet paper, and begin exploring! Map an entire wing of the galaxy!

It's a blast!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Is there not one thing

Any insights into Juffo Wup and/or turgidity you would wish to provide at this time?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Is there not one thing

What I missed the most from the DOS era of gaming was that production costs were low enough for kooky new ideas to flourish. You saw a scale of experimentation and genre proliferation that only returned with the indie boom of the last decade.

But things are even better now, providing you know where to look.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Star Control 2 which you can enjoy today! Either through GOG or for free at Ur Quan Masters

Then you can print this map out as a basic guide, get yourself a big piece of sheet paper, and begin exploring! Map an entire wing of the galaxy!

It's a blast!
I will second this recommendation, StarCon 2 rides the line and provides you with the depth and freedom that you crave from a PC game without being too inscrutable and complicated. That said, you're still going to have to work for it by taking notes and keeping a bunch of different saves for when you make a bad decision and only realize it an hour later. The writing, story and world of StarCon 2 are all top-notch, so if you're going to invest in any archaic PC game, make it this one.

(FWIW I didn't play it until around 2008 and I had a good old time with it.)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I will second this recommendation, StarCon 2 rides the line and provides you with the depth and freedom that you crave from a PC game without being too inscrutable and complicated. That said, you're still going to have to work for it by taking notes and keeping a bunch of different saves for when you make a bad decision and only realize it an hour later. The writing, story and world of StarCon 2 are all top-notch, so if you're going to invest in any archaic PC game, make it this one.

(FWIW I didn't play it until around 2008 and I had a good old time with it.)
I didn't beat the game until THIS year. Still had a blast with it. And Yeah, you need to take notes. A giant piece of poster board or sheet paper is ideal for this because you can map out the galaxy as you explore it and add notes to locales you hear about or need to visit.

So good.

Tags
nostalgia , pc games