The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-01-2017, 03:49 PM

Default TalkingTime curates April games: share your (anticipated/on the radar) releases

This thread is for sharing any games coming out in April that interest you and why.

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
Make a list of your main interests + possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
This is the place!

Basically, we're going to list and describe what new games interest us. The scope of the thread is just new games (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month") and the angle is sharing your anticipation and curiosity (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress). You can post about a bunch of games all at once or you can post about single games as you learn about them.

P.S.: if you want a handy list of the 'consensus' top upcoming games of the month, here's one video list and a text list. Feel free to post other lists like these that you find useful.

Previous threads can be read here.

Last edited by dosboot; 04-02-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 PM

So what are we trying to do here? There is a point to this, right?

This thread is a two way street for game discovery and game filtering. The hope is that people find this valuable in the sense of "hey, there's a game I haven't even heard of" and the subtler "seeing people interested in this game makes it seem worth paying more attention to".

That value is only created if we put in value with how we post. It is explicitly beneficial to:
1) Describe what your listed games are about if they aren't major AAA titles.
2) Give a more complete picture of your interests (a *deeper* list of games) when appropriate.

RE: 2) Like, try to prefer thinking of this more as "which 5+ games are my curation picks". The idea is that sharing our subjective opinions can help other people looking for games, so it should include what's on one's radar and not just the creme de la creme. Only sharing your 1 or 2 must buys - in effect emphasizing what is 'enough' for you right now - has less value to everyone else. That's a more predictable category that misses, for example, games you are 'potentially curious' for, 'might get to later', or whatever.

RE: 1) When you list a game, it really deserves to be described in a short sentence at minimum unless it's been described before or if everyone knows what it is from the name alone. The more you can write here the better if you can spare it. Heck, give a full paragraph blurb if you want to share some extra enthusiasm. People will read it and they might thank you for turning them onto it

The other point of this thread is just to have more forum mingling about current releases outside of dedicated threads. It's nice to see what other people are interested in, and when you are an outsider to a certain game it's nice to be able to ask the aficionados what makes it special. This seems like a useful concept to me, as most people aren't going to wander into dedicated threads to get that.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yooka Laylee will, if nothing else, fill the Mario-shaped hole in the Switchs library until a proper Mario game comes out this winter.

Cosmic Star Heroine is a Zeboyd RPG built to hearken the likes of Phantasy Star to mind, and every part of that sentence appeals to me.

Wonderboy: The Dragons Trap is a gussied up remake of my favorite game in that inscrutably titled series. So heck YES I am looking forward to it!

The Disney Afternoon Collection is ALSO a port of an 8 bit platformer I liked! Except it is six remakes!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is ANOTHER gussied up port of a game I really like!

That's five games I want really badly, ALL OF WHICH being derivitive of games I already love! Some more-so than others! I am the ouroborus!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Come, noble knights!

My current plan is to save for the next few weeks so I can pre-order Dragon Quest Heroes II on PS4. Dragon Quest + Musou go pretty well together, and this one has multiplayer, world traversal, and Torneko in it.

Yooka-Laylee also interests me just 'cuz non-Mario 3D sandbox platformers are an endangered species in the world of shootmans and I'd like more of this kinda shit. But I'm picking it up later.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Persona 5 and Yooka-Laylee both come out this month (not to mention the new Hearthstone expansion), so if I have time for anything else, I'll be surprised.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:22 PM
EMOJO JOJO

God. I just. Can't. Even.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 PM
hi there

TitS 3rd when
Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Aside from what's already been mentioned in the thread, Shakedown Hawaii is supposed to be released in April. It's from the guys who gave us Retro City Rampage and reminds me a bit of those top-down shooters that were popular for a second on the NES.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...-hawaii-switch

But my only must-have day-one release this month is Disney Afternoon Collection.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:40 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Previous threads can be read here.
FYI, searches expire (and that one has). Use this link instead, which is a direct link to the tag.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:54 PM

Cosmic Star Heroine is my most anticipated game of the year even. And finally it will be released. Phantasy Star story and Chrono Trigger gameplay and alone the trailer already shows how much love went into the game. I also liked Zeboyd's first two games (BoDVII and CSTW). Will buy on release day.

If any of those Wonder Boy Remakes make it to Europe, I'll also get them.

I also decided to give SMT another chance with Persona 5, but I'll probably not buy it at full price. I'll probably wait until christmas sale or something.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 AM

main interest:
1. Specter of Torment

probably going to get around to:
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

potentially interested, plan to watch closely:
4. Yooka-Laylee
5. Dragon Quest Heroes II

Specter of Torment is the new campaign for Shovel Knight and this one probably can best be described as a sidescroller with shades of Ninja Gaiden. If you aren't familiar with Shovel Knight, it's a modern 8 bit platformer that mixes aspects of many NES games and especially Megaman. I also put Spectre of Torment on my list last month, but this month is the PC release date and I have no shame so...

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a remake of WB3: The Dragon's Trap, a master system Metroidvania-esque game. It seems to be a fairly faithful remake with a nice graphical overhaul. I'm not planning on jumping into this one for a while since the original never grabbed me as much as it did others.

Dragon Quest Heroes II - Dynasty Warriors game using the Dragon Quest IP

Yooka-Laylee - spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. I've been interested in playing the original BK lately, but this looks like it'd be better. Honestly, my main overall thought is that I'm not sure if I've grown tepid about the genre or if it was just the last ones I've played. So I'll be watching YL closely, hoping to see strong reviews and reception. The kickstarter campaign generated a palpable excitement for this genre, and that has certainty rubbed off on me.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Come, noble knights!

The Dragon Quest Heroes games are totes "DraQue meets Dynasty Warriors" but I'd say that more than any other Musou spinoff it has its own identity, foregoing the standard Warriors mission structure in favor of doing its own thing, like fighting off hordes while ascending a tower or shooting a Gigantes in the face with cannons and everybody having spells/skills to use and summoned monster support units.

Even Hyrule Warriors, as great as it is for diversity in both player and enemy units, stuck to the standard Musou Blue Army vs. Red Army room capture/defense structure.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The Disney Afternoon Collection is ALSO a port of an 8 bit platformer I liked! Except it is six remakes!
I was SO EXCITED when I saw the thread about this one.

Persona 5, which I guess I'm a little bitter about honestly. We used up a ton of expiring points to get a PS3 for that game and all the stupid gay tropes are really getting to me. Honestly I would prefer to cancel my order and wait a year until the PS4 and the game prices have dropped, but Lumber wants it Day 1.

Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch. We picked up a copy of this for the Vita when we were in Japan and it's really fun! This version will let us play against each other though which I missed in the old version for sure. And apparently it even supports 4-player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is ANOTHER gussied up port of a game I really like!
We already have MK8 (and a bunch of controllers) for Wii U so this is a resounding "probably not" but I really want to play it!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh man, I forgot about Puyo-Tetris.

It's the Reese' Peanut Butter Cups of the falling rubbish genre!
Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 AM
is Earnest

I'll eventually get Persona 5, and Mariokart even farther down the road, but it's gonna take me a while to recover from last month.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Answers come in dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I was SO EXCITED when I saw the thread about this one.

Persona 5, which I guess I'm a little bitter about honestly. We used up a ton of expiring points to get a PS3 for that game and all the stupid gay tropes are really getting to me. Honestly I would prefer to cancel my order and wait a year until the PS4 and the game prices have dropped, but Lumber wants it Day 1.

Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch. We picked up a copy of this for the Vita when we were in Japan and it's really fun! This version will let us play against each other though which I missed in the old version for sure. And apparently it even supports 4-player.

We already have MK8 (and a bunch of controllers) for Wii U so this is a resounding "probably not" but I really want to play it!
Right with you there on those games. Not so much on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe though. Looking forward to P5. 3+4 were great games.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Out Of Warranty

I only have three game purchases planned for the first three-quarters of this year, and Persona 5 is one of them. Even with all the controversy around it (which I only nebulously grasp, as I'm diving in almost completely unspoiled) I'm still excited for it. I won't be able to play it until late this month, though
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM

Puyo Puyo Tetris is my most anticipated game of the month. While I've played Puyo Pop in some iteration years ago and enjoyed it, Tetris is one of my favorite games ever. I'm excited to play competitively. I haven't decided if I will get it digitally or not. The packaging looks great but it would be nice to have it on the system to play whenever without having to worry about swapping game cards.

I'll definitely be picking up Mario Kart at some point, but seeing as though I have the Wii U version it is less of a priority.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Tell me about your mother

Snake Pass also comes out this month, and it seems like a nice puzzle-platformer diversion. You control a snekk who coils himself around level architecture to grab trinkets and such. And it has a nice late mid 90s to early 2000 cutsey platformer collectathon look.

Edited for youtube embedding being a butt.

Last edited by Doctor Nerd; 04-03-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:26 PM

Must-play: Specter of Torment

Interested, will probably buy: Wonderboy: Dragon's Trap

Waiting on reviews first: Cosmic Star Heroine, Shakedown: Hawaii, Yooka-Laylee

Will buy someday when it's cheap: Persona 5
Old 04-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Bayonetta came to Steam (o_O) !

I guess it is best described as a "stylish action game" made by Platinum in the vein of the Devil May Cry series.

I keep slowly trying to get into this genre, so I'm going to be in the market for this one at some point. I thought Devil May Cry 3 was fun to beat but not clicking enough, so I'd be more than willing to try a similar-but-different take.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Bayonetta came to Steam (o_O) !

I guess it is best described as a "stylish action game" made by Platinum in the vein of the Devil May Cry series.

I keep slowly trying to get into this genre, so I'm going to be in the market for this one at some point. I thought Devil May Cry 3 was fun to beat but not clicking enough, so I'd be more than willing to try a similar-but-different take.
If they're gonna bring over Bayo 2, wait for that.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
EMOJO JOJO

Bayo 1 is still a lot of fun. I'm guessing Bayo 2 is probably not going to leave Nintendo platforms as easily, though it is arguably (I didn't play through it much before it got stolen) the nicer game?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Yeah, Bayonetta 2 is definitely the better game, in my opinion. Everything just felt smoother.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:19 PM
EMOJO JOJO

It was also incredibly pretty. The colors, duke, the colors!

As much as I loved Bayo 1 it was extremely muted.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 AM

I played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo for a bit last night, and I like it! The artwork, animation, and style are bright and colorful, similar to Bomberman. 4-player Tetris vs Puyo plays great. I wish the demo let you preview other game modes (only two of the battle modes are available to try). The mark of a good Tetris game is that it has an endless mode. I'm hopeful it will have it buried in the "Challenges" mode.

And I really want to play more Puyo. My brain isn't quite there with how to set up big combos yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 AM
EMOJO JOJO

All the old Puyos had an endless mode under "exercise" so I'd be very surprised if this game doesn't have an endless mode of some sort, though it might not be part of the demo.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 PM
d.o_o.b

YOOOOO CRAWL IS OUT

CRAWL

CRAWL

CRAWL
Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Give us a simple description since it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 PM
d.o_o.b

It's a local multiplayer dungeon crawl where one player acts as a human trying to escape, and the other three are vengeful ghosts attempting to stop them. If the human player dies, whoever killed them becomes human. As the human, you purchase relics and weapons to become more powerful, and as the ghosts, you can possess traps and transform into various monsters. You can also play with bots, which is still fun.

It was dope as hell in early access, and it's even better now.

Tags
tt curates , upcoming games