The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
the good version of Ducktales in it (the NES one where they don't pause the action every two minutes to have a talk)
Remastered has an option to disable those, you know.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I don't believe it did at release. But it does now, yeah.

Ducktales Remastered - super good.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I don't believe it did at release. But it does now, yeah.

Ducktales Remastered - super good.
TBH that's what kept me away from playing remastered. I watched a friend play it and I couldn't stand the dialog interruptions. Just the worst. I appreciate they used the original cast of voice actors, though.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
TBH that's what kept me away from playing remastered. I watched a friend play it and I couldn't stand the dialog interruptions. Just the worst. I appreciate they used the original cast of voice actors, though.
I mean, you can skip the dialogue cutscenes. Push start and select "skip". It can't get much easier than that. Having to do so was sort of annoying, but I don't understand at all how this is some game-breaking feature that prevents people from enjoying the game. And not to single you out Dracula, I've just heard this as a complaint more often than not. The fact that they added an option to skip the dialogue entirely should just settle the matter. It's a really damn good game.

As for this collection, I appreciate that people are excited about it, but these are games I've played before (a lot) and just like the megaman legacy collection, I don't care to pay money to have them on a modern console, less so on a PC. I know TT likes to dog on people just playing ROMs, but shit man, I've been emulating games like this since I was in grade school... it's just impossible for me to appreciate this as a consumer. Again, I appreciate people enjoy it, but personally I'd prefer they continue to remaster games in the same way they remastered Duck Tales. A remaster of Darkwing Duck would be absolutely amazing.

I might consider it if it were on the 3DS, because the system offers a lot for me by virtue of being handheld. The rewind/gallery/challenge modes don't really sell me at all.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
It's been fixed for three and a half years.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
I don't believe it did at release.
It did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
As for this collection, I appreciate that people are excited about it, but these are games I've played before (a lot) and just like the megaman legacy collection, I don't care to pay money to have them on a modern console, less so on a PC. I know TT likes to dog on people just playing ROMs, but shit man, I've been emulating games like this since I was in grade school... it's just impossible for me to appreciate this as a consumer. Again, I appreciate people enjoy it, but personally I'd prefer they continue to remaster games in the same way they remastered Duck Tales. A remaster of Darkwing Duck would be absolutely amazing.
whynotboth?.gif

Many of us had the ability to play these games in their original context, or at least in the original formats. Whether we owned an NES in the 80's or picked some of these up at flea markets much later.

I have a ginormous CRT TV with S-Video downstairs. For old 2D games with very precise timing and feel, there is nothing as right as a tube TV.

I'd actually heard/read about lag complaints with even the MMLC, though. Much of it may not be the fault of the game (wireless controllers, types of TV, splitters, etc.). However, those are all games that you want as much precision as possible. It's little wonder how Cifaldi, who has been spearheading these collections, came from a background of game preservation.

Perhaps with newer generations of TVs and retroclone consoles, the input lag problem will disappear. In the meantime, though, there's a merit to collections shooting for accuracy, but I do like seeing quality remakes. However, I do like me some Shovel Knight.

I'm glad that it is acceptable to release 2D games again, even if they are most commonly on download services. In the early 90s they were looked at as only being acceptable as handheld games. I loved the GBA's library, naturally, but I wanted to play them on my TV, too. Yes, I have a Game Boy Player, but they don't look as good as the typical SNES game due to lower resolution.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Ducktales Remastered is a good game, but it isn't the original game, and it's not a replacement for the original game. The original games are good and deserve to be available legally for everyone. This release is a minor miracle, especially considering the way gamers kvetched about MMLC
Old 03-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
It did.
I think we're at cross purposes.

You've always been able to skip cutscenes by pressing start, but they patched in the ability to select "no cutscenes" in the menu.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:22 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
Ducktales Remastered is a good game, but it isn't the original game, and it's not a replacement for the original game. The original games are good and deserve to be available legally for everyone. This release is a minor miracle, especially considering the way gamers kvetched about MMLC
I was honestly a bit surprised that they didn't just include the original game in it. Remakes often do it and even the occasional reboot/revival. Metroid Zero Mission, Halo Anniversary, Castlevania Chronicles, the XBLA/PSN NiGHTs, Panzer Dragoon Orta, several of the 3D Prince of Persia games, etc.

It seemed to be very unusual they didn't include an NES game, which should have been easy to include.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Metroid Zero Mission
Whoa wait.... really?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Come, noble knights!

Yes, really. The GBA remake has a "squished for GBA" port of the NES Metroid as an unlock for beating it. Kinda makes the separate NES Classics release redundant.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Yeah, it's not right there from the beginning.

The NES Classics GBA games were cheaper than the standard GBA game released at the time (I think they were 20 bucks vs. the usual 30, but not certain). Pre-Virtual Console, that wasn't too bad.

However, yeah, if you somehow didn't want to have to play Zero Mission all the way through, you could play it by itself for less dough. However, Metroid 1 is one of the few Nintendo classics for NES I don't think holds up, so whatever.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Chief Servbot

Doesn't Prime 1 also include NES Metroid? I think that's where I first played it...

Nintendo really wanted you to play Metroid 1 back then, huh
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

It did but only if you linked it to Metroid Fusion. And, like the Mega Man collection, it mapped Jump to B and Shoot to A for reasons hithertoo unknown
Old 03-18-2017, 02:35 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
Doesn't Prime 1 also include NES Metroid? I think that's where I first played it...

Nintendo really wanted you to play Metroid 1 back then, huh
Yep, if you linked up with Metroid Fusion. The button assignments were weird and the visuals were kinda smeary, though; Animal Crossing NES emulation it ain't.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:24 PM
..and his little cat, too

Man, I can only hope this does well enough that maybe, just maybe this will convince Capcom to get WayForward to make a Remastered-styled sequel to Darkwing Duck... which should have gotten one with the rest, anyway!

Seriously, we need a game with Negaduck already. Wolf Duck? Please.

Taurus Bulba would be awesome as well.

This needs to happen.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Come, noble knights!

This talk of wanting a Darkwing Duck remaster just reminds me that Christine Cavanaugh is retired and dead. =(
Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Man, I can only hope this does well enough that maybe, just maybe this will convince Capcom to get WayForward to make a Remastered-styled sequel to Darkwing Duck... which should have gotten one with the rest, anyway!

Seriously, we need a game with Negaduck already.
The closest I think we have is Jim Cummings as the voice of the Terror Mask in the rebooted Splatterhouse game.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 AM
..and his little cat, too

That was pretty awesome.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Obsession or passion?

I'd sure like to have this as physical, but at least the collection will be cheaper than Virtual Console would have been for the individual games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post

Seriously, we need a game with Negaduck already. Wolf Duck? Please.

Taurus Bulba would be awesome as well.

This needs to happen.
Oh man. Don't make me want things that won't happen.

Then again, we're in a thread about these Disney NES games getting rereleased on current platforms... so, what's WayForward doing these days?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Something with tits I expect.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Then again, we're in a thread about these Disney NES games getting rereleased on current platforms... so, what's WayForward doing these days?
Quote:
Something with tits I expect.
HD Jessica Rabbit incoming. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Remastered CONFIRMED.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
HD Jessica Rabbit incoming. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Remastered CONFIRMED.
I'd like to see those. I mean that.

Anyhoo, it would be neat to see more collections of these games previously trapped by licenses. Will this remain a Capcom thing? I'm sure there would be demand for a Konami NES collection with Turtles, Monster in My Pocket and other games where licensing has held single releases back. That seemed to be the biggest problem with Virtual Console, barely any of the games based on popular licenses were made available.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I would love to see Castlevania, Castlevania 2, Castlevania 3, Contra, Super C, Metal Gear, Goonies 2, TMNT, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc. given the Digital Eclipse treatment. But, you know, LULZ KONAMI.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
TMNT, Tiny Toon Adventures
I really hadn't thought through how much my preference for certain cartoons/comics determined what games I bought back in the NES days...
Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Didn't hurt that Capcom and Konami were on top of their game back then.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Didn't hurt that Capcom and Konami were on top of their game back then.
Yup. Combine a great series with a great game like DuckTales or Tiny Toons and you don't have to wonder if you like the series because of the game or vice versa.

Then combine a ho-hum series with a middling game like Bonkers and you don't have to wonder why you don't like either.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami View Post
Then combine a ho-hum series with a middling game like Bonkers and you don't have to wonder why you don't like either.
For a show with a premise that was essentially "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: The Animated Series," Disney really squandered all that potential. Bonkers sucks.

What's strange is the Rare-developed WFRR game on NES also wasn't very good. Good property and good dev doesn't always equal success either, apparently.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

I thought that was an LJN game.

Kind of fits their tendency to makes games that are conceptually very good and hot garbage to actually play.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 AM
#deadfish2017

It was both!

Tags
capcom , digital eclipse , disney afternoon , ducktales! , non-nintendo products , nostalgia glasses , rereleases , woo-oo