The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I. Love. It.

Default Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch

So it was just announced during the opening ceremonies. Overwatch looks like Blizzard's attempt at doing Team Fortress 2, but through a filter of stylistic superheroes.

The demo movie is playing as I type so no more real info than that, but still.

Looks Heroes vs Villains, the characters are almost Pixar-like. No release date or microtransaction info yet.

EDIT:

Announcement Trailer.

Gameplay Trailer.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 11-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:52 AM

HOLY BALLS A NEW BLIZZARD IP

looks like Team Fortress 2 crossed with Dota, and it looks pretty frickin' rad too
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM

I have played Blizzard Games since Orcs & Humans and I'm currently sinking hours into Diablo 3.

All of Blizzard's games feel really safe. Like they have been focus tested to hell and back again. I admire their polish, in the sense that Blizzard Games rarely have game-breaking bugs and their artwork is top-notch (Although there definitely is a Blizzard Style).

I would like to see Blizzard make a game with game design as accomplished as their visuals.

For having clearly talented staff, a mash up of TF2 and Pixar Art doesn't communicate creativity in game design to me. Maybe that is Blizzard. Content to make really polished and solid but unsurprising games.

Their other game is a DOTA* 2 clone right?

*I'm aware of the dev history of DOTA

Last edited by Voncaster; 11-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Objection!

That trailer and gameplay video looks awesome. I'm really interested in this game, though I may not really play it a whole lot since I'm still not... that much into competitive multiplayer games.

If nothing else, it being framed as some kind of GI Joe-styled team shooter is an awesome idea.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Is there not one thing

Default Blizzard's new IP: Overwatch

You were there when blizz reinvented the action rpg and the mmo right?

E: talking to voncaster

Last edited by Ample Vigour; 11-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I would like to see Blizzard make a game with game design as accomplished as their visuals.
You know that Starcraft is one of the most popular and successful competitive games in the world, right?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:22 PM
is Earnest

I'm not at all interested in playing an online multiplayer shooter, but dang if that doesn't look wonderful anyway.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Objection!

Apparently they're looking to have some of the characters be non-twitch style gameplay, and there will not be straight deathmatch gameplay. That's certainly things that make me happier.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Apparently they're looking to have some of the characters be non-twitch style gameplay, and there will not be straight deathmatch gameplay. That's certainly things that make me happier.
!!! Interest level: +1!

I really enjoy the match-level gameplay in TF2, but when it gets down to playing any individual character, the choices always leave me cold. I feel like my choices are between twitchy shooting that I don't enjoy, being the #1 target, and sitting behind a turret the whole game.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Indelible Inkling

Blizzard does gameplay and accessibility like few others, I'm sure I will play and enjoy this. It hits a lot of the same pitch beats as TF2 (teamwork, inclusive, fleshed out characters), but that's not a bad thing to me. I do worry about what the money model will be, I'd really like to just buy a box with all the content and live with all the hat type cosmetics instead of unlocking mans with Blizzard Points or buying them with Currency Points.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
King Of Space-Time

WANT.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Oh, and publisher-hosted servers. Publisher-hosted servers will be nice. The single thing that made me stop playing TF2 was the difficulty of dealing with finding a private server that was half-decent to play on.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
!!! Interest level: +1!

I really enjoy the match-level gameplay in TF2, but when it gets down to playing any individual character, the choices always leave me cold. I feel like my choices are between twitchy shooting that I don't enjoy, being the #1 target, and sitting behind a turret the whole game.
Which of those buckets is Spy? (I could never get into Spy -- trying to fool people is too stressful for me.)

I can identify with the sentiment. Demoman often hit the sweet spot for me: you don't have to aim too well, and you can focus on setting traps instead of twitchy shooting.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Which of those buckets is Spy? (I could never get into Spy -- trying to fool people is too stressful for me.)
He was always one of the #1 target classes for me - "That guy's a spy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I can identify with the sentiment. Demoman often hit the sweet spot for me: you don't have to aim too well, and you can focus on setting traps instead of twitchy shooting.
Yeah, that was pretty much my go-to. And taking out people with clever grenade bank shots was oh-so-satisfying.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Is there not one thing

Urge to tank... Rising
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Every time Blizzard breaches forth into a new genre, it tends to completely redefine the genre as a whole (with the exception of Heroes of the Storm, maybe... but that game hasn't even reached beta yet). I'm really excited to see what they do with the FPS genre. Hopefully there will be a bitchin' single-player campaign, but if it's all multiplayer arena style gameplay, that'll be cool too.

I'm also hoping this game will NOT be riddled with freemium nonsense. If I have to spend battle.net points or whatever to unlock additional characters, I will flip my shit. I'm sick of doing that.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Inherently Stealthy

That trailer! So hype!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:14 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, I'd play this.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
That trailer! So hype!
!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM
EARTH FOREVER

"Hey.

"Hey. Hey. It's tf2 but they put a gorilla in it."
Old 11-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
You were there when blizz reinvented the action rpg and the mmo right?

E: talking to voncaster
I certainly won't argue that Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft are very influential and important games in gaming history.

However, Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo all began in the 90s. World of Warcraft launched in 2004. So in the past 10 years, would you generally classify Blizzard games as new design ideas or as refinements of their existing formulas? I understand business investments and the guarantee of ROI that franchises provide. But I think that also contributes to the safe/familiar vibe I feel when playing a blizzard game.

One could make the same argument for Nintendo. But I feel like Nintendo has more variety in their offerings than Blizzard.

Personally, I would classify Hearthstone as a Magic clone. It does some things differently, but I don't think that game exists without Magic.

Blizzard makes great games. But for me, there is a lack of the possibility that they will do something truly surprising now. Maybe that just comes with the territory of having a multi-million dollar (billion?) game dev business.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
They're already talking about how this will innovate in terms of branching out from pure twitch-shooter gameplay. Read the Polygon article linked a few posts up.
There's plenty of examples in the gameplay video too. It looks like some of the melee heroes use (switch to?) a third-person action PoV, for example.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Placeholder

One of the map is King's Row.

Ok.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Blizzard makes great games
You're all over the place with what you say you're looking for. If you want solid, even great, design then I can point you at almost any title they've released in their history (possible exceptions: Rock N Roll Racing, Cataclysm). If you want innovative design then let's talk about the refinements they added to MMOs, action rpgs (three times), RTSs, card games and action puzzlers. If you want... I don't know, earth shattering and transgressive exploration of just what a game can be I guess you're fucked with any publisher not named The Fullbright Company or Ice-Pick Lodge
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
For having clearly talented staff, a mash up of TF2 and Pixar Art doesn't communicate creativity in game design to me.
as compared to riffing on warhammer for 20 years?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

When people say this game has Pixar art, is that a sarcastic put-down about how the golden age of Pixar is over? Or are they using "Pixar" the way someone who wants a tissue might as for a "Kleenex"? Maybe it's just that "Team Fortress + direct to video Dreamworks sequel art" is too clunky of a phrase?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
When people say this game has Pixar art, is that a sarcastic put-down about how the golden age of Pixar is over? Or are they using "Pixar" the way someone who wants a tissue might as for a "Kleenex"? Maybe it's just that "Team Fortress + direct to video Dreamworks sequel art" is too clunky of a phrase?
I think it looks like a TV CG kid's show. That trailer looked bad. The in-game stuff looks worse.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Venturing into ads!

From the CG trailer, I definitely get a Pixar-esque vibe... likely due to the inclusion of the kids as a focal point. From the reactions I've seen online so far, I haven't seen any with sarcasm.

To be fair, I believe some people have been proclaiming the "golden age" of Pixar to be over since after the original Toy Story came out (whereas the majority of detractors seem to target the Disney buyout).
Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
You're all over the place with what you say you're looking for. If you want solid, even great, design then I can point you at almost any title they've released in their history (possible exceptions: Rock N Roll Racing, Cataclysm). If you want innovative design then let's talk about the refinements they added to MMOs, action rpgs (three times), RTSs, card games and action puzzlers. If you want... I don't know, earth shattering and transgressive exploration of just what a game can be I guess you're fucked with any publisher not named The Fullbright Company or Ice-Pick Lodge
I should say I don't play WoW or any other MMO, so my view of Blizzard is colored by only playing Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft.

I respect Blizzard from a polish and business standpoint. From a fan of games there is a sameness that I experience from playing their games. This is perhaps an unfair criticism, because Nintendo and From Software can release very similar games and it does not bother me much. Konami could put out a 2D Castlevania game with minimal changes and I would be excited about it.

But with Blizzard for whatever reason, it feels like same game new year to me. (But this ones an FPS!) The Metzen-Dieder-Games Workshop story lines about evil being an ancient lovecraft type evil don't help in making their games feel unique either.

Probably the best way I can explain it is like this. Madden is released every year. I know that Madden is technically well made and has innovations in it for the sports world. But I just can't get excited about it. I'm not a football guy and I'm not a Madden gamer.

I liked Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft. And I still do, but its increasingly diminishing returns for me. I like RPGs, but Blizzard's universes largely fail to ignite my imagination when I play them. I personally, don't get overly excited by Blizzard games. And so my reaction to Overwatch is not as enthusiastic as most people I suppose.

I'll not hijack the Overwatch thread anymore, as my view largely has to do with Blizzard as a whole and not this particular game.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I dunno. Game looks fun, but nothing earth shattering. It sorta looks like someone duct taped all of the TF2 MvM upgrades onto characters, threw them into normal TF2 gameplay, and then put Blizzard character coat of paint on it. As someone who's played a lot of shooters, I'm also a little wary of Blizzard making one. It takes a lot to get a shooter that feels right, and if anyone can do it first try it's them...but still. Kinda nervous about that.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch