The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-02-2014, 07:28 PM
That Pokemon Guy

My KH2 Gummi ship was a X-Wing!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

I liked the KH series, in any case. Never beat the first one (and don't remember playing it for long), but I did beat the second one, and multiple times. It was a really fun ride all the way through; at least, that's what I thought. The story's kinda weird, but I really liked it - it was more emotional than most RPG stories, to be honest.

Got DDD, but haven't beaten it yet. Gotta get back to it at some point.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:41 PM
crochet enthusiast

I'm completely excited for II.5, but I will admit to not really bothering to understand anything about the story after that point. Even reading the aforementioned googledoc that is essentially a thumbnail theatre type thing, at some point with all of the double and triple identities and whatnot it just went completely off the rails and I stopped tracking completely.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 PM
That Pokemon Guy

"Okay Ansem, in this scene, you'll be playing the part of Riku playing the part of Ansem. Also, you're not called Ansem anymore."
Old 11-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Video World 14 is out!

I don't think there's a game in this series that I don't like, but I am yet to put much time into 3D. I've probably played Chain of Memories through more times than strictly necessary. The GBA version, not the atrocious PS2 effort.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:29 AM
#deadfish2017

What makes the PS2 version bad?

(Aside from it being a Kingdom Hearts game)
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
What makes the PS2 version bad?
Game is already complicated enough without the added hassle of 3D, of camera control, of not being able to see everything on the screen at once.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
"Okay Ansem, in this scene, you'll be playing the part of Riku playing the part of Ansem. Also, you're not called Ansem anymore."
The general Kingdom Hearts "solution" for digging too many holes is digging even more holes.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM
crochet enthusiast

On the note of CoM on PS2 I'm totally fine with it. Once you get used to the whole card system it's as manageable as the GBA one with better production values and all. But that still doesn't exactly make it a great game though.

1.5 drove me nuts as a trophy whore because of those absurd gimmick ship challenges though. I never put much time into it though because some of them just seemed like a good way to have a coronary.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Jump and shoot?

I played Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time last year. Upon reaching the Mad Hatter's room, I found an empty table and a portrait of the people who were sitting there in the movie.

I feel like that says everything I need to about the experience.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Video World 14 is out!

You feel wrongly
Old 11-08-2014, 12:21 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I've been watching a blind LP of Kingdom Hearts 1.5. It's funny because the guy gets lost so easily and you want to scream at him "check the door you ignored!"

...so basically, I know how know the audience of my Super Metroid LP felt.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I've decided that Wonderland is the worst world.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Highway To HFIL

Every time somebody complains on the internet that it's easy to get lost in these games my reaction is "hey have you maybe tried walking in a straight line and/or going to that huge landmark that the game explicitly tells you to visit"
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Binglebottom

It's pretty bad. The wallpaper theme is... I don't get it. But then I don't understand a lot of the decisions the team made for realizing the Disney worlds. Like most of Monstro's insides being a bunch of splotchy room-like rooms. They just totally abandon the idea that you're inside of a living creature after the first interior. I mean, it doesn't have to be accurate or realistic, but why bother even having that be a part of the game if "Going Inside of the Whale from Pinocchio" is an empty formality?

I think getting lost in Kingdom Hearts is pretty understandable. There are a lot of unintuitive sequences of events you have to go through that pretty much can only be figured out by wandering around and obsessively checking and re-checking rooms and Points of Interest. One example is in the room with the sunken ship in Atlantica, where you have to swim down to a corner and target an Unknown behind a wall of rock to get examinational text from your character who’s just as perplexed about what the hell you’re targeting as you are. Later, once Sebastian is tagging along, you need to know to return to this spot, because... only a royal crab can move a gigantic prohibitive stone?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm still not sure what the plot to these games is but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing them.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I don't think there is a single person who really understands the plot.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Highway To HFIL

I do! It's not that complicated, to me!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I'm still not sure what the plot to these games is but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy playing them.
This should be a box quote.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I do! It's not that complicated, to me!
Please tell me who Anslem is.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Every time somebody complains on the internet that it's easy to get lost in these games my reaction is "hey have you maybe tried walking in a straight line and/or going to that huge landmark that the game explicitly tells you to visit"
Later games, sure, but KH1 has a lot of mazey worlds and NO MAPS. Also there are plenty of points where they don't tell you where to go. Monstro gets a pass because that's its entire gimmick, but half the levels are a pain to navigate and Deep Jungle can straight up go fuck itself. I have played the game three times, and every time I have gotten lost in Deep Jungle. You have no idea how many times I travelled up to that godforsaken treehouse only to find out that it's not where I was supposed to go.

I don't like KH1 very much. But I remember enjoying KH2 and thought BBS was pretty darn great. I also have no idea what's going on in the story.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
KH's terrible lore lecture (I enjoy a lot of things with dumb stories):

Ansem is two people, one of them is the real one, he appeared in Kingdom Hearts 2 (and maybe BBS in some capacity, I don't recall) as DiZ and is an unpleasant person by that point but is the former benevolent ruler/researcher of Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion. The other ansem is his student who pretended to be him for reasons that have little logical explanation as I recall. That student is the main villain of every game so far and his real name is Xehanort, fun fact, 3D's plot was about him deciding there just aren't enough versions of him running around and deciding that he needed to turn Sora into another Xehanort.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM
-ryn

my wife's sister played KH1 and I saw it and immediately wanted to play it. I bought a copy and didn't even have a PS2. I had to convince my roommate to bring his PS2 from home. he didn't have a car so I had to drive him home to get it.

KH2 was a lot tougher for me to get into. I boot it up and start playing the Roxas bit and just immediately want to quit playing. If I can get through the roxas part, I enjoy the game from there.

I really liked CoM once I figured it out. Basically, I'd organize my cards into pre-programed sleighs that I could rapid fire through. At the end of the deck I'd keep special cards like zero cards and heals. I didn't even know there was a PS version of it. I played on GBA.

I do not currently own KH2 and I never played BBS. when I didn't really get drawn into KH2 as much, I just quit keeping up with the series... Maybe i'll consider getting 2.5...
Old 11-17-2014, 06:32 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
To elaborate on Fanboymaster to the tune of 1,500 or so words…

Here’s the full run-down on “Ansem”, in chronological, Kingdom Hearts history order. Spoilers listed by game for the six people that care.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance – “Ansem” started out as Xehanort, a terribly named young man who became a keyblade master. Fun fact: Xehanort is from Destiny Islands, the same home planet/island as the KH protagonist, Sora, and I’m sure the series will never use this fact as a last minute plot “twist”. Anyway, Xehanort was granted time travel powers by his future self, in a lovely predestination paradox that seems to be the only crossover with Gargoyles that KH is going to commit to. More about Young Man Xehanort will be covered in the second Dream Drop Distance section, but suffice it to say he somehow fails (despite having time travel powers and seeming control over, basically, the universe), and grows up into…

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep – Young Man Xehanort becomes Old Man Xehanort, as voiced by Leonard Nimoy. Since the entirely of Birth by Sleep is basically the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (obviously foreshadowing Disney’s eventual acquisition of the Star Wars Universe) Old Man X is basically Emperor Palpatine. OMX spends the entire game as a “kindly old keyblade master” who is so dripping with evil he is literally followed by unimaginable monsters, though the heroes of the tale kind of don’t notice. Over the course of the game, the mysterious Mr. X first tried to pull Keyblade Apprentice Ventus (the original Sora) over to the darkside, but failed, and simply created a bizarro clone of Ventus named Vanitas (the first clone of Sora). Vanitas was a bust for some reason, so then Darth Xehanort moved on to tempting Keyblade Apprentice Terra over to the world of evil. This actually succeeded because Terra loved his friends so much he just had to kill Obi-Wan (as played by Mark Hamill).

Now this is where it gets complicated: Old Man Xehanort was using Terra the entire time so the old man could gain a young man’s body. Wait, phrasing, Xehanort wanted to literally possess the body of Terra, and did so. So Terra’s soul got suppressed or something, and Old Man Xehanort became Terra-Xehanort for a hot minute. This led to Keyblade Apprentice Aqua beating Terra-Xehanort so hard he literally could not remember who he was. Amnesiac-Terra-Xehanort is then discovered by Ansem the Wise, who immediately disproves his own name and hires Amnesiac-Terra-Xehanort as his assistant, thus transforming the villain into Lab Coat Xehanort.

Kingdom Hearts I / II Backstory – Lab Coat Xehanort basically becomes the magical Dr. Mengele of the Square universe. In an act that can only occur in backstory and must never be seriously analyzed, Lab Coat Xehanort turns Ansem the Wise’s entire staff into a bunch of crazy monsters, tosses Ansem the wise into the Realm of Darkness, steals Ansem’s name despite the fact that he is surrounded by people who knew the original Ansem, and then “unlocks the darkness in his own heart” or whatever and splits himself into two separate beings, Heartless Ansem and Nobody Xemnas.

Kingdom Hearts I – Heartless Ansem, calling himself Ansem, orchestrates the entirety of Kingdom Hearts I, attempting to swallow the entire KH universe into darkness, because that’s what you do when you’re the pure darkside of an already bad guy. Heartless Ansem clashes with the newest keyblade wielder, Sora, who has the sleeping soul of Ventus in there for whatever reason. Sora’s rival is another keyblade wielder, Riku, who once received the key-blessing of Terra. Riku is eventually totally possessed by Heartless Ansem, because Ansem-Xehanort can’t seem to get enough of this whole “possessing random teenagers” bit. At around that point, Sora is transformed into a Heartless by Heartless Ansem-Riku, but Sora recovers; however this random bit leads to the creation of Nobody Roxas, which will be important (sorta) later. Anyway, Sora beats Heartless Ansem senseless with his keyblade, Riku is freed of Ansem’s control, and Heartless Ansem is evaporated by the light that is Kingdom Hearts. Heartless Ansem is dead and gone forever.

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories & 358/2 Days – Meanwhile, toward the end of KHI, Nobody Xemnas (the seventh “Ansem”) grabs Nobody Roxas (the fourth Sora) for his own nefarious purposes. Xemnas has this whole group of Ansem the Wise’s former trainees, called Organization XIII, and they’re all interested in turning the moon into a heart or something, because they're Nobodies without emotions, and that makes them sad and angry. So Sora is led into Castle Oblivion, where he must fight another Sora clone, about half of Organization 13, and then have his memory erased, because amnesia is the grease that keeps the wheels of Kingdom Hearts rolling. Riku is thrust into the basement of the castle, and finds that he now has the ability to transform into Heartless Ansem. So, to be clear, Riku is another Ansem. Riku also meets DiZ, which stands for… seriously? okay… Darkness in Zero. DiZ is secretly Ansem the Wise, now cosplaying as Batman’s lesser nemesis, Hush.

But while this is all happening, Xemnas has inducted Roxas into Organization 13. Roxas is, ya know, doing whatever, chilling, eating ice cream, hanging with his buddy Xion, that kind of thing, for about a year. Then all heck breaks loose when it turns out that Xion was secretly a failed clone of Roxas (so, Sora #5, #6 if you count that other clone). Because you can only photocopy a photocopy so many times, Xion kind of breaks down into nonexistence so hard no one even remembers she was ever alive, and Roxas has a giant freak-out that leads to Riku going full Dark Ansem just in time to make the opening of Kingdom Hearts 2 REALLY confusing.

Kingdom Hearts 2- Roxas is now trapped in The Matrix by DiZ and Dark Ansem-Riku. Roxas realizes he’s The One after a very exciting essay on “what I did on my Summer vacation”, and then pretty much ceases to exist just in time for Sora to come back to be the hero. The remaining members of Organization XIII go stomping around the universe, generally stirring up trouble, and Sora beats them down in turn. Finally, Nobody Xemnas reveals himself as being behind everything, and it’s all another ploy to create Kingdom Hearts, or find Kingdom Hearts, or something or other. What’s important is that DiZ, aka Ansem the Wise, sacrifices himself to transform Dark Ansem-Riku back into Shadow the Hedgehog Regular-Riku, and then Riku and Sora just straight up murder Nobody Xemnas, because he didn’t have a heart anyway, so it’s okay. This means that, finally, the last Ansem is dead, and the galaxy is at peace.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (again) – Except not so much. Death in the Kingdom Hearts universe is kind of confused: If someone is split into a heartless and a nobody, and then the heartless and nobody are killed, it becomes some kind of double negative thing, so the original “person” comes back to life. In Xehanort’s case the whole of the universe had a compile error or something, and it spat out another twelve or so Xehanorts. Seriously, Old Man Xehanort came back to life, and then used previously-never-mentioned time travel abilities to stock his all-new, all-better Organization 13 with at least four other versions of himself (“himself” now being a word that has absolutely no meaning). Two other Org XIII members are hangers on from the last Org, and the other six are mysteries because we’ve gotta have something to speculate on before the release of Kingdom Hearts 3. Xehanort (the young one, I think) tried to possess Sora and make him member #13, thus joining the great line of Too Many Soras with The Ansems All The Way Down, but he failed, as Xehanorts are want to do.

And now we’re all gearing up for the final KH chapter as the forces of light (Soras) battle the forces of darkness (Ansems) for the final fate of… wait… there are Disney characters in this franchise?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Come, noble knights!

I read the entirety of that Ansem summary and now my brain hurts. I miss that all too brief, innocent time when Ansem was just your standard villain out of nowhere before the sequels happened and Kingdom Hearts lore became so convoluted it made Lost look like it makes perfect sense.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Now can someone tell me why Triton knows about Sora when no one else in the first game did?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM
BadAce Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I don't think there's a game in this series that I don't like, but I am yet to put much time into 3D.
The DS games included? I haven't heard good thing one about those.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
To elaborate on Fanboymaster to the tune of 1,500 or so words…
Double-Negative Young Labcoat Xehasnort should really find Chrono Cross' FATE and discuss the finer points of a simple and clean villainous plan, concise motivation, and gothy wardrobes.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
McBear

Oh god. I'm taking sanctuary before the pun storm starts up.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Get where you won't hear them, like under the sea.

Tags
all hail gogglebob , anime hair , belts belts belts , darkness , gogglebob explains it all , gogglebob4president , kingdom hearts , kingdumb hearts , secret best poster , the hydra's back , zippers