The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Smudged

Default Hola, amiibo

amiibo Hunting spreadsheet here

Nintendo revealed their NFC figures in the style of Skylanders and I'm not sure what to think of them. I thought they were going to announce an NFC-specific title which uses the figures, but as of right now they'll function as add-ons to otherwise complete games.

Their integration into Smash Bros. looks like a virtual pet you nurture through a steady diet of knuckle sandwiches, which basically boils down to an AI opponent who slowly gets better. Not exactly as entertaining as Skylanders, where the figure is a character you control, but then it's not as strict, either, because no playable characters are locked behind figures, they just unlock a little mini-game which may be entertaining or may be boring.

So far the games announced which will support amiibo are Smash, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad, and Yoshi's Wooly World. Nintendo mentioned in the past that the plan was for the figures to work with different games in different ways, but the figures in the video look like they have Smash logos on their bases, which makes me wonder if they're only going to work with Smash. I assume the Samus figure won't unlock playable Samus in Mario Kart, so will there be a bunch of amiibo series that only work with a specific game, and only in limited ways? It would be dumb to buy a Mario amiibo that doesn't work with Mario Kart.

So the limited application they've shown isn't very inspiring, but then, I don't think Nintendo would want to lock a core experience behind a toy requirement anyway. But that approach would undermine the whole Skylanders business model so... I'm getting kind of an e-Reader vibe from these things. I'm skeptical that they'll have anywhere near the success of Skylanders or Disney Infinity without a dedicated game space. That said, of course I will buy one or two, because they look neat.

Last edited by Sprite; 05-27-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
So far the games announced which will support amiibo are Smash, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad, and Yoshi's Wooly World. Nintendo mentioned in the past that the plan was for the figures to work with different games in different ways, but the figures in the video look like they have Smash logos on their bases, which makes me wonder if they're only going to work with Smash. I assume the Samus figure won't unlock playable Samus in Mario Kart, so will there be a bunch of amiibo series that only work with a specific game, and only in limited ways? It would be dumb to buy a Mario amiibo that doesn't work with Mario Kart.
They specifically called out those figures as being usable in multiple games (and I believe the announcement said that only those ones will be out at the feature's launch), so I imagine the branding just says what series they came out in; much like how Skylanders has a series brand, even though (some) characters are backwards compatible.

Also, maybe there is a Samus driver in MK8, and you just won't know until you put the Amiibo on the gamepad...! I think the digital event said that the Amiibo implementation for Mario Kart is similar to Smash, in that it'll be learning AI drivers.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM
I. Love. It.

I've missed the bus on the entire Skylanders/Disney Infinity nonsense and I don't really know a lot about either, so the whole Amiibo thing doesn't really click with me one way or the other. But

Quote:
That said, of course I will buy one or two, because they look neat.
They're worth at least this much to me, yeah. Put out a nice Bowser, Ganon, or Wario and I'll gladly buy them just for that.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
is Earnest

It doesn't sound like a feature that appeals to me, but I hope Nintendo sells a million of them anyway and keeps making games where they are not a requirement.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I get the logic behind it: Instead of being franchise specific, Amiibos will add features to most first party library of Nintendo, giving the figurines more value than having to wait for the next franchise installment. How that works in practice? I don't know, I'm not a marketing guy. But I see where Nintendo is going with it.

This isn't my thing either, but it is my girlfriend since she's a big toy person - so she gets to indulge her hobby plus get a little bit more out of our game collection, so it's a win-win for her and Nintendo toy collectors. That's still too niche of a market to justify a toy line, though.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

Gol darnit, Nintendo, I'm trying to REDUCE the amount of plastic geegaws around my home.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:39 AM
y cant axiom crawl?

Quote:
So the limited application they've shown isn't very inspiring, but then, I don't think Nintendo would want to lock a core experience behind a toy requirement anyway. But that approach would undermine the whole Skylanders business model so... I'm getting kind of an e-Reader vibe from these things.
Yeah, I'm not really getting a read on the value proposition for the customer, or what Nintendo sees as the business model.

The other NFC collectible games are pretty clear with the customer that buying the game is just the starter, and you need to buy additional figures as "boosters" to get the full experience (the value of the game is that it is an excuse to buy toys). The business model is also clear: the real money is in the figures, and the game is just there to get people invested.

Nintendo's current approach seems to be to have the figures add only marginal value (who actually cares about a pet AI fighter/racer?), but do so across multiple titles. It almost seems like they want the NFC figures to drive sales of their games, rather than the other way around.

It will be hard for them to increase the perceived value of the figures without making it appear that they are gating access to parts of a game behind them.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Let's step back a moment and look at the big picture.

We now live in a world where the Wii Fit Trainer is a collectible figurine.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Let's step back a moment and look at the big picture.

We now live in a world where the Wii Fit Trainer is a collectible figurine.
This is an important point and one we should keep in mind.

Just give me a Mr. Game & Watch amiibo and I'll call the whole experiment a success.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

Over/under on a Club Nintendo platinum-exclusive amiibo figurine?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Nintendo revealed their NFC figures in the style of Skylanders and I'm not sure what to think of them. I thought they were going to announce an NFC-specific title which uses the figures, but as of right now they'll function as add-ons to otherwise complete games.
And that's how it should stay. I don't need to buy a $60 game only to have it force me to keep shelling out cash to enjoy the core experience.

However, when it's a completely optional thing, and the ideal is to only pick up one or two of them, then and only then do you have my interest.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Smudged

I agree that they should be optional, I just hope that Nintendo can come up with something more compelling and fun than a CPU opponent/team mate. They're so ancillary at this point that there's no reason to buy one unless you just like how the figure looks.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM

I'm guessing with these figurines, they're going to move more into F2P games, where you buy the figurines to play as additional characters or stages, etc.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I assume the Samus figure won't unlock playable Samus in Mario Kart
That would be the Doomsday Scenario right there.

The Smash AI thing is actually in a nice spot where it's kinda cool for 10 year olds while being easy to ignore for adults. Hopefully that's where they're going to keep aiming.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Out Of Warranty

Who cares about game integration? There's a top notch, officially sanctioned Samus figurine right there, with full power armor. Day one.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

As much as I am wary to fill my house with these things, Mr. Brain makes a very compelling argument.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Espurrs are proud.

How is the Mr. Game and Watch Amiibo going to work

How easy will it be to just

snap it

I'm a bit curious about multi-game integration - if I use my Mario figure in Smash most of the time and then load him into Mario Kart, is he gonna be more aggressive, or have some of his learned tactics from Smash carry over somehow?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 AM

I'm going to engage in some armchair market speculation here. In Skylanders and Disney Infinity, you play as your figurines and level them up that way (if I understand correctly). AI controlled partners seems like a departure that could lead to amiibo being far less popular in the sense that customers might actually be satisfied buying only a few figurines (like just their favorite characters). The prospect of buying more and more figurines makes a lot more sense when buying each figurine represents, essentially, buying more playtime. Players probably find a sense of accomplishment in leveling up a new figurine. The prospect of buying a new AI partner feels more like buying a new piece of equipment in a RPG or something.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 AM
Frozen Custard Trooper

However, if they decide at some point to create an amiibo focused game, then they become far more useful than Skylanders etc which are only relevant in those headline games.

I think the initial sale will be tougher with these from a game accessory stand point due to the reasons you stated, particularly compared to Disney Infinity, where both sets of characters are iconic enough to stand on their own. But I guess I'd have to see how many figures of what is bought are actually used in games versus just collected.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Espurrs are proud.

I'm just gonna c/p a Skype discussion here, because it seems relevant. (I am Chartreuse Temporean Ben)

Quote:
[9:50:09 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: so, figures will be usable across games right
[9:50:22 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: so can what you do in one game affect the amiibo in another
[9:50:36 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: like, can the tactics ive taught mario in smash carry over to mario kart somehow
[9:50:59 AM] Emiya Raz: I dunno, maybe.
[9:51:16 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: even if just in terms of affecting its
[9:51:16 AM] Emiya Raz: I figured its more the stats then tactics, but even that's a toss up like
[9:51:20 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: personality, somehow
[9:51:30 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: so to speak
[9:51:32 AM] Emiya Raz: How do Smash stats translate to Mario Kart or Mario Party, I wonder
[9:52:02 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: like, "youve taught mario to go on the defensive in smash, so now he's gonna try to take shortcuts in mario kart and avoid risks in mario party"
[9:52:17 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: you sort of give the amiibo its own personality and tactics
[9:52:40 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: ...now i want a game where you can put your amiibos in like a seinfeld-style apartment together
[9:52:58 AM] Chartreuse Temporean Ben: like tomodachi life but your characters' day jobs are kart racing and arena fighting
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 AM
borgn

I had some comments on amiibo in another thread as soon as they were announced, but can't find the other thread and they have been reiterated by others in this new one.

I have already thunk your thinks.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
How is the Mr. Game and Watch Amiibo going to work

How easy will it be to just

snap it
Game and Watch has bridged the third dimension before....

Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I have already thunk your thinks.
all our thinks?!?!

*panics*

th-that's not admissible in a court of law bucko
Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
all our thinks?!?!

*panics*

th-that's not admissible in a court of law bucko
Don't worry, I know how to keep secrets. For a price.

You still doing those rhubarb preserves...?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Game and Watch has bridged the third dimension before....

Yes, but Mr. G&W as he appears in Smash is very specifically 2-dimensional, and having a 3D G&W next to the rest of the Smash cast is gonna look weird.

I predict they'll make the figure exactly as thin as it can be without being at risk of breaking.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
I'm a bit curious about multi-game integration - if I use my Mario figure in Smash most of the time and then load him into Mario Kart, is he gonna be more aggressive, or have some of his learned tactics from Smash carry over somehow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takahashi
To get technical, the amiibo is able to store data, and within the full data set you have this much data (mimics a large space with his pointer finger and thumb) which is reserved for Smash Bros. But then you have a subset of data (mimics roughly half of the space from the previous example) that says this is the Mario figure. Smash Bros will use the big chunk of data in the Smash Bros. amiibo, but the other games are able to read that this is a Mario figure through this other set of data that identifies the character, and that is how the characters are able to interact with the Mario amiibo.

When you use the Smash Bros. Mario amiibo in Smash Bros., it's able to do all of the different things designed for that game. When you take that amiibo and you use it in different games, it's not the Smash Bros. Mario, it's just a Mario. It's a more simple use for [amiibo functionality] but it's able to do those two things.
From this interview. In other words, an amiibo may have cross-game integration, but will have more simplistic uses in games it wasn't primarily designed for.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
..and his little cat, too

This topic title has me wondering why they didn't go with "amiigo," which sounds more like the word for friend, rather than "amiibo," which sounds like a single-celled organism.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
This topic title has me wondering why they didn't go with "amiigo," which sounds more like the word for friend, rather than "amiibo," which sounds like a single-celled organism.
I would guess that just "amiigo" was to close to the word "amigo" and perhaps they'd have difficulty getting a trademark on it? I kind of hope there would be some objection to trying to trademark a common word, even if it was spelled slightly differently than the real word.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

What, you mean like "Wii"?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
What, you mean like "Wii"?
Perhaps "Wii" and "Mii" are far enough from "We" and "Me" in how they read visually that it wouldn't be an issue?

I was just guessing that just "amiigo" might be to close that a trademark would be denied, who knows what Nintendo might have tried before settling on Amiibo.

Does anyone know if Nintendo has the trademark on just "Wii" and "Mii"? Or is it something like "Nintendo Wii"?

Tags
amiibo , animal double-crossing , chip shortage , conspicuous consumption , i can quit anytime i want , impossible to buy , mario peach link , nintendo , physical dlc , scalping , short for amoeba amigos , shut up and take my money , smash trophies for real , thin edge of the wedge , where solid snake at , yarn yoshi is best amiibo