The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Love and Peace

I'm liking it so far, but the overall design aesthetic for the expansions seems to be MORE BOTTOMLESS PITS MORE MORE MORE so I'm going very slowly.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 AM

I finished it last night, and greatly enjoyed my time with it. I still prefer the main campaign, but this was excellent. That Horace bit proved a bit easier, especially since my nerves were calmed a bit more after completing it once. I did it on my third attempt at home, and yes, the reward is complete garbage.

I really like the dash slash. It's tons of fun to operate over all the pits and chain together slashes perfectly to avoid certain doom. It's also a lot of fun to use against bosses, where you can pretty much tank them if you stay in the air and keep popping them with the slash. I ripped most of them apart, except for The Enchantress, which required a few life-restoring moments.

The wall climb took some time to get used to. I had a habit of wanting to hit the jump button to climb up, which of course springs you off the wall. Once I was able to suppress that urge, I didn't have too much issue with the control, although Specter's clingy nature can make things a little frustrating at times.

Totally worth the wait.

Oh, final stats: 47 deaths, about half of which were intentional because I missed things in the stages at points. I finished at 5:15, with a large chunk of that time spent on the Horace mini-game... and got 100% items in about five minutes after popping back into the game.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
First bit of disappointment with the game as I feel kind of left out that I don't get to play it yet because I didn't buy a new system.

Say that with the knowledge that that is a super dumb and petty feeling as I've basically gotten 3 full games for the price of one and I just have to wait a minute and not be a baby.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Definitely not a werewolf

Just finished Specter of Torment. It was pretty great. I think that the wall climb mechanics are kind of a miss, though. Even after I got the hang of them, I was still having occasional mishaps. They're just not super intuitive. Like the polar opposite of the wall climbing mechanics in the Mega Man X games.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Love and Peace

And that's a wrap! I liked it much better than Plague Knight's scenario, but that's like saying you like precious gold more than valuable silver.

The Hover Plume saved me so many times in Propeller Knight's crappy stage for stupid jerks. The rest of the relics might as well not have really existed for me after I collected them, but I bet someone out there had fun with them.

I... never found the secret room or the minigame, and I didn't get the achievement for speaking to every recruit, even though I know I did (unless you have to speak to all of the NPCs milling around the place in which case nobody's got time for THAT.)

If you smack one of the pink globes in the room above the magic mirror at the treasure dog, he'll give you a pile of cash and you can watch him play with it!
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
If you smack one of the pink globes in the room above the magic mirror at the treasure dog, he'll give you a pile of cash and you can watch him play with it!
If you drop the lantern on the knight in that room enough times, he will reveal his true nature.

The secret room can be found most easily by breaking the upper right wall in the parapet room (where you spawn). You could also probably use the Hover Plume to get to it by floating over the left wall from the banquet hall.

The minigame is brutal, though, and apparently unrewarding.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Yuuuup. If y'all want me to spoil it...

You unlock a feat and get 1700 in cash. That's it.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Definitely not a werewolf

Also, once you've unlocked Specter Knight's emote, I recommend you go show the 'Edge Farmer who's boss.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 AM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
If you drop the lantern on the knight in that room enough times, he will reveal his true nature.

The secret room can be found most easily by breaking the upper right wall in the parapet room (where you spawn). You could also probably use the Hover Plume to get to it by floating over the left wall from the banquet hall.

You can do that second method with no curios, easily.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Specter Knight is hard.

Alt fact: I am not good at this game.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 PM
ePona: Horse Ride Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Alt fact: I am not good at this game.
So if I've been following the news correctly you're saying you'll be running this at SGDQ

Last edited by muteKi; 05-01-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: bolding to make the joke a little clearer
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
The whole game felt a little more like a trifle than the other two did, but not for lack of polish and good ideas. I just think there wasn't as much to be done with Specter's moveset. That jump slash was even crazier than the downshovel stab for quick killing bosses though, the only one I had any trouble with whatsoever was the Enchantress and she's stopped me on every campaign
I'm about 2/3 through and this is about how I feel so far, too. It's Real Good but something about it isn't quite clicking like Shovel and Plague did. So far I think it's Really Good, but it hasn't reached Delightful for me.

The wall climb feels a bit unhappily finicky, I think because it was more automated than typical wall jumps and climbs tend to be, so I would end up jumping off prematurely or jumping the wrong way pretty often. Getting used to a new mechanic is one thing, but getting used to a small but dramatic change to a familiar mechanic is another? Also, the relics seem a lot more powerful; the sniper explosion does a TON of damage, for instance. A couple bosses have ended up killing me once or twice, but at least one I crushed so fast I was shocked when the death animation played because I swore I hadn't hit him enough.

Items & Armors: I really like the idea of the slide-dash armor but when I put it on it ended up... not being all that useful in the actual levels. The attack charge armor could be good, but it seems to charge up too slowly to make it particularly useful or worth it, similar to the charge attack in Shovel. Relics, so far the heal is particularly useful, and the upgraded bouncing missile I've used to safely regain money drops or pick off annoying range more than a few times. The claw is okay for some good hard damage, but I'm not sure when or where the mirror will come in handy. The skeleton is weird and finicky to use but at least cranks out a lot of damage.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Spectre's New Game+ is a hell of a ride. Your health and magic is combined into one big bar, but it slowly ticks down, forcing you to move quickly and fight everything you can afford to. I can't get past Black Knight at the tower since he's out of my reach, and most of the relics don't seem to help much. I need to learn his pattern, and I'll probably save it for a rainy day. Still missing a skull in Propeller & Mole that I've combed the stages three times for. I'm not concerned with 100%, I just really want to know what takes up that last relic slot.

I'm a little disappointed that they added an option to change text flavor for the body swaps, but the dialogue itself doesn't change save for the pronouns. I mean, I guess its supposed to make a statement or something but I would have loved to see what kind of interactions could be created.

Lady Propeller has the best boots.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Items & Armors: The attack charge armor could be good, but it seems to charge up too slowly to make it particularly useful or worth it, similar to the charge attack in Shovel.
The key difference is that unlike Shovel Knight's charge armor, Specter Knight's version doesn't impede your movement while you charge. You can just always have a charge ready while you do your platforming.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM
James K Polk Bandito

Hey, the Treasure Trove update has hit the Wii U in NA now! Body Swap, Coop (minus the amiibo), and Specter of Torment are all available! Expected to hit the 3DS, PS4, PS3 and Vita next Tuesday the 25th.

Last edited by WildcatJF; 04-22-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Is SoT another ludicrously generous free update to the base game on Wii U?

I might start it up this weekend if so.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Yep. And not even the last.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM
Cool Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Has anyone got the update on 3DS yet? It updated to Treasure Trove and I downloaded that, I think, but when I launch it it's still only Plague of Shadows.
Did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem.

Fake edit: looking around some more I guess it doesn't come out on 3DS until the 25th. Oh well.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Inherently Stealthy

While I'm enjoying Torment... Yeah I agree that it feels like there isn't as much going on here as there is in plague. The homing slash is neat, as is the wall run... But the relics so far feel almost perfunctory?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Chief Servbot

The main problem with Torment is that both the Jump Slash and the relics are insanely overpowered. The platforming is incredible though. I really enjoyed this expansion!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Love and Peace

The relics were mostly perfunctory in Shovel of Hope too, so I wasn't all that bothered.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 PM
James K Polk Bandito

I tell you what, the Custom options attached to the amiibo is fucking game breaking in all the best ways. My replay has me running around in a black/magenta female Shovel Knight with shadow trails, a Fairy of Shovelry, the capability to double jump and Bomb jump like Plague Knight, and throwing around Infinitidaggers and Buzzsaw Boomerangs like a banshee. TOO MUCH FUN
Old 04-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
The relics were mostly perfunctory in Shovel of Hope too, so I wasn't all that bothered.
I felt like Shovel of Hope passed out some core options early on - a ranged attack and the mist amulet most notably - and then did fairly good at providing some extra movement options with the gear, claws, and propeller. These are... Healing and three ranged attacks plus a melee attack? And with the homing attack, having a ranged attack adds less?

I think the weirdest thing though is that Specter breaks blocks when he jumps. It just feels like it's there because they needed a down attack option? And has no real connection to anything else he does.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Chief Servbot

His feet are very pointy
Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Dinger!

So the update's supposed to be out today on 3DS, but I can't figure out to download it. Anybody have any luck?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
So the update's supposed to be out today on 3DS, but I can't figure out to download it. Anybody have any luck?
Yacht reported on twitter that they don't know why it isn't pushed out yet to people and they are looking into it.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
the :motion: stands

Craaap. I want to download this before my half-day flight to the emerald isle tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Tell me about your mother

For the digital version: try to search for Shovel Knight in the 3DS e-shop, then select "to update screen" on its store page. I'm downloading the update as I type this.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post
For the digital version: try to search for Shovel Knight in the 3DS e-shop, then select "to update screen" on its store page. I'm downloading the update as I type this.
This didn't work for me, but what did was going to the eShop menu > Settings/Other > Update. Either way— you'll know if you got the update if the icon changes.

god was this ever a hassle and a half to get. grumble grumble.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:57 PM

Glad to bring my Vita out of retirement to play this!

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club