The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

All of you got in and no one says hello? *pout*
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Drafting: keep most cards in the 2-4 range. Skew low for Warlock, higher for Priest and Paladin who can't rushdown well anyway.

Spellbreaker, Yeti, Faceless Manipulator, Shattered Sun Cleric, and Boulderfist Ogre are some high-priority all-class drafts. Weapons are almost always good, especially Truesilcer Champion.

There are lots of good resources out there for arena.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 PM

I'm a big fan of madbomber in draft, but that often ends up in a 50/50 situation.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
King Of Space-Time

I hada guy throw down two mad bombers and then quit when they mainly hurt him and his minions (I had no minions up at the time).
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM

That's the worst time to use a mad bomber! Say my opponent has 3 1/1 paladins chances are mad bomber will hit at least 1 of them.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:48 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I hada guy throw down two mad bombers and then quit when they mainly hurt him and his minions (I had no minions up at the time).
Your opponent was a certified moron.

Also, I think Paladin is capable of really great aggro games (re: Mogri). Also remember that weapons are best used as a method of board control. I see a lot of people strictly point them at my head as direct damage and they're losing a lot of utility by not taking out some of my dangerous creatures first.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:08 PM
le petite mort

Also I kept seeing the Venture Co Mercenary so high on pick lists and decided to give him a try. Couple runs later ... yeah, he actually is bananas. He's either gonna like 3-for-1 your opponent or be an enormous tick-down clock, or maybe eat some extremely premium removal. For five. :3c
Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM
gatchapon 3*

been playing for a few days, and so far it feels like magic lite. don't like that you have to click and drag everything, and hate that you can't block or interact on their turn, and not a fan of the fixed mana curve.

just unlocked all 10 base decks, so i guess i can start crafting my own decks now? how do you draft?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Your opponent was a certified moron.

Also, I think Paladin is capable of really great aggro games (re: Mogri). Also remember that weapons are best used as a method of board control. I see a lot of people strictly point them at my head as direct damage and they're losing a lot of utility by not taking out some of my dangerous creatures first.
Yeah, weapons are completely wasted if you're using them for direct damage, unless you just have way too many of them in your hand.

Still trying to level classes to 10. The Paladin precon is real garbage. As a general rule, if a creature has "Battlecry: Deal X damage" and its name isn't Fire Elemental, it's terrible. The basic Paladin deck is filled with those creatures.

So far, I'm a big fan of Warlock. Succubus? Blood Imp? Crazy! Maybe his late game is terrible, but you'd have to survive that long.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Still trying to level classes to 10. The Paladin precon is real garbage. As a general rule, if a creature has "Battlecry: Deal X damage" and its name isn't Fire Elemental, it's terrible. The basic Paladin deck is filled with those creatures.

So far, I'm a big fan of Warlock. Succubus? Blood Imp? Crazy! Maybe his late game is terrible, but you'd have to survive that long.
Stormpike Command is pretty solid, really. Elven archer isn't good, per say, but I feel like it possibly has a place in some mage/druid/rogue decks (though there's very few cards I wouldn't pick first).

Warlock's got Twisting Nether and Hellfire and can always draw another card for two life. A lot of the cards are super-aggro, but they have so much innate card advantage that you can play control with them pretty well.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 PM
gatchapon 3*

so what are the top commander types? i've been rocking mage and warrior so far.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
so what are the top commander types? i've been rocking mage and warrior so far.
Are you playing constructed or arena? I know Mage and Paladin are the actual bombs in limited. Priest is still tier one but they got nerfed a bit, so.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Rogue is my general favorite, but I'm also running the miracle rogue deck so that may be a bit biased.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Curious Young Gent

I just got a key for this the other day and after playing for a bit, thought I'd read through this thread again. Clearly I've not played enough, as I'm as confused as when I didn't have a key.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
been playing for a few days, and so far it feels like magic lite. don't like that you have to click and drag everything, and hate that you can't block or interact on their turn, and not a fan of the fixed mana curve.
Fixed resource generation is a hallmark of modern tcg design though. Magic.has never found a way around the mana screw and can't without a total rejection of it a core design.

I mean you like what you like, but preferring a random mana curve is like saying you prefer carbeurated engines - they're a mechanical throwback not likely to return
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
not a fan of the fixed mana curve.
Now I'm curious. What makes a Magic-style resource curve better for you?
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 PM
gatchapon 3*

Because it allows for interesting design space. I like mana acceleration and cheating lands into play.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Chief

Quote:
Because it allows for interesting design space. I like mana acceleration and cheating lands into play.
Have you tried Druid yet? They have a bunch of cards that can mess with the mana curve.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:17 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Now I'm curious. What makes a Magic-style resource curve better for you?
The real reason magic's mana system is actually good is because it makes limited (and especially draft) actually work, no specific rules for what you can/should run. I mean Hearthstone arena's fun but it's more like sealed. And I've never really played a dedicated drafting game that ever even approaches magic in terms of depth (like, none of them even bother with making you think about what you can wheel from a pack, stuff like 7 wonders has you never see a bunch of cards again after you make your choice).

Anyway, I pretty much prefer warlock to any of the other classes in Arena because card advantage. Though I don't seem to generally like to play as aggressively as most players prefer.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 PM

For arena Mage is my go to, simply because of the board wipe, and control.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM
King Of Space-Time

I have another beta key. Any takers?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:52 AM
For blood and gold

Finally got a chance to play this over the break. It's pretty great. I can definitely see it sucking up a lot of my time.

Tried the freebie arena and did pretty horrible (only one win, though my connection dropping is what caused my third loss). Interesting to read that Battlecry: Deal X damage cards aren't very good because I was still pretty much in my Magic mindset where 2-for-1s are good, so I picked a bunch of them. I think my real downfall was not picking enough Taunt minions in a deck that wasn't built to race.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM
TARANTUL

The battlecry:deal X damage guys are often too small and deal too little damage to two for one, is the thing. That's why the good ones are the 4/2 and Fire Elemental, both trade very well and deal more than one damage. The 2/2 and 1/1 only deal 1 damage, and 1 health creatures are generally marginal because Rogue/Mage/Druid can kill them with their class power.

Card advantage is still king, but board presence is way more important than magic since creatures are removal and since defending players can't choose to block your guys. Good two for one creatures give you board presence. Shieldmasta, the best vanilla taunt creature in the game by far, has stats that mean if you play him on turn four he'll usually two for one unless your opponent spends a hard removal spell or a damage dealing cantrip. Argent Commander could almost say "Deal four damage, put a 4/2 into play". Those are the kinda 2-1 cards that are really really good.

Ice Block is sorta crazy broken, huh? Just swapped a frost armor for one in my constructed deck and dear god.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:36 AM
gatchapon 3*

i'm so fucking bad at drafting in this game. I nearly had a dude last night with my 8/8, and he had a secret that changed my attack to someone at random, and it chose me, at 7 life.

argh.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
TARANTUL

I tend to hit about 5 wins and then it's wall to wall paladins who have decks way better than anything I've ever been able to get with that damn class.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
For blood and gold

Okay, I just spent my free time at work today reading Arena strategy and now I really want to go home and play.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 AM
For blood and gold

And then I get home and draft a pretty good mage deck and lose 0-3 to more experienced players with really good decks. (I did almost exhaust a Paladin, though, so that's something).
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I ended my Mage arena run 5-3 last night after some really close games. Best one was a Warrior where I had him down to 4 HP, but we both ran out of monsters and it was a slow race to see who could get something to stick on the field. I ended up running out of cards and just baaaarely squeezing a loss out of it.

I've just drafted up a Warlock I'm much less sure about.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
King Of Space-Time

I still think priests need a nerf.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Okay, I just spent my free time at work today reading Arena strategy and now I really want to go home and play.
What's a good site?

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft