The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
I. Love. It.

Default Card Games on Mechano-Hogs! Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

So Hearthstone is in Beta, and I got an invite. Actually I got an invite on the 28th, but I didn't notice it until now because Gmail shuffled it into the 'Promotions' folder. Doh.

Dunno how much longer the Beta will last, but I got a taste of the game so far. I've beaten all the tutorial matches, and have started unlocking all the other hero decks.

The game starts you with Jaina, the Mage hero. You have to beat each of the other eight heroes in Practice mode to unlock the ability to play their decks. After that, you can start unlocking 'quests' to do a certain number of wins per day with a certain deck or whatever to earn gold you can use to buy more card packs.

Or you can spend real cashmoney to buy packs (yes, even in Beta. Apparently any money you spend will be re-imbursed as new card packs when the real game launches, but the cards will be re-randomized). I sure as hell don't plan on spending real moneys on cards. This isn't a slam against the game's quality, I'm just not in the habit of spending money on virtual items, especially if there's a way to get them in-game, albeit slower.

But so far my impressions are good. The game has a really nice visual style, and all the heroes and characters are familiar to me, being a WoW player. Plenty of in-jokes too (like if you play the 'Raid Leader' card, he yells 'Handle it!'). I've never played Magic the Gathering or any of the other types of card games, I admit the most I know about the culture just comes from watching Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, but Hearthstone is straightforward and easy to pick up, but it seems challenging to master. Which is the sort of thing Blizzard likes to attempt, even if they don't always have success at it. Hearthstone might be on the success side of things, we'll see.

I'd love to eventually build a Warlock deck, but I can't put too much effort into that in the beta, since all my cards will go poof once it goes live and I'll have to restart from scratch.

Any other Tyrants in the Beta, or otherwise interested in picking it up when it comes out?
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Mad Overlord

Yep, I've been playing it, mostly sticking to the arena. I'm liking it a lot, but am probably going to shelve it until after the wipe.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 AM
King Of Space-Time

Wink

Until I get in, I am bound by the Nerd Code and the Unspoken Laws of Netiquette to secretly envy and openly hate you both.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Smudged

I like the idea of using in-game or real money to buy cards. The main thing that keeps me away from CCGs is the stacks of cash required to play, so something which doesn't require that would definitely catch my eye. And if a free-to-play game is reasonable enough I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it every now and again. Are all the same cards available to everyone, regardless of how the packs are purchased?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Are all the same cards available to everyone, regardless of how the packs are purchased?
I believe so. You can buy many more packs at once with cashmoney than blizzardbux, but the randomized contents should be the same regardless of how you get them.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Indelible Inkling

How similar is this to Scrolls? I'm investing time in that, and while I like it I also know blizzard has my number.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM
King Of Space-Time

Having seen Scrolls, it's much faster.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I like the idea of using in-game or real money to buy cards. The main thing that keeps me away from CCGs is the stacks of cash required to play, so something which doesn't require that would definitely catch my eye. And if a free-to-play game is reasonable enough I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it every now and again. Are all the same cards available to everyone, regardless of how the packs are purchased?
Yep, this seems to be one of the friendlier implementations of the CCG model that I've seen. For starters, there's a decent pool of cards freely available either immediately (for generic minions) or after playing a dozen-odd games per class to get it up to level 10. So when you're buying packs, you're getting customization and flexibility, not the basic building blocks you need to even make a deck.

Second, with the smaller deck size, there's a maximum of two copies of a card, and legendaries can only have a single copy. So there's no hunting down 4 copies of a rare you need for a deck.

If you want to avoid spending real money, you can still accumulate packs at a decent rate. Packs cost 100 gold, while arena entry costs 150 and gives you rewards including one guaranteed pack and a random amount of gold and crafting materials based on your number of wins. From what I've seen, you can "go infinite" by getting an average of 150 gold if you can consistently get 6-7 wins. But even if you're not doing that, you're pretty likely to get more than the 50 gold difference to make it worthwhile. And the daily quest rewards are around 20-40 gold, so it shouldn't take too long to get back up to 150.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM
100% All Original

I just want to say that I highly approve of the thread title and as a fan of children's card games I will try this when it comes out.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I. Love. It.

My playing of the beta has slowed a bit, not due to lack of interest but mostly due to the realization that I'm going to have to go through the tutorial and re-level all my decks up again once the real game comes out. That's the problem with getting too attached to a Beta.

But I do really dig it. I've never touched Magic or any CCG before but the game is super easy to pick up and learn, but tricky to master. Honestly, it seems my current skill level is pretty low since I still haven't unlocked all the decks (Paladin keeps trouncing me, but I haven't tried all the classes against it yet), but it's still super fun and stylish and the games are fairly quick. Except when your opponent runs down the clock trying to decide their next move. Or when you do it.

One of my favorite little touches is how the 'End Turn' button will turn green when there's nothing else for you to do. Once or twice I clicked it while it was still yellow and immediately realized 'oh crap I forgot to make that minion act'. Of course, sometimes you'll want to not exhaust all your moves, but the indication that 'welp, you're done' is nice.

Stuff I might like for inevitable additions/expansions: Death Knight and Monk decks, and additional heroes for each deck. Would be nice if you could chooce between a horde or alliance representative for each one. Also some more boards would be great, right now there's just a Stormwind board, an Orgrimmar board, a Stranglethorne Vale board, and a Pandaria board. One for Outland and Northrend would be great, and probably something for Cataclysm (I dunno, Vash'jir? Deepholm?) too.

But the important thing is that the core game works really well, extra bells and whistles can come later. Really looking forward to it going live.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Fuck. I just know I'm going to be spending way too much on this game if I play it. It looks so darn cool.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Mad Overlord

Yep, I've shelved it for now, but as soon as the wipe is done I'll be picking it up again.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 PM

It honestly plays a-lot like the now cancelled WoW tcg, but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Mad Overlord

Well, they both have the overall Magic-derived structure of playing creatures and attacking with them to reduce the opponent's life, but there's a ton of mechanical differences between the two games.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Gain a resource card each turn that does nothing other then provide the mana cost? (Check)
Damage retains on monsters? (Check)
WoW theme? (Check)
Characters define special abilities you can put in your deck as well allowing nearly all the same creatures be used by the same characters? (Check)

Not to mention that all of the cards use the same art as the WoW tcg for nearly the same identical cards.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Gain a resource card each turn that does nothing other then provide the mana cost? (Check)
Uncheck. WoWTCG's resource system was anything but automatic. The right choice of quests (one-time use powers) and locations (reusable powers) was crucial to deck construction, and there was also the difficult choice of what card from your hand to place as a resource (and not be able to play normally) when you ran out of dedicated resource cards. All of which is absent in HS's system of automatically gaining a generic resource point that doesn't come from your hand at all.

Quote:
Damage retains on monsters? (Check)
Sure, but that's essentially a default choice, not a distinguishing characteristic, especially for digital games that don't need to worry about bookkeeping. Of the recent/upcoming games I'm aware of, there's exactly one that doesn't adopt it (Hex, which is very closely modeled on Magic) and a solid dozen that do.

Quote:
WoW theme? (Check)

Not to mention that all of the cards use the same art as the WoW tcg for nearly the same identical cards.
The theme and art are presentational aspects, nothing to do with how it plays. And I can't think of a single art that's attached to identical cards in both games. There are some similarities due to representing similar things, but there are also a lot of differences in how things are interpreted.

Quote:
Characters define special abilities you can put in your deck as well allowing nearly all the same creatures be used by the same characters? (Check)
Broadly true, but implemented differently. There's no choice of factions, and no talent spec, both of which significantly changed your available card pool. More generally, Hearthstone makes class-specific creatures standard to all classes rather than limited to just the pet classes.

Significant elements in WoWTCG but not Hearthstone:
-Instant-speed effects / responses
-Manual protecting
-Activated abilities on cards in play
-Resource choices
-Ongoing abilities
-Equipment other than a weapon
-The need to be prepared with answers for the above types of cards
-Graveyard
-Offensive discard, mill, and resource destruction effects

Significant elements in Hearthstone but not WoWTCG:
-Positioning (lots of cards affect adjacent creatures)
-Random effects/targeting
-Reusable hero powers
-The Coin for the second player

Obviously there are some broad similarities, but there are more than enough differences to give Hearthstone its own identity.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 AM
King Of Space-Time

I'm in! I no longer am obligated to hate/envy you all.

I've unlocked the hunter, priest and rogue decks. One thing I've learned is if you can take a shot the opposing hero, do so early and often. I've won two matches where the opposing player built up to take singular massive hits, while I picked and chipped. I would like to see more graphical flourishes outside the main game. Maybe an animated portrait ala Dragon's Crown for the card shop, and when you first load into the game, you're shown to your table.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
the :motion: stands

Yay beta invite. Boo being matched against other people of your "skill level" but who have actually bought packs of cards so they have a lot of things that are completely missing from your kit because you haven't leveled up or bought cards yet. I've unlocked most of the other decks, and am trying to figure out who to main. I'm thinking Druid, because I like the choice aspect of their class cards.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 AM
I. Love. It.

I've heard that after the most recent wipe they don't intend on wiping your cards anymore, not even after it goes live. If this is true then people playing the Beta will get to keep any cards they buy (instead of having the cards refunded as gold and re-buying the same amount in random decks).

Don't know if this means they also keep their levels on their class decks or not. If so I may go back at it since my progress would be saved.

Though I re-opened the game yesterday and found that I still had to replay the tutorial. I mean, yeah, the tutorial gives you some free levels in the Mage deck but still, uuuuuugh.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I would love to play this game, but Blizzard has locked my b.net account and I really don't want to talk to a CSA about it.

Also it would take me months to get in once I did unlock my account.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:06 AM
the :motion: stands

I'd really like to know why the game won't let me edit my decks any more.

Now that I think about it, it started doing that when I named them.

That would be really damn stupid if that's what's going on.

EDIT: After years of Gmail, I've lost touch with the meaning of something being in Beta
Old 10-12-2013, 12:02 PM
:O

I haven't touched this, but I really want to. It sounds rad.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 AM
King Of Space-Time

NERF PRIEST DECKS.

Between Thoughtsteal, Mind Control and Dark Command, I feel like some jerk is copying my test answers. And don't get me started on those insta-kill cards...
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

You guys don't have spare beta keys, do you?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM
King Of Space-Time

I may know someone. I'll let you know...
Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I may know someone. I'll let you know...
Don't do me like this man !
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM
TARANTUL

Likewise, one of the guys I work with got into beta and it's killing me hearing him talk about it every day and not being able to try it out.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Don't do me like this man !
Ok. This is awkward... Can you and Mogri work it out? Turns out I do have a beta key I can give.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I'm carrying a positive karma balance. I can wait for the next key.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM

I swear this was the only roll I made, feel free to check for more.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4265741/

Quote:
Die roll for Mogri First Roll + Nodal Second Roll + Destil Third Roll

Rolled on: Oct. 20, 2013, 6:14 p.m.

1d100 → [14] = (14)
1d100 → [64] = (64)
1d100 → [22] = (22)

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft