The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Wait what sonic iOS remastered what??

So, how does it control? I've kinda given up on iOS platformers, and Sonic 1 isn't exactly the easiest game in the first place.
It's kinda slippery, but it's easier to be more precise if you make the virtual button/joystick larger.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Video World 14 is out!

I had no idea this photo was being taken and I look disgruntled as absolute fuck. See if you can spot me feeling the sheer horror of a room full of Sonic fans.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
It's kinda slippery, but it's easier to be more precise if you make the virtual button/joystick larger.
I found it was easier to make the joypad smaller, so my finger doesn't have to travel as far. It's well worth $3, at any rate. Even better if you have a bluetooth controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post

I had no idea this photo was being taken and I look disgruntled as absolute fuck. See if you can spot me feeling the sheer horror of a room full of Sonic fans.
I'm... I'm not comfortable staring too closely at this picture.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Space Prez

Uh, far right, next to the woman with green pants?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Even better if you have a bluetooth controller.
Does it have to be a specific brand? I have an iCade that doesn't see much use and would be phenomenal to play games on that aren't Atari Classics.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Video World 14 is out!

Quote:
Uh, far right, next to the woman with green pants?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Does it have to be a specific brand? I have an iCade that doesn't see much use and would be phenomenal to play games on that aren't Atari Classics.
I think so? Is that the one where the iphone sits in it vertically? Because the game plays horizontally. But otherwise, I've tried three controllers and they've all worked.

Madhair, is there a story to go with this picture? Please say yes.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
bunch of bozos

So what's the consensus on the 3DS version of Sonic Generations? The PC version was fun as heck, but I'd be keen to have Sonic on those shiny little dual screens.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
So what's the consensus on the 3DS version of Sonic Generations? The PC version was fun as heck, but I'd be keen to have Sonic on those shiny little dual screens.
It's another Sonic Rush game. I would, however, recommend it almost solely for the INCREDIBLE unlockable metal remix of Sonic Battle's Emerald Beach (misnamed as Sonic's Stage) that only exists in the 3DS version, is only played on the ingame jukebox, and is not on any OST. And since 3DS ripping/recording is a pipe dream, I don't even think it's been uploaded anywhere.

EDIT: This is the best you're getting. And he doesn't even play the whole thing!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Space Prez

I was indifferent when it first came out, but it's really grown on me. I love using play coins to buy missions. Basically a fancier version of Rush, yeah.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
It's another Sonic Rush game.
Is that a good thing? I must say I never played any of those :c

There were three of them, right? Am I better off going with one of them instead of Generations, or is this a case of latest-in-series-is-best?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Like a Gentry

3DS Generations also brings back the best song from S3&K, except now it's beautifully remixed into something even better by Cash Cash, who also worked on several tracks in the console version.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Space Prez

Sonic Rush was tight, yo. Uh, the first one anyway, I never messed around with the sequels.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 PM
borgn

Sonic Rush Adventure is the only Sonic game in recent memory I've finished, FWIW. I thought it was really great, and no other game in the franchise has lived up to it yet (Generations comes kind of close).
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 PM
bunch of bozos

Oh wow, reading these posts, it has come to my attention that I need me some handheld Sonic times.

I hope Sega keeps putting out those 3D versions of their old games, because Sonic 2 and 3 on 3DS would be straight dope.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Quote:
Madhair, is there a story to go with this picture? Please say yes.
I went two years running and will probably attend this year if they have Lost World.

Both times were a cavalcade of sheer bizarreness, and the second year especially was a rare terror. There are videos, a few photos and many bitter words.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 AM

I would like to hear as many bitter words as you have to say about the event, I'm sure the story is a strange and fascinating one.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Video World 14 is out!

I can't recall all of it with perfect clarity, and I'm convinced I have put some sort of psychological blockade over parts of it.

The 2011 Summer of Sonic took place in easily-accessible King's Cross in London, and I attended for the day planning on meeting up with my dear pal Leanne and our mutual buddy Waffles (his real, actual name). Queueing was taking place outside the convention centre, a great deal of it even for those in possession of tickets. Many were cosplaying, which was something I had never seen before in person and made me rather uneasy. I stood in line with a fellow I knew from a Sonic forum I used to heavily frequent (but I left when it became basically four people destroying themselves), and stood around sort of basking in the excitement of Meeting an Internet Person, making stupid jokes and generally enjoying the long line. A civilian approached me and asked what the line was for and I cheerfully replied "It's the Sonic the Hedgehog festival!" to his obvious disgust.

At this point my ex walked around the corner dressed as Cream the Rabbit and loudly shouted "What the fuck are you doing here, you cunt?"

Eventually I got inside and was presented with a relatively small hall rammed to the absolute gills with Sonic-based tat. I immediately headed to the stall that had been set up for the fancomic I "worked on" and posted on the forum for, and met a bunch of internet folks. Quite excitingly, that year's guests included the two Nigels from the UK's occasionally excellent Sonic the Comic, a fixture of my childhood. I didn't have the wherewithall to ask Nigel Kitching for a sketch from the brilliant Decap Attack comic strip he used to do, but I did get them to sign stuff and I stole a badge from the stall which I immediately lost and stole another to replace. I mentioned my online username to Nigel Kitching and he said "aren't you that guy who said all that horrible stuff about me?" to which I responded "HAHA NOOOOPE MUSTA BEEN SOMEONE ELSE BYEEE"

Archie's Ian Flynn and Tracey Yardley were there, and I had the gall to ask Yardley for a drawing which I will TREASURE FOREVER, and got the free comic in the SOS goody bag signed, because fuck paying.

At this point I effectively milled around, ignoring the stage events such as a Sonic quiz show ("Never Mind The Buzz Bombers" fuuuuuck oooooffff) and a Sonic-themed stand-up comedian who everyone rightly ignored and I would have done a better set than. I met up with Leanne and Waffles and we walked around making fun of everything, including the brand-new Sonic Generations which was, at the point of development, shit. I also had a go on the speed-run challenge, which that year was the Westopolis stage of Shadow the Hedgehog. I put in an incredibly rudimentary time, to the obvious despair of the staff member overseeing the competition. I did not win.

Now, the main attractions at the SoS that year were the visiting Yuji Naka and Takashi Izuka, who were going to be present for a relatively short window to sign shit and say "hullo". I'd brought my Mega and Gems collection for signing and got into the queue right away.

At this point I should explain that 500 Sonic fans were in this room and there was shit-all by the way of air conditioning. I was sweating disgracefully in that queue, which I waited in for around an hour, dying. The only food available was chilli dogs BECAUSE SONIC, and the soft drinks were all warm. I felt the end near. We got to the front of the queue and my ex proceeded ahead of me (because I am a gentleman, and she is the most insane Sonic fan I know). I was probably the most overheated and dehydrated I'd ever been. She approached Yuji Naka, who saw her T-shirt under her now-unbuttoned Cream costume - it was a self-printed T-shirt depicting Sonic riding on Rainbow Dash (I know, I know - we just weren't that compatible). He asked her, in strained English, what it was, looking genuinely confused. She explained that it was Rainbow Dash, and Mr Naka turned to Mr Izuka, and said something in Japanese that sounded vaguely like "Rainbow Dashu desu ka?", to which Izuka shrugged. It was at this moment I genuinely believed I was hallucinating or had died, so surreal was the sight of my ex dressed as Cream the fucking Rabbit, motivating Yuji Naka the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog to ask the director of Sonic the Hedgehog what the fuck Rainbow Dash was. Anyway, I recovered, got my shit signed, took some amusing photos as I am the tallest man in the world (and made entirely out of gold - FOURTEEN CARAT GOLD!!) and Yuji is very tiny. I will not share the photos as I am a fat sweaty heap of PTSD in them.

After this we realised the day had peaked, said our goodbyes and went to Nandos, where me and Waffles invented the drink "Spranta" and discussed "arcing streams of jism" to Leanne's dismay. This way, we avoided seeing Julien-K.

Next: SoS 2012, Bob had bitch tits, the worst band in the world and Brighton.

Last edited by madhair60; 06-14-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Little Waves

That's an amazing story.

Quote:
our mutual buddy Waffles (his real, actual name).
Thanks, England.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Espurrs are proud.

yes good i like these stories
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 AM
contains words & diagrams

I knew checking this thread would pay off eventually.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Space Prez

Quote:

At this point my ex walked around the corner dressed as Cream the Rabbit and loudly shouted "What the fuck are you doing here, you cunt?"
I am so glad I asked.
Keep it coming.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Hey guy.

Sonic Lost Worlds extensive gameplay video from E3.

Uh, fuck me but this looks awesome.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Video World 14 is out!

My Yardley sketch

My barely perceptible as having been signed games.

Me and Takashi Izuka

Me and Yuji Naka
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM

That story was great, I look forward to the next one.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by locit View Post
Sonic Lost Worlds extensive gameplay video from E3.

Uh, fuck me but this looks awesome.
Coming this holiday that's soooooo far away
Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 AM
Lowest post count of all

Quote:
our mutual buddy Waffles (his real, actual name).
I will never regret creating this thread.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Man of Density

So I heard you like mid-'90s Grunge music.

He's put together the wrong way
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
My thoughts on it.

In short, good companion piece to the console version. A bit tougher, the Classic Sonic parts feel more true to the Genesis games than the console version, and the final boss is handled far better.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Crossposted form 3DS thread

The good:

- The levels are, by and large, Quite Good. It's not the disaster the internet seems to bizarrely insist - it feels like the console version, albeit scaled back.

- It's pretty good looking - it's no 3D Land but it's much better, graphically, than they could have got away with. Lots of nice use of 3D.

- Tons and tons of extra missions which all unlock content, such as images, classic music (which is lovely) and 3D models.

The bad:

- It's short as hell, even for a handheld Sonic. Only 7 zones, and one of them is Radical Highway. :I

- The rival battles are insipid. If you fall behind you're unlikely to ever catch up. You won't finish first time, the tracks need learning.

- While most of the boss battles are pretty good fun, the Time Eater is exactly as obtuse and terrible as the console version.

Tags
& knuckles , do not steal , e.g.g.m.a.n. , ey yo this is knuckles , furry blue blur , got to follow my rainbow , gotta go fast , jam and juice , leg 3 and shoulders , live and learn , monoeye , mummy sonic , original character , rings & springs & things , sanic hegehog , sega , snart the hardfog , sonic , sonic the hedgehog , visual the aardvark