The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Nothing is more powerful

Vita version is up. 176 MB. Should be free if you've bought the PS4 version, otherwise you might want to wait a bit since it's supposed to go on sale later today (?).
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Oooooo! Thanks for the update. Probably my favorite game from last year. Now I finally have an excuse to turn on my Vita again.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:46 PM
bunch of bozos

I've waited until now to play this game, because it always seemed perfectly-suited to the Vita. It was difficult to resist, but I'm glad I did, because it's a fantastic experience. I see now what all the fuss has been about.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:09 PM
I. Love. It.

This went on sale for 10% off in the PSN store. It's now $17.99 instead of $19.99 here in Canadia, and it turns out that I had $18.85 in my wallet.

Well how about that!
Old 04-21-2016, 01:12 PM
is Earnest

Parish updated the USG review and didn't have great things to say about the Vita version. Apparently there's a lot of slow down and framerate issues. It's cross buy, so I'll probably at least try out the Vita version, but I may end up playing it on PS4 after all.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Mad Overlord

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. I had been waiting and thinking of getting the Vita version since it would be nice to have it portable, but if it's significantly compromised I'll stick with PC.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:19 PM
I. Love. It.

Eh, I haven't played more than 30 minutes so far, and I never played it on PC to compare, but so far I haven't come across anything that has affected gameplay. There was some lag upon startup, and in the opening cutscene, and after defeating the first boss there was a minor hiccup, but as far as the runny jumpy shooty throughout Metroid corridors goes I haven't had an issue.

But again, only like 30 minutes.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 PM
bunch of bozos

I haven't noticed any issues with the Vita version, save for load times when entering a new area. Having never played another version of the game before, I've got nothing to compare it to, but technical issues haven't hampered my enjoyment.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Your life is forfeit

If the Vita version is your only frame of reference, you're fine. But the need to, essentially, come to a halt while using the glitch gun (or drill, or whatever you assign to touch-screen virtual buttons) isn't how the game was meant to be played. It's a bit like playing a port of Halo or Call of Duty where you have to use the older Metal Gear Solid games' halt-and-shoot first-person aiming mechanics. If you've already played it the other way, you won't want to downgrade to the more restrictive style.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:19 PM
is Earnest

Thanks for the clarification! I'm not usually too bothered by graphical/framerate hiccups, so I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Nothing is more powerful

The compromise I've come up with is to map the glitch gun to triangle and drones to the touchscreen, since the former gets used more often while moving around. Then I reshuffled the touchscreen options to put drones on the left, because I keep accidentally pressing the righthand hotspots. It's not perfect but it works well enough for me.

If I had my druthers, I think I'd just stick the glitch gun and laser drill on the weapon wheel, with the option to disable their separate buttons. It's not like you ever use them and a weapon at the same time. Maybe also add the left stick as a single button aim-without-moving option.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:13 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
aim-without-moving option.
That's my one gripe with the game so far. I wish it were possible to aim diagonally up without running in the same direction. Seems like a strange oversight in what is otherwise an outstanding game.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 PM
Are You Sure About That?

You can on PC?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
That's my one gripe with the game so far. I wish it were possible to aim diagonally up without running in the same direction. Seems like a strange oversight in what is otherwise an outstanding game.
Hold the L trigger and then you can aim with the D-pad or L stick without moving.

What I'd like is the option to hold the gun in place and run, but I guess nerds aren't fit enough to run forward while holding their laser guns backwards.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
Hold the L trigger and then you can aim with the D-pad or L stick without moving.
Thank you. Wow, I am embarrassed.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Fluffy Prince

When does the Wii U version come out?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Nothing is more powerful

Just finished it. Great fun, well worth the wait. The ambient music is lovely and the "glitches" create a great atmosphere, especially during the incredible hallucination sequence. The Vita version definitely has its issues - I actually laughed when it froze momentarily during the credit roll - but it never undermined my enjoyment.

While the game is obvious about its Metroid influence, I'm more interested in the parallels I saw with fellow indie Metroidvania The Swapper. Lots of thematic overlap, with clones, consciousness swapping, and questions about personal identity; plot elements like giant, immobile aliens who have difficulty communicating and an antagonist who may or may not be your own past or future self; and even specific mechanics, like a major form of transportation being flinging your clones forward and destroying/switching places with them. Probably all coincidental but still something that struck a chord with me.

My main complaint would be the underwhelming endgame and ending. It felt like the narrative - particularly with all the notes - was building toward a climax but abruptly stopped about 80% of the way there. The last couple areas didn't have the sizzle or suspense that the best Metroidvania finales offer, the game never got around to the Rusalki boss battles I was anticipating, and for all the Metroid influence I can't believe there was no escape sequence. Most of those complaints would be resolved by a sequel, though, so here's hoping.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:44 AM
I. Love. It.

I'm still in the middle of it, but I'm loving it so far. I kinda wish I played it sooner, but I'm also glad I waited, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much on PC.

Though right now my biggest gripe about playing it on Vita isn't the random hiccups, it's the D-Pad. Sometimes when I'm just trying to duck and shoot I wind up crawling forward or backward, like the lower diagonals are too sensitive. Is that all Vita D-Pads or just mine?

Anyway, I adore the environment design so far. Everything is just so alien and surreal, it is especially in stark contrast to the most recent Metroid games that just seemed to have variations of the bog-standard plant, ice, and fire environments. Though sometimes it can be hard to remember which area was which without a coherent 'theme' applied to it, I'm still loving the environments.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Family Man

I played this for an hour and it's not for me. Whenever the main character's portrait came on screen I wanted to reach into my Vita and somehow pull out the data and throw it away, though.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 PM
#deadfish2017

But sideburns are the cooooolest.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:23 AM
I. Love. It.

Just finished too and, yeah, I kinda zoned out during most story scenes. Trace is just so booooooring. It's a shame you have all these amazing environments to Metroidvania through and your player character is Blandy McSideburns. (Though you can make it a bit more interesting by inputting JUSTIN-BAILEY as a passcode as soon as you get that ability.)

But he wasn't a huge drag and I was blown away by all the everything else. Loved the progression through the world, as I said before I loved the environments, and I also love the soundtrack.

I think one of my favorite bits of design in the game is the Indi region, which serves as little more than a transit hub. In one sense it's effectively a point-to-point teleport around the map (since each zone only has one access point to Indi), but with more flavor than a mere teleport.

In the end the Vita version did have a few hiccups but nothing that kept me from enjoying it. Though I would have changed the touchscreen 'buttons', and put both weapons on the right side and the map markers on the left side, rather than weapons on top and markers on bottom. You never really need to aim the bombs, but having its button be right next to the D-Pad still feels awkward and wrong.

Still, Vita hiccups and Trace aside, I enjoyed myself immensely. Now to watch some speedruns that put my 10 hour time to shame.

Oh and the ending sucks too. Womp womp.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Mystery Contraption

As befits it's inspiration, Axiom Verge is at its best the less it focuses on jabbering about its story.

Except for that one bit that was super-rad.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:19 PM
who's she

This finally came out on Wii U! I'm playing it. It is good.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:54 AM
We just don't know.

Huh, did I not post about this when I played it just a little while ago? I feel like I must have, but now I'm not sure what thread it would've been in. Weird.

Anyway, I played it. It was good. Some of the weapons definitely felt way more or less useful than others and I ended up using a smaller number. The world and level design was "Metroid with the serial numbers not even filed off, just kind of covered up, not even with paint or tape with a marker, not a permanent marker either a regular magic marker, so if you bump into it the marker kind of smears and you can see the serial numbers right there." Which I mean, it's not like Metroid is using it anymore, and it worked. It was good.

If anything it pushed a little too hard on the "metroidvania" thing. It felt like he made sure to always put in several paths and things you couldn't get yet to make you come back, which is basically THE definition of metroid dna and not a bad thing at all, but in this case it seemed like laying it on a bit too thick sometimes. It got to the point where it almost felt tiresome to know that like half an area would be inaccessible until much later.

I liked how it even actively used that DNA to play with expectations. It was Metroid, and you walk around and see half-height tunnels and you immediately think "Oh I'm gonna get a morph ball" and then nope, you get a little explorer drone, and it's pretty neat. And the upgrades it gets are fun too, like the teleport. Not to mention the various coat upgrades giving a new twist on the speed boost and screw attack as mobility tools/weapons.

The story was kind of inscrutable and nonsensical. While playing, it felt so in a good way, but in the end and in retrospect it felt half-baked, unfinished. I did like the big old face-angel-things though and hope to see more of them/dread the inevitable fight(s?). But apparently he's already said he's working on a sequel that will follow up the open-ended nigh-nonsensical ending so, here's hoping!

Overall, good game. Not perfect, but fun and scratched the metroid itch, and I'm looking forward to his iterations with a sequel.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:13 AM

I played through this game recently too. Was fun from beginning to the end, but for some reason I never felt like talking about it with anyone. Nothing I hate, nothing I loved so much that I felt like telling everyone "Dude, you got to play this game".

It's like the opposite of I Am Setsuna that had both things I loved and things I hated.

I'd buy a second part without hesitation, though.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:01 PM
who's she

And then there was the room where you have to ride randomly floating glitch platforms while tiny swooping bastards hide off the top of the screen to knock you down. Bleh.

(Still playing this compulsively, though)
Old 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Crabjörn

I try not to go to that room without Address Bombs and a good wide-spread gun like Voranj or Shards.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:31 PM
who's she

Finished.
Time: 14:25
Items: 89%
Map: 98%
Deaths: 42

I eventually resorted to a FAQ because finding the critical path got way too hard in the later parts. And man were some of those flying enemies annoying. But on the whole, great game. Fantastic graphics, interesting world, solid design with lots of variety.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 PM

I used that green low range plasma gun that goes through walls for pretty much the whole game. I don't remember getting stuck anywhere. I only used a FAQ to find some of the remaining hidden items.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:35 AM

I really like this game, but it needs markers on the map for items, like in later Metroid games. Trying to 100% it is annoying otherwise.

Tags
axiom verge , games by tyrants , indie , metroidvania , retro , rise from your grave!