The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Yeah, the... Mercy invulnerability... Is pretty fantastic.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
As a Reinhardt main I take immense pleasure in watching projectiles bounce harmlessly off my shield while my teammates shower me in praise and provide gourmet snacks. And so I support the maining of any and all non-Reinhardt toons so I can continue to main him without question, without issue.
As a Symmetra main, I take immense pleasure in watching light orbs pass through that shield. I start laughing maniacally when they think they're countering me by switching to Winston and I melt him with lasers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Love and Peace

All of my boxes this week have been blues and greys!

I can live without Junior Fry Cook Tracer, but I don't have enough coins to get both Sexy Genji and Sexy Torbjorn!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Set phasers to hug

I may have eaten your luck, I'm afraid. One of the three boxes I opened today had one of the Torbjorn skins in it, and another had OR15 Orisa, Technomancer Symmetra, and Cadet Oxton all at the same time.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

D.Va gets a Korean police skin; also some other goodies for doing another Heroes of the Storm Nexus challenge.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Love and Peace

Now, Orisa is slow as cold molasses, her weapon isn't hitscan (and it takes about a million years to reload), her shield is just barely better than Winston's (while leaving you open in the back), and her grav bomb is somehow still the slowest thing in her arsenal. In other words, she's your typical "Jack of all Trades."

But the first time you stop a Rein charge cold with Fortify and he just impotently "clinks" off of you, you will immediately and hopelessly fall in love.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 AM

I haven't put in too much time with her but I like Orisa nearly by virtue of her having the most straightforward gun out of all the tanks: it's just an assault rifle.

You can argue D.Va's is even more simple but the range drop off is just too much and you gotta combine it with her mobility to really get the most out of it.

Speaking of tanks: hog is pretty useless nowadays yeah?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:13 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Now, Orisa is slow as cold molasses, her weapon isn't hitscan (and it takes about a million years to reload), her shield is just barely better than Winston's (while leaving you open in the back), and her grav bomb is somehow still the slowest thing in her arsenal. In other words, she's your typical "Jack of all Trades."

But the first time you stop a Rein charge cold with Fortify and he just impotently "clinks" off of you, you will immediately and hopelessly fall in love.
Orissa's shield is way better than Winston's, though, because it's not on a timer.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Love and Peace

The timer on Winston's shield has never been a problem for me because it always breaks before it runs out.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Love and Peace

Uprising got an extension because they originally took it down too early, so this is your really last chance!

And I had a pretty good day in Mystery Heroes.

Last edited by Dawnswalker; 05-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 PM
It's a bird! It's a fish!

Talking Time, please: help me like Overwatch.

I want to love Overwatch so badly. Team Fortress 2 is one of my favorite games ever (I have played more hours of that game than any other), and Overwatch is the Team Fortress 3 that never was. I bought it when it came out, played it for a little while (till level ~15 or so?), but last spring was really busy/stressful for me, and my enthusiasm waned pretty quickly. But I played Drawn to Death (a mediocre multiplayer shooter) with a friend recently, and remembered that I do enjoy this type of game, and it made me want to give Overwatch another shot. So, to all you Talking Timers who play this game, can you help me enjoy playing Overwatch?

I'm not just asking for beginner strategies or what the meta is (although that would be helpful, too). A big part of the reason I bounced off it originally is because I found it pretty stressful. Having only 6 people on a team (instead of TF2's relatively gargantuan 12v12 battles) made it feel like my individual performance mattered a lot more, and I would get hella stressed over not playing well enough and failing my team of randos on the internet. I don't have great twitch reflexes, and I also don't have the hundreds of hours I had in high school, so I always felt like I sucked at the game, and that made it hard to enjoy. I'm more interested in hearing how yall approach the game mentally, and if you have any tips or strategies for dealing with the stresses of competitive games.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Crabjörn

I'm something of an anomaly here, but my approach to competitive play is to ignore it completely.

Not to say I don't try my best to help my team every match, mind. But I consider the game fun to just drop into and enjoy for small stretches of time, usually with friends. Yeah, you lose the cooperative pressure you'd have in comp, but by that same token, you're likely to get by without people jumping on you for not strictly adhering to meta. Don't feel like playing healer again? Whatevs! Run who you like! Will you lose? Possibly! But since there's no rank to affect, there's no judgment if you DO lose with your team.

Plus, while there are amateur coaches in quick play, people are usually quick to tell them to cool off and worry about themselves (while still being respectful enough to listen if they're not dicks about it).
Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Love and Peace

I'm not sure when the last time you played was, but there's now an Arcade section that's basically a selection of "Have fun you crazy kids" game modes, including a revamped Custom Match Maker that lets you set up games similar to how you could make custom TF2 servers for shenanigans. I hardly ever see anyone being salty in Arcade.

My other suggestion would be, whenever you sit down to play, play until something awesome happens, and then quit for the day while you're still feeling good about getting a team kill with Junkrat's ult or whatever, because ragequitting after a losing streak will just make you pissed off with the entire game, regardless of the reason why you were losing in the first place.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:14 AM

Overwatch is a lot more stressful than TF2, the matchmaking system makes it so you can't just casually pop into a server for like 20-60 minutes and fart around...

...or does it? ~

There's custom game servers in the arcade mode that may be in your best interest to explore for a while.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:21 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee Escher View Post
I don't have great twitch reflexes, and I also don't have the hundreds of hours I had in high school, so I always felt like I sucked at the game, and that made it hard to enjoy. I'm more interested in hearing how yall approach the game mentally, and if you have any tips or strategies for dealing with the stresses of competitive games.
I don't have great reflexes or aim either, but there are a lot of characters you can play where that doesn't matter very much. Lucio is helpful to the team simply by existing near other players. Reinhardt requires almost no aim to play (aside from the occasional Fire Strike) and again, simply throwing up the shield when you're pushing an objective makes you at least kinda useful. Symmetra has a gun that auto-aims for you and is surprisingly powerful. Mercy's heal beam sticks to friendly characters and you can follow them around anywhere they go with the touch of a button. Try taking a few of those characters our for a spin and you can relax knowing that you'll be at least somewhat useful.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Inherently Stealthy

And even beyond those, most characters have a very high spread on their projectiles, so as long as you're in close and pointed vaguely at a target, you'll get some damage in.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

I might reccomend DVA, as she has somewhere in the neighbourhood of a Million billion health and bullets enough to crack the firmament of the earth.

So she's got a pretty low learning curve and damned if the reactions to her Ultimate don't always set my heart-a-twitter.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Soldier 76 tends to be easiest character to get to pay dividends. He's the Ryu of Overwatch.

For about 9 months, Overwatch was pretty much all I played, and I was pretty proficient with each character. This is a double-edged sword because most people are not and I found myself starting to get angry when I'd see them make stupid mistakes. I came to the realization that my primary emotion when playing Overwatch was anger. And, so, I stopped playing religiously. Nowadays, I might play it once a month or so and that seems to be enough.

A lot of people see Competitive mode as the "actual game", which is unfortunate, because lots of people are also not very good within a competitive space. Arcade, though? Yeah, that's the ticket. You can just dick around and play for the joy of it.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Arcade is not something that I knew about, so I'll give that a shot. My intro to TF2 was playing the Halloween events almost exclusively for a while, before moving on to more normal game modes, so maybe that will be the ticket to getting me into it. Thanks for the input everybody!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Dinger!

I'd start with Mercy. I played a lot of TF2 Medic and while Mercy's a bit different, the skills translate really well. And nobody's ever going to complain about having Mercy on their team.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:07 PM

I played some Arcade mode and mostly enjoyed it! I tried:

-No Limits: Is this just regular mode? I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be different about this one, but I had fun.

-Random Heroes: Not fun. I don't know any of the heroes well enough to be good at them, and switching after every death means I can't improve on any of them.

-1v1: This was a lot of fun, and I played this one a bunch. It's also random heroes, but 1v1 means there's a lot more room for errors, and it becomes much more about reading your opponent.

Does anyone have any Pharah tips? I played a ton of Soldier in TF2, and Pharah is the evolution of that, but I'm just not very good as her in this game. I think part of it is that she's not as durable as the Soldier, but I feel like that's not a full explanation. Does she rely more on direct hits? Her rockets have splash damage, but I feel like it's not very much and the radius isn't that big.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
-No Limits: Is this just regular mode? I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be different about this one, but I had fun.
There's no limit to the number of the same hero that can be chosen. So, if you want a team of six Reapers, you can do that. They removed this feature from regular many moon ago. Once a hero is chosen in regular and competitive, another player cannot select that same hero.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any Pharah tips? I played a ton of Soldier in TF2, and Pharah is the evolution of that, but I'm just not very good as her in this game. I think part of it is that she's not as durable as the Soldier, but I feel like that's not a full explanation. Does she rely more on direct hits? Her rockets have splash damage, but I feel like it's not very much and the radius isn't that big.
Pharah's splash damage falls off hard. She's all about the mobility you get, with Pharah you can do things like fly over a shielding Rein and launch missiles at his head, or quickly advance to a troublesome backline fighter while your team scrambles to fight the frontline. An unanswered Pharah will win games, full stop, so expect a lot of fire if you're playing her and don't be afraid to switch off if you're getting shot down all the time, you're going to be the highest priority target for most DPS characters on the other team.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:57 AM
King Of Space-Time

Lucio is a nice starter, with his AOE heals and speed buff. Just got to remember to shift between the two. Also his alt fire is good for getting some breathing room.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM
does the Underpants Dance

So after all the Overwatch promos in Heroes, I've been wanting to give this game another chance. I played it a little when there was the open beta or whatever it was, but I didn't really click with it (I've never been terribly drawn to shooters). I also don't want to spend full price to play a game I might not want to play a lot. Have they done any free-play weekends or things like that?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 PM

They've done free weekends. It's almost the one year anniversary so there will probably be one coming up.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Love and Peace

Overwatch Uprising Infographic

And 85.7% of the matches had at least one guy refuse to skip the opening cutscene.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
So after all the Overwatch promos in Heroes, I've been wanting to give this game another chance. I played it a little when there was the open beta or whatever it was, but I didn't really click with it (I've never been terribly drawn to shooters). I also don't want to spend full price to play a game I might not want to play a lot. Have they done any free-play weekends or things like that?
Free weekend May 26-29.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 AM
King Of Space-Time

Via US Gamer

New Overwatch Video Explains 'Goth Reaper', Why All Ships are "Canon"

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch