The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Faffing about

Default THE LIST: Your X favorite VG tracks of all time.

Last week, my best friend and I decided it would be fun to list our favorite video game music tracks of all time. We enjoyed going through our old favorite games we hadn't played in years and listening to the soundtracks to find our picks, and then we listened to each other's picks and we each found some songs we really liked this way!

So I figured this would be a fun activity to do with a large group!

DA RULES:

-Pick your favorite music tracks from video games! Rank them in order.

-You can pick as many as you want. You could do ten, twenty, fifty, a hundred, however many you feel like. My list had 25, hers had 50, for instance.

-You must have played the games in question.

-Why you like the song is immaterial. You might just like the song, or like a scene associated with the song, or maybe it has other significance to you. There are a lot of reasons why a song might be one of your favorites.

-If you can find YouTube links or other ways for others to listen to the song, find those and post them so we can hear the songs you like!

-You can also include a brief explanation of why you picked the song.

Also, I was vaguely surprised to see that there was no topic similar to this one already existing here.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

What, the fifty billion music thunderdomes don't count?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
夏の夕暮れと

Oh, I'll make him regret this.

You are doomed.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
NO
Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Oh, right, I keep forgetting you end up shooting yourself all the time in those.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
so exciting!

Default deliberately and maliciously ignoring the rules

NO PARTICULAR ORDER
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP) - True Knight
G*d damn this is such a good song and it makes a scene that's already heart warming so much more so.

Wild Arms Second Ignition - You'll Never Be Alone, No Matter Where You Go (US version)
The US version took out the Japanese vocals and the song is better for it. No insipid lyrics, just silly over-dramatic rahrah instrumentals and trumpets. It's a shame about the actual game though.

Legend of Mana - The Other Truth
I, um, had to limit myself to one track from Legend of Mana. It's such a good OST. By itself, "The Other Truth" is wonderful, but it makes the scene it goes along with absolutely perfect.

Lufia: The Legend Returns - To Doom Island!
Really I could have picked any incarnation of this track from any of the games, they're all good.

Half-Minute Hero - Main Theme
This whole soundtrack is just a treat, and it was tough to narrow it down, but ultimately I think this was the best choice.

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song - Challenge to the Pantheon
Nothing particularly special about it, just a really fun, upbeat battle song indicative of Kenji Ito's style.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park

The ambient sounds of birds and children playing work nicely with the simple melody.

Super Castlevania IV - Simon's Theme
It has a mix of foreboding and rah-rah that sets the stage for the game perfectly. You know you're going up against Dracula's hordes of hellbeasts, but it also says, "But you're Simon Belmont and you can whip in eight directions "
And be honest: Who didn't get a big goofy smile on their face when it started playing in the final battle?

Xenoblade Chronicles - Confrontation With The Enemy
This is the song that plays in all those cutscenes where Shulk gets angry at a major enemy and runs at them with his sword. The beginning reminds me of SMT Nocturne, but then it starts doing its own thing and really this song is single handedly keeping me from rolling my eyes during those scenes.

This list will be added to, these are just songs I could think of the names off the top of my head
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
夏の夕暮れと

All right, we'll start off easy. Here's a top ten, which is coincidentally ALSO a top five of songs with alliterative names.

10. Castlevania Bloodlines - The Sinking old Sanctuary Far and away my favorite song in the series, even after hearing it constantly in Circle. The older versions are a lot better though, since they're more austere and mysterious.
09. The Epic of Zektbach - Wenkamui Ok so Zektbach itself isn't a game per se, but I'm not capable of concisely explaining what it is so please just don't ask. This song was in a game (unlike, say, "Nyoah's Sword Dance"), and it's good. I love this sort of tribal chant thing.
08. FF13-2 - Village and Void Trip-Hop? In my any game I've ever played? Yes. Please. My favorite piece from a truly phenomenal soundtrack.
07. Senko no Ronde DUO - Cavalier's Note So hard to choose from this series. This one's on the admittedly on the generic end in terms of overall composition, but the call of that violin is too much for me.
06. G-Darius - B・T・DUTCH U. U. U. Another soundtrack that's utterly sublime, this one stands out for me for being on the incredible stage 2 boss; if you take the lower path, it's a colossal enemy which takes up the entire second half of the stage, as you blow up all sorts of turrets, lasers and guns.
05. Guilty Gear XX - Suck a Sage It's hard to pick favorites from GG. I don't know what else to say about this. If you don't like it I'm pretty sure it's your fault.
04. Valkyrie Profile 2 - Endless High Speed Running My favorite Sakuraba soundtrack overall. (Resonance of Fate is better, but that's just as much because of Tanaka's pieces) I know this one's pretty weird, but what else did you expect from me? It gets better the more you hear it.
03. Mushihimesama Futari - Bestial Beat Gotta admit, I didn't really notice this one at first. I'm not sure why. It's kind of impressionistic for game music, but that's what makes its primal elements come together. First you hear the pounding footsteps, then a tremendous roar. Then, as everything else flies away, you find yourself just face to face with the gigantic boss. So awesome.
02. Valkyrie Profile 2 - Divine View A careful, meditative piece, unlike all these others. What does it sound to look down on the world from heaven? Well, probably nothing, but that's not very interesting.
01. Battle Garegga - Stab and Stomp The #1 song from the #1 game. Raw aggression lies just under a calm surface. That's all there is to it.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 AM
yum

Quote:
Voting about music is like doing taxes about architecture. Or something. My point is thunderdomes are bad and you should feel bad.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I couldn't find a covers thread for VGM music so I co-opted this one!

This is now the canonical version of Wily Stage 1 from Megaman 2

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I couldn't find a covers thread for VGM music so I co-opted this one!
It's on the second page, friendo.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
But then I couldn't resurrect this one!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Not a Beer

I <3 Mariachi Entertainment System so much.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

Quote:
Oh, right, I keep forgetting you end up shooting yourself all the time in those.
Alixsar hates the musicdomes because we all have execrable tastes.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Seeing these five-year old threads resurrected out of nowhere is always disorienting.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Seeing these five-year old threads resurrected out of nowhere is always disorienting.
You're welcome!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

Oh hey, Valve is finally releasing the TF2 soundtrack via iTunes and Amazon.

Also CD or LP, if you like.