The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Man, that's not even the worst movie. Monster-a-Go-Go or Castle of Fu Manchu are just worse films and the Starfighters has even more nothing happening during its run time.
Starfighters had some good riffs (poopie suit), but yeah, Castle of Fu Manchu was I think the first one that is just a chore to sit through. A few others approach its awfulness.

I love the bit over the credits where they just list off every movie they'd done up to that point, comparing all of them to what they just watched
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Wes Cravens New Nightmare has a fantastic premise that, sadly, doesn't quite lives up to its potential.

A few years after Freddys Dead came out, Heather Langancamp (playing Heather Langancamp) starts having nightmares, not totally dissimilar to the dreams Freddy doles out before he goes on a spree. As do Robert Englund and Wes Craven.

Yes, it seems that Freddy Krueger is both A) A Real Guy (and significantly less jokey than previously portrayed) and B) not any more of a fan of Nightmare 6 than I was, so he's entered the Real World and is targeting both the film crew of a prospective Nightmare on Elm Street remake (because nobody at New Line Cinema can be trusted with the franchise any more) and Heather Langancamps family, because she was the one who had the most success at beating Krueger in the movies and he wants revenge.

Well, that's not actually true, Alice was the one who had the best success record against Krueger. Nancy showed up twice and was killed in both movies. But whatever.

The movie is its fairly slow-paced (except for a couple of teases its a good 90 minutes before Freddy gets to do any proper Kruegin'), and until Heather Langancamp enters the Nightmare World near the finale, the visuals are fairly low-key, never quite hitting the highs of the more atmospheric parts of the main series, and instead focusing on the more realistic fear Heather Langancamp has for not being able to protect her son from a monster like Freddy.

And speaking of, Krueger got a subtle redesign in this that looks just distinctive enough from the rest of the movies to indicate that it is not the same jokey murder-cartoon he was while still being close enough that there is no question what franchise this monster belongs to. Though it violates the headcanon I came up with for the series and that kind of bugs me. Hardly the movies fault, though.

I also have to admit that the idea that Heather Langancamp is a Big Star and is still called on to Talk Shows to talk about her career-defining role as "The Girl Who Almost Didn't Die, Twice" is harder for me to swallow than the idea that there is a Nightmare God who chooses his victims based on how his favorite film series is treated.

I give it... A Star on Just the Ten of Us / Recurring Role on Growing Pains

Man, Heather Langancamps IMDB page is dire
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Video Monster

Poor Heather.

I like this one pretty well, especially stuff like wes craven's palace house. There are some cameos from the other movies too - I think Tuesday Knight shows up in a scene?
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
This Guy

Today I thought, "I should watch Addams Family Values." And then I did watch Addams Family Values. The best part of that movie is all the parts of that movie. And maybe Puggsley dressed like a turkey sing-shouting "eat me."
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'd agree that the best part of the movie is every part of the movie, but I would argue that the second-best part of the movie was Gomez in the police station.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Video Monster

Correct on all parts.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I give it... A Star on Just the Ten of Us / Recurring Role on Growing Pains

Man, Heather Langancamps IMDB page is dire
Five Nights Degrees of Freddy : Brooke Theiss, who was in Nightmare 4 : The Dream Master*, was also another Star on Just the Ten of Us / Recurring Role on Growing Pains.

*She was the girl who Freddy turned into a cockroach.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Today I thought, "I should watch Addams Family Values." And then I did watch Addams Family Values. The best part of that movie is all the parts of that movie. And maybe Puggsley dressed like a turkey sing-shouting "eat me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I'd agree that the best part of the movie is every part of the movie, but I would argue that the second-best part of the movie was Gomez in the police station.
Everyone is correct.

Tags
boo! , crypt currency , haints and gerblins , octo-good , spoop your pants off , super booglies n gerblins