The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Fifth Business

Default What IS this thing?

And why do they act like it is among its peers?

I put the question to twitter in general, but figure it would be best to put it forth here in particular.

I happened to be flipping through an old issue of GameFan with this ad in it, and I realized...for YEARS I would wonder, every time I skimmed over that ad, what is that weird wicker basket beetle thing lined up alongside all these major video game icons as if it were natural and fitting and worthy?

My subconscious can put a pin in this no longer, and demands my conscious mind just get an answer, already.

What IS that thing?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Mystery Contraption

From the art style, and not from any sort of experience playing the game, I assume it's a varmint from one of the Oddworld games.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Not a Beer

I think you may be right. I haven't played them either, but a quick google image search turned up this "Meetle", which looks suspiciously like the thing that would be *under* the basket:

And then apparently if you feed them meat they evolve into "Mugs" which get used by your enemies as war machines such as:

Even knowing the presumably correct terms I still couldn't turn up an exact match, though.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Not a Beer

Ah, found it! From an ancient forum post on rare oddworld creatures, labeled either Meetle old design or Meetle saddle:

The Meetles appeared in Munch's Oddysee, though it's not clear that this exact design actually made it into the game. So, yeah, totally a peer of Mario!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Fifth Business

Huh! So it's concept art for a possible form of a minor creature in an (at the time) upcoming game that ultimately didn't end up making it INTO the game?

For some reason, I'm mildly glad that the answer DID end up being something pretty obscure and bewildering as opposed to something obvious.

I appreciate finally having the answers. Many thanks for getting to the bottom of it, Kirin, and to Octopus Prime for getting the investigation going on the right track.

And ironically, I doubted Octopus Prime on this one. I played all the Oddworld games, and thought I knew all its varmints, and didn't even consider going along that line of consideration. But he was on to something! He was right! My own familiarity with Oddworld, and my own hubris in that regard, BLINDED me to the possibility!

But now, I can officially say:
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I think you may be right. I haven't played them either, but a quick google image search turned up this "Meetle"
Is that a cross between meeple and beetle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
And ironically, I doubted Octopus Prime on this one. I played all the Oddworld games, and thought I knew all its varmints, and didn't even consider going along that line of consideration. But he was on to something! He was right! My own familiarity with Oddworld, and my own hubris in that regard, BLINDED me to the possibility!
Tunnel vision is a hell of a thing.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Remembers Love

I'm guessing they had something like Sonic in the mockup, couldn't clear it with Sega or whoever, so they just pulled something from the file they got the render of Abe from and sent it to print.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 AM
Space Prez

The ad is for a store called Game Express? There was a store with that name in NYC that I went to whenever I was in the city, never noticed if they took out ads but they did sell through a website. If it's the same it was a great store, a big chunk of my import games came from them.