The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 PM
oh my car

Is there an actual powerpoint presentation, or is that just a dig at the animation quality?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:00 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

An actual powerpoint presentation would be more entertaining, I think
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 PM
oh my car

It would! That's why I asked.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Ah! You know those dubs you sometimes see on youtube of like really stupid or really exploitative manga scenes? That's exactly what this is, except for the fact that the cold open feels really jarring for some reason
Old 07-13-2017, 02:20 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
something something something watch NTR
well if you insist!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 AM
hourglass figure

There is some disquieting buzz going around Made in Abyss' source material. I don't know any specifics but it's probably a good idea to approach the show with caution if all you are in the mood for is more of what the first episode offered (i.e. cute Etrian Odyssey slice of life fluff).
Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I, uh, well EO does have a cutesy artstyle, but remember what happens in the plot and to a number of NPCs throughout the series. MiA is apparently in a similar sort of boat.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:35 AM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

Like the Beautiful Bio-luminescent sea creatures dwelling deep in the oceanic Abyss, Made in Abyss is a truly visually splendid well drawn nightmare that exists where the dark pressure is to strong for humanity.

Beguiling and hypnotic like a field of deadly jelly fish bearing a venom to fill your body with agony.

Absolutely crosses the Mohiro Kitou Event Horizon. The Series thesis is fundamentally a Voyage to HELL with zero intentions of a safe return?

In a Grotesque Meta the titular Abyss is marked by Layers, and each layer causes a more painful and debilitating reaction upon return to the surface. Almost a nauseating dare to continue following the series descent as events become more bleak and despairing

Proceed with Great Caution I guess? there could be as many as four charming episodes before the other shoe drops.

Last edited by Gunther, an Otter; 07-13-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: More Spoiler shadows?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:02 AM
King Of Space-Time

Who the hell got their hands on the Tylor franchise?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM

(re:MiA)

.....I suppose there's value in warning people who despise that kind of tonal shift, but it's something that I really wish I can experience blind (*not aimed at anyone in this thread, already read "BE PREPARED IT GETS DARK" type of comment elsewhere). Ah well, shock value is overrated anyways.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
(re:MiA)

.....I suppose there's value in warning people who despise that kind of tonal shift, but it's something that I really wish I can experience blind (*not aimed at anyone in this thread, already read "BE PREPARED IT GETS DARK" type of comment elsewhere).
Same. I'm not exactly bummed to have it spoiled (I didn't read the actual spoiler box, but I can read between the lines), since I'm not sure I was going to watch it anyway, but I love those kind of unexpected tonal shifts when I'm not expecting it and hate having them spoiled.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

Ah I apologize! I wasnt trying to warn about the plot so much as
"Please be aware the exploitation of childrens bodies Approaches some terminal gross in this series?"
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Find Your Reason

Well, given the comparisons, now I'm wondering how gross Etrian Odyssey gets!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:49 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Who the hell got their hands on the Tylor franchise?
I wouldn't have expected them to just copy & paste the character designs from the late '80s or whenever it was, but... wow.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Well, given the comparisons, now I'm wondering how gross Etrian Odyssey gets!
mild body horror, implied horrific things both past and present?
Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Inherently Stealthy

More Little Witch Academia - episode 7 covers growth VS proficiency in educational policy. I'm loving how good this series is at using complicated concepts in a simple-on-the-surface magical boarding school story. Which you can appreciate on its own merits, or you can dig deeper into the underlying themes, and either way it's consistent and enjoyable.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
I've wanted a fantasy mecha show for some time, because I loved Aura Battler Dunbine, and Knights and Magic looks like it'll scratch that itch, even if it can't beat Dunbine (or Escaflowne).
Since you didn't mention it (though I think Wist did), I'll just ask, have you watched Break Blade? Because it def scratches that fantasy mecha itch, and the nature of how the mecha are built makes the fights very visceral in a way I really appreciated.

I've been slowly catching up on things after being out of town for the first two weeks of the season. Watched a couple more eps or this (K&M) and it's still an intriguing world but man the MC is still such an over-the-top Mary Sue. So far he is literally good at everything.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Since you didn't mention it (though I think Wist did), I'll just ask, have you watched Break Blade? Because it def scratches that fantasy mecha itch, and the nature of how the mecha are built makes the fights very visceral in a way I really appreciated.

I've been slowly catching up on things after being out of town for the first two weeks of the season. Watched a couple more eps or this (K&M) and it's still an intriguing world but man the MC is still such an over-the-top Mary Sue. So far he is literally good at everything.

That's my only problem with it since man does it hit the Fantasy Mech well. I'm just hoping at some point what he's doing turns on him and it goes horribly wrong or something.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Not a Beer

Watched ep 1 of Mahoujin Guruguru and yup, that sure is some straight-from-the 90s adorable parody/slapstick anime. Only this time with even more blatant DQ parody as it goes straight into pixel-mode from time to time. Also stat boxes and stuff, though my vague memory is the original had those occasionally too.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Watched ep 1 of Mahoujin Guruguru and yup, that sure is some straight-from-the 90s adorable parody/slapstick anime. Only this time with even more blatant DQ parody as it goes straight into pixel-mode from time to time. Also stat boxes and stuff, though my vague memory is the original had those occasionally too.
The original had that constantly. Along with a narrator constantly chiming in with "The Hero became Confused" when something weird is going on.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Since you didn't mention it (though I think Wist did), I'll just ask, have you watched Break Blade?
Hnnnggggnnnn Break Blade is so friggin' good. I'm so happy too that new scanlators picked the manga back up. Break Blade is also a special case with magical mechs, because everyone in this world has magical mecha, but the MC gets an ancient technological one dug up from the ground and it's a blast watching it wreck the magic-based mechs.

I like Knights & Magic, it's a pretty pure form of fantasy escapism that's pretty innocent and endearing. If they made a Totally Serious Story maybe it could be better, but it works for me as-is, and I'd be disappointed if it went down a different path than the current MAN OF SCIENCE WINS WITH SCIENCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
Ah I apologize! I wasnt trying to warn about the plot so much as
"Please be aware the exploitation of childrens bodies Approaches some terminal gross in this series?"
The first episode might not look like it but man is there a lot of that going on just underneath the surface already and I'm already very uncomfortable just thinking about the show; I dunno if I want to continue with it.

Cleanliness-Boy Aoyama-kun is an amusing and endearing, if unspectacular gag show. But I think its ED is pretty amazing:

Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Not a Beer

Ahaha what, that ED is amazing.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I won't bother linking it since I doubt it would have much appeal to anyone who's not already a fan of the show, but I love the new Rage of Bahamut VS ED so very, very much. It's just all of the characters (including a bunch of people who, y'know, want to kill each other) dressing up formally and having a nonsense dance party together with a Cinderella framing device. Azazel doing the robot in particular is just *chefkiss*.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post

Cleanliness-Boy Aoyama-kun is an amusing and endearing, if unspectacular gag show. But I think its ED is pretty amazing:

Can anyone name any other modern anime with purposefully throwback animation like that? Not counting stuff like the last 20ish years of Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa series', which to me look more like "mature content" updates than throwbacks. Cromartie High is the only one I can think of, though its more obvious in the manga.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Kill la Kill had a bit of a gimmick any time there was a flashback of to jump back the equivalent number of years for character designs/animation style/aspect ratio, if I recall. That was a fair bit more subtle though.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:49 PM
King Of Space-Time

Huh, Crunchyroll got a new license!

Quote:
Infamous among anime fans in Japan, this 1974 series by Knack Productions is known for its nonsensical plots, absurdly incompetent animation, and brutal 10-year-old hero. See young Ken Izumi gun down wave after wave of ineffectual aliens, while dealing with misaligned animation cels, repetitive music, and a near total lack of sound effects. The best joke is that none of this was meant as a joke.

Uh... yay?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Can anyone name any other modern anime with purposefully throwback animation like that? Not counting stuff like the last 20ish years of Go Nagai/Ken Ishikawa series', which to me look more like "mature content" updates than throwbacks. Cromartie High is the only one I can think of, though its more obvious in the manga.
Lots of gag shows will dip into it briefly from time to time. The recent Osomatsu-san was, as a 60s era show revival, did a lot of it too. The opening of which was amazing, btw. (And also scrubbed from history.)

I also seem to recall the -monogatari series digging into that well frequently for reaction faces and such.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 07-19-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: linking vimeo videos is hard
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM
The metal babble flees!

In shoujo manga, I frequently see '70s style reaction panels, always used for comedic effect.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Episode 2 of Gamers (yes, I'm watching some trash; don't judge) had a very explicit PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS reference. PUBG's been popular for, what, a couple of months? That's a pretty fast frickin' turn-around. Caught me completely by surprise.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 AM

To be honest, Old Anime looks, like, 10 times better than NuAnime so I am so down. Watching Ashita no Joe that animation on display blew me away nearly every episode. The art of sweet background drawing, in particular, has been nearly lost by most anime.

Also I watched MD Geist and it was completely inexplicable and amazing. Like... Nothing made any sense. But shit blew up or whatever, so it was dope.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road