The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Since I watched the first three episodes of Voyager, all I've done Star Trek-wise is watch a dozen episodes from DS9's first two seasons. I guess Voyager is good for something after all.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Turns out that, because it was the WGA strike of 1988, Star Trek did a clips show.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Your life is forfeit

After hearing so many bad things about "Profits and Lace" I expected the worst from "Rules of Acquisition," but it was actually... kind of sweet and challenging? I feel like it's the kind of episode a certain kind of Tumblr kid would call "problematic" without really understanding the difficulty of finding your personal feelings in opposition to a driving cultural ethos.

Anyway, I liked that Dax figured out the lady Ferengi's feelings for Quark before figuring out the "lady" part and it was no big deal – something you definitely didn't see on TV in the '90s.

Also, we now know which species the alien bounty hunter in X-Files belonged to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 12:58 PM
I. Love. It.

Rules of Acquisition is fine. It's not my favorite Ferengi episode, but it's certainly no Profit and Lace.

Hell, in a lot of ways Rules of Acquisition is Profit and Lace done right. Or, better, at least.

Anyway, time for a Voyager dump! There's a spurt of middling episodes following The Killing Game on Voyager. Vis a Vis is one I was never a fan of since the science is just stupid as hell. Not Threshold stupid, but pretty dumb. (how does this alien species actually function as a society? If he deposits his genetic material in his victims and takes theirs then why was he reverting to an older form that one time?) The character stuff is dumb (Why is Tom now suddenly chafing against Voyager's structure? Aside from griping about Sick Bay duties this is sudden), and even the continuity stuff is dumb (after swapping DNA with Janeway, why did alien-Janeway have four pips on her collar when she would have still been wearing Tom's clothes?). Ultimately Tom saves the day with old timey car knowledge, and he and B'Elanna share the final scene in the holodeck where they very carefully position all of the shots so something is in front of her torso at all times. Pay no attention to how forced that gets and why she's wearing two jackets now, both of which are open, she did that all the time it's not new you're crazy stop being crazy you crazy person.

Omega Directive was better, ignoring the logistics of what a 'perfect' particle would even be. A super secret Captain's-only directive, one that even supersedes the Prime Directive, feels kind of weird, but it gives us an episode that's another good character piece for Seven where she comes into her own a bit more and also finds Borg God or something. B'Elanna continues to hide behind chest-high pieces of scenery.

The only unforgettable thing about Unforgettable was the alien's effect on other races, very specifically wiping their memories of them once they leave, kind of like a proto-Silence from Doctor Who. However it was a Chakotay episode and it's hard to care more about his episodes than his actor did about the show.

Living Witness was much more interesting, one of those moral dilemma pieces that Star Trek usually does so well. A back-up of the Doctor is reactivated 700 years later on a planet where they have a rather inaccurate history regarding Voyager. This is the closest this series comes to having a Mirror Universe episode (I think, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an official one), since the theatrical recreation of Voyager in this museum of history is almost comically sinister. The Doctor has to set the record straight, but gets cold feet when his presence basically causes a race riot and he has to grapple with whether to just delete himself and bring it to an end, or push forward and help the people of that planet heal. The twist at the end of the episode is that the Doctor's time with the museum curator was itself a holographic retelling even further in the future after they had achieved peace and stability. B'Elanna was absent for these past two episodes, yet in this one the Doctor weirdly eulogizes her, just going on and on about just how much he misses B'Elanna specifically. It was awkward. Was there a chance her actress might not have returned or something?

That turned out to be moot since she's back in Demon (still wearing double-jackets, but no longer hiding behind every console in a given scene) which is another episode with really really dumb science. Voyager is out of a particularly important space-fuel and is forced to stop at a 'Demon Class' planet to find some. Demon planets are basically literal hell, totally inhospitable to humanoid life. Tom and Harry go down to collect what they need, shenanigans occur, suddenly they're able to breathe the atmosphere without their suits, but can no longer survive on Voyager, and it ultimately turns out that the substance they were gathering for fuel was able to clone them somehow. The Demon goo then grabs hold of Voyager because it wants more sentience and Janeway bizarrely agrees to give the pile of silver slime the dna of the entire crew and the last shot is Voyager leaving the Demon planet which is now populated with crew-clones. This was a very good idea that will work out well for all parties.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:14 PM
McBear

Nana Visitor was pregnant during DS9, and the writing staff wrote it in that Kira had to wibbly-wobbly medicky-wedicky carry Keiko and Chief O'Brien's second child. Because it feels like DS9 had the better writing staff.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Your life is forfeit

Stray thought on "Rules of Acquisition": I like that the big threat for the series is casually introduced as a background detail in what could have been a throwaway episode.

"Necessary Evil" was good. I appreciated the very minor hint of continuity between episodes (Rom mentions busting into Quark's safe while the latter was in the Gamma Quadrant), but I really liked seeing the flashbacks to when DS9 was Terak Nor. A very effective change in set lighting made it clear what was current and what was a flashback, and it's interesting that the show is building up its deepest relationships as not involving the "captain" character but rather his staff and one of the villains.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Omega Directive was better, ignoring the logistics of what a 'perfect' particle would even be. A super secret Captain's-only directive, one that even supersedes the Prime Directive, feels kind of weird
It's deemed perfect by the Borg because of how high energy it is, and its potential as an energy supply or a weapon.

And the Omega Directive is actually kinda fascinating, and it makes total sense too. Omega Particles are an existential threat to any interstellar civilization, since their detonation can render large swaths of space impossible to navigate by warp, so keeping that information a secret and contained is paramount.

IIRC there was a Star Trek cartoon floated in the 2000s as a post-Nemesis sequel that sounded pretty interesting where it examined a future where Omega Particles fractured the Federation and rendered the Alpha Quadrant a wasteland. And a new Enterprise crew were re-exploring the Alpha Quadrant, reconnecting with disconnected civilizations, and trying to figure out a way to work past the destruction of subspace, and potentially usher in the return of a new golden age for the now broken and humbled Federation.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM
mellow dramatic

Since it wasn't enough to have an episode about historical humans in the far reaches of the galaxy, Voyager also went to contemporary Earth. It's awful. Every single thing anyone says about computers is the new dumbest thing ever said... so of course it's largely about computers.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Your life is forfeit

DS9's "Sanctuary" handled the idea of an extreme matriarchal society so much less offensively than The Next Generation's "Angel One" it isn't even funny.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Just bear with me

I shoulda come back to this thread while people were still arguing about Tuvix, because boy do I have opinions about that.

As a viewer, I greatly preferred Tuvix to his two halves. Tuvok was a humorless tightass, and Neelix was irritating comic relief... combining them balances the two personalities nicely. I'm not sure where this argument that he was a morally bankrupt drain on ship resources is coming from, honestly... I thought he was charming, and most of the crew seemed to like him as well. Beyond that, I'd like to think that in Gene Roddenberry's enlightened future, people aren't callously led to their deaths because they're viewed to be of less value than others. This is Star Trek, not a GOP health care bill.

Getting past all that, Jerk-way didn't seem terribly interested in exploring alternatives to ripping Tuvix in half. Two series over, you've got Thomas Riker, a copy of Will Riker who was the result of a transporter accident. You're telling me they couldn't have found a way to make a second Tuvix and split that one apart? Oh no, that would require too much thought. This isn't DS9, where Sisko is forced to make uncomfortable choices to resolve difficult situations. It's Voyager, where Janeway's recklessness and stupidity create them.

Uh, sorry. It's been over twenty years since that episode aired and it still gets under my skin. I still say they could have handled the Tuvix situation better, but it felt like Janeway was already sharpening her axe halfway through the episode and would not be denied her execution.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 AM
who's she

My last word on Tuvix is that everyone should spend that time instead watching the four Steven Universe episodes "Alone Together," "We Need to Talk," "The Answer," and "Mindful Education."

And whatever episode is after Tuvix, spend that time instead watching "Coach Steven," "Cry For Help," "Keystone Motel," and "Friend Ship."
Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 AM
mellow dramatic

After all of the other problems related to holodecks, we find that it's possible for someone to remotely hack them and from there take over the rest of the ship so completely that the crew can't even figure out what's wrong, let alone how to fix it. This leads to two questions: If the holodecks have their own power supply, why do they have any connection at all to the rest of the ship? And has the Federation ever developed tech with less use or more hazards? Shuttles are weak sauce but at least they generally function as intended (space-capable transports conveniently vulnerable to everything from space weather to thrown rocks).

After 'going back to contemporary Earth/historical human' episodes, holodeck episodes are the worst.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
After all of the other problems related to holodecks, we find that it's possible for someone to remotely hack them and from there take over the rest of the ship so completely that the crew can't even figure out what's wrong, let alone how to fix it.
So, computer security is not going to improve in the next centuries. That's reassuring.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
mellow dramatic

I'm pretty sure Harry Kim's password is 123456.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
I'm pretty sure Harry Kim's password is 123456.
That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard of in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard of in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Disappointed the reference jokes are aimed at spaceballs and not Code 0, 0, 0, Destruct
Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 PM
McBear

* McDohl enjoys his delicious slice of Janeway Pie. (1:34)

Old 07-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Vid is probably region locked so GL non-Americans

"You're mad...!"
"I'm MUDD!"

Edit: Here's the Netflix trailer, should be available for most other regions. I'll be interested in hearing if all the lens flares from the US trailer are in this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA
Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Unreliable Narrator

It's like Ron Moore adapted the Abrams movies for tv.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, neither of those are viewable here. Here's a link that works in Canada.

I remain thoroughly indifferent. Unless this gets a lot of positive buzz once people get eyes on it, I doubt I'll bother to seek it out.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM
120 Days

Ok

I like it.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTtttt

All of it's problems stems from being a prequel. It is super incongrous with everything we have seen from TOS as well as from ENT.

I know Fuller said there were specific reasons for this time frame, and perhaps this will justify them but having this in a post nem / destruction of romulus would be better. Or even like 50 years from ENT, rather 10 years before TOS.

Another thought:

So Roughly 30 years before TOS Kirk ep one (he is 30 right?) The Kelvin is destroyed (or not). It being there is canon in prime. So weird technology not so odd.(?)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM
who's she

I still haven't seen anything in these trailers that tells me Trek has learned from its mistakes. If anything it looks like the same Big! Actiony! Nonsense! that keeps driving me away. And maybe a clone of Enterprise that has better characters, which is hard to get excited about. But I'm trying to remind myself that trailers make everything look bad.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 PM

I don't think these trailers look all that great, but I am not going to let dumb trailers stop me from watching the show and judging how it is for myself. Trailers very frequently do not adequately represent what things are going to be like. I've written off Star Trek shows because of bad trailers and preconceptions of "what Star Trek should be" and those were colossal mistakes in hindsight.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 PM
More than two problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I don't think these trailers look all that great, but I am not going to let dumb trailers stop me from watching the show and judging how it is for myself.
Normally I'd agree, but if the trailer doesn't sell me than I sure as hell won't be paying another subscription fee for a network-exclusive streaming service just to watch one show in a franchise notorious for being mediocre to outright bad until about the third season.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 PM

Well, that's probably why they're broadcasting the first episode on network television.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Well, that's probably why they're broadcasting the first episode on network television.
That's news to me! I probably will watch the premiere, then.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
That's news to me! I probably will watch the premiere, then.
Also will be on CRAVE TV in canada. It's cheap
Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Your life is forfeit

I'm back from travels and watching DS9 again.

I really liked that the punchline for "Armageddon Game" was the revelation that the tenuous sleuthing on which the episode's resolution hung proceeded from a false assumption. Keiko's realization that she didn't know her husband's habits as well as she thought she did was reasonably droll on its own, but it was hilarious as a send-up of the wild leaps of logic characters frequently take to save the day in Trek (especially on TNG). Funniest final scene since "A Fistful of Datas."
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM

CBS put up their entire SDCC panel up online into 5 part videos. Most of it is producers and cast members giving canned lines about how great the show is, or placating the crowd/cynical fans. A big theme of what everyone said was about how "emotional" the show aimed to get at, with regards to tone and the characters experiencing character growth and trials to overcome. And while the trailers all look like a lot of the Abrams movies' worst excesses, a lot of the characterization via this panel sounds like they're aiming for the what has retroactively been deemed the best parts of DS9, so it at least feels like they they have their pulse on what fans what.

Some noteworthy tidbits that came out during the panel:

-The Klingons are going to be speaking Klingon most of the time with subtitles for what they're saying.

-The MC was actually adopted by Sarek into his family, taken in after her family was killed, so she's Spock's foster sister. The discussion seemed to imply that we'll be getting flashbacks to Sarek on an regular basis.

-The show is going to be split into two chunks, the first beginning in September, then going on hiatus until January. If I understood correctly, the first 7 episodes are going to be shoved out the door all at once onto CBS All Access at the same time, with the 2nd chunk coming after. (This seems silly to me, and I really have come to loathe the "binge watching" experience for new shows, but this probably makes paying for All Access a little bit easier of a proposition for people, if you can watch it all, then immediately unsubscribe.)

-Mudd is going to be in multiple episodes.

-The panel repeatedly emphasized the serialized nature of the plot, to the degree that I'm worried it's just going to be a 14 hour movie.

-Doug Jones as a slenderman alien looks to be absolutely delightful, and possibly my new spirit animal. He demo'd the way his species walks for the panel and I about died.

-Lucius Malfoy is a very well spoken man.

-The guy who does the music for the Fargo TV show is doing Discovery's music and theme. I have no idea if that's something I should care about.

-The producers repeatedly swore over and over "I swear, there will be lots of twists you guys won't see coming that'll recontextualize anything that doesn't immediately make sense or reevaluate things you did think about what came before." To the degree that I immediately became cynical.

If anyone else wanted to watch, I'll spoilerpop the links:

Tags
anomaly , fascinating , four lights , get the cheese to sickbay , gold-pressed latinum , i'm sensing hostility , it's a faaaake! , khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan , live long and prosper , lt. barclay , no it's real!!! , o'brien's shoulder , octo-good , resistance is futile , reverse the polarity , science fiction , shaka when the walls fell , shut up wesley , star trek , tachyon , temba his arms wide , the punishment zone , there is one bridge! , welshy!!!! , wesley crusher