The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Hawkguy

The Matrix is a pretty good movie.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM
utada hikaru

TWELVE MONKEYS upsets me somehow. There's something about the movie's construction that terrifies me in the same way an old videogame might.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
The Matrix is a pretty good movie.
I was recently rewatching the original with the intent to rewatch the entire trilogy. Somewhere around the first ten minutes of Reloaded, I changed my mind.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
I was recently rewatching the original with the intent to rewatch the entire trilogy. Somewhere around the first ten minutes of Reloaded, I changed my mind.
A viewing of Beyond will sooth what ails you.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Rawrther.

Hellboy II was pretty good.

Paprika was awesome.

Wanted has probably the most creative action sequences I've ever seen--I really think you guys expect too much out of a genre based on nonsense and poor acting.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
TWELVE MONKEYS upsets me somehow. There's something about the movie's construction that terrifies me in the same way an old videogame might.
It loops endlessly.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Condiment connoisseur

I must see this Beyond, then. What is it?

Also, I honestly like The Matrix: Reloaded, I just got my fill of Yuen Wo-Ping's most-popular-in-the-US (but definitely not his best) work. I was also a little disappointed in the sequels how they changed the action from a balance of over-the-top gunplay and over-the-top martial arts to about 70/30 in favor of martial arts--and the fight sequences weren't all that awesome to begin with. I mean, it was cool seeing Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne actually doing these fights, but the choreography all kind of blends together after a while with its ten thousand freakin' blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
Wanted has probably the most creative action sequences I've ever seen--I really think you guys expect too much out of a genre based on nonsense and poor acting.
I won't say they're the most creative shootouts ever, but Wanted did have some awesome action. I prefer Shoot 'em Up's more self-aware meat-and-potatoes shootouts, but Wanted's bullet-curving STOLE MY IDEA--er, made for some really badass stuff. I was a little disappointed that they overused the whole "two bullets hit each other dead-on" thing, though.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:11 AM
#deadfish2017

It's part of the Animatrix. The best part.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
It's part of the Animatrix. The best part.
Wait, was it the beautiful short with the kids playing in the abandoned building? Because that one was my favorite, followed by both parts of The Second Renaissance.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
#deadfish2017

That's the one.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I won't say they're the most creative shootouts ever, but Wanted did have some awesome action. I prefer Shoot 'em Up's more self-aware meat-and-potatoes shootouts,
What, no love for Equilibrium? They (or someone connected with the movie) basically made up a bullshit martial art just for the sake of making the movie more ludicrously awesome in the shootouts.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
What, no love for Equilibrium? They (or someone connected with the movie) basically made up a bullshit martial art just for the sake of making the movie more ludicrously awesome in the shootouts.
I hold a special place in my heart for the ludicrously awesome.

I think a marathon involving Equilibrium, Crank, Shoot-Em-Up, and Wanted, in no specific order, would be great.

While I'm on the topic, any other movies of this kin?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Equilibrium is special because it's THE crazy gunfighting movie. And Taye Diggs' face gets sliced off.

Ultraviolet wasn't terrible and had some gunkata-ish stunts, but had a lot to live up to thanks to Equilibrium. In the end, it's one that really doesn't hold up well, and is basically just ninety minutes of Kurt Wimmer dropping the ball over and over again.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

The Happening: This movie is about killer plants. Not cool killer plants like those giant flowers in South America that have teeth and digestive systems. I mean like regular trees and grass and shit that just kill you with their minds for no reason at all other than plants are dicks.

KILLER PLANTS
Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
I hold a special place in my heart for the ludicrously awesome.

I think a marathon involving Equilibrium, Crank, Shoot-Em-Up, and Wanted, in no specific order, would be great.

Crank doesn't fit in at all, it's wacky but not nearly as crazy-gun-action packed.

Watch Desperado.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Space dad

The Mist: Might have the most depressing ending possible.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Gun fu

WhooOoOoOahAH!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
A No.1

28 Days Later - freakin' awesome. I like that the second half of the movie took a completely different turn than where I was expecting it to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
BENJAMIN BUTTON is good, it entertained me for two hours.

The other forty-five minutes I was not entertained but I accepted my fate, grimly.
Yes, this is how I feel. It was fine, and I was entertained enough by the main story - but a lot of the trappings (the old lady, the unneccesary and unused Hurrican Katrina thing) were pretty piss-poor. It was a decent movie, but could have been a lot better.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Rocky and Rocky II pretty much represent the transition from the 70s style of American filmmaking to the modern era - Rocky loses by decision in the first one, just being content to go the distance but being hampered by his limitations and unable to do better. He overcomes those limitations and wins in Rocky II - where even if that wasn't likely to happen, was what the audience wanted to see and Sly gave it to them this time.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM
A No.1

How would you describe Rocky Balboa in this analogy, then?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

Adrift in Tokyo (Tenten) - Joe Odagiri plays a listless, scruffy college student who has gotten himself deep in debt to pay for his failed studies. As he wallows in his hopelessness, a gloriously bemulleted debt collector comes to shake him down by stuffing a sweaty sock in his mouth. After a brief respite, he is again approached by the collector, this time with an offer: agree to walk around Tokyo together for an unspecified time and the debt will be erased.

As the main character observes, happiness creeps into you so quietly that you don't notice it, but misfortune arrives very abruptly. So it is with this movie. It isn't until the inevitably bittersweet ending that you realize how attached you've become to the characters and the togetherness they find in an absurd situation. What begins as a goofy yet low-key comedy with quirky characters doing silly things, (and never really stops being that) turns out to be one of the sweetest, most touching movies I've seen. Highly recommended.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
How would you describe Rocky Balboa in this analogy, then?
A recognition that Bridgette Neilsen apparently has really good divorce lawyers if Sly still has to make cash-ins like that and Rambo.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
A No.1

Aw man, really? I liked it a lot, much moreso than any other Rocky except the first. It was really kind of neat to see a movie acknowledging that the hero had grown old, that he honestly couldn't go toe-to-toe with the new champ. It was a nice look at what life was like after he'd grown old and washed up, I guess.

Agreed on Ramob, though. (I readily admit I had campy fun with it, though.)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:17 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkuro View Post
Adrift in Tokyo (Tenten) - Joe Odagiri plays a listless, scruffy college student who has gotten himself deep in debt to pay for his failed studies. As he wallows in his hopelessness, a gloriously bemulleted debt collector comes to shake him down by stuffing a sweaty sock in his mouth. After a brief respite, he is again approached by the collector, this time with an offer: agree to walk around Tokyo together for an unspecified time and the debt will be erased.

As the main character observes, happiness creeps into you so quietly that you don't notice it, but misfortune arrives very abruptly. So it is with this movie. It isn't until the inevitably bittersweet ending that you realize how attached you've become to the characters and the togetherness they find in an absurd situation. What begins as a goofy yet low-key comedy with quirky characters doing silly things, (and never really stops being that) turns out to be one of the sweetest, most touching movies I've seen. Highly recommended.
Ok, this sounds totally awesome. Er...how do I watch it, though? I mean, it hasn't come out over here, has it? I don't see it on Netflix, in any case. Man, it's been a long time since I've had to use the internet to watch a movie.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Condiment connoisseur

Rocky Balboa was good to me for the same reasons that Cal mentioned.

Rambo, on the other hand, was good to me because holy crap it was like eighty minutes of ridiculous violence from start to finish. I think that movie was designed to scare the crap out of the poor kids who grew up thinking that The Matrix was a violent action movie.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
It's not for sale

Quote:
Check out Daywatch and Nightwatch. Same director, same incredible visual style.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Koshikei (Death by Hanging)

It starts off like a PBS documentary on capital punishment before switching gears when the man executed does not die. Rimshot! Then, like an episode of Sealab 2021, the priests, doctors, prosecutors and officers all go to extreme lengths to re-enact the man's crimes in order for him to remember since he goes all tabula rasa on them ("We can't execute a man who is not aware of his sins, that's murder!"), and in turn reveal how racist, sexist, and generally stupid they are.

It gets a little dream-like, metaphysical and even crazier towards the end. I was convinced at one point that all the officers were going to strip off all their clothes and have sex when they were kissing each others necks. Thankfully that didn't happen.

I couldn't tell if the film was condemning capital punishment or not as all the arguments about this man's death are pitted back and forth with no clear resolution. However all the state officials are definitely mocked. I think the finer points of the film's dialogue, politics and culture are lost on me. The price you pay for watching a movie from another country.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Ok, this sounds totally awesome. Er...how do I watch it, though? I mean, it hasn't come out over here, has it? I don't see it on Netflix, in any case. Man, it's been a long time since I've had to use the internet to watch a movie.
As far as I know, torrenting it is the only option, at least for now. So worth it, though.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
28 Days Later - freakin' awesome. I like that the second half of the movie took a completely different turn than where I was expecting it to go.
One of my favorite things about this movie is the music, it opens with a Godspeed You! Black Emperor piece and most of John Murphy's score for the film is in a similar style. I've always felt GYBE and similar sounding post-rock was good music to apocalypse to so this really worked for me.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
It's all good, man

I liked a lot of things about Valkyrie but I'm not convinced I actually enjoyed watching it.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road