The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Is the twist the driver is actually a full grown adult
Old 06-30-2017, 03:18 PM
This Guy

It sets up characters that are obvious archetypes and gets you to think you know how things are going to play out, then things play out in very different way.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:51 PM
It's all good, man

I thought Baby Driver was a good movie, until the last act started. Now I think it's a great movie.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I don't want to say whether or not John Wick 2 is a better action movie than Fury Road, that's a bold statement and one well beyond my pay-grade to even debate.

But it's certainly the best one I've seen since that.
Hearing this, and since he hadn't seen the original, my father insisted we watch the original John Wick.

It, too, is a masterpiece, but I still feel that the sequel comes out on top.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I thought Baby Driver was a good movie, until the last act started. Now I think it's a great movie.
I drove by the theater yesterday and when I saw Baby Driver on the marquee I assumed it was a Boss Baby spin-off.

Hmm, haven't been to the theater since last August. Maybe I'll go see it.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Little Waves

Rambo: First Blood Part II is the perfect bridge between First Blood and Rambo III. It starts as smart as the former and ends as dumb as the latter.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:08 AM
Chief Servbot

Baby Driver may not be Wright's most thematically deep film, but his complete mastery of editing and cinematography are on full display here. Incredible looking (and sounding!) film.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Rambo: First Blood Part II is the perfect bridge between First Blood and Rambo III. It starts as smart as the former and ends as dumb as the latter.
The action in that movie is so abysmal and I adore it. It fails to have any sense of geography or tension. Guys just fuckin' explode and Stallone comes out of mud like 5 times in one scene without any context of why or how he's in the mud. All the houses that get demolished for no reason? Amazing. Non stop laughs.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:44 AM
It's all good, man

There are two good Rambo movies and they don't have numbers in them
Old 07-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

The Osterman Weekend

That... was a weird movie. I think I kind of like it, despite the fact that the villain's main plot made no sense. Not only that, his plan seemed to be an impediment to his goals. That said, it feels like it might be an interesting double bill with Videodrome. But while Videodrome is a fantastic approach to violence on TV, this feels... again weird. There's a mix of 80's cheese, a wonderfully, increasingly unhinged performance by John Hurt (the movie's strongest point) and some odd choices. It makes sense that John Hurt's character is watching people having sex, but why is he sharing that with Rutger Hauer, who is pretty chill with secretly watching his friends having sex. It's a real oddball/cheeseball movie but I think I kind of enjoy it. It's not quite a "so bad, it's good" movie so much as it is a nonsense movie with some interesting ideas and choices. And it is never boring. And Craig T. Nelson is a kung fu master TV producer.

Part of me wonders if director Peckinpah is examining his own relation with violence in movies. This is a thing that has been done a lot better with stuff like Videodrome or even Wes Craven's New Nightmare (the first half, anyway) but it is nonetheless fascinating.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:21 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
The action in that movie is so abysmal and I adore it. It fails to have any sense of geography or tension. Guys just fuckin' explode and Stallone comes out of mud like 5 times in one scene without any context of why or how he's in the mud. All the houses that get demolished for no reason? Amazing. Non stop laughs.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Ruffian

Baby Driver was a blast. Glad I went to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Is the twist the driver is actually a full grown adult
Yes, but he looks like he's 15 or maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
You truly are a fan of the classics.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Gesundheit!

I liked Moana (which is now on Netflix streaming, by the way), but much like Frozen I wasn't a big fan of the songs, even with Lin-Manuel's involvement. I haven't seen much post-Lion King Disney in general, though, so I think I'm unfairly comparing the songs to the awesome patter of the Menken/Ashman years, where every line was filled with creative jokes and tied to lightning-fast visual humor.

I'm also heavily in favor of Alan Tudyk becoming the new Frank Welker, a generation's standard-bearer for hilarious, wordless voice acting.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 AM
King Of Space-Time

Old 07-05-2017, 11:17 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Huh, would've thought that the near-legendary gag of the guys stopping their fight and pulling up chairs to watch the catfight would've merited the movie remaining popular enough to get a BluRay release.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Gesundheit!

Okja: So what was Jake Gyllenhaal going for here, Gene Shalit + Steve Irwin + piles of cocaine? I'm usually in favor of performers dialing it up to 11, but this is more like a 39. Pretty solid movie though. Much like Snowpiercer, it's awesome as a whole with little patches of bad scattered throughout.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 PM
who's she

I watched... Well, skimmed, really, Way of the Dragon. I just don't have the patience for martial arts movies anymore, even the classics. But it is interesting how close Bruce Lee came here to making something really watchable. The movie looks great, particularly the final scene in the colosseum. The self-deprecating humor reminds me a lot of the kind of character Jackie Chan would later specialize in. And I like how long it waits to get to the first fight - reminds me of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But it all kind of falls flat. The characters all seem awful, the plot is utterly boring, and the action isn't worth waiting for. Oddly, Chuck Norris makes the strongest impression here as a guy who kind of just shows up at the end with fabulous sideburns. I guess I'd say it's a worse movie than Enter the Dragon but in some ways it better demonstrates the unfulfilled promise of Bruce Lee.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I watched... Well, skimmed, really, Way of the Dragon. I just don't have the patience for martial arts movies anymore, even the classics. But it is interesting how close Bruce Lee came here to making something really watchable. The movie looks great, particularly the final scene in the colosseum. The self-deprecating humor reminds me a lot of the kind of character Jackie Chan would later specialize in. And I like how long it waits to get to the first fight - reminds me of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But it all kind of falls flat. The characters all seem awful, the plot is utterly boring, and the action isn't worth waiting for. Oddly, Chuck Norris makes the strongest impression here as a guy who kind of just shows up at the end with fabulous sideburns. I guess I'd say it's a worse movie than Enter the Dragon but in some ways it better demonstrates the unfulfilled promise of Bruce Lee.
I'm a HUGE fan of martial arts films and honestly none of Bruce Lee's films are classics because they're good.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:42 AM

I've just broken a fever - i'm at the stage where I'm still feeling weak, but I know the worst part is over. Prior to that, I watched James Cameron's Avatar and Rambo 2008 back to back on tv. I only paid attention to some parts of Rambo, but it was pretty intense. I feel like half the movie was about guys either going on crazy rape expeditions or planning them. The other half was people getting fucked up in various ways. I was also recovering from experiencing Avatar for the first time.

This might be the the fever talking, but Avatar might be one of my favorite movies ever. I know there were a lot of complaints about the plot being generic and the whole white savior deal, but I see the strength of movies first and foremost in delivering immersive audiovisual experiences - you read a book and your imagination does the heavy lifting in stimulating you, but with movies, you're bombarded with stimuli. That's where Avatar succeeds: you take in a bunch of stunning visuals while natives chant and awe inspiring music is piped in to give proper magnitude to the visuals. I really wish I saw this in theaters with 3D.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

James Cameron tends to recycle his own ideas and steal others in terms of narratives, but his movies often do break lots of visual ground. Avatar is like that.

I kinda wish I'd seen it with a fever. It might have made it into one of my favorite movies too.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Holy shit, Baby Driver was incredible. The action is exhilarating, and the the choreography and editing are really something else. It's like a series of music videos and action scenes strung together by a story that, while basic, manages to go in unexpected directions. Highly, highly recommended.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 PM
oh my car

An arthouse theater in my city is playing The Holy Mountain on Friday and I'm gonna go see it.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Baby Driver was a great reminder that there was actually a Saturn made that could rip.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Blue Comet

Just finished *Wish Upon.* Hot damn, what a terrible movie. I went to a different theater and there were actually people there, which was a change from the last time I was at a theater and I was the only one there. But everyone around me laughed constantly throughout the movie, and I was laughing along with them. It's one of those "teen horror movie," and the acting and dialogue seems like it was written by someone who ventured into an American high school saying "How do you do, fellow kids?" At the end of it, someone in the audience just shouted out, "this movie sucked!"and everyone else, including me, started laughing and agreeing with him. I'd say I wasted 14 bucks, but I needed to get out of the house, so at least I got that, and a few laughs to boot. Thus, I ain't too sad
Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 PM
>MAGIC

Baby Driver was really fun, w/ some fantastic editing. But wow, it was really crummy about women, huh?

Last edited by will; 07-14-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
An arthouse theater in my city is playing The Holy Mountain on Friday and I'm gonna go see it.
So, I knew this was a surrealist film, but that did not quite set an accurate expectation for me. It started off very disorienting, but I think this was so that it could ease into its unconventional but strong structure later on. A lot of very provocative imagery, some of it quite gruesome, but it was oddly comical despite that. A very literate piece of art; you'll pick up more of what it's putting down if you're familiar with the religious, mythological, and folkloric allusions it makes, not to mention the historical ones. I saw it sober and attentive and recommend others do the same, though judging by the smells in the theater lobby, there are plenty who have other ideas.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:17 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Baby Driver was really fun, w/ some fantastic editing. But wow, it was really crummy about women, huh?
edgarwright.txt
Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Yeah, Edgar could stand to work harder with his female characters.

Nonethless, I saw the movie last night and found it took be a joy. Baby just walking over to get a coffee is turned into a delightful music video that I feel is going to only get better and better with each re-watch. Lots of clever visual clues and Easter eggs. The whole thing is a joy and there were several times where it didn't go where I expected, in good ways.

The cast where all top-notch, too, with Jamie Foxx's villain being real creepy. I love that it is clearly obvious the guy is trying to play up his own myth to get a rep, yet it doesn't make him any less of genuine threat through the movie. It's also nice to see Spacey in something I like, too. I feel like it has been a while. Like, since Moon, where we didn't even see him.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

Hail, Caesar was fine, but I went in expecting something similar in quality to Oh Brother or Fargo and it was certainly not either of those.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road