The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
A No.1

Default The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Media Edition

The games get one, why shouldn't movies/books/interpretive dance?

I'll kick things off: I saw Hancock last weekend and liked it fine. I had some gripes with the later half, but it was pretty much what I imagined it would be (though they made the, uh, "twist" I guess, way too obvious too early on, in my opinion).
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
gatchapon 3*

Steven Brust's Jhegaala came out yesterday. I fucking love that series.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
There's no thread shortag

I went into Hancock expecting a funny superhero movie parody type thingie.

What I got was a combination of superhero/comedy/drama/introspective thingie. I was amazed and bewildered.

The pacing was somehow odd, though.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Steven Brust's Jhegaala came out yesterday. I fucking love that series.
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
I went into Hancock expecting a funny superhero movie parody type thingie.

What I got was a combination of superhero/comedy/drama/introspective thingie. I was amazed and bewildered.
Yes, that surprised me a little bit too, but I really liked it for that.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Hawkguy

Bollywood movies have the best taglines.

Shootout at Lokhandwala - Based on True Rumors

Tere Naam - Unfortunately a True Love Story
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
gatchapon 3*

Steven Brust has a book series about an assassin/gangster human living in an elven style nation in a pseudo three musketeers style world, with tons of fencing, psionics, humor, food, and just really great fucking writiing.

Starts with Jhereg. Totally worth your time.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Bollywood movies have the best taglines.

Shootout at Lokhandwala - Based on True Rumors

Tere Naam - Unfortunately a True Love Story
Tere Naan - Based on True Bread
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
There's no thread shortag

Also, the poetry of the two immortal super-types being able to live together in mortal form, if they choose to stick together, was one of the only things in recent cinema that I found genuinely well-thought out and touching.

*Male credibility down by 5 points*
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
The pacing was somehow odd, though.
I think a whole ton of stuff was left on the cutting room floor by the studio and the director/Smith weren't really happy with the results.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
A No.1

That's kind of too bad. Let's hope the DVD has an added feature to see some of that, I guess. (Hm, sort of like I Am Legend...what is Will Smith's problem with theatrical releases nowadays? Geez.)
Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
It's all good, man

I wouldn't be surprised by a director's cut double dip.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

You must be reading my mind, Calories, because I was about to start this thread.

I thought we were clear; no more mind reading.

Anyway, I just saw Bad Education (La Male Educacio(accent)n) and it was completely great. Had no idea what kind of movie it was supposed to be (beyond the general theme of child abuse) going in, so I was completely flabergasted by the revelation halfway through. Really forces you to reevaluate the entire film up to that point and pay even closer attention to the rest of it. A few days later, I'm still trying to unravel the metafiction.

Guess I need to watch more Almo(accent)dovar. The other two movies of his I've seen were really good too.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post
You must be reading my mind, Calories, because I was about to start this thread.

I thought we were clear; no more mind reading.
You know you like it.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

There's a fairly decent comic shop rather close to where I'm staying on my vacation, so I have plenty opprtunity to get books that I otherwise wouldn't bother with.

Consequently, I've discovered that I love the bajeezus out of The Spirit, and Animal Man changed tone so often I got mood whiplash.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Hawkguy

The soundtrack to the movie Mamma Mia! is fantastic.

I have to turn in my Y chromosome now, don't I?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Fun Club Agent

I just watched the episode of The Cosby Show where Cliff gives birth to a five foot long submarine sandwich and a 2 liter bottle of orange soda. This was weird even in context.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_snake18 View Post
I just watched the episode of The Cosby Show where Cliff gives birth to a five foot long submarine sandwich and a 2 liter bottle of orange soda. This was weird even in context.

I remember that episode! Don't other male family members give birth to other absurd things?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
I remember that episode! Don't other male family members give birth to other absurd things?
Well, Theo gave birth to a sports car, but for some reason I found that less ridiculous.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_snake18 View Post
Well, Theo gave birth to a sports car, but for some reason I found that less ridiculous.
I love that show so much. Bill Cosby is probably my favorite comedian ever.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
There's a fairly decent comic shop rather close to where I'm staying on my vacation, so I have plenty opprtunity to get books that I otherwise wouldn't bother with.

Consequently, I've discovered that I love the bajeezus out of The Spirit, and Animal Man changed tone so often I got mood whiplash.
I went into my local comic books store for the first time in years and was impressed. I bought trades of the beginning of Grant Morrison's Batman run, plus volume two of Manhunter (I believe one of you guys recommended that to me). I also avoided several temptations, like a Sega Saturn for $30 and a $2 copy of a Gene Wolfe novel I don't own (I decided I'd buy that new, as I want the man to get his royalties).
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
I also avoided several temptations, like a Sega Saturn for $30 and a $2 copy of a Gene Wolfe novel I don't own (I decided I'd buy that new, as I want the man to get his royalties).
Every time I go to the comic shop across town it's a double-whammy of temptation, as the store is located next door to an independent video game shop that specializes in discontinued systems/games. That they're horrifically overpriced doesn't diminish the wanting.

So, I really hope you guys are keeping up with Rifftrax, especially since they've started doing shorts. Shorts were one of the best parts of MST3K, and this month they have a thing where they're releasing two new ones a week. If you can think of a better way to spend 99 cents, I'd sincerely like to know about it.

If nothing else, get Drugs Are Like That, one of the fucking funniest things they've done yet.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
The soundtrack to the movie Mamma Mia! is fantastic.

I have to turn in my Y chromosome now, don't I?
Who among us doesn't love ABBA?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Every time I go to the comic shop across town it's a double-whammy of temptation, as the store is located next door to an independent video game shop that specializes in discontinued systems/games. That they're horrifically overpriced doesn't diminish the wanting.
Comics are expensive, but I've been reading them a lot lately while waiting for The Dark Knight. I am way too excited for that movie. I mean I'm taking work off to see it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
Comics are expensive, but I've been reading them a lot lately while waiting for The Dark Knight. I am way too excited for that movie. I mean I'm taking work off to see it.
Join the club.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Being that, by Central and Eastern time zones, it's already Tuesday the 15th, episode one of Joss Whedon's new three-part musical series, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, launched.

Now, my only experience with Whedon's stuff is Firefly, Serenity, Astonishing X-Men and some of his Runaways issues. Never did see much of Buffy. So I may not be the best judge of his stuff. However, I'd have to say that this first episode was...solid, at least. Neil Patrick Harris really can sing. Nathan Fillion may not have as amazing a singing voice as Harris, but I have to say, Nathan really does pull off the "obnoxious, arrogant and thickheaded" hero quite well. The jokes didn't really send me rolling, but some of them I found quite funny, at least eliciting a good chuckle from me. I'll watch the whole series, but I hope it gets better.

Last edited by Badinage; 07-14-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2008, 11:54 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Hey. Guys.

Ghost Town looks pretty bad, despite having Ricky Gervais in it.

Protip: Don't have this "Not worth its own thread" and the other "Not worth its own thread" open in two windows at once. I posted in the wrong one by accident, and now I feel dumb.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
Being that, by Central and Eastern time zones, it's already Tuesday the 15th, episode one of Joss Whedon's new three-part musical series, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, launched.

Now, my only experience with Whedon's stuff is Firefly, Serenity, Astonishing X-Men and some of his Runaways issues. Never did see much of Buffy. So I may not be the best judge of his stuff. However, I'd have to say that this first episode was...solid, at least. Neil Patrick Harris really can sing. Nathan Fillion may not have as amazing a singing voice as Harris, but I have to say, Nathan really does pull off the "obnoxious, arrogant and thickheaded" hero quite well. The jokes didn't really send me rolling, but some of them I found quite funny, at least eliciting a good chuckle from me. I'll watch the whole series, but I hope it gets better.
Please note: this is a US-only deal. Sorry, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand and Japan! You're not real countries!

Merus: Your source for bitterness over imperialism he doesn't get to take part in.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

Good No Reservations on Colombia last night, even if I missed the first twenty minutes or so. It was really great to see people so optimistic. It looks like things really are getting better- when I was in Colombia ten years ago, it was pretty sketchy, the army was everywhere, etc. etc. Bourdain talks in his blog about how warm the people are, and I remember being struck by that. Colombians were fantastically friendly. The week or two I spent in Colombia started out almost as a hare brained dare and turned into one of my and my friends' most fond memories of our time in South America.

And the food was good, too! I was salivating at the bandeja paisa. Worse, I used to be able to get that here in town, but the restaurant went out of business.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Is My Neighbors the Yamadas worth Netflixing?

(You might think this should go in that Ghibli thread, huh?)

(You'd probably be right)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

"Penelope" is a pretty good movie that nobody seems aware of. Sort of Neil Gaiman-y but without trying to be dark. I liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Sampson View Post
Is My Neighbors the Yamadas worth Netflixing?

(You might think this should go in that Ghibli thread, huh?)

(You'd probably be right)
I own it and the last ten minutes alone were worth the price of the DVD. You'll especially like it if you like slice-of-life comedies and such.

Attn: Talking Time Forums
Having recently seen "Scooby-Doo Meets Batman" and "Batman Vs. Dracula", I am now looking for a Scooby-Doo/Dracula crossover to complete the trifecta of laughably bad concepts. Please help.

Tags
fear of new threads , media , not worth its own thread , original mini-review , random , we just don't know , what is media?