The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Default Johnny Unusual (Over)Analyzes 70's Cartoon TV Intros

Too niche?

Anyway, sometimes I go through phases where I watch youtube playlists of commercials or TV openings, and suddenly I got on a 70's cartoon intro trip. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there wasn't an (western) animated show in the 70's that wasn't bad. Even the "good" ones feel like there's a lot of caveats. Anyway, I'm planning on breaking down each one despite (in most cases) never having seen the show.

I'm using this and going through alphabetically but if you have some suggestions that haven't appeared here (this is only American animation, after all) please go nuts.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

For that matter, I don't know if more than a couple of good animated intros existed before the 1980s.

If you got a quarter-decent intro and a catchy song, then you just hit the jackpot.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:53 AM

Default The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie

The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie
In which I constantly get distracted from my main point and I think this is going to be a thing, so sorry.

My one regret is that since I'm using youtube, I won't be using many screengrabs, so please refer to my time codes.

Anyway, this one feels like the perfect start to my dumb little project. It's brief and it feels very all purpose, and very representative of cartoons in general. It is also unbelievable 70's. I have a question: were stars a big deal in the 70's? I feel like they were but the star shape has always been popular. Heck, Steven Universe and Homestar Runner have nearly identical star shirts (except Homestar's is like a lampshade dress thing). Oh, and to already go off on an unnecessary tangent, I am so disappointed that the Brothers Chaps never released a shirt for the design of the basement wall in Strong Bad's house. It's kind of cool, even if you don't get the reference. That's the kind of pop culture shirt I like best.

Anyway, already distracted from my main point. Stars. We are bombarded with them from the beginning of this one. Now obviously, it is because this is the Superstar Movie, but I feel like the star design was heavily relied upon back then. Can someone confirm or rebutt this assessment? If I had to guess it is because (though not necessarily consciously) because of the bicentennial, an event I know little about besides the obvious. It was basically an extra special fourth of July, right? Anyway, it's also why I think there was a lot of red, white and blue stuff (again, this is my perception, but someone can refute it). America was America crazy. I guess it always is, but I feel America's America-craze was a different animal than the America-craze of the 80's.

So we got a lot of stars. And this wins points with me. I love the classic star-shape. It is simple, striking, all-purpose and if I ever get an eyepatch, that is what is going on it. Unfortunately, the colors look a little bit off. Sickly, you know. Is that how it was animated or simply how they appeared when they finally hit TV? (Sickly colors and stars. These are the seventies to me).

And birthed out of the stars is our title, with a dynamic little jingle as the stars turn into the titles, and then swipe out of the way in different directions. This little simple jingle totally sounds like something that's been lodged deeply into the minds of a lot of kids in the 70's. There are a lot of catchy theme songs and this one is far from great, but it is concise and seems to invite emulation, whether to mock it or simply join in. I can imagine someone in his very late 30's to mid-forties who go on youtube, hear this and suddenly feel like a little dutch boy has just removed finger from a memory dike. Something comes flooding in, not good or bad, but an epiphany of "I knew this once. It was an element of my life." But as we'll see, I think to say the theme aside, The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie probably isn't a strong source of nostalgia. It is, after all, a resevoir for (I assume) 1 hour (I assume) made for TV cartoon movies. You may have a memory for the movies themselves, but unless this had some sort of host, I doubt it.

Then we get these little animated pennants featuring scenes from these movies (presumably. Kids shows aren't known for keeping the promises of their intros). First we have Yogi Bear, being classic Yogi, in that he's saying who he is, stealing a pic-a-nic basket and is crudely animated.

Then we get some kind of luftwaffe dog who seems much better animated. No, it isn't Muttley, despite his history of teaming with Dick Dastardly in decidedly German army seeming situations in that series where he tried to "Get That Pigeon". He's waving his fist at someone and seems quite upset.

Then we get to the REAL meat: Daffy and Porky. Now, I don't think they had a REAL full movie, so I assume it is one of those "movies" that's really a bunch of shorts edited together with a rather lame linking story between them.

Then the words Gidget show up. For those of you who don't know, Gidget was a character created for a book series about a girl who hangs out at the beach. Looking at wikipedia, I'm actually surprised to find her name a portmanteau of girl and midget. That's weird. Anyway, she was also in a bunch of movies and a TV show with Sally Field. And my research shows that there wasn't an animated Gidget show I could find, so I need to assume that they either linked a two part episode together or they actually did do two hour movies (I will confirm this at the end of the write up). But it does seem weird, she only merits words.

Next we get a shot of a little boy with a little beret and bow tie and he probably got made fun of a lot. I'm assuming he's Dutch or from that region, because otherwise there is no excuse.

Then it's the Banana Splits, a show people of my generation generally don't know about except the Dickies cover of the theme song was used in a murder-spree in Kick-Ass. I guess I know they had stupid names like Fleagle and Snork and that it was a Hanna Barbera production so it also contained hard to sit through comedy (not to be confused with their action-adventure shows, which were an unintentional comedy gold-mine as Seanbaby's mockery of classic Super Friends can attest too. Wow, that is old-thyme Internet).

Then we have Lassie, who gets both a floating name and a picture AND a bark. They are really banking on that Lassie cred to get people to watch. I will say, even without the words, it would be a pretty safe to assume people would know it is meant to be Lassie. It's the only famous collie and the whole breed is now associated with the character.

Then (at 0:27) I don't know what that is. Some bullshit with animals playing Robin Hood, I guess (and not in the good Walt Disney way). Time needed to be filled and I guess if you are blinded by the previous star power, they could slip by without you going "THAT'S NOT A SUPERSTAR!"

Then in the next frame, they double down by putting the cast of Blondie (a comic nobody cares about. Not even in a "I hate it" way, it is just the ultimate comic strip filler) with Popeye and Olive Oyl. OK, I just bagged on Blondie, but people do recognize it at least, so that is a far amount of comic strip-star power. Popeye is an actual good character though. Blondie just inspired a sandwich. Nothing to sneeze at, I admit, but it doesn't make you excited about seeing the adventures of a guy who sometimes makes a big sandwich and his caterer wife who somehow gets top billing despite having no personality beyond being kind of hot and a caterer (in the early days she was a flapper or something, but America got sick of that shit real quick and married her off and turned her lame husband into the star)

Then we see... a baseball player. Should I recognize him as a famous one. Even if I knew baseball, I feel that the design is so weak, it could be almost any baseball player in a white uniform (I know little about uniforms either so I don't know if it is a specific uniform or just, as I suspect, a generic one). Well, any black baseball player, but still.

Then at 0:34, we get a double whammy of images and another word: NANNY. The pictures are of a Frankenstein looking monster and a woman who looks to be from the 19th century. I'm assuming that the words are related to the latter and the sinister laughter the former, but I'd be happy if it was the other way around. Also, that Frankenstein captures my imagination for reasons I cannot articulate. I admit it, I want to know his story.

Finally, we get a picture of a long-haired 70's style woman (Gidget maybe?) then our title again.

Did it make me want to watch it?

Not in particular. It wasn't offensive or anything, though it felt a little cacophonous towards the end.

Now I look on wikipedia to learn more about the show:

This is actually a bit more interesting than I expected. But as I expected, it was a series of hour-long movies of the week. But some of them are adaptions of other IP (should I feel guilty for using that term?), some of which wasn't animated outside of the show. The "movies" seemed to largely be original productions and many were intended to be TV pilots.

Interesting episodes (but not interesting enough that I want to watch them) include:

"Nanny and the Professor" based on a sitcom that somehow lasted for 3 seasons, but wasn't even referenced in MST3k, which is ridiculously damning. It left NO impression on anyone ever.

"Yogi's Ark Lark", which I will get back to in "Yogi's Gang" but features a ton of Hanna Barbera characters in a flying Ark, searching for paradise.

"Popeye Meets The Man Who Hated Laughter" which explains Popeye and Blondie being in the same frame, as it is the biggest team-up of comic strip casts at the time. Look at this list: Popeye, Blondie, Hi and Lois, Snuffy Smith, Beetle Bailey, Jiggs and Maggie, Steve Canyon, The Phantom, Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician, The Little King, and The Katzenjammer Kids. I will never watch this, but I really hope there's a part where the Katzenjammer Kids need to team up with the Phantom.

"Willie Mays and the Say-Hey Kid" OK, so the baseball player was Willie Mays. Also, it's a story that involves a guardian angel who agrees to help Willie win the pennant if he becomes the godfather to a little orphan girl. I'm sure it's supposed to be heartwarming but somehow this deal feels like it taints the good intentions. Am I just being cynical?

"The Red Baron" I guess it really was the Red Baron, and he's a hero. Go figure.

"Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies" - This took me by surprise, it's an original movie where great characters from the Looney Tunes meet the shitty characters from filmations The Groovie Ghoulies.

They also did Lost in Space and the Munsters, but who cares, really.

Anyway, could use some feedback on my post: Stupid and pointless or a waste of your time?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
For that matter, I don't know if more than a couple of good animated intros existed before the 1980s.

If you got a quarter-decent intro and a catchy song, then you just hit the jackpot.
Intros I can like pretty easily. There's some catchy stuff. I just meant the shows in general were terrible.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 04-16-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Trying to avoid ambiguity
Old 04-16-2016, 08:16 AM
Just bear with me

The 70s was a pretty dire time for cartoons, wasn't it? Even Looney Tunes wasn't very good back then.

I wanna suggest the very strange, rather unpleasant Tom and Jerry Comedy Show by Filmation, but that might have just missed the cut-off point at 1980. Feels very 1970s to me, though.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:24 AM

If I ever finish it, I'll tackle it in an 80's retrospective. There are some genuinely good cartoons in the 80's, so some of those will be less snark and some actual praise(looking forward to tackling the completely awesome DuckTales opening and theme).

Filmation is a pretty easy target. Also, it feels like they and HB were the only guys making cartoons back then. Not actually the case but they were both... I don't want to say prolific, since that could be misconstrued as praise. Abundant. Ubiquitous, I guess.

You know, I was going to watch the Godfather tonight and instead decided to do this. I think I made the right choice.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
So we got a lot of stars. And this wins points with me. I love the classic star-shape. It is simple, striking, all-purpose and if I ever get an eyepatch, that is what is going on it.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
DAMNED STRAIGHT!

EDIT: I just remembered I like hamburgers more than steak. Still, THE POINT STANDS!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Default The Addams Family

OK, question: should I update through the week or just do a big dump like this. For me it is Saturday night, but for you guys it's Saturday morning, the perfect time for this kind of stuff.

Anyway, next up:
The Addams Family

I love the Addams Family SO much. Even when (and this is common) the shows have the worst humour (check out the 1970's Halloween special/reunion show), the characters are so delightful and represent the kind of characters I love. What kind of characters? Well, I think that my favourite character in the Superman mythos, perhaps even more than Superman, is Bizarro. To him, goodbyes are hellos, impeding you is helping you, and pennies are the best Halloween treat. He's not evil, he's just built differently. He can be a threat, but it hard to hate him like you might hate Lex Luthor or Brainiac. It's not just that he's dumb, it's that he seems incompatible with the world. It can be funny, tragic (the Death of Bizarro is probably my favourite part of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?), engaging and all of the above.

The Addams are not far removed from that idea (their values are the inverse of most peoples) but they are so loving and accepting that while they value evil and the darkness, they never truly seem bad, no matter what they do. Plus, Gomez and Morticia would be the parents I would want if I was trapped in the world of fiction (and Gomez had the fortune of being played by Raul Julia and John Astin, both roles that help define their careers). It's a simple concept, but it works so well and the fact that it seems to reflect Gothic fiction rather than simply monsters as a family like the Munsters (though I have a fondness for them too) makes it feel a bit differently than if it was just a family of Draculas, Frankensteins and Creature from the Black Lagoons.
The characters are always pretty strong (except Pugsley. He CAN be good, but I always felt he was the series only also-ran member. I mean, I guess I could live without Grandmama but still...) and pitting them against the normal hoi polloi (especially in the classic "who is the REAL monster sense" is always pretty fun).

So this one...

We start off with a dark cloud that flashes lightning against an otherwise blue sky. We pan back and see that the cloud is over NOT the Addams House, but some sort of big Addams-mobile designed to look like their house as they drive through the desert. Now I cheated with this one and wikied it before watching it and while it doesn't explicitly say it, this is a "Addams Road Trip" series, so this vehicle makes sense. The Addams are a proudly sinful family, but I always feel like their biggest sin is that they are so in their own world that they bring it with them where ever they go. I don't think it is meant to be an indictment of modern day globetrotters (like me, who is content to go to other countries and try to live like I did in Canada) but it works. Of course, they would have an RV that's just their house on wheels.

Wow, saying nicer things about this than I thought I would. Let's change that: the "theme" is awful and anti-catchy. It's not unlistenable, but it gives an overall impression of unprofessionalism and a lack of cohesion. I feel that from a lot of these 70's openings, wherein it feels like there's no "chorus" to make the themes stand out. They feel more like weak interstitials. If they couldn't use the INCREDIBLY GREAT original theme, then they should have at least had something you could hum. But instead it changes every few minutes from one musical shade a beige to another.

I also already don't like that octopus. There's not really anything "evil" about octopi. It's sort of like when the Simpsons mock themselves for the idea that aliens have something to do with Halloween. I mean, they are weird looking, but it feel like it made a bad call. If they wanted to give them a new pet, it should have been a monster or something.

OK, next we have the Addams pull up to a National Park entrance. Gomez allows Thing to pay his nickel and the park ranger is understandable spooked. Thing is actually grizzlier here than I've ever seen him, with a big scar that seems to implied he was once chopped up. I don't dislike it but I think I prefer the cleaner, traditional look. Also, no offense to the Barry Sonnenfield movies, but I also like Thing just living in that box. Makes it more mysterious, ya know.

Now we see a "Do Not Feed the Bears" sign, clearly modified by an ambitious bear in an effort to get free food. Lurch opens the door and terrifies the bear. A classic gag, but I kind of expected that rather than Lurch scaring away the bear, it would be Grandmama's food. You introduce the topic of food like that, it seems like the logical place to go.

Speaking of, after a quick establishing shot of the Addamses on the road again, we get Grandmama (I keep wanting to say Granny, but that's The Beverly Hillbillies) cooking up a sinister stew (or perhaps a sinful soup, or a baneful broth or a chilling chowder or a terrible tom yum) and Thing is helping from within the cauldren. Not special, but it will get you to the next scene, I guess. It's at this point, I realize that it isn't a scar across Thing's wrist, but that after a certain point, he is a furry monster. Ugh. I much preferred it when I thought he had a gnarly scar.

The Addams' then stop at Mount Rushmore. Uncle Fester says "Hey, look." Wait, did they miss it up until this point? Like "whoa, that took me by surprise". I feel like "Hey, look." is a phrase for when you point out something someone is missing or could miss. Or does Fester have the second sight, knowing that the visage of America's kookiest family would cause a "well, I never" reaction in the giant recreations of America's founding fathers.

I kind of like that reaction shot, with their surprise causing an avalanche (including George Washington's immense stone wig. Roosevelt does get to keep his stone glasses, through, which merely flip on his face).

In our last scene, the Addams drive into a trailer park and they immediately create a shark-filled moat using a device inside their RV-house. The Addams come pouring out (BTW, Pugsley looks weirdly generic. Like, he's kind of ugly, but it would be easy to mistake him for a non-Addams) and scare everyone else away. It is at this point we get a hint (but only a hint) of the classic theme song used for the 60's interpretations of the characters. Sad really. A family picture is taken by the octopus and a vulture, which I am just realizing was on the front of the vehicle the whole time. A vulture feels way more appropriate for the Addams. People associate it with death but it's not an inherently evil animal and is, in the words of Crow T. Robot, "actually a clean and helpful bird". Just like the Addams, it is the victim of prejudice. We get our family photo, the title pops up and thus ends the theme song.

Did It Make Me Want To Watch It?

Not really. My love for those characters doesn't extend that far. It is a bit dull looking (though I kind of like the bear's reaction shot when he is scared) and it isn't enough of an oddity to merit "morbid curiosity" viewing, like some stuff I'll get too later.

Jackie Coogan and Ted Cassidy reprise their roles. But no John Aston, NO DEAL. (He did reprise the role in other cartoons, though).

Oh, shit. I just realized what Grandmama was stirring was probably a... get ready for it... it's coming... here it is... A GHOULASH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'M PRICELESS!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Intros I can like pretty easily. There's some catchy stuff. I just meant the shows in general were terrible.
I certainly can't argue there, but even the intros, short as they were, were often a struggle to suffer through. Especially with Hanna Barbara's output.

I think Challenge of the Superfriends is as good as they got.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 AM

This I agree with. I think HB was best lampooned in the Simpsons without even mocking their particular style: In "The Day the Violence Died" original Itchy Creator points out that Roger Meyers Senior basically just came up with alliterative names for characters and stopped their. After pouring over much of the output of HB, that's exactly what happened with them, much of the time. Also, Marge's "How about... Ghost Mutt!" is one of my all time favourite Marge lines.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

That little cloud that follows the vehicle around is delightful.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Just bear with me

I coulda sworn they had a 90s Addams Family cartoon that looked very much like this one. ABC, I think?
Old 04-16-2016, 02:43 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
America was America crazy. I guess it always is, but I feel America's America-craze was a different animal than the America-craze of the 80's.
The America-craze of the 70's was fueld by patriotism, the craze of the 80's was fueled by cocaine (like everything else at the time).

Quote:
Oh, shit. I just realized what Grandmama was stirring was probably a... get ready for it... it's coming... here it is... A GHOULASH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'M PRICELESS!
Johnny, are you actually John Kassir (or one of the writers he worked with)?
Old 04-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

Going through the list you linked, and wow... I always knew that the state of cartoons were pretty dang dire in the 1970s, but...

They made Laff-a-lympics and thought it was such a good idea that they made it a second time.

Three quarters of these I only know from Harvey Birdman
Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM

Just looked back on the list since you mentioned it. Saw Galaxy Goof-Ups. Looked it up. Here's the first couple sentences in that entry.

Quote:
Galaxy Goof-Ups was a 30-minute Saturday morning animated series, spin-off of Yogi's Space Race and fourth incarnation of the Yogi Bear saga produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and broadcast on NBC from September 9, 1978 to September 1, 1979.
Guess which word caught my attention the most.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

They... they really liked that bear
Old 04-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I coulda sworn they had a 90s Addams Family cartoon that looked very much like this one. ABC, I think?
There was indeed a 90's cartoon, though the only thing it has in common with this one are using similar designs for Pugsley and Wednesday (instead of making them more like their movie selves).

Also, and this is important, the 90's cartoon intro actually uses the theme song.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM

Now here's what wikipedia says about sagas

Quote:
Sagas are stories mostly about ancient Nordic and Germanic history, about early Viking voyages, the battles that took place during the voyages, about migration to Iceland and of feuds between Icelandic families. They were written in the Old Norse language, mainly in Iceland.

The texts are tales in prose which share some similarities with the epic, often with stanzas or whole poems in alliterative verse embedded in the text, of heroic deeds of days long gone, "tales of worthy men," who were often Vikings, sometimes pagan, sometimes Christian. The tales are usually realistic, except legendary sagas, sagas of saints, sagas of bishops and translated or recomposed romances. They are sometimes romanticised and fantastic, but always dealing with human beings one can understand
Applying ANY of this to Yogi Bear is one of the most fun games you can play.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuarzo Falcone View Post
There was indeed a 90's cartoon, though the only thing it has in common with this one are using similar designs for Pugsley and Wednesday (instead of making them more like their movie selves).

Also, and this is important, the 90's cartoon intro actually uses the theme song.
AND John Astin is in it. I love that dude.

Wait, let me check something.

Oh, cool. He's still alive. Yay!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Now here's what wikipedia says about sagas [...]

Applying ANY of this to Yogi Bear is one of the most fun games you can play.
Yogi the Barbearian.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Oh, cool. He's still alive. Yay!
He actually made a guest appearance in the live-action Addams Family series that aired in the early 2000s as Gomez's grandfather.

I miss Raul Julia.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:46 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
He actually made a guest appearance in the live-action Addams Family series that aired in the early 2000s as Gomez's grandfather.

I miss Raul Julia.
Everyone does.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Remembers Love

I'm pretty sure this is the absolute nadir of Western Culture:

Cartoons would continue being super hacky for about another half a decade, but at least most them would be service of selling cool toys. I have no idea who this was for.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 AM

Skipping The Adventures of Batman and the Adventures of Gulliver. According to their sites they began and ended in the late 60's. And All About You doesn't really fit my criteria, as the opening isn't even animated and it's mostly live-action educational stuff. Just in case your wondering why I jumped to the next one.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:58 AM

Default The All-New Popeye Hour

The All-New Popeye Hour

OK, so we start with the logo. It's a life preserver. So far, so good.

Popeye's doing a little jig followed by a procession of his cast. It's standard but it makes sense. But if you were a fan of Popeye before, the problem with this adaptation is apparent: it's Hanna Barbera. Not to say Hanna Barbera can't make a good show with it's limited animation but...

See, now that isn't a perfect cartoon, but it has some really cool, smooth animation that befits the characters. This, however, it just stilted and weird. You can get away with that for Super Friends (they are based on still-drawings of superheroes) but with Popeye, it just seems wrong.

And I know it is unfair, because I imagine the budgets and time for a Hanna Barbera cartoon probably make it hard to make a good product. But you could probably catch classic Popeye on TV, only to find that these is the new adventures you are stuck with.

OK, next we Popeye walking along and Bluto walking the other way. I guess he looks angry but usually looks angry, so it seems odd that Popeye is breaking out the spinach so fast-- OH NO, POPEYE HEARD MY COMPLAINT AND IS NOW TAKING HIS SPINACH FUELED AGGRESSION OUT ON ME, THE AUDIENCE!

From then on, it's general Bluto antagonism, with him turning Popeye into laundry and then trapping him in a box and send the box into space via rocket (whose rocket is that. Is there just a rocket sitting on the top of a building, waiting to be used and has keys in the ignition? Someone fucked up).

Anyway, then Popeye eats some spinach and gets revenge and it's kind of dull looking. We get another cast shot, the classic Popeye song (hey, whatever happened to living in a garbage can?) and a cast shot.

Did It Make Me Want To Watch It?
Absolutely not. Again, like the Addams family, it doesn't look crazy weird or oddball and it certainly doesn't look genuinely good. It does use the classic theme song at the end but the theme in between is pretty weak and unfocused.

Very little going on except that despite the dull look, this seems to be a bit of a course correction (SAILOR PUN) from the 60's version, which was slightly less stiff but gave the characters generic new looks and inexplicably renamed Bluto "Brutus". I also think Olive's design is subtley different in a way I really don't like.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
The All-New Popeye Hour

OK, so we start with the logo. It's a life preserver. So far, so good.

Popeye's doing a little jig followed by a procession of his cast. It's standard but it makes sense. But if you were a fan of Popeye before, the problem with this adaptation is apparent: it's Hanna Barbera. Not to say Hanna Barbera can't make a good show with it's limited animation but...

See, now that isn't a perfect cartoon, but it has some really cool, smooth animation that befits the characters. This, however, it just stilted and weird. You can get away with that for Super Friends (they are based on still-drawings of superheroes) but with Popeye, it just seems wrong.
I think the difference is that the Fleischer Popeye cartoons are one of the greatest artistic achievements of the 20th century, and the All New Popeye Show is an abomination in the eyes of all right-thinking peoples.

The sad thing is I sat through so many of those terrible All New Popeyes as a kid that the title sequence is imprinted on my brain. I hated it at the time, so why did I keep watching? God knows.

It included a baffling regular segment where Olive Oyl and Alice Goon were army recruits. Why?? What was the obsession with 70's cartoons having characters "join the army"? Can anyone explain this?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 AM

Specifically 1980. That was both the premier date of the Laverne and Shirley show AND the date of when those Private Olive Oyl started. According to wikipedia, it's inspired by Private Benjamin. Was it THAT much of a hit that cartoons were insistent on emulating it?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:49 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Why did Popeye and Bluto fight over Olive so much?
Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
the 60's version, which was slightly less stiff but gave the characters generic new looks and inexplicably renamed Bluto "Brutus".
Believe it or not, there is a history behind this.