The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 AM
I. Love. It.

Default In 2017: Life will once again be like a Hurricane (New DuckTales!)

I'm not even kidding.

DuckTales Remastered was probably no small help, either. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but come on, it's DuckTales.

My only real fear is Scrooge's VA is REALLY getting up there in years, how long could he keep going with the character? And they can't NOT have him either.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 02-25-2015 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Didn't notice the post about it in the Cartoons super thread but just try and tell me this doesn't deserve its own.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 AM
Outer Space Man

I'm super stoked for this. I hope Disney pays attention to what made the series what it is though, and doesn't try to "Quack Pack" it.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Megaman X View Post
I'm super stoked for this. I hope Disney pays attention to what made the series what it is though, and doesn't try to "Quack Pack" it.
The Junior Woodchuck Guide will be an ebook on HD&L's quackPad.

The Money Bin will be filled with bitcoins.

Bubba will still be a cave duck --as in, a duck from before smartphones.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM
certified comics master

As important as Alan Young's voice is for the Scrooge McDuck character for me, I dunno... He's nearly almost 100 and he sounded good, yet tired in the DuckTales Remastered game. And I don't mean that to be insulting; it was absolutely heartwarming to hear as many of the original cast as they could get for that game! Young and June Foray are gods, especially.

But for a brand-new cartoon series? Hm. I mean, it's up to Young and Foray to decide if they're gonna go for it or not, but I wouldn't mind other actors taking up their mantles if it came to that. Worked out fine for TaleSpin.

...Except for the part where Louis Prima's widow sued Disney over using her husband's voice and and persona, that is!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM
I. Love. It.

I honestly can't fathom who could replace Young and Foray, though. But you are right, Scrooge did sound a bit worn out in Remastered, he might not have it in him to start a new TV series, especially one that could be on the air for who knows how long.

And of course, the show isn't being made for the old fans. Remastered? THAT was for the old fans. And it probably made some new ones too, but overall the new audience they'll be marketing this new cartoon to won't have the nostalgia for Young's performance that the adults will. It might be just as well to find a new voice for Scrooge.

Still kind of a depressing thought, all the same.

(Foray I could see them keeping until she's no longer working, one way or the other, it was like she hadn't missed a beat in Remastered)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
And of course, the show isn't being made for the old fans. Remastered? THAT was for the old fans. And it probably made some new ones too, but overall the new audience they'll be marketing this new cartoon to won't have the nostalgia for Young's performance that the adults will. It might be just as well to find a new voice for Scrooge.
Scrooge McDuck is the very best cartoon character in the world, and has managed to be so in more than one pair of hands. Alan Young will always be the voice of Scrooge to me but there's nothing wrong with passing on the torch. Maybe have Alan Young voice McDuck ancestors in flashbacks or something, like how Scooby Doo! kept Casey Kasem on even after Matthew Lillard took over Shaggy.

Anyway, I am delighted. Disney knows how to make great cartoon series these days, so in the right hands I could see the new show outdoing the uneven 80s show. I just have three major hopes:

- A more miserly Scrooge. Cartoons are better nowadays about giving characters negative traits which don't go away at the end of the episode. 80s Scrooge has his moments, but he's cheery more often than not, and his fortune is depicted as almost entirely a good thing. Scrooge's fortune makes him miserable in Barks/Rosa's comics. I don't think he should be unlikable, but make him at least a little more prickly.

- More Donald. He can't be as talkative as in the comics but he should show up more than he did in the original. Disney has no good reason to keep him off the show.

- Scrooge should still be a Gold Rush-era prospector, no matter how little sense that makes, because his Yukon flashbacks are the best.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
so exciting!

yes but is it going to be really awkward cgi animation
Old 02-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Little Waves

The consensus on DuckTales in retrospect seems to be "It was okay, but it should have been more like the comics." So I hope that's where they take it this time.

And yeah, an Alan Young sound-alike who's slightly off wouldn't be the end of the world, because the man himself sounds slightly off at this point.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:59 PM

I can't wait till some time in 2017.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Family Man

Please be 2D animation! Please be 2D animation!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

I know Zef is joking, but a Junior Woodchuck's ebook makes a lot of sense. Hell, Penny has been pulling that trick in Inspector Gadget since '82. And her's was an actual book.

Anyway, I think you can keep it true to the Barks' books while also making it a more serialized show, sort of in the way that the first few episodes were, as well as how Gravity Falls is now. It would be great if there was a season long caper/treasure hunt that takes them around the world and back in time and stuff while still allowing for smaller, sillier tales around the mansion.

I think they should also adapt The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (and the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck companion) piecemeal over the course of the series (which, again, the original Ducktales did from time to time).

I also agree with Sprite on all suggestions (though you know, Scrooge was plenty miserly in the first series). In addition, add more Gladstone Gander. He only appeared in about one or two episodes, if memory serves. Oh, and Glittering Goldie!

And while others might disagree, I'm not against bringing back Gizmoduck or Bubba Duck. However, the problem is that when they were introduced, they basically took over the show (Bubba was particularly problematic, since I hated the character. I'm only OK with him being back since I'm sure the concept of a young caveduck isn't irredeemably broken, simply a victim of the Poochie effect), so they should only show up very occasionally (like once or twice per season and even then, wait until at least season two).

....also, Ducktective crossover please. If Cartoon Network can do an Uncle Grandpa/Steven Universe crossover, Disney can do this.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
....also, Ducktective crossover please. If Cartoon Network can do an Uncle Grandpa/Steven Universe crossover, Disney can do this.
Say what?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Say what?
Apparently Rebecca and the team wanted to do it. It's a Steven Universe episode so that team is doing it.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 AM
That crazy bird guy

Found this on Don Rosa's official Facebook page, not posted by Rosa himself, but by his friend (and german translator/editor) Jano:

Quote:
Dear Rosa fans, in light of the Disney Channel's announcement that they're gonna do "new DuckTales" episodes for a 2017 release over at their Disney XD branch, please let me assure you that Don is in no way affiliated or involved with this, and he wouldn't even be interested in being. So it's no use speculating about that. We got no details about Disney's plans, and IF they actually do end up using material from Don's stories for this series (which they can since it's all their property anyway), it will definitely be without Don's active involvement and most likely without him even knowing it before such an episode airs. So no, Don will NOT write for the show, and he also won't be a "consultant" on it or anything. That's nothing he'd be interested in doing, apart from the fact that they probably wouldn't even ask him to come on board in the first place.

Apart from that, please let me remind you that it's NOT true that "Don hates DuckTales" or anything like that you might have read somewhere on the internet. He actually thinks it's one of the best animated shows ever and enjoys it quite a lot. He just believes it's not an accurate representation of the Duckburg universe from the comics (with grumpy old miser Scrooge suddenly living in a luxery mansion, for instance, and becoming a charming old grampa type of character), but that doesn't make it a less enjoyable series.

We'll see how those "new episodes" turn out. I think it's safe to say they won't have the same feeling as the original cel-animated version, but will probably rather be along the lines of that computer-colored style of Disney's later tv shows (like "Mickey Mouse Works" or "House of Mouse") or even done in full CGI, who knows. This project might turn out great... and if not, there are still more than 100 episodes of the original series to rewatch.

-- Jano
Thought this could be interesting to bring out there, as Rosa's name is already mentioned, and there could be speculation if he's involved.

Personally, I do hope they take inspiration from his stories, in the same way many of the episodes of the original show mirrors classic Barks stories.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figcube View Post
Apparently Rebecca and the team wanted to do it. It's a Steven Universe episode so that team is doing it.
Yeah, weird, right? I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, but it's such a contrast that I have trouble seeing how it will come out.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Say what?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:56 AM

I can't see the problem with somebody else doing Scrooge's voice. Look at the Aladdin series. They had somebody else do Genie and he was fine.

Speaking of revising cartoons, I heard they are bring back Inspector Gadget. Now that should be interesting
Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 AM

DiC tried a few times but... DiC sucks.

Anyway, I don't mind either if they changed voices (though if they were to slip in Alan Young as Scrooge's dad...), but it is such an iconic voice and while simple, I have trouble thinking of anyone else to match it. I remember watching the Time Machine and then freaked out when I noticed the main character's friend had the voice of Scrooge McDuck (and I understand he did a reading of the book recently, too).

Oh and in research, I found Alan Young will voice Scrooge again... in an episode of the upcoming Mickey Mouse cartoon, created by Paul Rudish, who co-created Sym-Bionic Titan.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
DiC tried a few times but... DiC sucks.

Anyway, I don't mind either if they changed voices (though if they were to slip in Alan Young as Scrooge's dad...), but it is such an iconic voice and while simple, I have trouble thinking of anyone else to match it. I remember watching the Time Machine and then freaked out when I noticed the main character's friend had the voice of Scrooge McDuck (and I understand he did a reading of the book recently, too).

Oh and in research, I found Alan Young will voice Scrooge again... in an episode of the upcoming Mickey Mouse cartoon, created by Paul Rudish, who co-created Sym-Bionic Titan.
I similarly had the illusion shattered back when I caught Mr. Ed on Nick and Nite. Which may be why I became kind of oddly fascinated with voice actors and get a kick out of when I recognize a voice. Likewise, speaking of Gadget I noticed that Maxwell Smart and Inspector Gadget had the same voice (Hell, similar characters, even). Or Gyro Gearloose's voice coming out of a character from a Christian radio show. I wonder if I'm weird in consuming an usual amount of old TV shows via Nick at Nite for my age.

Also, stop trying to prematurely bury Alan Young, guys. Dude could outlive us all for all we know.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Anyway, I don't mind either if they changed voices (though if they were to slip in Alan Young as Scrooge's dad...)
An idea someone had that I liked was for him to voice the guy who gives Scrooge his first dime.

Anyway, I REALLY hope we get a special Darkwing Duck guest episode.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 AM
D=

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
An idea someone had that I liked was for him to voice the guy who gives Scrooge his first dime.
I thought that was his dad, though?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
I thought that was his dad, though?
Not in DuckTales. In that, he starts as a shoeshine, only to find his first customer is a man who's boots are so dirty, they are literally bricks of dirt. Scrooge works hard and finally cleans them and the happy customer gives him a dime as a reward.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Crazy Old Bird

As far as I know, Don Rosa's Scrooge is the only one with a consistent chronology, because Rosa's the only creator who made canon a priority.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Not in DuckTales. In that, he starts as a shoeshine, only to find his first customer is a man who's boots are so dirty, they are literally bricks of dirt. Scrooge works hard and finally cleans them and the happy customer gives him a dime as a reward.
In Life & Times, it happens the same way, but not as a reward --the guy was a Yank and was deliberately swindling a little kid, because there was no way to spend or even exchange an American coin in Scotland. Scrooge keeps the dime not because it was his first wage, or because of the work it represents; he keeps it as a reminder that there will always be people out to cheat him out of his hard-earned cash, so he has to be "smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies" in order to make it in the world.

Later on, he becomes attached to the dime, of course, because it inspired him to travel to its country of origin --America-- and make a life for himself there. Without the dime, he probably would've just gotten an ordinary local job and lived an ordinary life in his hometown.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Didn't his father set the whole thing up, though?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 AM
#deadfish2017

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Staffing announcements and new teaser poster!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Waaaaaaaaant
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM
D=

Donald is quickly becoming my favorite character of the reboot, and the show hasn't even started yet.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:24 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Donald is already fed up with this shit in the first image shown.

Tags
aeroplanes , animation , d d d danger , disney , doctor whooge , ducktales! , ducktor who , gravity falls with ducks , lasers , racecars , rewrite history , solve a mystery , who is dewey , woo-oo