The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Disclaimer: Godzilla might only fight one other monster.
But by golly he will rule over it like a king would.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Conquers the World

Kinda weird that it shares its name with the Raymond Burr cut of the original Godzilla but I guess it's not their fault that happens to be an incredible title
Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Safe Space

Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
i musnt run away

Old 03-26-2017, 11:20 PM
Jump and shoot?

I saw Shin Godzilla recently. As someone who likes the concept of Godzilla, but hasn't bothered watching any of them because 90% of the run time does not involve Godzilla (from my understanding), this gave me what I wanted. That is, Godzilla being a problem and various humans trying to solve that problem, and very little else. Overall, I liked it, despite what the following may sound like. A few random comments:

I didn't realize the behavior of the Japanese higher-ups was meant as a joke. This looked like the perfectly understandable result of a bunch of people trying to follow a chain of command meant for slow, deliberate actions, in a situation that doesn't fall under any particular person's authority and demands an immediate response. I genuinely felt bad for them.

Everything involving this Godzilla being sickly and unnatural and practically falling apart was awesome.

I didn't quite follow the logic of trying to freeze its blood (and coolant) in an attempt to force it into a controlled shutdown phase. That is, it seemed like a wild assumption that this thing even had a shutdown phase, and wouldn't just explode/meltdown all over the city.

Somebody brought up "what if it reaches the nuclear plant?" at some point. I had thought that maybe it came ashore looking for radioactive material to eat, since that's apparently what it had been doing underwater. I wish they'd gone with that, since there didn't seem to be any other reason why it decided to show up now.

The whole subplot with the scientist that discovered it felt like half of it had been left on the cutting room floor, and the origami encryption puzzle was incredibly silly. I don't mind silly, but I wish that had either gone somewhere or been dropped.

So...they dropped multiple buildings on it, THEN drove vehicles right up next to it. And knew exactly what direction it was going to move, and that it would stay on the tracks long enough for the trains to hit it directly, and that the trains would knock it over and somehow keep the roads clear for more vehicles. That's a whole lot of guesswork that worked out perfectly.

I don't even care, attacking Godzilla with trains is awesome.

After completely incapacitating Godzilla by the power of a city's worth of teamwork, one of the main characters is like "whelp, guess we're going to have to live with this now." Some of the themes were too on the nose in places, but this was particularly cringey. You aren't even going to try finishing off an enemy that can no longer fight back?

And now the reason I'm even posting:

Was anyone else extremely creeped out by the first full shot of Godzilla? I now know precisely how people who are afraid of spiders feel when they see one. I can't remember the last time I've had such a strong "ewfuckNOGETITAWAYAHHHH" reaction to anything, ever, and I think house centipedes are cute. Looking around the internet, most people apparently laughed at this. Is it just me?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Knuckle View Post
And now the reason I'm even posting:

Was anyone else extremely creeped out by the first full shot of Godzilla? I now know precisely how people who are afraid of spiders feel when they see one. I can't remember the last time I've had such a strong "ewfuckNOGETITAWAYAHHHH" reaction to anything, ever, and I think house centipedes are cute. Looking around the internet, most people apparently laughed at this. Is it just me?
I find it legitimately creepy, but divorced from the context of the film, I can see how people would find it cute, too.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

it was creepy, and cute, and funny.

Things can make you feel more than one thing.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Find Your Reason

This just came out/is about to come out in Japan on Blu-Ray, right? When will it be released over here?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
This just came out/is about to come out in Japan on Blu-Ray, right? When will it be released over here?
Yeah, it came out on the 22nd.

Usually there's a half year or so gap, give or take a few months. There are exceptions, though, like the endlessly delayed Evangelion 3.33. My guess is that this has a pretty smooth path to an international release, though...
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Space Prez

It is still getting theatrical releases in some international markets, I think Germany was just in the last few weeks. So it could be a while.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
it was creepy, and cute, and funny.

Things can make you feel more than one thing.
Yeah. It's a pitiable being that's extremely deadly. It makes me feel several things at once and that's creepier and more memorable than a generic angry monster.

It's also got silly googly eyes that might make me laugh if I didn't find it all so unsettling.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Jump and shoot?

For me it was the immediate combination of the googly deep-sea-fish eyes and the extreme wobbling motion that just screamed "this does not belong here." It's more shoving itself down the road than walking, and seems relatively upright more by accident than on purpose.

It was really good, is all I'm saying.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
oh my car

Godzilla never grows eyelids at any point in the movie.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Godzilla never grows eyelids at any point in the movie.
There is that membrane that covers his (its?) eyes during the breath scene, if you want to count that.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Shin Godzilla out on Blu Ray on August 1st
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 PM
This Guy

I watched Godzilla versus Biollante with my 2 year old nephew. I've never seen him more excited than when Godzilla was stomping around, other than when he saw a guy drive a jeep. The best part was him waving goodbye to Godzilla as he walked off into the ocean at the end.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Video Monster

Yes! Get 'em started young!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM
oh my car

Quote:
I caught this in theaters last year and I want to say: see this movie if you haven't.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Little Waves

Yeah, anyone who missed its extremely limited theatrical run should know it is Really Good.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM
We just don't know.

Very Agree
Old 07-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Find Your Reason

All I want out of the Blu Ray is a) a director's commentary, and b) the God Warrior short that was bundled in with the theatrical Evangelion 3.33 1/3rd and nowhere else.

Or maybe a soundtrack-only version of the film, too.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 08-03-2017, 10:32 PM
i musnt run away

Wait a minute.

Shin G.

DAAAAAMN YOOOOU ANNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:11 PM
i musnt run away

Well since I'm nowhere near emotionally healthy enough to unpack that horrifying realization let's instead talk about

Kong: Skull Island

Which I am a bit overdue to review but I added it to my collection and watched it last week and now see fit to add it here.

It begins with a beleaguered John Goodman of Monarch struggling to find the funding to keep the organization, which was funded in the 40s, from going under. His father was on a boat that was attacked by something, presumably Godzilla. Anyway he's got a lead on this place, called Skull Island, and if he can just get a crew together to go there he knows they can find something amazing that will justify it all.

Sound familiar? Anyway it does actually diverge a lot from there. There is a woman with them who damsels in distress a little but definitely is no an automated screaming machine. Nor is the dude who keeps his shit together on the team just a machismo-driven dick who thinks of the ape as a big dumb beast. You've also got a plot that takes place entirely on the island, doesn't even end with Kong getting captured. Just has a run-in with a General Ripper out for his blood and some of the horrifying ancient monstrosities that his species seemingly protects the bigger world from. At least they would if he weren't the last one.

There's tribals too but they're wise and calm people who instead respect Kong for being a mighty, if scary protector. Also John C. Fucking Reilly and he's great and he makes it all worth it and gets to drop a really really well-placed PG-13 F-Bomb. Seriously it's showa style goodness which is what I want right now, not Anno's grimdark but also weirdly sterile bullshit.

THE MONSTERS

Kong: Great design. He's apparently young and still small in this one, it takes place in the 70's. Or late 60's. Anyway he's got that looks like an animal but not any kind of real animal, stands up too straight, thing going on which is good, that's how Kong should be, and he's aggressive and resourceful and a great opponent to fight. I'm really looking forward to how he and Godzilla are gonna go at it. I just hope they have a good reason or a really really dumb reason for it to happen.

The Skull Crawlers: Like, basically filling the same role as the MUTOs in that they're uglier and more horrifying than the Title Monster so we want him to beat them. And they are horrific, for sure. They eat that one dude who wanted to go back to his family. Just fucking, digest his ass, horrifically. So yeah we'll side with Kong, thank you very much. They feel less "kaiju worthy of remembering by name" as the MUTOs were for me though, and more "generic beast to be taken down". Very dark souls in design though. Yikes.

THE PEOPLE

I said the thing about John C. Reilly, right? Good. He's fantastic. Everyone else is serviceable.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

The Skull Crawlers bugged me all movie because they looked so familiar and I couldn't put my finger on what it is they looked like.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The Skull Crawlers bugged me all movie because they looked so familiar and I couldn't put my finger on what it is they looked like.
Composite of half the reptilian creature designs in scifi since, what, Pitch Black
Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM
i musnt run away

Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Composite of half the reptilian creature designs in scifi since, what, Pitch Black
Well... yes, but something more specific than that.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 PM
i musnt run away

Toho Monsters and Daikaiju: What Do They Do? Do They Do Things? Let's Find Out

So I keep mulling Shin G over and over in my head, especially after having just recently watched it again, and I'm just still unable to quite understand the praise.

Like, there are things it does well. Godzilla's silhouette is pretty cool in his final form. The weirdly optimistic message about public servants as well as corporate tech chiefs in other countries being kind, honest people who want to help and save lives lands well. But is this a movie that I want to go back and watch? With the enthusiasm with which I'd watch Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster, Biollante, Legendary Godzilla? Hell no.

What I meant about "Anno's grimdark but weirdly sterile bullshit" up there is that there's this big claim that the movie is trying to make Godzilla something scary again. Something unnatural and monstrous. I think first of all that was never technically an aspect of the character. In the original film he was certainly an ominous and overwhelming presence but still felt like a living creature, and had the pathos of one as well with the mournful tone of his execution at the end. Shin Godzilla on the other hand, for as thought-provoking as that song that plays during his breath scene is, doesn't seem like a living creature. He seems like a demonic nightmare brought to life.

Which I could maybe roll with, if it weren't for the fact that other than his incredibly well-lit horrific appearance, he doesn't actually do much of any goddamn thing. Why is he even walking on land? Where's he going? The entire first half of the movie is just him moving in a straight line basically with no personality of any kind. Everything he does is purely reactionary. Maybe it's eerie, but it's not interesting, it's not watchable, and it doesn't make him feel like the nightmarish threat the movie makes him out to be.

One thing that might have helped is a body count. Besides that one family shown in the collapsing building near the beginning and the PM's entourage being wiped out where are the consequences and tragedies caused by his presence? Everything's dryly summed up in property damage and economics. Which could be fine in a lighter tone film about space cyborg chickens and gentleman sentai robots punching each other but by placing all viewpoint characters so far away from Godzilla he never feels like a real presence.

And don't get me started about that post-breath shutdown. God that's a cheap narrative tactic to take. Literally having your title monster shut down like a damn car that's run out of gas is one of the most de-fanging things you can possibly do. You could cut a good half hour out of the movie, have the heroes start working on the freezing plan much earlier, and have a much tighter, funner film where the climax actually feels like a skin-of-their-teeth accomplishment. Instead it's just and excuse to drag things out for almost literally an hour and weeks in-movie as characters slowly move things into place.

And the plan going off so perfectly without a hitch at the end? That's boring. You're boring everyone. Quit boring everyone!. It's difficult enough to make a Godzilla vs. Japan story interesting, but after being utterly baffled and stymied by Godzilla's complete imperviousness several times, the heroes suddenly being able to knock him over twice and pump coagulent into his guts (what guts, by the way, does this version of Godzilla even have a digestive tract? He doesn't even look like he has a throat) while each time he is stunned for precisely the right amount of time and none of his wayward blast-out-for-miles nuke beams hit the heroes or their trucks or cause any kind of problems they have to overcome...

I just don't get it. Honestly it feels like a Showa Gamera movie, with the majority of the screentime being Men Around Tables talking about How To Beat The Monster rather than interesting and meaningful scenes with the monster itself. The social satire and commentary on the interminable meetings and political discussions doesn't hold up on subsequent viewings, because now they're just expository chores to slog through while waiting for the movie's small handful of exciting scenes to occur.

Also the dub calls him Gojira in english and there is just no Hell hot enough for the bastard who made that call.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

RIP Haruo Nakajima - Thank you for inspiring a love of science, government, and giant, terrible, but in the end loveable giant monsters in me.

Tags
anno is displeased , dizzaster film , godzilla , gojira , hilarious android , kaiju , spoiler: godzilla wins , writers a and b