The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 PM
matrix tuxedo mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Not that I'm in any position to contradict you, since all I remember about said game is that I said "Hey! This GameCube game is Perfectly Decent! Yippee." when I played it. But wasn't its plot (such as it was) that the Planet X guys are trying the exact same plan again, but using more monsters this time?
That's because the aliens in Destroy All Monsters basically have the exact same plan.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Conquers the World

The Sexy Alien Lady was played by Kumi Mizuno. You'll see her again as the Sexy Island Native in Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster. Before anyone else makes this joke, yes, I would totally like to visit Sexy Island.

Fun Fact (Celebrity Gossip Edition): Mizuno starred opposite the American guy, Nick Adams, again that same year in Frankenstein Conquers the World. It's rumored that the two of them had an affair and that it's what caused Adams's marriage back home to fall apart. Apparently Adams was hardcore in love with her. I've heard Mizuno later said in interviews that Adams actually proposed to her, but she declined since she was already engaged.

EDIT: I finally got curious enough to look up an interview with Mizuno. Turns out this romance was a lot more comically one-sided:

Quote:
Macias: Ok, I have a lot of questions about (co-star) Nick Adams.

Kumi: Nick was known in America and I was known in Japan, so they put us together. We had a translator working on the set so we could communicate.

Macias: Was it difficult working like that?

Kumi: No. Even though we didn’t speak the same language, the basic emotions were the same. As long as I was paying attention to Nick’s expression, I could understand what he was saying.

Macias: What kind of guy was he?

Mizuno: He was gentle, especially compared to (War of the Garganutas co-star) Russ Tamblyn, who was cold. But maybe it was because he came to Japan with his wife and he couldn’t get too involved with the staff and cast. But Nick was very warm. I even invited him over to my house after the shoot. His gentleness somehow turned into a marriage proposal. He even told me, “I will divorce my wife to be with you!”

Macias: And then?!!?

Mizuno: I turned him down.

Macias: There is a rumor in America that he went crazy after being turned down by you…(Adams died of an apparent drug overdose in 1968).

Kumi: No, no. I don’t think so. When I turned him down, I knew that he had already proposed to another actress at Toho. Maybe he misunderstood me when I invited him over.

Macias: What else did he do to try and win you over?

Mizuno: While he was staying in Japan, he called me every night on the phone. Since I didn’t speak English, I had to keep checking a dictionary to understand him.

Macias: What sort of things did he say?

Kumi (In English): “Kumi, I love you! I love you!”

Last edited by Guy; 03-05-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Time for talking

Wow, cool thread! I'd only ever seen the Matthew Broderick version (which, admittedly, has a fantastic soundtrack. I mean, it does. I know people in England who knows Godzilla as "that movie Jamiroquai did the song for."), and now I kind of want to watch the original to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Hmm, no, the Perfectly Decent Godzilla Gamecube Game was called Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (or God DAMM as my friends and I liked to call it), named for Destroy All Monsters, which is generally a better movie than this piece of shit.
You and your friends are good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I know people in England who knows Godzilla as "that movie Jamiroquai did the song for.").
I'd say these people aren't but they know Maggie so I might be able to forgive them.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Better be the real thing.

I wasn't sure whether to post this earlier, but when I was looking for some good shots of NES Gezora, I also found this head-scratchular NES Godzilla creepypasta.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
You nuts dude. Monster Zero is the best Godzilla movie. "Where is the SHIP... GLEN."

They have elf shoes too. It's pretty amazing.
Monster Zero is a blast! You lack vision Blinkpen! The movie came out at the height of the UFO craze and it combined flying saucers, secret alien infiltration of human societies, and giant monsters all in a one film!

One great film!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
This Guy

Having watched Monster Zero recently on Netflix, I have to agree with blinkpen on this. The alien plot is tepid and the monsters are an afterthought. Coming just after Ghidorah, it is a big let down. Of course, I may overrate Ghidorah a bit, since it was the one Godzilla movie I had on tape as a kid, so I watched it a lot.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM

Meanwhile Monster Zero was one of the only Godzilla movies the rental place had when I was a kid, so you can never convince me it's not wonderful.

One time I invited a bunch of friends over and we watched the original Gojira and Godzilla vs Monster Zero back to back. It was great.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

It's 5:40 in the morning and I'm still pretty drunk and I've realized that two days ago I watched another Godzilla movie and didn't do my writeup for it yet!

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
aka Ebirah, Horror of the Deep; Godzilla, Ebirah, Mothra: Big Duel in the South Seas

This is one of those movies that I can acknowledge is not very good, but that I have a pretty substantial soft spot for. It's dumb as hell, but in that perfect sweet spot of dumbness where you can't help but be charmed by it. Unlike Monster Zero before it, it doesn't treat the kaiju characters like vestigial bit-part roles not worth the film wasted on them. In fact, it actually seems to care about them, which in my big dopey sentimental heart is the way to make me give a shit.

The plot starts off with a stupid guy whose stupid mom learns from a stupid oracle that his brother has survived the shipwreck that supposedly killed him at sea. Can I just say right off the bat that everyone in this movie is stupid? But that's ok because they're charmingly stupid, and I can tolerate that kind. So he tries to report it to the police and the newspapers but nobody cares so he goes to a dance marathon for a sailboat where two other stupid protagonists are trying to win. Except they fail. So they meet him and after 30 seconds of knowing him decide to drive him down to the docks to look at sailboats. And they sneak onto one. And run afoul of this guy who appears to own the boat but is actually just a criminal that recently robbed the government for millions of yen stowing away. And then Idiot Who's Missing A Brother decides to steal the boat in the middle of the night and...

You know what? I could go on all day trying to explain this shit in detail let's just say four morons steal a boat and end up on an island controlled by Cobra The Red Bamboo, an evil paramilitary organization that has its sights set on nuclear domination by developing atomic weapons at this secure site. What makes it so secure? Why the giant lobster that guards the island and viciously destroys any vessel that tries to enter or leave. But they are able to repel the monster through the use of special berry juice and W-WAIT A MINUTE! This sounds like the plot to King Kong vs. Godzilla!

Well, as it turns out this movie was originally written for the japanese treatment of King Kong. But for whatever reason they decided not to or couldn't use him so they reworked the script for Godzilla instead, and it explains a few unusual plot elements that crop up along the way.

Anyway, the evil paramilitary organization has been kidnapping natives from Mothra's island to use as slave labor to produce their Lobster Repellant Berry Juice and while the captives pray every day for their goddess to rescue them, hope is at an all time low, and our four idiot heroes hook up with an escaped slave girl and try to figure out some way to guerilla-warfare this world-dominating douchebages. They come upon a remarkably clever plan: Wake up Godzilla who is fucking sleeping underground on the island by shocking him with lightning.

So they succeed and Godzilla wakes up and has a few battles with a giant lobster and stomps on the evil paramilitary guys and the heroes trick them into getting eaten by their own guard dog with fake berry juice and it's all really goofy and corny and dumb.

But honestly? I like this movie and always have. The characters are that perfect kind of idiot that works in a hokey kaiju film. They're charmingly ridiculous and their cartoony antics make the movie entertaining to watch even when the giant monsters aren't on screen throwing boulders at each other. Also, I believe it's the first Godzilla movie to truly realize what had been going on for a while but never acknowledged by the filmmakers: That the audience actually likes and cares about Godzilla. Remember why I hated Godzilla vs. Monster Zero so much? It's because at the end the villain monster seems to kill the "hero" monsters and it's written off by both the script and the protagonists as an "oh well" moment. The majesty and wonder of the kaiju wasn't fully realized at this time, and though in not too long we'll see some movies that go entirely too far in the other direction with it, for this movie at least we've got some realization that maybe we want to see Godzilla treated as more than some cheap plot macguffin, to be embarrassed and defeated as unsympathetic bestial monstrosities deserve to be. The first Ghidorah movie touched upon this aspect but the scene that really ties the understanding in here is the heroes watching Godzilla standing upon an island that's about to be violently atomized in horrific nuclear obliteration and realize they don't want to see him die. And they shout out to him to run for his life, to save himself before it's too late. And whether he understands them or not or just realizes that Mothra getting the fuck out of dodge with her net full of refugees is a good reason to ditch the island, the movie seems to understand that we the audience also want to see Godzilla live to fight another day, even if he isn't quite a hero for the ages. We love the big lug, and this is a movie that gets that. So I can't ever hate it no matter how doofy it gets.

THE MONSTERS

Godzilla: He acts only slightly out of character in this film since he's basically standing in in a script that was originally written for King Kong. We know that the japanese Kong gains power from electricity so the fact that he's woken up with lightning is a little off but hell, who wouldn't be woken up by some massive electric blasts from god? There's also a bit where he seems slightly enamoured of the female human lead rather than stepping on her callously as would be more in character, but it's not like he grabs her and climbs a tower or anything. And it's not like Godzilla is ever portrayed as specifically going out of his way to kill people (well, other than that one movie, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

Mothra: She makes an appearance in this film, primarily I would say because the original script probably had the kidnapped natives being from Kong's island and she was the only other major kaiju with island native worshippers. But it's nice to see her as an adult again. She mostly serves as a vehicle to help the heroes escape but has a brief run-in with Godzilla that feels like a genuine establishment of character for both. Godzilla wants to fight because he's an overly aggressive jerk, and Mothra defends herself but doesn't seem to actively try to harm him, just push him away, possibly even trying to warn him of the danger he's in with the imminent destruction of the island. It's a nice scene to see.

Ebirah: The eponymous Sea Monster. He's got a charming late 60's rock soundtrack accompanying a lot of his scenes and introductions, but isn't the most interesting monster on the list, with his only real traits being Lobster and Big. That said his fight scenes with Godzilla are entertaining enough and I feel a little for the guy, who merely happens to be a giant territorial crustacean who has an angry nuclear dinosaur sicked on him for no good reason. Hell, at the end of the movie it doesn't matter whether or not Ebirah is defeated because the heroes escape by air. So he's a little incidental to the climax. They can't all be winners.

THE PEOPLE

A Likeable Bunch Of Idiots is the way I would describe the humans in this film. Their motivations are cartoonishly simple and absurd and constructed in a totally hackneyed way just to get the plot moving. But damned if they're not entertaining to follow, and their sympathy for Godzilla at the climax is endearing to me in a way that few movies from this era are. I've seen many a human protagonist ensemble in my years as a kaiju connoisuer and these guys are far from the most grating/boring to watch. They're not the most entertaining group of idiots I've seen in a monster movie but they come close!

I had a friend visiting all this week and all I could think was "man oh man do I wish I was several movies ahead so we could watch the fun 70's movies rather than this stretch of slog," but barring some hiccups things are really looking up from here on out, at least as far as my nostalgia is concerned.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Little Waves

So does the guy find his brother, or...?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
the movie seems to understand that we the audience also want to see Godzilla live to fight another day, even if he isn't quite a hero for the ages.
Godzilla is the hero we deserve not the one we want.

Quote:
Ebirah: The eponymous Sea Monster. He's got a charming late 60's rock soundtrack accompanying a lot of his scenes and introductions,
A rock lobster? That seems like a silly idea...
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
matrix tuxedo mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
So does the guy find his brother, or...?
He gets attached to a balloon that carries him to Mothra's island where he finds his brother alive and well among the natives and together they travel back to the Red Bamboo's island to inform the slaves to build a huge net that Mothra can use to carry them to safety when she wakes up.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Little Waves

Hm.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

So, this one is kind of wierd. It's another one I didn't like as a kid because of the strangely somber ending out of left field, but I guess I don't mind it quite as much these days.

Shame about that design though.

Son of Godzilla

There's this thing where the Showa Series seems to do a lot of movies that are thematically similar or use a lot of the same plot devices in a row. Stop me if you've heard this one: An idiot character comes to an island where secret experiments are going on and runs across a pretty native girl and the plucky group needs to figure out how to escape as monsters run amok across it.

Ok, it's not exactly the same by any stretch but there are enough similarities to make you wonder sometimes. In this film though the organization conducting experiments aren't villainous, though they are kind of dicks. Despite the fact that their experiment, an attempt to control the weather and freeze the island sounds like a mad scientist's plot, they hope to use it for the betterment of mankind, to create better climates for growing food and whatnot. But they picked a hell of a location for their experiments as the place is infested with giant preying mantises the size of cars. Plus there's some kind of mysterious signal coming from the center of the island that causes their instruments to go haywire and it's drawing Godzilla to the island as well. Basically this place is a ticking time bomb.

A dumbass reporter shows up out of nowhere insisting on getting a story about this place and he meets a Tarzan Girl who was left stranded on the island as a child and has grown up there. After the strange signal causes their island-freezing experiment to go awry and inflict a nuclear thunderstorm instead they find things have gotten hairy. For one the giant praying mantises are now the size of buildings and they've unearthed a huge egg that Godzilla is none too keen on them eating, and he stomps right through the scientits's base trying to get to it.

What hatches from the egg is an ugly little fat monster named Minya that somehow the humans instantly recognize as an infant Godzilla, despite the fact that it looks nothing like him. Godzilla takes in the lad, but much to his chagrin finds Minya to be a soft-hearted little putz who actually seems fond of humans, and thus begins a cruel tutelage to try and toughen the kid up. Meanwhile the humans try to complete their experiment but things like a deadly fever among their ranks and misadventures with the giant bugs eventually lead to a confrontation between Minya and one of the giant mantises that inadvertantly wakes up a giant spider that sleeps on the island as well.

At one point the reporter character mentions that with all these giant bugs and now Godzilla with a kid in tow, "This place is a real Monster Island". Take note of that students, it will come up on the test later.

So Godzilla and his brat defeat the giant spider and the humans escape to a rescue ship, but not before they act like complete dicks and set off their freezing experiment to bury Godzilla and Minya in a freezing blizzard on their way out. Seriously, they phrase it as if they have to do this to escape but they're safely off the island before the experiment even goes off completely.

What follows is a sudden twist into left-field where after their triumphant victory over the giant spider Godzilla tries to make a beeline for the ocean but Minya can't keep up, the tyke succumbing to the cold weather and stumbling to a halt. Godzilla almost leaves him behind but then turns back and comforts the boy as the driving snow forces them into hibernation. I guess it's a scene showing how his heart has grown three sizes and he's now showing genuine affection and love for the child after being something of a harsh taciturn dad the entire film, but even now I have a hard time forgiving this film for how it ruined me emotionally as a child, even with the human characters assuring us that the two monsters would be just fine when the weather warms up again. Maybe I'm too hard on it.

The movie has some fascinating tonal dissonance, with perky cheerful music at times, and lots of precocious scenes between father and son indestructable nuclear dinosaurs but then there's the scenes with the giant bugs, particularly Kumonga the spider that are down right horrific, and this movie has a high kaiju body count, being the first film since Raids Again where Godzilla is explicitly shown to kill his foes rather than drive them off or cause them to ambiguously vanish.

THE MONSTERS

Godzilla: The suit design for him in this movie is unusually bug-eyed. I think it was so they could have him blink more noticeably but it's off-putting to me. His face is kind of squat in this film and gives him damn near a simian look. Though I'm not a big fan of the movies that soften him too much and give him scenes of "cuteness," some of the bits where he's harshly coaching young Minya in how to be a proper asskicker are enjoyable, particularly his shortcut of stomping on the kid's tail to teach him to breath fire. Abusive parents are funny!

Minya
aka: Minilla, Baby Godzilla, Wierd Little Fat Thing

I don't really know what they were smoking when they designed this thing but it's basically not at all what anyone would picture when you ask them to imagine "the son of Godzilla". He's a pudgy little mongoloid with a stubby tail and big bug-eyes. A lot of the movie is spent just watching him get abused, either by giant bugs or his own clumsiness or his loving Pa threatening to give him the back of his hand if he doesn't stop being such a pansy. All that said there are some scenes that work ok with his precocious childishness, like throwing a tantrum when Godzilla forbids him to hang around humans and near the end where he manages to step up to the plate and rescue his dad from Kumonga is pretty nice. I would be lying if even now I don't get a little choked up by that ending.

Kamacura(s)
aka: Gimantis

These huge preying mantises are pretty creepy, announcing their presence with an eerie hissing sound. I love that name too, but they don't actually say it in this movie's dub. There are an undetermined number of them early in the film, then three after the nuclear storm mutates them to giant(er) size, two of which Godzilla kills. The third one is bitten by Kumonga but not necessarily killed, and lives again to make cameos in Loose Showa Continuity.

Kumonga
aka: The Spiga, Shelob

One of the monsters that like King Ghidorah seems genuinely evil, this is one hella creepy spider that I imagine gave a few kids nightmares back in the day. This sleeping monstrosity makes up the primary villain role in the movie, sadistically pursuing and tormenting both human and kaiju heroes alike and coming very close to defeating Godzilla before Minya finally steps up to fight back. One of the rare Godzilla foes in this era to be killed onscreen by the King of the Monsters, he somehow will come back to play a role in the next movie's cavalcade of kaiju fanservice and even play a minor heroic part. If you can call a 10-against-1 brutal curbstomp battle heroic by any stretch of the imagination.

THE PEOPLE

The people in this movie are all kind of dicks, did I mention that? You've got the two lead scientist guys who put their crew through three months of hellish isolation in a giant-bug-infested hellhole of an island and when the experiment goes awry they manipulate the near insanely desperate co-workers into remaining to try again, putting all their lives in insane danger. And on top of that they freeze the island not so much because they have to so much as they can on the way out as an indirect "fuck you" to the two monsters that manages to kill the giant spider that had them entrapped. Plucky Reporter Guy is more in the Likeable Idiot category of kaiju protagonist but he's still kind of a dick as well. Tarzan Girl is the kindest and most sympathetic character but even she kinds of sells out Minya by calling to him and getting him into a fight he can't win against Kamacura, which leads to the chain of events that wakes up Kumonga. Basically if the humans had just stayed off this god forsaken island none of this unpleasantness would have happened.

I like this movie alright now, but I don't suppose it's one that I'll go out of my way to watch very often. A little too cutesy and heartstring-tuggy for my tastes.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

Hmm, I just now read on a wiki that Minilla is a portmanteau of Mini Godzilla. That actually makes a lot more sense than Minya. Too lazy to go back and change the usage in my post now though. It's the Blinkpen Seal Of Half-Assedness that you've all come to love in these threads, no doubt.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
matrix tuxedo mask

Oh, I'm sorry everyone, is a movie about giant bugs and fatherhood not interesting enough for you? How about ALL THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD FUCKING SHIT UP?

Destroy All Monsters

What we have here is a case of Kaiju junk food. A big fat fanservice-laden movie with a cheap, unchallenging excuse plot that's just there to bust out all the rubber suits in Toho's closet and go to town on some famous landmarks.

Prepare to take a journey with me.

A journey into a shining distant future.

It is the year... 1999.

Humanity has reached an advanced stage of civilization. We have a badass spaceship that we fly to-and-from our Moon base on a regular basis. And that whole Monster Problem that's been going on since the 1950's is now totally under control. See, they've all been confined to Monster Island, something of a luxury prison where food is plentiful but they are kept from leaving with a series of automated defense systems that somehow repel the creatures when they attempt to escape.

The movie wastes little time in crumbling this little house of cards and a sudden mysterious power outage knocks out communications with the science team at Monster Island and before you know it, Godzilla and his chums are off stomping all the world's most famous cities. Rodan's fucking up Moscow, some... dinosaur called Gorosaurus destroys landmarks in Paris, and even Mothra seems to have gone berserk. Maybe she's gone all Magneto because she's never intended humanity any harm and they locked her up on the island just the same. There's no sign of the Mothra Twins to be seen so...

But actually it is soon revealed that we're actually under invasion by a race of lady aliens called the Kiraku, or Kilaaks. Romanize it however you like. Using a network of mind-control probes scattered across the globe they have turned Earth's monsters against it in a bid for conquest. The military seems helpless to stop them and... hey, how exactly did they get all the monsters rounded up on the island in the first place if they're this incompetent at defending against their attacks even in the glorious future that is 1999? I like to imagine the monsters were actually living on the island by choice and just humoring the humans.

Anyway things look rough until... the humans reverse engineer the monster controlling technology offscreen. Seriously, that's how they stop Godzilla And Friends from attacking, and they instead turn the monsters against the aliens. But on the eve of humanity's assault on the Kilaak base they call upon King Ghidorah one lone last bid for victory. Oh man this will be good! King Ghidorah vs... actually, that's a whole lot of Earth monsters and.

Oh. Oh god! I think I'm going to be sick.

Stop! Stooop h-he's already deaaaaad!

Seriously, this fight kind of sucks because Ghidorah just gets his shit wrecked. Hell about half the monsters on call just stand around offscreen while Godzilla, Angilas, Rodan, and Gorosaurus do most of the work, with Mothra and Kumonga intermittently stepping in. It just takes all the fun out of it to see the greatest kaiju villain ever get completely outnumbered and ruthlessly beaten to death in a vicious curbstomp battle. But the aliens destroy the humans' control center for the monsters with something called the fire dragon! Oh no!

But Godzilla surprises humanity and still finishes off the alien base even though he's no longer being controlled. The cool spaceship shoots down the Fire Dragon (which turns out to just be an alien saucer with its screw attack ability turned on) and the monsters return peacefully to Monster Island as Earth's heroes.

This is an ok movie, it's great if you want to see lots of monsters all in one film but the one-sidedness of the Ghidorah fight is a disappointment and though the pace is generally pretty good there are a couple of scenes that are padded out really badly, one scene where the human astronauts take on an alien moonbase in particular.

THE MONSTERS

(deep breath)

Godzilla: One great thing about this film is it debuts one of my favorite suit designs. This movie gives Godzilla an almost-muppetlike design, with very expressionate eyebrows and a mean-looking grimace that strikes just the right balance between ferocious and heroic.

Angilas: Resurrected from the dead with no explanation(as is the way with kaiju), this is the first time our spikey friend fights alongside Godzilla but it won't be the last.

Rodan: He gets a pretty decent amount of screentime menacing the heroes and attacking Moscow. He's still kind of boring though, especially with a bunch of other ground-based monsters stealing his thunder by participating much more actively in the fight.

Mothra: Man, she gets kind of screwed over here. I don't like how they put her back in larva form for this movie and she barely gets to do anything. She just blasts some webbing over Ghidorah's dead body after he's already been finished off. "I'm helping!"

Kumonga: His contribution to the big fight is the same as Mothra's and rather pointless. I think it would have been much better if he and Ghidorah had teamed up along with a few other more evil monsters and we had a bigger throwdown. Wasted potential.

Gorosaurus: Wait a minute, who the hell is this guy? Oh, he's some dinosaur that the japanese Kong fought in the Toho-made King Kong Escapes. Why didn't they just put King Kong in this one? Probably a rights issue. Ok then, Gorosaurus gets an unusual amount of screentime and fight contribution for such a minor kaiju.

Minilla: He... apparently hasn't aged a day in over 30 years... Yeah, this whole 1999 thing kind of has some plot holes. Minilla is there to pretty much be precocious moral support throughout the film but he does get to deliver the killing blow to King Ghidorah with one of his smoke rings. I don't know how that works either.

Manda: This serpentine dragon appeared in some movie called Atragon. He destroys a few landmarks and such but doesn't contribute at all to the fight against Ghidorah. Not that the fight needed to be anymore lopsided.

Varan: Now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. This fellow who starred in his own movie called Varan the Unbelievable seems to only appear in the montage back on Monster Island at the very end. I don't even remember any of the characters mentioning his name.

Baragon: This funky-looking dinosaur originated fighting... Frankenstein's monster... in... Frankenstein Conquers The World. As for his contribution to the movie, refer to Varan.

King Ghidorah: Depending on how you view the Showa Series, this is canonically where the mighty space demon meets his end. I wish they had handled it with a little more dignity and fairness. The King deserved better than this.

THE PEOPLE

These may be the most interchangeably forgettable and utilitarian human characters yet. No time at all is wasted on developing any personality or interesting character arcs for these bozos, and that's just fine. We're here to see a bunch of monsters smash buildings and kick eachother in the teeth dammit! Final Wars could learn a few things from this film.

I guess this movie was intended to be a big showy send-off to the Godzilla series (not the last time this will happen) but it was so successful they went "fuck it, let's just make more". Which is cool because we've got some great movies coming up soon!

Unforunately, we're going to have to pass through the absolute nadir of this or any other Godzilla series first. I'm going to have to get drunk for this one.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Conquers the World

Baragon's role in this movie bugs me. He's one of my favorite kaiju (see: my avatar) and he was supposed to have a bigger role, but when it came time to film a lot of his scenes they couldn't use his suit because Tsuburaya was busy recycling it to make like fifty fucking Ultraman villains. So they just kind of replaced him with the more boring Gorosaurus, which resulted in one scene where Gorosaurus tunnels through the ground (which is Baragon's trick) and someone actually says "look, it's Baragon" (they had already filmed the human scenes)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
matrix tuxedo mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Baragon's role in this movie bugs me. He's one of my favorite kaiju (see: my avatar) and he was supposed to have a bigger role, but when it came time to film a lot of his scenes they couldn't use his suit because Tsuburaya was busy recycling it to make like fifty fucking Ultraman villains. So they just kind of replaced him with the more boring Gorosaurus, which resulted in one scene where Gorosaurus tunnels through the ground (which is Baragon's trick) and someone actually says "look, it's Baragon" (they had already filmed the human scenes)
He is a far more interestingly designed monster than Gorosaurus, that's for sure. This reminds me of my similar disgruntlement at GMK kicking out Anguilas and Varan as Baragon's cohorts in the film to shoehorn in Mothra and Ghidorah, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 AM

I actually really love watching that curb stomping. It's so unexpectedly violent, even though he kinda deserves the treatment, and I don't think I'll ever be convinced it wasn't the direct inspiration for that printer scene in Office Space.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

I don't mind the fact that Ghidorah is brutally killed, it's just how they went about it that bothers me. He could have at least put up a better fight before going down or been given the dignity of some allies to make it a more even match.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Here Comes the Sun

Whoa, this thread went places since last I checked!

Sea Monster: What, no mention of the completely out-of-nowhere and crappy-looking bird that ambushes Godzilla while he's (apparently) on the can? One of the most bizarre moments in an extremely bizarre franchise. Also, I was always amused by the fact that Godzilla is more of a sea monster than "the Sea Monster."

Son: Kumonga is extremely underrated as an antagonist. There's buildup, suspense as they travel past his lair to get water, he gets a dramatic entrance, he actively pursues and interacts with humans (extremely rare for kaiju), he ambushes Minya, makes short work of a Kamacuras (so does Godzilla, but this just establishes that he's not messing around), and gives Godzilla an extremely hard time. If not for Minya learning to shoot a beam consistently at that point, things were looking bad. Plus he makes a weird sound, has a theme that makes your hair stand up and contrasts with the rest of the soundtrack (and his "web spray" sound fits right into it!), he can block beams with his web, and the prop work is just great.

DAM: I guess I got a different impression from the final battle. Ghidorah has a clear upper hand until he comes back down after dropping Anguirus (thanks for the help, Rodan and Varan! Oh that's right, Rodan ran out on the fight about one minute in). He still manages to fight on even ground until they knock him down. And then...yeah, it's an almost literal curbstomp.

Gorosaurus is like the sleeper contender of this era. He was pretty much made to send up the Kong vs. Tyrannosaur scene from the original King Kong (he even has the three-claw hands). I think he left a strong impression due to having a really well-made suit and putting up a surprisingly good fight for having such an incidental role in the film. Seeing him open the fight with consecutive kangaroo kicks, knocking Kong down like an idiot twice in a row, is amazing and hilarious. And then you think he's dead and the film moves on to the big "Kong meets the female lead" moment, and then Goro interrupts the plot by gnawing on Kong's ankle while still lying on the ground! That's when they send up the "Kong breaks the rex's jaw" moment, but that immediately made a fan out of me.

Then in DAM, the suit still looks really good, and he still takes a surprisingly active role, being the only one besides Godzilla and Anguirus to do anything worthwhile in that final bout. The kangaroo kick returns, as the pivotal point of the fight, and he actually very briefly takes Ghidorah down before that.

I mean, Baragon's definitely a more unique design, I like him, and I'm sorry his role got trimmed down, but I appreciate a completely incidental creature making such an impression through sheer quality design and actions.

Plus, with the benefit of hindsight, Baragon eventually gets his day.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

The next one is one of the few Godzilla movies I watched as a wee-lad. This may have had some impact on my view that the movies are not worth watching despite the presence of Godzilla.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Is the next one about growing up and taking on our fears? Starring clips of kaiju from other films?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Also, does someone want to talk about where the find all these Godzilla movies? On DVD? On-line?

Where can I get some good copies.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Space Prez

Manilla totally looks like a baby Godzilla! The question remains, where did the egg come from? And don't say "asexual reproduction" because that is boring as hell.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Little Waves

Gorosaurus.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Also, does someone want to talk about where the find all these Godzilla movies? On DVD? On-line?

Godzilla 2000 is on Canadian Netflix. Based on what I know of American vs Canadian Netflix, this probably means that te rest of them are available for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Manilla totally looks like a baby Godzilla! The question remains, where did the egg come from? And don't say "asexual reproduction" because that is boring as hell.
Love always finds a way, Mike. And Godzilla loves smashing monsters.

Minya was born of SMASHING
Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post

I got most of my DVD's from FYE when they would go sale a few times each year. But my store closed down many moons ago...

In general, anything I have that was released by Sony has excellent visual quality. Godzilla vs. Gigan in particular looks stunning.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

Sniiiiff...
Wow, your hair smells amazing.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
matrix tuxedo mask

Pretty much every Godzilla DVD I've ever obtained ever has come from Amazon.com. Just recently they finally put out my very favorite, Godzilla vs. Biollante. I was concerned at first when the movie seemed to be squashed into a 4:3 format but switching my Xbox over to an HDMI cable again fixed that little problem right up. I also have almost the entire pre-Millenium series on VHS, but that's more of a sentimental collection considering I have no way to play tapes anymore.

RE: Where the hell did Minya/Minilla/Baby Godzilla come from anyway?

My conclusion is always one of two things. Godzilla either had a mate eons ago before whatever cataclysm occured and their egg, like him ended up in suspended animation some how to be later woken up by nuclear testing. Or it just happens to be an egg from another member of his species and he adopts it. I tend to lean towards the adoption angle personally, Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II down the road seems to particularly imply this option.

Tags
anno is displeased , dizzaster film , godzilla , gojira , hilarious android , kaiju , spoiler: godzilla wins , writers a and b