The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

View Poll Results: How would you like to bend it?
Like Beckham! 16 15.38%
Fire is so fiery! 6 5.77%
H2O fo sho! 22 21.15%
Earth, baby. I can make yo bed rock. 34 32.69%
Air bending is obviously the best! 26 25.00%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
this is covfefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I am legitimately surprised there are this many people who like this show.

Then again, this is TT, so I am not sure why I am legitimately surprised by this.
Heck yeah. Had this show existed when I was the age of the show's target audience you would not have been able to get me to shut up about how awesome it was and my room would've been filled with Avatar branded merchandise and I'd have Avatar-themed paper plates at my birthday parties, etc. I still like like the show a lot but there's the being jaded about the anime influences and cringing at the playground-level romances that pop up like rude reminders that I'm too old to appreciate all of it. But damn I would've killed to have had this show around growing up.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Heck yeah. Had this show existed when I was the age of the show's target audience you would not have been able to get me to shut up about how awesome it was and my room would've been filled with Avatar branded merchandise and I'd have Avatar-themed paper plates at my birthday parties, etc. I still like like the show a lot but there's the being jaded about the anime influences and cringing at the playground-level romances that pop up like rude reminders that I'm too old to appreciate all of it. But damn I would've killed to have had this show around growing up.
I was like this for quite a while, even after watching a bunch of episodes. I cannot stand non Japanese cartoons that try to use the anime style, but Avatar really surprised me in so many ways.

The show is much better because it is an American cartoon and brings American sensibilities to the anime genre. If this were an actual made in Japan show fights would last multiple episodes, the young cast would be disturbingly sexualized, and all the painstaking research and attention to detail would have been replaced with the director googling ancient China and misusing random words and imagery.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:40 PM
It's all good, man

You just wrote a very silly thing.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
The show is much better because it is an American cartoon and brings American sensibilities to the anime genre. If this were an actual made in Japan show fights would last multiple episodes, the young cast would be disturbingly sexualized, and all the painstaking research and attention to detail would have been replaced with the director googling ancient China and misusing random words and imagery.
Nahh

Well maybe the creepy pedo thing, but the rest is dubious. I don't honestly think a show like Avatar would've been created in Japan--it's simply not transparently commercial enough for a kids show over there.

Maybe the videogames would be better that way, though
Old 07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Family Man

I probably went a little overboard there, but do you really think an anime series for kids would have the kind of cultural depth that Avatar does? Now that I think about it would any American kid's cartoon have as much.

How the hell did this show get made!?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Curious Young Gent

Also, were it an anime, Aang and Kitara's relationship would've been even more un-progressing. At least they had that moment before the Eclipse siege.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Nahh

Well maybe the creepy pedo thing, but the rest is dubious. I don't honestly think a show like Avatar would've been created in Japan--it's simply not transparently commercial enough for a kids show over there.

Maybe the videogames would be better that way, though
Considering the fact that those 80s cartoons that so much of TT loves were basically half(ish)-hour toy commercials, it's not as if American cartoons have some secret pedigree.

The fact that Avatar got made at all, and is as good as it is, is an aberration in any modern society.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Just bear with me

The only aberration is that Avatar was made in the hyper spastastic 2000s, rather than the 1990s when all the good cartoons were created.

Anyway, remember the episode where the girl was taught bloodbending against her will? She was utterly horrified by the art, acting like Lady MacBeth after she performed it, but it didn't seem like it was that unethical. I mean, it wasn't like she killed anybody with it or anything.

Also, it goes without saying that bears + any stout animal is a logical combination. Owls, tarantulas, you name it and they're going to look pretty good as a hybrid.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
It also is worth noting that a lot of what we see on the show is really really high level stuff.
Well, of course, that's kind of how a small band of teenagers are able to do as well as they are, and in that regard it isn't nearly as ridiculous as your typical RPG stuff. :P

Although naturally we're assuming skills somewhat on par with the main characters, barring the super S-rank skills like bloodbending, metal-bending, lightning throwing/redirecting, etc.

Like,if my preferred element was Earth, I'd be happy to be even be The Boulder-level. :P

Quote:
Plus, unless you're an airbender, you have to be pretty sharp to avoid a giant sudden stalagmite shooting out of the ground into your face. And there's only one of those left! Let's see you redirect the force of a bunch of bedrock careening at your face from an unseen angle at 130 miles an hour, water jerks!
*traps oni in an icicle cage and drops an ice anvil on him*
Old 07-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Like,if my preferred element was Earth, I'd be happy to be even be The Boulder-level. :P
The Boulder is my favorite minor character in the show.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Preemptive "no, Alixsar, you're wrong for hating this show".
Haha! Joke's on you! I am completely indifferent to it. I have no opinion at all. I have never seen an episode, and despite hearing good things about it, I have no real desire to. I already have a backlog of TV shows I want to watch and there just isn't room for this one.

I'm just surprised how many people like it, is all. I think it's more of a "No way Nickelodeon made a GOOD show?! They haven't done that in years!"-kind of a thing. Even a decent one would be a surprise, but evidently this one is well above par? Apparently? I don't know and don't really care to find out, but it is surprising all the same.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Rawrther.

I keep forgetting it IS a Nickelodeon show; considering how much of Nick now are shows about teenage pop rock stars, its easy to forget they even have cartoons.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mablem8 View Post
Waterbending. Air might always be around, but it seems a little too intangible. The best part would be flying, because blowing wind around to fight seems a bit... empty.
I thought the show proved how well elements could counteract/complement each other, if the practitioners are high-level enough. Fire scorches holes through rock/melts metal, evaporates water, alters the temperature of the air and disrupts wind currents. Water douses fire, slices through rock, can be split into missiles that fly right through blasts of air. Earth (and metal) shields from the others and rams the opponent right back. Air punches through rock barriers, snuffs out flames, and disperses water into droplets.

And that's without getting into environmental effects, like creating fissures under the opponent's feet or setting the whole place ablaze.

Also, in air's favor: tornadoes. Shame Aang never actually went as all-out with Air as Ozai did with Fire or Toph did with Earth, else we would've seen a flying cow or two.

Quote:
It also is worth noting that a lot of what we see on the show is really really high level stuff.
My favorite application of the concept comes from the swampbenders, who could manipulate the flexible, water-filled plants of their surroundings to create enormous, self-regenerating Swamp Things around themselves. On the one hand, it provided subtle, but excellent foreshadowing for bloodbending, and hinted that these horrific applications did exist; on the other, can you imagine the skill and focus these people had? (Though I wish that, at some point, Toph had learned/shown us how she had learned sandbending too, to complement her skills.)
Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I vote Air, because tossing people around and flying and stuff.

I haven't seen all of the show, but what I have seen is really good. So I guess I'll just echo the general sentiment that it's really shocking this thing exists at all.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:31 PM
This is what happens!

I went with earth. Mostly because of the bit in Sozin's Comet when Toph knocks down the door to the airship's bridge then metal bends said door into a suit of armor before completely wreaking the entire bridge crew.

I just finished rewatching the series with some friends last night and we were all consistently amazing at the attention to detail in the animation. Like the fact that Toph never makes eye contact with anyone while she's speaking. Or that in addition to the big scar on Aang's back from the lightning attack at the end of the second season he also has a smaller scar on the bottom of one of his feet. I can go on and on...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure Four View Post
Or that in addition to the big scar on Aang's back from the lightning attack at the end of the second season he also has a smaller scar on the bottom of one of his feet.
=O
Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
My favorite application of the concept comes from the swampbenders, who could manipulate the flexible, water-filled plants of their surroundings to create enormous, self-regenerating Swamp Things around themselves. On the one hand, it provided subtle, but excellent foreshadowing for bloodbending, and hinted that these horrific applications did exist; on the other, can you imagine the skill and focus these people had? (Though I wish that, at some point, Toph had learned/shown us how she had learned sandbending too, to complement her skills.)
I don't know if anyone is able to decipher the sandbenders' discipline based on just the brief appearances they made, but I assume they are using a form of earthbendering that is in practice much more like airbending, which is probably another reason why Toph had so much trouble with it.

I often think of when Iroh said the division between the elements are an illusion, and the lightning redirection is supposed to be based on waterbending techniques, too. So yeah, there's a lot of potential based on skill and discipline.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know if anyone is able to decipher the sandbenders' discipline based on just the brief appearances they made, but I assume they are using a form of earthbendering that is in practice much more like airbending, which is probably another reason why Toph had so much trouble with it.
I figured more like waterbending? Since, you know, sand is water.

And oh god I haven't been this nerdy about made-up world building nonsense in forever. It boggles my mind that there hasn't been a tabletop RPG - or board game! - put out yet in the Avatar world. It seems custom tailored for one. (the video games have been pretty mediocre, and basically revolve around finding an element hotspot, and dragging it around til you find a place to use it to solve a puzzle or beat up an enemy with it)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
I keep forgetting it IS a Nickelodeon show; considering how much of Nick now are shows about teenage pop rock stars, its easy to forget they even have cartoons.
Precisely. Let alone an (apparently) good cartoon.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
the video games have been pretty mediocre, and basically revolve around finding an element hotspot, and dragging it around til you find a place to use it to solve a puzzle or beat up an enemy with it
Element... hotspot? I guess you can't find a puddle everywhere you went, or even a torch (despite Firebenders producing fire themselves.) But everywhere around you is an earth or air "hotspot"!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Element... hotspot? I guess you can't find a puddle everywhere you went, or even a torch (despite Firebenders producing fire themselves.) But everywhere around you is an earth or air "hotspot"!
Well, of course you can use your combat powers anywhere, but in those spots it amounts to doing a QTE.

Plus, by the second game, Aang should have mastered Earth and Water, but he only ever uses them in those context-sensitive areas, while all his combat moves are staff moves and air powers.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I never played them far enough to get to the earth spots. Aang had an air ball he could throw at people, and in some of the games one that he could ride, and then for water stuff there were specific barrels or puddles to pull water from. So I'm extrapolating, but I image that's how they handle it because it's just easier to do puzzles that way. Or they don't bother, and just have a couple of basic earth moves (maybe a wall-shield or something) and then sometimes they let you move a rock onto a switch. =/

Now my brain's going! Trying to come up with different ways to model an element-bending video game.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Fracture was based heavily on changing earth terrain, sometimes in some pretty spectacular ways, but it was largely reviewed as a below-average shooter with a gimmick attached to it that didn't overcome the other flaws.

There was no earth-bending for Aang in the original Avatar: TLA game, BTW. It was kind of strange how Haru got an upgrade to a main character in that game, but of course that was because Season 1 was pre-Toph and he was just about the only prominent young earthbender.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I probably went a little overboard there, but do you really think an anime series for kids would have the kind of cultural depth that Avatar does? Now that I think about it would any American kid's cartoon have as much.

How the hell did this show get made!?
I think Nickelodeon has a tendency to hand out blank checks regarding cartoons, and then only after seeing the aftermath do they go "WAIT, WE PAID FOR WHAT?" (see also: Invader Zim)

It seems to have worked out okay for them. But it also only happens once in a blue moon.

Quote:
*traps oni in an icicle cage and drops an ice anvil on him*
Any earthbender worth their salt would Bugs Bunny outta that mess before you had enough moisture to make a bowling ball, much less an anvil
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 PM
out of how many points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
The "MY CABBAGES" guy is clearly the best minor character.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinoff View Post
In twenty or thirty years, when the dust has settled and a good live-action Last Airbender movie is made, they absolutely must drag Shaymalan out of whatever rest home or gutter he ends up in and have him play the cabbage seller, a man who continuously has awful things happening to him.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Rawrther.

Quote:
In twenty or thirty years, when the dust has settled and a good live-action Last Airbender movie is made, they absolutely must drag Shaymalan out of whatever rest home or gutter he ends up in and have him play the cabbage seller, a man who continuously has awful things happening to him.
I'm not sure he'd accept; it's not nearly as prestigious as his role in Lady in the Water as a writer destined to change the world!

Ugh. I hate him.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokka
BOOMERANG!! You DO always come back!
God I love this show.

edit:

I think I'm like halfway through season two now, and I think I'm beginning to notice what may be my favorite thing about this show--sure, there's an evil empire trying to take over the world, but none of the other civilizations are that great either, albeit, perhaps less murderous. The Northern Water Tribe were a bunch of sexists, Ba Sing Se forces its poor into ghettos, etc.

Last edited by cortbassist89; 07-04-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Stop this. There is no Avatar live action movie.

Humm, humm, humm, humm, boy Avatar: TLA is a great show, huh, guys? It's kind of awesome to live in a world where there isn't a horrible live action adaption that could only tarnish people's opinion of the animated series, right?

Quote:
Of course. You are but one of the millions...

*holds up mic*

crowd: AND MILLIONS

...of the Boulder's fans!

BTW, until I read the wiki, I didn't know the Boulder had a badgermole tattoo on his back. That makes the joke even funnier.

Quote:
Any earthbender worth their salt would Bugs Bunny outta that mess before you had enough moisture to make a bowling ball, much less an anvil
The cage has a bottom. :P

Your first post was based pretty much entirely on sneak-attacking. Which is like, no duh, you cowardly coward. :P

Last edited by Andrew; 07-04-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I'm just surprised how many people like it, is all. I think it's more of a "No way Nickelodeon made a GOOD show?! They haven't done that in years!"-kind of a thing. Even a decent one would be a surprise, but evidently this one is well above par? Apparently? I don't know and don't really care to find out, but it is surprising all the same.
Yeah, I passed on Avatar for years because heck, it's a Nick show trying to be anime, how good could it possibly be? Then someone finally forced me to watch a few episodes, and my wife and I main-lined the first two season box sets, and waited desperately for the third. Because yeah, it really is that good.

Quote:
Not only did it earn my fandom right then and there, but also my respect. Ever since, I've seen Clouds, Pushing Hands, Peacock's Tail, and a host others --heck, by the end, Sokka's sword forms are ALSO Taijiquan, sword form 32, and his master wields the sword correctly!
And all that stuff is really the icing on the cake. The plot and characters and everything are great, but the fight choreography is amazingly well thought out for a kids' cartoon show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinoff View Post
Also this.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah, I passed on Avatar for years because heck, it's a Nick show trying to be anime, how good could it possibly be? Then someone finally forced me to watch a few episodes, and my wife and I main-lined the first two season box sets, and waited desperately for the third. Because yeah, it really is that good.
What's even better is when someone watches a hefty chunk of the first season, then you tell them "Oh yeah, that's the worst season by far. Please look forward to the rest."

Big props towards the quality as well towards the voice acting and directing, although it being Andrea Romano, it's not a huge shock. Unless the writing is terrible, just about anything she's involved in is on my radar.

Tags
animation , avatar , cabbages , cartoons , deal with it , drunk on noodles , i'm the avatar , icons next to posts , intended for children , jerkbenders , korraxasami yes , m night shyamalan , nickelodeon , not enough boomerangs , not the blue one , some girl zhu li'd him , spider-lin , television , too many varricks , wang fire , xbox answer to miis , zhu li do the thing