The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

View Poll Results: How would you like to bend it?
Like Beckham! 16 15.24%
Fire is so fiery! 6 5.71%
H2O fo sho! 22 20.95%
Earth, baby. I can make yo bed rock. 35 33.33%
Air bending is obviously the best! 26 24.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Rawrther.

Default The Avatar: Last Airbender (CARTOON) Superfan Thread

This thread exists for two reasons.

One: the other thread is mostly about the movie (at least, now, anyway).

Two: I wanted to make a poll.

Discuss!

edit:

I picked air bending in the poll, because I think it's probably the most useful, in most situations. I mean, you almost ALWAYS are surrounded by air, for one.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Family Man

It was a toss up between fire and air for me. Fire nearly won because it's obviously the most useful for combat, but air benders can essentially fly and you can't beat that.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Better be the real thing.

With waterbending, I can wash my dishes hands-free.

Also: holy crap this episode I'm watching has a freaking Evangelion angel this is totally awesome.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Rawrther.

After seeing owlbears in various RPGs, that spiderbear someone posted in the random image thread, and now Platypus bears in this, is there ANY animal you can combine with a bear without the result being terrifying/awesome?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Waterbending, here:

1. Nearly as omnipresent as air, plus it can be drawn from air, plants, other beings, etc.
2. Can be used as a cutting blade, even with just a small amount. See also: ice spikes!
3. Bloodbending
4. Healing abilities
5. Full moon = god mode. Plus, see also 3.

On a related note, the water golem was so awesome that Greg Weisman ripped it off.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM

There are also water bears, microscopic organisms able to survive in the vacuum of space:

But I'm not sure whether that proves or disproves your theory, cort. : )

As for preferred bending - well, it's not like a guy with "Aqua" in his name is allowed to vote for anything else. It's not a bad choice, either - being able to dig your own well in arid wasteland is just as important as commanding the ocean waves.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Chief

Waterbending just because I like the underlying martial art: tai chi. It's all about redirection of force to your advantage. It's the thinking man's fictional mystical cartoon martial art.

Re: bears
The most terrifying combination I've ever seen is when you cross bears with Russians.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Water since it has the most versatility. Plus I would totally get around like ice-man with creating a ice trail in front of me everywhere which would be the most dangerous and fun thing ever.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM
noble beast

Fire because I felt sorry that it had no votes.

Also, it is the flashiest, I'm guessing, which is important when it comes to super-powers, probs.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 AM
I say thee neigh

I actually learned a bit of Hung Gar, and have a firm belief in stability and power, so Earthbending

Plus, unless you're an airbender, you have to be pretty sharp to avoid a giant sudden stalagmite shooting out of the ground into your face. And there's only one of those left! Let's see you redirect the force of a bunch of bedrock careening at your face from an unseen angle at 130 miles an hour, water jerks!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 AM
oh my car

They based firebending on shaolin kung fu, and if I remember Shaolin Soccer correctly, that basically amounts to superpowers even before you add in the ability to set things on fire with your muscles.

That doesn't explain why I didn't vote for it, though.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Follow the fuck-man

I really wish I could of thought a good LOL TOPICAL HUMOR about the oil spill as to why I chose it but I'm shot, anyone else got one?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
Waterbending just because I like the underlying martial art: tai chi.
I didn't pay much attention to this Nicktoon at first, until I watched "The Scroll." The technique Katara learns from the titular item is Yang-style Whipping Hands (English name may vary.) Which is a very basic technique in all three unarmed competition forms (24, 48, and 42) of Taijiquan. Which I practiced diligently in high school and college.

Not only did it earn my fandom right then and there, but also my respect. Ever since, I've seen Clouds, Pushing Hands, Peacock's Tail, and a host others --heck, by the end, Sokka's sword forms are ALSO Taijiquan, sword form 32, and his master wields the sword correctly!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Curious Young Gent

Earthbending is pretty awesome for several reasons, some of which I guess are spoilery and whatnot. But yeah, I'm a real fan of how the Earthbenders move in the series. Hadn't really heard of or seen anything about Hung Gar before.
And if I recall, Firebending is Northern Shaolin, whereas Shaolin Soccer includes just Southern Shaolin? I'm not an expert or anything, though.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
It was a toss up between fire and air for me. Fire nearly won because it's obviously the most useful for combat, but air benders can essentially fly and you can't beat that.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 AM

re: tai chi: also, the waterbending dance! Which actually looked like pretty interestin' dancin'.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:00 AM
It's all good, man

I would be the Avatar.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

I just started watching this show today.

I hear it's pretty good.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

I voted for earth, because the Earthbenders in the show were able to do incredible things. Frankly, I felt like the show sometimes had to nerf them a bit, because otherwise they might be too powerful.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I would be the Avatar.
Would you be the unhelpful Past Life who gives cryptic and misleading advice and makes lots of powerful enemies for your next incarnation to have to mollify?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
this is fake news

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
I just started watching this show today.

I hear it's pretty good.
One of us! One of us!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi

Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by _L_ View Post
Would you be the unhelpful Past Life who gives cryptic and misleading advice and makes lots of powerful enemies for your next incarnation to have to mollify?
They're all the same dude/lady.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
I voted for earth, because the Earthbenders in the show were able to do incredible things. Frankly, I felt like the show sometimes had to nerf them a bit, because otherwise they might be too powerful.
Something I've heard about that. You know Lu Ten, Iroh's son? I can't remember if it was just an idea some fan had or actually was planned and taken out, but supposedly he died in an earthquake or land vortex or some sort of cataclysm caused by the earthbenders while he was besieging Ba Sing Se. This was a war crime, and combined with the grief over the loss of his son, caused Iroh to give up his career as a general altogether.

Again, not sure if it was an idea that was planned but dropped or just some fan theory, but there you go.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I am legitimately surprised there are this many people who like this show.

Then again, this is TT, so I am not sure why I am legitimately surprised by this.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminallyinane View Post
Something I've heard about that. You know Lu Ten, Iroh's son? I can't remember if it was just an idea some fan had or actually was planned and taken out, but supposedly he died in an earthquake or land vortex or some sort of cataclysm caused by the earthbenders while he was besieging Ba Sing Se. This was a war crime, and combined with the grief over the loss of his son, caused Iroh to give up his career as a general altogether.

Again, not sure if it was an idea that was planned but dropped or just some fan theory, but there you go.
Yeah, it was shown that Earthbenders could sink people up to their necks in solid rock, so why couldn't they just *BLOOP* bury people alive in two seconds? But then, why couldn't Airbenders just suck the air out of someone's lungs or something?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I am legitimately surprised there are this many people who like this show.

Then again, this is TT, so I am not sure why I am legitimately surprised by this.
Preemptive "no, Alixsar, you're wrong for hating this show".
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was shown that Earthbenders could sink people up to their necks in solid rock, so why couldn't they just *BLOOP* bury people alive in two seconds? But then, why couldn't Airbenders just suck the air out of someone's lungs or something?
See: bloodbending. This stuff is possible, but is
  • difficult
  • rare knowledge
  • nets you a lot of Dark Side points

Now whether it's rare knowledge because it's just difficult, or because the humans in this world are somehow better people than we are and thus it's "unthinkable" is never extrapolated upon.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Waterbending. Air might always be around, but it seems a little too intangible. The best part would be flying, because blowing wind around to fight seems a bit... empty.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Bloodbending
Throwing around lightning would be cool, though.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
But then, why couldn't Airbenders just suck the air out of someone's lungs or something?
Chalk it up to the fact that they're monks who are pretty hardcore about not killing nobody

It also is worth noting that a lot of what we see on the show is really really high level stuff. Katara is a prodigy with something to prove (deadly combination), Toph has a secret insight that makes her borderline unstoppable, and the three best Firebenders in the world are all main characters, the mentors later turn into a five-man army capable of repelling a significant armored invading force by themselves...and one guy is basically four elements Jesus.

Most of us would probably be lucky if we could water bend from a faucet into a cup without splashing all over the place.

Tags
animation , avatar , cabbages , cartoons , deal with it , drunk on noodles , i'm the avatar , icons next to posts , intended for children , jerkbenders , korraxasami yes , m night shyamalan , nickelodeon , not enough boomerangs , not the blue one , some girl zhu li'd him , spider-lin , television , too many varricks , wang fire , xbox answer to miis , zhu li do the thing