The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 AM

Welcome to Twin Beaks.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Goodbye!

I've been reading this essay by David Foster Wallace on David Lynch and the filming of Lost Highway. Very pertinent to this season. It's also a wonderful essay, albeit with some use of "females" as a noun that hits a profoundly sour note in 2017.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Remembers Love

So did Albert smash, or is he just going to smash.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:40 PM

Spoiler maybe? It's a website..

The Zone
Old 07-10-2017, 04:07 PM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Spoiler from access guide to twin peaks from the shows original run. Involving latest episode.

Thanks for posting that. So bubble = flying frog = laura, somehow?or laura was just a vessel for a spirit like bob, but a good one? seems too simple though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
I do hope Albert smash. Definitely going to smash, though, eventually.

More importantly, though:

WE WERE GOING TO GO SCUBA DIVING!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Gordon, Tammy, and Diane were waiting outside for a reason

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Smudged

Quote:
Spoiler maybe? It's a website..

The Zone
Yes

Yesssss
Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfy View Post
Thanks for posting that. So bubble = flying frog = laura, somehow?or laura was just a vessel for a spirit like bob, but a good one? seems too simple though.
While I don't specifically think that was Laura, after-all the demons/woodsmen distracted and put them all to sleep, and considering we saw how well they worked putting bob together, and then the one that looks like lincoln put everyone to sleep. I think that was Bob who had been around since leland was a boy. Laura is still a mystery. As I'm going back over the books, a-lot of the lore doesn't line up, but it would make sense regarding that website I linked. Turns out someone compiled it into a document. Inconsistencies found here!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
I think that was Bob who had been around since leland was a boy.
Oh, now that makes me wonder if the boy and girl are people we actually know in the future..

Anyway, this last episode was a much more down to Earth episode. I also like that we got a nice moment for Bobby. The character spent much of the original series being an asshole but he also clearly loved and respected his dad a lot. I think it's nice that Bobby is getting this journey.

Also, in other events, I can't imagine this will happen, simply since David Lynch doesn't seem like that kind of a guy but I am super-hoping that Lynch was lying that Joan Chen wouldn't return and that the "weird sound" in the hotel subplot might end with Josie's return. I know its unlikely, since I don't think this kind of surprise is Lynch's style but I would be way into that.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Lynch was lying that Joan Chen wouldn't return and that the "weird sound" in the hotel subplot might end with Josie's return. I know its unlikely, since I don't think this kind of surprise is Lynch's style but I would be way into that.
Well about that. Joan Chen had asked to be written out of the story. The terms she left were kind of bad. Though she did write him a hand written letter which states. “I write to you from the wooden drawer knob in which I have been trapped for the past two decades,” she writes, before saying that “the possibilities of who I shall become are as infinite as your fecund imagination.” So who really knows what Lynch would do. However there's a-lot of things I didn't think he would do. Bobby's redemption sort of being one of them.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 AM
nobody in particular

Episode ten: Laura is the one...

Man oh man. This episode felt like a lot more necessary exposition and wheel-spinning to get the characters where they need to be. That said, I still loved it, and it had a lot more satisfying moments than last week.

Richard Horne is confirmed to be Ben and Sylvia's grandson. The obvious conclusion is that he is Audrey's son. That raises the question of who daddy is. John Justice Wheeler, someone unknown from post series 2 or...Dopplecoop? In an earlier episode Doc Hayward states that he last saw Coop (who we know to be Dopplecoop) leaving the ICU where Audrey was after the bank explosion. A few posters on Dugpa speculate that he raped her while she was unconscious. Thematically, Cooper having a child conceived by rape ties into some of the Dougie stuff.

For one thing, Dougie and Janie-E have sex that Dougie enjoys, but clearly cannot consent to. The look on Dougie's face during the post-sex cuddle, well, it looked like Dale to me, as much as a very satisfied Dougie. A Dale who stumbled out of the Black Lodge into a life with a child and a (blonde!) wife, and might like very much to stay there. I just read My Life My Tapes and it helps me see just how much that is something Dale would find incredibly fulfilling. However, MLMT also establishes that death and/or disaster haunts Dale's relationships, so I seriously wonder if Sonny Jim and Janie's days among the living aren't numbered. Then you add in the themes of Dale not consenting to sex with Janie, Dopplecoop raping Audrey and Richard being his son - it's everything Dale wanted in life, but horribly twisted and wrong. I do think that if something horrible happens to Janie or especially Sonny Jim, it could be what wakes Dale up. I have read some people speculating that Dopplecoop raped Audrey before this episode, but it never really seemed like a valid theory until now.

Also, how about Janie's red shoes?

I don't think Diane is dirty. I HOPE Diane isn't dirty. Remember how Dopplecoop tried to tell Gordon, Albert and Tammy that he'd been working undercover with Jeffries? What if he told Diane the same thing but she believed him? She may think Albert, Tammy and Gordon are the bad guys here. It's terribly naive and Diane seems more savvy than that, but love (romantic or platonic) makes us do awful things and helps us to ignore painful truths. She could also have seen right through Dopplecoop's all along, but is keeping her cards close until she has more information or has to come clean. Gordon has always seemed big on keeping information absolutely need to know until the last possible moment.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:24 PM

There wasn't a lot to unpack here that wasn't alreadyybto be said. However Hello Johnny. was the most unsettling thing to me.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfy View Post
Episode ten: Laura is the one...

For one thing, Dougie and Janie-E have sex that Dougie enjoys, but clearly cannot consent to. The look on Dougie's face during the post-sex cuddle, well, it looked like Dale to me, as much as a very satisfied Dougie. A Dale who stumbled out of the Black Lodge into a life with a child and a (blonde!) wife, and might like very much to stay there. I just read My Life My Tapes and it helps me see just how much that is something Dale would find incredibly fulfilling.

It just occurred to me that one of Coop's wishes when he thought he was dying after getting shot was "I would very much like to make love to a beautiful woman who I had genuine affection for."
Old 07-18-2017, 05:06 AM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
It just occurred to me that one of Coop's wishes when he thought he was dying after getting shot was "I would very much like to make love to a beautiful woman who I had genuine affection for."
Ohhhh shit. I forgot about that. I'm not sure it necessarily portends Coop straight up dying, which is something I haven't actually contemplated before. But it does make me think real Coop will wake up and have some feelings for Janye-E and Sonny Jim, who will then of course be ripped away from him in the cruelest possible manner because, you know, this is Cooper we're talking about here.

This went right over my head, but someone on another forum pointed out that Sonny Jim is a fictional child created by a dysfunctional couple in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Now that has me thinking. What if DougieCoop walks in one day to find Mr.C standing over the corpse of Sonny Jim and Janey-E, and that's what triggers waking him up?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Tell me about your mother

I'm going to be pretty upset if they fridge Janey. It just seems so lazy, and a disservice to her character as she's been portrayed so far. She hasn't met Dark Coop yet, true, but so far she's been a firebrand able to browbeat and/or strangle everyone who's tried to mess with her or her family.

It'd also be nice to give Good Coop a happy ending, after all the tragedy he's had to endure so far. After a while, "all personal relationships for this character end in tragedy" storylines get very repetitive and tired (see: Supernatural).
Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Now that has me thinking. What if DougieCoop walks in one day to find Mr.C standing over the corpse of Sonny Jim and Janey-E, and that's what triggers waking him up?
If anything, I expect Sonny Jim to die, possibly as a result of an assassination attempt meant for Dougie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post
I'm going to be pretty upset if they fridge Janey. It just seems so lazy, and a disservice to her character as she's been portrayed so far. She hasn't met Dark Coop yet, true, but so far she's been a firebrand able to browbeat and/or strangle everyone who's tried to mess with her or her family.

It'd also be nice to give Good Coop a happy ending, after all the tragedy he's had to endure so far. After a while, "all personal relationships for this character end in tragedy" storylines get very repetitive and tired (see: Supernatural).

We've really only seen one or two tragedies for Coop so far.
And we didn't really see Caroline. If you've read My Life My Tapes yeah, it's clear that it's a repeated theme but most fans probably haven't, and who knows if it's even really canon. That said, I do really really want to see Good Coop get a happy ending. I don't really expect more Twin Peaks after this,
so however it ends for Coop will be his ultimate fate. I can only hope it's good.

In other news:

more here: http://imgur.com/a/GjIY1

Tags
illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again