The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Disclaimer: Godzilla might only fight one other monster.
But by golly he will rule over it like a king would.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Conquers the World

Kinda weird that it shares its name with the Raymond Burr cut of the original Godzilla but I guess it's not their fault that happens to be an incredible title
Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Safe Space

Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
matrix tuxedo mask

Old 03-26-2017, 11:20 PM
Jump and shoot?

I saw Shin Godzilla recently. As someone who likes the concept of Godzilla, but hasn't bothered watching any of them because 90% of the run time does not involve Godzilla (from my understanding), this gave me what I wanted. That is, Godzilla being a problem and various humans trying to solve that problem, and very little else. Overall, I liked it, despite what the following may sound like. A few random comments:

I didn't realize the behavior of the Japanese higher-ups was meant as a joke. This looked like the perfectly understandable result of a bunch of people trying to follow a chain of command meant for slow, deliberate actions, in a situation that doesn't fall under any particular person's authority and demands an immediate response. I genuinely felt bad for them.

Everything involving this Godzilla being sickly and unnatural and practically falling apart was awesome.

I didn't quite follow the logic of trying to freeze its blood (and coolant) in an attempt to force it into a controlled shutdown phase. That is, it seemed like a wild assumption that this thing even had a shutdown phase, and wouldn't just explode/meltdown all over the city.

Somebody brought up "what if it reaches the nuclear plant?" at some point. I had thought that maybe it came ashore looking for radioactive material to eat, since that's apparently what it had been doing underwater. I wish they'd gone with that, since there didn't seem to be any other reason why it decided to show up now.

The whole subplot with the scientist that discovered it felt like half of it had been left on the cutting room floor, and the origami encryption puzzle was incredibly silly. I don't mind silly, but I wish that had either gone somewhere or been dropped.

So...they dropped multiple buildings on it, THEN drove vehicles right up next to it. And knew exactly what direction it was going to move, and that it would stay on the tracks long enough for the trains to hit it directly, and that the trains would knock it over and somehow keep the roads clear for more vehicles. That's a whole lot of guesswork that worked out perfectly.

I don't even care, attacking Godzilla with trains is awesome.

After completely incapacitating Godzilla by the power of a city's worth of teamwork, one of the main characters is like "whelp, guess we're going to have to live with this now." Some of the themes were too on the nose in places, but this was particularly cringey. You aren't even going to try finishing off an enemy that can no longer fight back?

And now the reason I'm even posting:

Was anyone else extremely creeped out by the first full shot of Godzilla? I now know precisely how people who are afraid of spiders feel when they see one. I can't remember the last time I've had such a strong "ewfuckNOGETITAWAYAHHHH" reaction to anything, ever, and I think house centipedes are cute. Looking around the internet, most people apparently laughed at this. Is it just me?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Knuckle View Post
And now the reason I'm even posting:

Was anyone else extremely creeped out by the first full shot of Godzilla? I now know precisely how people who are afraid of spiders feel when they see one. I can't remember the last time I've had such a strong "ewfuckNOGETITAWAYAHHHH" reaction to anything, ever, and I think house centipedes are cute. Looking around the internet, most people apparently laughed at this. Is it just me?
I find it legitimately creepy, but divorced from the context of the film, I can see how people would find it cute, too.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

it was creepy, and cute, and funny.

Things can make you feel more than one thing.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Find Your Reason

This just came out/is about to come out in Japan on Blu-Ray, right? When will it be released over here?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
This just came out/is about to come out in Japan on Blu-Ray, right? When will it be released over here?
Yeah, it came out on the 22nd.

Usually there's a half year or so gap, give or take a few months. There are exceptions, though, like the endlessly delayed Evangelion 3.33. My guess is that this has a pretty smooth path to an international release, though...
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Space Prez

It is still getting theatrical releases in some international markets, I think Germany was just in the last few weeks. So it could be a while.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
it was creepy, and cute, and funny.

Things can make you feel more than one thing.
Yeah. It's a pitiable being that's extremely deadly. It makes me feel several things at once and that's creepier and more memorable than a generic angry monster.

It's also got silly googly eyes that might make me laugh if I didn't find it all so unsettling.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Jump and shoot?

For me it was the immediate combination of the googly deep-sea-fish eyes and the extreme wobbling motion that just screamed "this does not belong here." It's more shoving itself down the road than walking, and seems relatively upright more by accident than on purpose.

It was really good, is all I'm saying.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
oh my car

Godzilla never grows eyelids at any point in the movie.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Godzilla never grows eyelids at any point in the movie.
There is that membrane that covers his (its?) eyes during the breath scene, if you want to count that.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Shin Godzilla out on Blu Ray on August 1st
Old 07-03-2017, 08:54 PM
This Guy

I watched Godzilla versus Biollante with my 2 year old nephew. I've never seen him more excited than when Godzilla was stomping around, other than when he saw a guy drive a jeep. The best part was him waving goodbye to Godzilla as he walked off into the ocean at the end.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 PM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Yes! Get 'em started young!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:29 PM
oh my car

Quote:
I caught this in theaters last year and I want to say: see this movie if you haven't.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Little Waves

Yeah, anyone who missed its extremely limited theatrical run should know it is Really Good.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:52 PM
We just don't know.

Very Agree
Old 07-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Find Your Reason

All I want out of the Blu Ray is a) a director's commentary, and b) the God Warrior short that was bundled in with the theatrical Evangelion 3.33 1/3rd and nowhere else.

Or maybe a soundtrack-only version of the film, too.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 PM
King Of Space-Time

Tags
anno is displeased , dizzaster film , godzilla , gojira , hilarious android , kaiju , spoiler: godzilla wins , writers a and b