The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I saw just rewatched the TV series and End of Evangelion for the first time this week. The first time I saw them was in the late 90s when I was in high school. My feelings about the following parts changed the most:

First Viewing

Show in general: This show has great art, writing and music, and is a great example of why anime is cooler than American media!

Shinji: Wow, this guy is exactly like me! How did they read my mind?

Rei: Oh man, she's the coolest girl I've ever seen on a screen! Drool...

Asuka: She's really annoying, but in a fun, anime kind of way.

Misato: Shinji's kinda unfortunate to have been brought into the life of such a slob.

Kaji: ...

Rewatch

Show in general: This show holds up, but it suffers from Citizen Kane syndrome thanks to stuff like Xenogears and Pacific Rim.

Shinji: Middle school and high school sure were depressing. I'm so glad those years are long gone and I've become a better adjusted person.

Rei: My god, what did I ever see in her? I struggle to even see her as a human being now. If a real girl was this unemotional and introverted she'd be in intensive therapy, not piloting a giant robot. Good thing this show doesn't dwell on her any longer than it has to or I might want to hang myself.

Asuka: Dayum she's hot! She only annoys Shinji because she wants him to be the best he can be! Too bad her underlying problems are as bad as everyone else's and she never helps Shinji figure her out. Also too bad I avoided girls like her when I was in middle and high school, but then again I wouldn't have been able to figure them out either.

Misato: Misato has her problems but she's really generous to take in a lonely, neglected teenager.

Kaji: He knows what level he's on with the ladies. He gets it on with Misato, only flirts with Ritsuko and acts stone cold towards Asuka. Smart.

I'm going to watch the Rebuilds next. I posted this before reading this thread, so I'm looking forward to catching up on the conversations you guys had about this show eight years ago.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:03 AM
twinkling photon

I'm currently rewatching this show with a friend who's never seen it, and has somehow lived outside the Eva Spoiler Zeitgeist for his entire life. I'm jealous.

Points of order:
-Man I forgot how beautiful some of the hand-painted cels in this show are. Why can't digital cels look like that. Why did we settle for Digipaint for a damned decade. Why hasn't the entire machinery of the anime industry toiled for the last twenty years to make something that looks anywhere near as good as this:

-I still love those minute-long pauses punctuated by nothing but recordings, muffled radio dialogue & cicada chirping, but they are pretty awkward to watch with somebody else

-I definitely do not want to have sex with any of these people. I want them to take better care of themselves. It breaks my heart to know they won't, at least not in this lifetime.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Are You Sure About That?

You can do that with digital tools (even back in the day), but it costs time, and time = $$$. The difference is that early Gainax was the damn king at stretching their budget, saving their money for the big setpieces and reducing the rest to stills, slideshows, and switching cuts between headshots. What made anime of the 80s and early 90s different was all the Japanese bubble money flowing into it.

Digital tools just raised the average animation quality, since it makes tweening and copy/pasting mostly identical frames super easy and cheap.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM
so exciting!

The fourth rebuild may actually be happening
http://www.evangelion.co.jp

Be sure to catch it on Blu Ray in 2021 when it finally gets released in North America
Old 07-28-2017, 09:24 AM
It's all good, man

'21 sounds optimistic actually
Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 AM
so exciting!

you're right because this probably won't come out until 2019. better make it 2023
Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Find Your Reason

The original Evangelion audience will have grandnieces and grandnephews by the time the Rebuild has been completely rebuilt.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I mean, I was introduced to the series on VHS in high school in the late 90s, and I have a grandnephew already, so yes.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:47 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
you're right because this probably won't come out until 2019. better make it 2023
Third Impact may actually occur before it gets released.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Khara made a short film about the history of the company. The latter half is mostly about Anno's depression after Eva Q. The ending suggests he's feeling better now and that they're starting work on the next movie.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Not a Beer

Heh, on a whim I tried turning on auto-generated auto-translated subtitles and that was worse than useless.

Also it never stops disturbing me how Anno's wife Moyoko is drawn as a baby in all their biographical animations, but I guess that's her standard self-insert drawing for her manga notes, so.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Heh, on a whim I tried turning on auto-generated auto-translated subtitles and that was worse than useless.
The Japanese speech-->text mechanism on this creates 100% gibberish that doesn't get close to any words they're saying, so if the auto-translation is based on that yeah it's basically just a Dadaist poetry piece.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Remembers Love

Tags
evangelion , folding chairs , gainax , get in the fucking robot , hedgehog's dilemma , mind-raping , mindblowing , q horse , where are the blu-rays?