AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 13

DEATH EGG ZONE

TREKKIES
FanboyMaster - MarsDragon - MuteKi - MorningSong

"Oh what like, you a big fan of the Fett?"
"I was always more of a Star Wars guy."

NOTES
  • DEATH EGG IS MEGA-ENORMOUS NOW. Hey remember when this stage was just a pair of boss rooms? Well now it's an absolute monster of a stage with 2 acts filled to the brim with things that want to kill you so hard. It really owns the whole "ultimate creation of a mad scientist who fucking hates that hedgehog" thing and for that I love it.
  • THERE'S A WHOLE TON OF WEIRD ONE-OFF GIMMICKS. The turbine room where you gotta hit all he buttons on the one platform is pretty neat, and the second act's whole deal with changing the direction of the gravity is fucking brilliant. I could have done without the long electrified floors and the weird light tubes that take forever and make the awful WEPWEPWEP noise though.
  • I LOVE HOW YOU CAN SEE THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH IN THE BACKGROUND OF ACT 2. And not just because I'm sure it would piss off flat-earthers. Were people even aware of Flat-earthers back in 1994?
  • THE FIRST TWO BOSSES ARE PRETTY COOL. The act 1 boss starts as a pillar that swings a bunch of balls at you, then changes into a climb-the-floating platforms challenge where you gotta avoid it's giant fuck you laser. The second Act boss is another puzzle deal, where you can only hurt him with his own little remote control cars by either carefully timing when you flip the gravity, or hitting him with the ones that are already upside down. They're both pretty rad, but they're not exactly final boss quality. Fortunately for us,
  • THE FINAL BOSS IS A GODDAMN WORK OF ART. I love this whole sequence. The slow reveal, the finger smash bit that's there basically to lull you into a false sense of security, the way it starts chasing you down and tearing it's own space station apart to get to you faster, firing it's enormous COOL ROCK-powered laser and shooting fire out it's nose and EVERYTHING! And then when you finally kill it Robotnik cuts his losses and tries to get away? This shit is amazing and I goddamn love it.
  • WELL OKAY I GUESS THAT'S THE END OF THE GAME AND I'M NOW 100% DONE FOREVER. Thanks for reading this let's play that is very definitely now over and will never be updated again.
MuteKi: Japan's obsession with Star Wars did not prevent the existence of scorpion Vader in that one NES game.
FanboyMaster: That's just proof that you care too much about Star Wars.
BEAT: Yeah like, if you care a lot about Star Wars, you're going to like, look at Darth Vader and say "You know what, the only thing that could make this better is if he was a fuckin scorpion.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Another thing I really enjoy about DEZ: act 1's background is actually meant to represent the curvature of the station. It's a shame there's no scrolling in the background (part of the way they managed to get the stage to be MEGA HUEG was by replacing the part of RAM used to control scrolling with MOAR LEVEL); if the stage shows up in Mania I can only hope they have a rotation scrolling effect like that in it. That's the kind of thing I want. Sorta like that one room in Castlevania IV or the tower stages in Dynamite Headdy.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Little Waves

I never knew you could roll into those spike pods to send them into the first Act 2 boss. I've always manipulated them entirely by using the elevator, trying to time it perfectly so the boss will be in position to intercept the pods right when gravity reverses. I used to be a lot worse at it, too, so it wouldn't be uncommon for me to get to the Giant Eggman Robo with maybe ten seconds left on the timer. And if you die in that section—like, say, from a Time Over—you start from the beginning of it, so then you have to do the whole thing with no rings. But this changes everything!

What a great final boss, too. Surely nothing could follow up such an impressive spectacle! Thanks for another great LP.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Last edited by muteKi; 06-20-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 14

THE DOOMSDAY ZONE

WATCHING THE APOCALYPSE
FanboyMaster - MarsDragon - MuteKi - MorningSong

Were you fooled by my extremely cunning lies in the last update? I apologize for tricking you like that, and pinky swear that it won't happen again.

NOTES
  • NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. There's a long-standing tradition in video games that states that the true final challenge should be to play a tiny piece of some other video game that bears no resemblance to the one you've been playing until now. Super Mario Brothers 3 is a game about jumping, so the final challenge is standing still while someone else jumps. Halo: Combat Evolved, is a game about shooting guns, so it's final challenge is about driving a car. Mass Effect 2 is a game about scanning planets for minerals and about talking to your crew, so it's ending is about shooting guns and murdering your crew. S3&K upholds this proud tradition by being a game about running on the ground end by demanding you fly through space.
  • FIRST YOU FLY THROUGH A BUNCH OF ROCKS. You'd think this segment is would be there to get you familiar with your brand new SPACEFLIGHT controls. And you'd be right. But it's also there to give you a chance to grab enough rings for part 2. I am notably bad at this, which is why I die around 1:45
  • THEN YOU RUN INTO ROBOTNIK'S DUMB BAD BLUE SHIP. The trick here is to guide the missiles it shoots at you back into it's own stupid face. It's kinda a pain in the ass, because the missiles rarely want to play ball and Robotnik's annoying peashooter can screw up your trajectory really easily. Also there are no rings in this area, so the second you get through the rock field you're on a timer.
  • THEN YOU FUCK UP ROBOTNIK'S AWESOME KICKASS RED ESCAPE MACHINE. So the blue ship was lame as hell but this part is fucking cool. No more screwing around with homing missles, just chase down that mad scientist asshole and fuck his shit up. There's a reason 90% of future Sonic games made Super Sonic the secret thing you need for the final boss. It's because goddamn doomsday zone am I right.
  • OH ALSO THE MUSIC IS AWESOME. But you already knew that.
  • ENDING CUTSCENE! Sonic falls back to Earth, gets caught by Tails, and gives Knuckles his cool rock back! Then they fly away into the sunset with a bunch of dolphins, while we all argue about how nerds hate editing. Thanks for watching!
MuteKi: Seriously though, if you get a chance, watch Dan Olston's videos on the Crimaster Cycle. They're amazing.
BEAT: No. I refuse. Get your own let's play and prop up his videos there.

Last edited by BEAT; 06-21-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: ADDING "THE" PER KISHI'S POST.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:31 AM

EPILOGUE BONUS POST!

WOW BEAT YOU REALLY LOVE SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES.

You know, I really do!

There's something about returning to the only games you had as a kid and finding out if the warm memories of childhood can stand up to the cold brutality of reality. A lot of the games that I played a lot on my Genesis I can't really return to today. But the Sonic games? They're legit good. And while I prefer to experience them nowadays with the little adjustments made by these romhacks, it's just plain nice to know that some of the stuff from when we were kids actually holds up to our refined adult sensibilit

Knuckles I am in the middle of something here could you please wait until afte

What no of course there's not going to be any more updates downthread. The LP's over so if you'll just let me get back to

Well of course I'm not gonna do that I mean it's a Sonic game, People didn't come for the "& Knuckles" part so

ALRIGHT FINE I'LL FUCKING DO IT GEEZE.

This fucking guy. Total dick.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Fifth Business

This thread continues to renew my love and appreciation for Knuckles.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 AM
Little Waves

The Doomsday is a lot tougher if you're Super Sonic instead of Hyper Sonic, since you can't press a button to dash around the screen. The good news is you can hang back and get as many rings as you like before trying to advance on Eggman.

For some reason, it's important to me that the name of the zone has the word "the" in it. It's not Doomsday; it's The Doomsday. I guess the fact that no other zone title is like that, combined with the fact that it's the last one, lends it a certain gravitas.

And speaking of gravitas, thanks for calling out the music. It's easily one of my all-time favorites.

This also might be the prettiest zone in the game to me—which might sound strange given it takes place in the cold expanse of space, but there are a lot of great color choices at work. Bright yellow Super Sonic, bright red Eggman, bright green Master Emerald, bright blue planet...all popping out from the contrast with the pitch-black view of space. It's a great example of how the Mega Drive could produce some bold hues even if it couldn't display a whole lot of them at once.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
The Doomsday is a lot tougher if you're Super Sonic instead of Hyper Sonic, since you can't press a button to dash around the screen.
I'm not sure this is true, actually; I remember being able to do that while super having been so used to playing that way as hyper. I may have to check tonight.

and great gifs as always
Old 06-21-2017, 12:27 PM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 15

ANGEL ISLAND ZONE

LITTLE BIRDIE PARTYGOERS
Caliscrub - MarsDragon - Trynant - FanboyMaster - MuteKi

Here I come, rougher than the rest of em.

NOTES
  • KNUCKLES' CAMPAIGN IS A "SEQUEL" TO SONIC'S. The game never explicitly states this, just implies it with background details. This lead me (and presumably a lot of other 8-year olds who weren't into trying to find subtle differences in the background layers) to assume that we were seeing two versions of the same story, and that Knuckles was just leaving out all the times he was a total dick out of his retelling. But nope! Everything in this playthrough takes place AFTER Sonic & Tails fucked up the Death Egg, returned Knuckles' cool rock and peaced out.
  • OKAY, SO WHAT IS KNUCKLES' STORY THEN? Some random EggRobo got left behind on the floating Island, stumbled across all the broken shit his boss left behind, and was like "oh yeah I know what to do with this stuff". So he fixed it all up, then set off some firecrackers in Knuckles' font yard as a harmless practical joke. Knuckles responded to this good-natured ribbing by resolving to break everything EggRobo had just repaired. If that sounds like a slightly less epic adventure than Sonic's quest to fuck up an enormous orbital weapon... well yeah. Pretty much.
  • SAME LEVELS, DIFFERENT ROUTES. So knuckles goes through the exact same maps as Sonic, but his path he takes to the end is almost always completely different. The big example in this video is that one rock wall near the end of Act one, which confused the hell out of every kid that played Sonic 3 by itself. Usually the two games path's will intersect and converge and diverge all over the place, but Knuckles' Angel Island Act 2 is a weird exception, in that it's located way beneath Sonic's and the two never meet up at all.
  • OH YEAH ALSO I HAVE HYPER KNUCKLES. He glows pink and I guess he's a little faster so that's cool I guess. Whatever.
BEAT: Alright, everybody sound off really quick. Like, say something.
Trynant: Sound off.
MuteKi: Hi.
Caliscrub: Testing.
BEAT: Like introduce yourselves! I mean- You assholes! Oh my god!

Last edited by BEAT; 06-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

There's a little cutscene of sorts that plays after beating the game as Super Sonic where a single eggrobo rises triumphantly from a large pile of eggrobo wreckage. I can get a capture later. It's confusing if you don't realize that Sonic's story thus leads into to that of Knuckles.

Also looking at Kishi's gifs again I never realized the bombs the final final boss tosses are shaped like little eggmans.

The cutscene at the start of Knuckles' gameplay isn't unique to Sonic 3 Complete, but it doesn't show up in unmodded Sonic 3K. Instead, it shows up at the beginning of Knuckles' route in vanilla S&K, set in Mushroom Hill. That's one of two sorta-nice things about starting a Knuckles game in S&K, the other being that the start of Mushroom Hill provides a cleaner tutorial that makes you learn Knuckles' abilities better. (The first S&K demo is of that area when you play as Knuckles, but it doesn't play in the unmodded S3K demo loop, probably because the starting points for Mushroom Hill are different between vanilla S&K and S3K.)

Anyway, it's a minor thing, but having both the Knuckles intro and the Mushroom Hill demo are two things I really like about Sonic 3 Complete.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM

I cannot express how much I love the onslaught of GIFs that this thread's gotten hit with. Kishi, Muteki, You two are WONDERFUL. Please continue to do your thing forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post

For some reason, it's important to me that the name of the zone has the word "the" in it. It's not Doomsday; it's The Doomsday. I guess the fact that no other zone title is like that, combined with the fact that it's the last one, lends it a certain gravitas.

My brain is bad & dumb because for some reason I thought the stage was always just "DOOMSDAY ZONE" and the "THE" on the title card was something added by overzealous romhackers. I went back and corrected the post and the youtube title, now that I've been shown the error of my ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
OH MY GOD I NEVER REALIZED THE BOMBS HE FIRED AT YOU WERE PAINTED LIKE LITTLE EGGMANS THAT'S SO PERFECT I'M FLIPPING THE FUCK OUT.

EDIT: Hey Kishi, I've been I quote-posting your gifs in here into your gif thread so that the SCOUNDRELS AND CHARLATANS who don't follow my bad Let's Plays might enjoy them as I have. I figured that was probably okay because they're your gifs in your gif thread but if I'm stepping over the line here just say the word and I'll kill that post and quit my shit forevermore.

Last edited by BEAT; 06-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Little Waves

Naw, it's all good.

I'll third being bedeviled by that rock wall before Sonic & Knuckles came out. Since Super Sonic can blast right through barriers Sonic normally needs a spin dash to break, I was sure that was the key. I couldn't believe it when it didn't work. That only left the rumors that Knuckles was playable somehow...

I was also always disappointed Knuckles didn't have any different sprites for his super form, unlike Sonic. In the comics at the time, Pat Spaziante had the idea that his dreadlocks would grow out to SSJ3 length, which I was pretty down with.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

By the way, since a lot of people apparently don't know this, the "ch" in "echidna" is pronounced with a "k" sound. Think of it this way:

Honey, I Shrunk the Echidnas!

or

Honey, I Blew Up the Echidna!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 AM

The little half-sized sprites for the Sonic 3 Multiplayer are just adorable.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:26 PM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 16

HYDROCITY ZONE

LUDO NARRATIVE DISSENTERS
MuteKi - Caliscrub - MarsDragon - Trynant - FanboyMaster

Gee it sure would be neat if I was able to hold onto a bubble shield for more than 20 seconds, huh?

NOTES
  • KNUCKLES CAN GLIDE BECAUSE HIS COOL HAIR CATCHES THE AIR. Caliscrub, bold hero that he is, confirmed this in the video with live research. We are finally science.
  • THE WATER EFFECTS IN THIS LEVEL ARE REALLY NICE. Sonic 3 Unlocked has a nice writeup on how the effect is pulled off on the genesis, but they neglect to mention my favorite little detail in this level, which is how they use a bunch of background that move closer together and further apart based on how above or below the surface you are.
  • KNUCKLES HAS A TOUGH TIME WITH BOSSES. His jump height is just a few pixels shorter than Sonic's but that's a pretty big deal in a game like this one. On top of that, most of the bosses we fought as Sonic now have different patterns which give you fewer chances to attack. With some of them you'd never even notice it, and with others it's all you can see. And that's my excuse for why the Act 2 boss took me FOR-FUCKING-EVER.
Trynant: I'm sure you're better at [Sonic 3] than me now though.
FanboyMaster: I was not good at Sonic as a child. Played a lot of it, but I was never actually good at it.
MuteKi: Well me neither. So I guess that makes most of us?
BEAT: I was good as hell. You guys are just weirdos.

Last edited by BEAT; 06-23-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Little Waves

I can't believe Sonic 3 invented ludonarrative dissonance.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

I thought I'd take a moment to be clear about the boss differences we've seen so far. Sonic 3's bosses have a tendency to go down pretty quickly, so you might not have noticed the differences, but here's a pretty thorough examination of the bosses we've encountered so far in Knuckles' playthrough:

AIZ1 ("Fire breath"): In addition to the boss's flamethrower seen vs. Sonic/Tails, it also fires out three bombs in the style of the one that sets the first act ablaze. These land in predictable places and are easy enough to avoid, but the boss is harder to hit because it moves almost as soon as it fires those bombs off, rather than waiting around like with Sonic/Tails. Plus, it's harder to get the flame shield as Knuckles, so just sitting under the boss and jumping at it isn't a working strategy this time.

AIZ2 ("Flame mobile"): The distinctive boss from the (American) cover of the game fires out two flames from each of the two jets instead of just one. The second flame from the first jet is timed to come just before the first from the other jet, so gliding over both is necessary to remain unscathed. Again, the lack of a convenient flame shield in the area leading to it makes this boss tougher than with Sonic, but with one it's pretty easy, and the quick-kill as it's blowing up the bridge is still possible.

HCZ1 ("Big Shaker"): No difference in pattern. Harder to jump over due to Knuckles' lower jump height, but easily avoided by climbing the walls on the sides of the arena and gliding away when it's about to come by.

HCZ2 ("Screw Mobile"): The difference in attack pattern is pretty minimal, but leads to an exceptionally tricky boss for what's the fourth level of the game. All that changes is that the Eggrobo doesn't bring the craft down in order to shoot the waterspout. Thus no easy couple hits right at the start. Knuckles' best shot at an easy hit is to ride the spout on its way down and jump at the craft from there; riding the bombs is also an option, and since Knuckles can glide over their updrafts, a little easier to use than with Sonic. It's also possible to ride those just above the boss and use that to combo a few hits at once, just as it was with Sonic, but it's high-risk for high reward.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 AM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 17

MARBLE GARDEN ZONE

CAPTIVE AUDIENCE
Caliscrub - MarsDragon - Trynant - FanboyMaster - MuteKi

WHAT'RE YA DOING

NOTES
  • I REALLY LIKE HOW THIS ZONE STARTS. That series of massive slopes that go on for crazy long is a really cool way to kick things off. Probably should have mentioned that back in Part 3 since that time I went all the way down instead of taking the early exit, but whatever.
  • BIG MOUTH BILLY BASS STORY. Do they still make those talking wall-mounted fish? It seems like one of those niche markets that's basically recession-proof, right?
  • DON'T FORGET OUR E-SPORTS DREAM. The amount of raw work I put into the writing and editing of LET'S ALL READ SC2VN defies all human logic. I demand you all go read it right now so that my madness might be retroactively justified. I'd ask you to watch the videos as well, but even I know that would be pushing my luck.
  • KNUCKLES' ACT 2 PATH IS KINDA OUT-THERE. Around 9:20 in the video there's one of those wall-mounted arrow spitting red eyeball things, and killing it will open the floor so you can continue. Sonic can jump high enough to kill it no problem, but Knuckles can't reach it. The solution is to go back outside a little ways and start climbing walls to get on his path to the boss. They give you a little arrow sign pointing straight up as a hint as to where you're supposed to go, but the moment never struck me as very intuitive.
  • THE FIRST COMPLETELY UNIQUE KNUCKLES BOSS! In a Sonic or Tails game, this boss is fought way up in the sky. For Knuckles, it's fought in an underground area, where it shoots a spike chain out of the floor and ceiling, and rides around on it. It's a pretty cool way to get more use out of the same boss machine.
FanboyMaster: COME TALK TO OL' BILLY.
BEAT:BILLY'S YER FRIEND. BILLY LIKES YOU.

Last edited by BEAT; 06-23-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM

Default GEE I HOPE NOBODY FINDS THE CLEVERLY HIDDEN SECRET MESSAGE IN THIS POST.

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 18

CARNIVAL NIGHT ZONE

REVELERS
MarsDragon - Trynant - FanboyMaster - MuteKi - Caliscrub

Do me a favor. Go to Zone 0's Carnival Night Zone page, and take a quick look at their maps for Act 1 and Act 2. Like, all zoomed out on your browser or phone screen or whatever so you can see the whole thing at once. Looking at it like that, you'd probably conclude that the level is pretty BIG and COMPLEX. And you'd be correct!

But only for the Sonic and Tails playthrough. I took the liberty of highlighting what Knuckles gets to experience of those two maps (after shrinking them down to a quarter of their size because imgur) and hoo boy talk about the short end of the stick.

the weird thing is, I can't really think of any reason as for why his route is like that. If Sonic Team was running short on time on this level, wouldn't it have made more sense to just to put Knuckles on the Sonic Path? There's only one spot I can think where they'd have to make a tiny adjustment to give him full access, and plenty of other stages put both characters on the same trail for the majority of the stage. But here, the only meaningful crossover between the two routes is at the beginning of Act 2. Then Sonic gets a massive maze and Knuckles gets... a straight line.

Weird.

NOTES
  • A+ LEVEL TRANSITION. Marble Garden ended with a little cutscene of Knuckles strolling off to the right. So this level starts with him just strolling in from the left. Guess he just felt like a walk.
  • WE TALK ABOUT HOW WEIRDLY PERMISSIVE SEGA IS OF IT'S QUESTIONABLY-LEGAL HACKING/FANGAME COMMUNITY. While Nintendo has a long history of sending out a cease & desist every time someone makes a fangame based on one of their IP's, Sega comes as close as they legally can to actually encouraging that shit. The romhacks in the steam workshop is the strongest evidence to be sure, but my favorite indicator of their additude towards hackers is that when the Unleashed Project mod was released, Sega put the Steam version of Sonic Generations on sale.
  • ALSO, SONIC DREAMS COLLECTION. Oh man, Sonic Dreams collection. That was a fucking trip.
  • THE ACT 1 BOSS STILL SUCKS. I die, then die again, then stumble into a big ring and cheese him with Hyper Knuckles. Because fuck that boss.
  • THE ACT 2 BOSS DOESN'T EXIST. Knuckles just runs headlong into the animal container at the end of the stage! It's so weird you guys.
MuteKi: I still haven't watched [the Sonic Dreams collection LP]. My excuse is that it would be too close to touching the the face of God and I'm not sure my brain would be able to handle it.
FanboyMaster: Your idea of God is a Sonic the Hedgehog dating simulator?
MuteKi: Well I mean like, one of those Greek gods who fuck everything.
Fanboymaster: That's even more upsetting.
MarsDragon: God is a sword.
BEAT: God is a knife.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 PM

RECORDING MORE RIGHT NOW

YOU CAN COME WATCH LIVE AND YELL AT ME TO ADD YOU TO VOICE IN THE TEXT CHAT I GUESS WHATEVER. https://www.smashcast.tv/beathatesall
Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

aw man, you're doing this when I'm at work and can't participate! is this because I said "don't fuckle with knuckles' in the discord?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
[*]DON'T FORGET OUR E-SPORTS DREAM. The amount of raw work I put into the writing and editing of LET'S ALL READ SC2VN defies all human logic. I demand you all go read it right now so that my madness might be retroactively justified. I'd ask you to watch the videos as well, but even I know that would be pushing my luck.
I read it and watched the videos when you first posted it. So I'm sorry but I'm not going to do that again.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Boss differences:

MGZ1 ("Tunnelbot"): As with HCZ2's boss, the difference is this guy doesn't go as far down in the ground. Of course, since that's the only time it would be vulnerable, there has to be a trick: now there's a spiked pillar (of the sorts that show up regularly in the stage) that pops up to give Knuckles enough height to hit the boss. Of course, it's easy to get hit by either the spikes on the side of the pillar or the

MGZ2 ("Drill mobile"): A completely different boss pattern due to lack of air support, it still bears some resemblance to the original: instead of flying in the air and coming through the screen in the direction it flies away, the eggbot's craft shoots two strings of spikedballs (which, yes, cause contact damage) from one side of the arena to the other in either diagonal or vertical patterns, boxing off regions of the space and then becoming vulnerable as it travels along path marked by the spikes. One of only 2-3 unique Knuckles bosses depending on how you count them.

It's possible, though difficult, to get Knuckles into the Sonic/Tails boss area. Tails will show up for the fight! It's otherwise pretty unremarkable, since it's the same boss.

CNZ1 ("Bowling Spin"): The silly-name boss doesn't have an obviously different pattern, but since it uses the bottom edge of the screen to bounce off of, it's more likely to damage the bricks since Knuckles can't jump up as high and thus clear more of the bricks off the screen. Working quickly is key. I think the collision detection is more aggressive for the drill, so it destroys more bricks on contact but I don't have any really concrete proof of this right now.

CNZ2 ("Graviton Mobile"): What boss? Well, OK, actually, you can fight this one as Knuckles if you climb up the tunnel that normally carries Sonic to the boss, but it's an obnoxious boss because its pattern doesn't change: the only time the boss drops down low enough to get hit is when it goes down to pick up that metal ball. In a level that's already pretty long (and with a boss that's ultimately just a more boring version of the Hydrocity boss as Knuckles), I can't really complain about the easy out they give you.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I can't count the number of times the level has glitched I've got caught in a trap set by Robotnik and I can't scroll over to where the animal prison thing is, and I had to climb up and fight the Sonic boss just to leave.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Yeah. That is one of the most crucial bugfixes this version of the game provides.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 19

FLYING BATTERY ZONE

DEATH PANEL
Trynant - FanboyMaster - MuteKi - Caliscrub - MarsDragon - MagFlare

Hi my name is BEAT and I'm bad at video games.

NOTES
  • KNUCKLES' PATH THOUGH THIS LEVEL IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO SONIC'S. The only difference between the two is the start point, where he teleports in instead of starting on the outside railing. The two paths then immediately converge, and stay that way until the very end.
  • THIS VIDEO IS A COMBINATION OF TWO SEPARATE STREAMS. That's why it's so long and why there's a sudden change in the commentator roster about halfway through. So why did I decide to quit mid-level instead of making it through to the end? Well accounts differ, but I think it had something to do with the constant easily avoidable deaths.
  • I DIE A CRAP TON IN THIS LEVEL. How many times? Gee, I dunno. LET'S FIND OUT!
    • 01 - 00:28 - BIG HOLE. Because screw waiting around for floating platforms.
    • 02 - 01:06 - THE VERY SAME BIG HOLE. I just really hate waiting around for floating platforms you guys.
    • 03 - 02:52 - MAGNETS. The ceiling magnets just had to pick that exact moment. Assholes.
    • 04 - 08:12 - SPIRAL. And that was where I called the end of the first stream. Maybe I'll do better next time?
    • 05 - 09:15 - THE VERY SAME BIG HOLE AGAIN. Apparently not, no.
    • 06 - 11:29 - THE VERY SAME MAGNETS. Wait what the fuck no I'm calling bullshit on that one.
  • IT'S STILL A REALLY COOL LEVEL THOUGH. I just suck at it.
  • OH ALSO SONIC 3 COMPLETE FIXED THE BOSS SPRITE. So all the knuckles bosses are supposed to be piloted by an Eggrobo, but in vanilla S3&K, this one is always Robotnik. The reason for this was that Robotni'k's spirte is facing the player in this boss, and EggRobo doesn't have any animations for looking straight at you. That's kinda neat I guess. Whatever.
BEAT: Sound off guys.
FanboyMaster: It's me, I'm fin boy mister-
BEAT: Gross.
MagFlare: Hi, I'm Magflare!
BEAT: Hi Magflare!
FanboyMaster: Wow. I see where your loyalties lie.
BEAT: Yeah no, you're always on these things! It's not special when you're here anymore!

Last edited by BEAT; 06-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Flying Battery Zone is the only level Knuckles accesses that's wholly devoid of Knuckles-exclusive paths. It's less obvious in Sonic & Knuckles on its own since the lack of Tails means a few shortcuts are difficult for Sonic to reach. I think I mention it somewhere in the video, but Flying Battery was probably supposed to be skipped by Knuckles completely. It's not a bad level by any means, but probably my least favorite in the game.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Default SEE IT'S AN ICE CUBE SONG GET IT ICE CAP ICE CUBE AHAHAHAHA I'M HILARIOUS.

SONIC 3 COMPLETE 20

ICE CAP ZONE

THE COLD SHOULDERS
FanboyMaster - MagFlare

Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God.
I don't know but today seems kinda odd.

NOTES
  • NEW LEVEL INTRO In Standard S3&K, the teleporter at the end of Carnival night drops knuckles off in a little side room at the start of the level. SC3 changes it to fit the different stage order by having Knuckles Fall into the stage from Flying Battery, just like Sonic did in Part 6. Sadly, he is denied a kickass little snowboarding sequence, meaning that the whole level is RUINED FOREVER.
  • KNUCKLES' PATH IS PRETTY DIFFERENT FROM SONIC'S. Loads of breakable walls lead to Knuckles-exclusive areas, and the act 1 boss is now fought deep underground. The game also introduces a new hazard that's completely unseen in Sonic's playthrough in the form of the little floating spike balls seen around a minute in. It's a little thing, but it makes the area feel new and unfamiliar and I totally love it.
  • MOST EASILY AVOIDABLE DEATH EVER. Right around 1:30. What was I even thinking? Was I even thinking?
  • TALKIN' BOUT THE HISTORY OF ANALOG STICKS. The one on the right is for the camera! That's what it's there for! Why would you ever use it for something that's not the camera?! What is wrong with you?!
  • THE ACT 2 BOSS IS KINDA FRUSTRATING AS KNUCKLES. Like, yeah you can totally see how to beat him without taking a single hit with the most cursory glance but that takes SO LONG I WANNA GO FAST.
FanboyMaster: I feel like the one that Was designed for 3 hands is, well, I was playing Castlevania Legacy of Darkness and-
BEAT: I don't know why you insist on hurting yourself like that Fanboy.

Tags
& knuckles , gotta stream fast , keyboard vomit from beat , knuckles gifs , sonic the hedgehog , video lp