Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
MURDER THAT DOCTOR
COUNT ON IT
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post

That's an understatement.
This is my favorite line in the game. They pack a lot of personality into Momorin for the short time she's around.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
This is my favorite line in the game. They pack a lot of personality into Momorin for the short time she's around.
Yeah, it really stood out to me as I was taking screenshots, in no small part because the Nicalis translation of the same line is just super bad. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it's something like "men who treat women poorly are barbarians".
Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Sudden chomper

Default Chapter 10, Part 1

Chapter 10: Final Cave
♪♪Last Cave♪♪

This is it, the Final Cave! There are definitely no caves after this one. We'll have to change the
name of the LP to "No Caves Story" from here on out.

"Last Cave" is a great piece of music, by the way. It's got a driving beat and a melody that
communicates to the player the fact that things are about to get real. I was going to include
a comment here dumping on the New arrangement of the song from the Wii port of Cave Story,
but the more I listen to it, the more I kind of like it. Aside from that silly intro, anyway. And
if you want to hate on the New soundtrack, we'll have a much better opportunity next update.

The Final Cave is filled with red critters, but as you can see here, they aren't any more dangerous
than the ones from the First Cave.

Nope, the primary hazard that we'll be facing here is spikes, which have been applied liberally
to pretty much every surface in the place.

It's weird for me to play this part of the game, for reasons that I'll get into later. Suffice to say
that I didn't remember very much about it!

For example, what's up here?

Oh, it's more spikes.

In case you were wondering where Pixel took his inspiration, these falling drops of red acid ought
to be a fairly clear hint. The only homage more direct in the game is the "item get" jingle.

Thankfully, these drops don't pack nearly the punch that the ones at the end of Mega Man 2 do.
Four HP won't mean much to anyone who isn't playing a low-HP challenge run. And of course
those people exist.

We make our way up to the next level and into a series of pretty tricky rooms. Do you like spikes?
Have all the spikes in the world!

Man, really missing that level 3 machine gun right now.

This floor of the cave features an endless supply of bats, slowly flying to the right. Even worse,
these guys have no respect for the background, flying through it with impunity. Kids these days!

Ain't no part like a spike party.

We wrap around and head to the next level up, which isn't quite so claustrophobic. Some of the
blocks in the floor here are insubstantial, which could end up dropping you on the spikes...

...except when there's a hidden fan between you and them. Why would Pixel design a trap like
this only to protect the player from its effects? We'll find out soon!

The top floor of the Final Cave is home to this intimidating array of thwomps. Looks like we'll
have to run for it!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

-aaAAaaaaaAAAaaaaa-

-aaaaaaaAAAaaahhh!!

Phew, we made it! Time for some payback.

Take that, you stupid rectangles! My doctor said I'm supposed to avoid stressful situations!
Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Sudden chomper

Default Chapter 10, Part 2

♪♪Balcony♪♪

Heading through the door at the end of the Final Cave, we find ourselves outside. We've made it
to the top of the island! The rising sun greets us as we set out to explore the Balcony.

This is a pretty sweet statue, but I don't know who it's supposed to be. Interacting with it doesn't
give you any clues.

Because I figured you'd want to see it, I tried jumping off the island to the left. Farewell, cruel world!

To my surprise, the game actually stops you from falling, giving you a stern warning instead.

As if we're going to listen to you, game!

This is the same message that you get when you fall off the Outer Wall. I figured I owed it to you
guys, since I didn't show it off earlier.

Instead of throwing ourselves off the island, we head to the right. Before long, we're knee-deep
in mutant rabbits.

These smaller rabid Mimigas are like the one that ambushed us when we picked up that missile
pack in the abandoned house in Grasstown. They only have about 40 HP, so they've didn't pose a
big problem then and they certainly don't now. That said, at this point I feel a little less OK
about killing them, since they were kidnapped by the Doctor and pressed into mutant service.

Hey, this just might be our ticket out of Crazy Town! Not that I'll ever look at a petting zoo the
same if I get home...

There's a shack! Man, I love shacks.

Amazingly, the music doesn't change when we enter the shack. Maybe Pixel's getting sick of
Gestation, too? Inside the shack, we find a save point, a bed and a bookshelf.

Now this is interesting. What kind of notes did Booster leave for us to find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster
Exploration of the island's interior would be more effectively accomplished,
I suspect, had we equipment to facilitate aerial movement.
Thus, I have duly begun development upon the "Booster".
I choose to believe that nobody in this world has ever used the word booster for anything before
and that our professor just named the jetpack in a fit of egocentrism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster
Development of this flying apparatus will take place in two stages, versions 0.8 and 2.0.
My plans call for v0.8 to be equippable and to allow for a certain amount of hovering.
I'm sure I can complete v2.0, provided I only live long enough.
It promises to be an even more useful item.
That's a really weird thing to say, given that this appears to have been written before the Doctor
seized control. Was Booster expecting the Grim Reaper to show up for him at any time? Did he
cuss out an old gypsy lady? Oh crap, maybe he cussed out Jenka.

As if to underline how thoroughly we failed to save Booster, the game then repeats this line outside
the confines of the usual text box. Clearly, we're supposed to take something away from this phrase,
although just what that is will defy all reason - as we'll see later!

All this philosophizing is making me tired. Nap time!

As we exit the Prefab Building, we find another pair of Mimigas, including a big one that bears
a strong resemblance to old Igor from the Egg Corridor.

We turn King on his mutant brethren. The little guy goes down pretty quickly, but the big one
has as many HP as his boss doppleganger did (about 400!).

Still feel a little crummy about killing them, though.

Here we are at the end of the line, the entrance to the Throne Room. Time to head in?

Nope! Not when there are walls to scale.

At the top, we find a veritable cornucopia of goodness. Enough weapon energy to max out our
whole arsenal, plus some missiles and hearts hidden in the star blocks for good measure. This is
our last stop to gear up before the final fight, so let's take it.

There's a cheeky little sign if you keep heading up to let you know you've reached the top of the world.

If you insist on ascending further, the game fades out and drops you off at the Prefab Building again.
This lets you do another run on the supply stash, in case you still need more missiles or something.

I'm getting a little tired of lagocide, so this time I fly over the Mimigas and leave them in peace.

Igor II fires off a big burst of energy at us, but we don't care, because we've made it to the door.
What mysteries await us in the Throne Room? Can't we just talk it out and call the whole thing off?
War? Huh? What is it good for?

Find out next time, when we reach the thrilling conclusion of Let's Play Cave Story! Huzzah!
Old Today, 04:33 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A BLACK WIND BLOWS THROUGH YOU.

ALL WEAPONS DROP TO LEVEL ONE!
Old Today, 07:30 PM

After the high intensity of the Final Cave, it's jarring to come out above the clouds and to hear the Balcony's sedate music. It's pretty eerie, and along with the reappearance of a former boss, it does a great job of ratcheting up the tension for what comes next. Honestly, the pacing throughout Cave Story is really good.

Oh, and thanks, MCBanjoMike, for taking the time to show off this game. I've got a lot of fond memories of it, and your work on this LP has been top-notch! I'm looking forward to your treatment of the rest of it.

Tags
cave story , dark souls of undertale , huzzah! , indie , let's play , platformers , studio pixel , they're balls of yarn